HOW TO WATER COCO FOR BEST RESULTS.

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not a great idea unless you can add enzymes to help break down the roots and let it sit, wash it, buffer it etc
Yeah there would be a significant amount of decaying organics... its doable IMO and I know a grower who does without issue but were are talking like 25gal containers and fully organic.

Not something I would recommend but not something I can say that it can't be done either.

Fudge

Fudge

Yeah there would be a significant amount of decaying organics... its doable IMO and I know a grower who does without issue but were are talking like 25gal containers and fully organic.

Not something I would recommend but not something I can say that it can't be done either.
Ive come to realise , there aren't many things that can't be done with cannabis it just wants to grow. The price of coco is so cheap, for most of us the cost vs work just isn't worth it. But yes fully agree it is doable. I give mine to a local charity who grow food for anyone who needs it. Luckily the gardener doesn't ask where it comes from, he just knows his tomatoes are the shit 😂

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ive come to realise , there aren't many things that can't be done with cannabis it just wants to grow. The price of coco is so cheap, for most of us the cost vs work just isn't worth it. But yes fully agree it is doable. I give mine to a local charity who grow food for anyone who needs it. Luckily the gardener doesn't ask where it comes from, he just knows his tomatoes are the shit 😂
You a better man than I... sadly mine goes right into the trash.

Enforcer

Enforcer

On the topic of reusing coco. I do at least two weeks of plain water at the end of the run. After harvest, I remove the root ball and reuse the coco. I can usually get away with doing this about 3 times before the coco starts to break down too much and the draining properties of the coco are impaired. This has a few benefits. Save money is one of course. Also, the coco will be “washed” and ready for reuse without the need for the grower to do anything else. All the cation exchange sites will already be charged, so there should be less calcium or magnesium issues. And depending on your IPM, more than likely pest free.

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

Coco isn't cheap for me. Only source is the internet like Amazon. Stuff is usually at min 20-30 bucks a brick

https://www.amazon.com/CANNA-Coco-B...ocphy=9014651&hvtargid=pla-337056899467&psc=1

Lowes is the only local place that has coco within a couple hundred miles.

And this stuff you gotta wash and charge. I ended up buying the cheapest stuff I could buy online. $10 bucks for 8.8 lbs and I throughly washed each brick in a strainer a handful at a time. And I mean a handful.
I then mixed a calmag solution and let it sit for 24 hrs. Then I drained it and have em piled up in totes.

Took me a couple weeks of doing this. Next time I'm buying some more expensive coco.
I'm sure I'm gonna have to have more. I only did around 100 lbs worth.

It had a huge amount of rocks in it and cups worth of sand. Saw pieces of dead animals, plastic and other BS in it.

I found a place where u have to buy $350 worth and shipping is $150 for the good stuff.

Fudge

Fudge

Coco isn't cheap for me. Only source is the internet like Amazon. Stuff is usually at min 20-30 bucks a brick

https://www.amazon.com/CANNA-Coco-B...ocphy=9014651&hvtargid=pla-337056899467&psc=1

And this stuff you gotta wash and charge. I ended up buying the cheapest stuff I could buy online. $10 bucks for 8.8 lbs and I throughly washed each brick in a strainer a handful at a time. And I mean a handful.
I then mixed a calmag solution and let it sit for 24 hrs. Then I drained it and have em piled up in totes.

Took me a couple weeks of doing this. Next time I'm buying some more expensive coco.

It had a huge amount of rocks in it and cups worth of sand. Saw pieces of dead animals, plastic and other BS in it.

I found a place where u have to buy $350 worth and shipping is $150 for the good stuff.
Think I need to get into the shipping business really had no idea prices were that high. Its £9 for 50L to collect here 11 on the net. I always seem to pay through the nose for growing stuff in the UK so it surprises me

Fudge

Fudge

Can you not get this? 50l plus x amount of perlite mixed through works out pretty cheap per pot.

StealthLED

StealthLED

@Aqua Man did you need to drop ec when you gave more feeds? I'm down to 1.4ec now but run off still 2.0 also a few of my fabric pots have a little white stuff on the sides looks like salts...

tobh

tobh

Supporter
You a better man than I... sadly mine goes right into the trash.
ah man. if there wasn't a border between us, I'd say drop it off in my driveway. I could use it in my raised beds. Working on breaking the clay content down, used media is great for the almost no-till style I'm going for.
@Aqua Man did you need to drop ec when you gave more feeds? I'm down to 1.4ec now but run off still 2.0 also a few of my fabric pots have a little white stuff on the sides looks like salts...
yeah, slightly. and run through for a bit more runoff. When I was in coco, every couple weeks I'd run enough through to get the run off EC to the same level as input EC. Especially at the higher EC levels.

StealthLED

StealthLED

ah man. if there wasn't a border between us, I'd say drop it off in my driveway. I could use it in my raised beds. Working on breaking the clay content down, used media is great for the almost no-till style I'm going for.

yeah, slightly. and run through for a bit more runoff. When I was in coco, every couple weeks I'd run enough through to get the run off EC to the same level as input EC. Especially at the higher EC levels.

Would a ec below 1.4 not be too low for week 3 of flower? Not sure if I should flush them with a ec of around 1.0 then put them back on 1.4 and monitor run off?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Would a ec below 1.4 not be too low for week 3 of flower? Not sure if I should flush them with a ec of around 1.0 then put them back on 1.4 and monitor run off?
I was thinking around 1.2, honestly. Not significantly lower as 1.4 is on point for that stage in coco. If you don't want to drop EC, just run 1.4 solution through until your runoff is at 1.4. Your other choice, and something I also used to do, was to run just a calmag solution through every three days, then run normal feed through right after to keep shit in check. It's a monumental waste of water and hella time consuming, but keeps the salts in check.

StealthLED

StealthLED

I was thinking around 1.2, honestly. Not significantly lower as 1.4 is on point for that stage in coco. If you don't want to drop EC, just run 1.4 solution through until your runoff is at 1.4. Your other choice, and something I also used to do, was to run just a calmag solution through every three days, then run normal feed through right after to keep shit in check. It's a monumental waste of water and hella time consuming, but keeps the salts in check.

Cheers mate I'll give them a good flush at 1.4 and take it from there 👍🏼

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

Can you not get this? 50l plus x amount of perlite mixed through works out pretty cheap per pot.

Screenshot 20210108 203010 Samsung Internet

So $45 a bag. I'm using 1 gal smart containers so no perlite needed.
And 50 liter bags that fills 13 gal or 13 containers. I need probably 230 gal worth bare minimum. So around 18 bags.

18 bags x $45 is $810.

Not to mention the attention it would draw in my illegal state of getting all of that lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom