HOW TO WATER COCO FOR BEST RESULTS.

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
soultouch

soultouch

Imo it leaves residual salt build up and needs to be top fed every so often to clear that out. I guess if someone flooded it until the waterline reached the top of the media it would eliminate that issue but I think its just easier to top feed than try and set that up???

Never done it so take this with a grain of salt.
Yes, bottom water I bottom water a coco perlite mix keeping a constant 2 inches of water in the saucer. I used to have to add water/fert solution manually but i automated when i reached 8 to 12 x per day watering under 18 hour days. I was giving each plant from 1 liter to 2 liters per day In this case i use a progressive layer cake coco perlite mix 100P/ 0c, 80p/20c, 60p40 c, 40p/60c/60p,20p/80c, 0p/100c in other words coarser mix to finer from bottom to top. I am using a 30 gallon tall 247 fabric container and the water wicks from saucer level to top of soil about 10 inches above. I have kept a plant alive for nearly 2 years. Next time i may try 10 percent soil mix increments to more finely control the capillary vertical wicking and i will definitely transplant up to 5 to 10 gallon pots for larger plants, wickingincrements, perhaps some pumice or coarse zeolite or biochar in the lowest saturated zone. I occasionally water from the top to leach out any accumulation of salts. If one is worried about the soil remaining too wet and causing root or stem rot, the easist solution is to simply use a taller pot until the soil surface is too high above the water level to widck to the surface. Any problems with fungus gnats were solved with blue ribbon kitty litter from a dollar store, this is diatomaceous earth and probably supplies some amorphous silica. . In a sub irrigated system the temptation is too allow the saucer to dry out. that is risky. the plant roots will then easily grow to the bottom of the container and unless the strain likes wet feet, these terrestrial roots are likely to drow when the saucer is flooded which will invite root rot. If one has very deep saucers, one could indeed flood and drain, but one shuld use a very fast draining mix por the media vertical column will stay saturated for too long and O2 levels will drop dangerously low. In any sub irrigated system, particularly a one which maintains a constant water level and therefore a persistent perched water table will bring any container substrate exactly to CC Container Capacity, or the maximum amount of water that can be held against gravity for that particular "soil mix" . this is why i created a layer cake gradient mix as the coaser perlite is down in the saturated zone and cannot vertically wick as much of a volume of water as coco would, but i go with more coco higher in the pot as it will both hold more water and wick it higher than coarse perlite would. I recently bught a neww moisture sensor to also correlate my calculations with an additional way to verify wetness, particularly at differnet heights withinh the soil column as general WHC and AFP calculatios are for an entire container and container height andsas well as soil ingrediants botyh have a profound effect on how wet a soil may prove to be in use. A 4 inch container will always have less Air Filled Porosity AFP than a taller pot with the exact same soil mix
I am currently measuring the Physical characteristics of various peat, coco and other common soilless ingredients and mixes. At some point in the future i will publish these numbers so that growers can have a more exact idea of how much water their "soil holds" and how much Airspace. when i get more equipment i will be able to determine how much of that max water they can give up to the plant..

soultouch

soultouch

Nice write up it really clears things up.

Would you mind doing a little comparison between coco and another soilless like a promix peat moss and perlite blend?
I will supply some data on various mixes in a week or 2. I also have a vegentronix soil moisture probe and will check to see if Aquamans water volume suggestions throughly wet the volume of media . Since i use inexpensive dry soluble powders i do not mind overwatering and "wasting some water in a Drain to Waste system as i collect all of mine and water my garden outside with it any way. I always prefer to know that i have thoroughly watered the entire root zone ea h time i water. Peat is somewhat hydrophobic and it is possible for water to sometime channel through while still leaving dry zones. I am determing several grades of perlite, vermiculite, zeiolite, Clacined clay, Diatomaceous earth, Coco,, coco chips, Pro Mix BX, some pumice grades, some various consumer grade Black Gold mixes, Ocean Forest

soultouch

soultouch

For discussion sake can you share your reasons for this? Why does it need to dry?

Personally not a believer in the gpw mearument. Imo its an extremely flawed and easily manipulated measurement.
I am not familar with the term gpw measurement. Gross Plant Weight?
Most dont need it anymore. I use canna coco and it comes rinsed and prebuffered and certified pest free.
Most dont need it anymore. I use canna coco and it comes rinsed and prebuffered and certified pest free.
Calcium could be supplied with Calcium NitrateandtheMagnesiumcould be supplied with Magnesium Sulfate, aka Epsom Salts at any dollar store or drug store. Micro Nutrients will not be useful

soultouch

soultouch

How do plants get on when it rains, and the rain is cold? They're going to have to have, whether they like it or not. lol
Placing an inch layer of Gnat Nix on top of the coco works great to prevent gnats. You can also use a layer of perlite, or sand to accomplish the same thing. Basically you’re preventing the adult gnats from getting back into your coco to lay eggs. I use the yellow sticky traps to monitor the level of infestation.
I use Blue Diamond Kitty Litter Diatomaceous Earth 4 pounds for 1 dollar at a dollar store to stop fungus gnats, provide some silica

soultouch

soultouch

In hydro is where it becomes an issue. In coco, soil 75-80f is absolutely perfect also as shown in your chart, my personal experience and some studies. Your absolutely right temps should stay stable and I always suggest watering as close to the rootzone temp as possible to prevent shock. You dont wanna water with high temo water into a cold rootzone thats not what I'm saying. I'm saying we should keep rootzone temps in that range for optimal growth. Not much above 80f things start to go downhill fast but up until then they improve.
Hi Aquaman an automated watering system only helps control soil temperature if the temperature of the water being delivered is heated or cooled. A soil heat mat with a thermostat is a far better way to control root zone temperature. If your irrigation water is cold, the soil temp is going to cool. Of course, outside soils also go through hot cold cycles but the earth has a lot more stabilizing temperature buffering mass so the swings are slower. Dig down a few feet and most soil temps will be at 55 degrees consistently. Ground heat pumps often send loops down to 50 feet or so.

soultouch

soultouch

Coco coir is indeed 100% hydroponic culture therefore fertilizer needs to be soluble at all times that requires over 90% wetness in the pots . Please keep your coco wet at all times . If you treat coco like soil it will give you a soil result and surely worse..
100 percent coco is technically an organic soilless culture vs straight hydro such as DWC Deep Water Culture. I am not clear by what people mean by 30% humdity in the soil as humidity is a water saturation measurement of the air. I am not even sure what you mean by 90%. Do you weigh a freshly heavily watered plant after given a few minutes to freely drain to determine 100% weight or volume lets say this is now 500 grams with the young plant and then when the pots weighs 450 grams they will be at 90%, then you wait till they hit about 400 to 420 grams to water enough to bring back up to 90 percent or do you just water every time it hits 90%. How do you compensate for the biomass weight of the growing plant both root weight and green plant weight?

That aside, i do agree, that if the soil is kept relatively moist without compromising an adequate sir space that the fertilizer solution will be more readily available to plant roots than in a drier soil. In straight hydro or flood and drain system in something like LECA, fertilizer solutions are often 1/2 strength. A weaker solution is easier for the plant roots to suck up the fertilizer and this more dilute solution is also in longer and greater contact with the roots than in most "soil or soiless" systems. A high concentration of salts can create such intense osmotic pressure gradients that water can be SUCKED out of the plant and collapse the cell structure. "At any rate, if posters would precisely explain what they mean by 90% or 30 % humidity others could better understand. I realize there is a lot of bro science out on these forums and some of it is very insightful which is why i come out to read, and some of the advice is Plightful. Even the insightful stuff gets the science wrong sometimes but get good results but for reasons different than they speculate. Its all good--even when the advice is wrong.

Oh by the way, outdoor soil is a different animal than indoor. The physics are different. Outside soils often have unlimited Gravitational head or often a meter or so deep so an average soil that contains 25% air at field capacity if put into a 12 inch pot inside and watered will have 5 to 10% Airspace at Container Capacity inside. For this reason alone one is only inviting problems if they use real field soil in containers {Sand, Silt Clay stuff]. Plus, you have no control over the soil microbiology, Which could be marvelous, but is also likely to contain many pathogens or nematodes, etc that will easily contaminate an entire indoor grow. Not saying it can not be done, just that it is problematic and without a doubt Soil Air Space will definitely be lower in a shallow container than in a real garden.

soultouch

soultouch

I use Blue Diamond Kitty Litter Diatomaceous Earth 4 pounds for 1 dollar at a dollar store to stop fungus gnats, provide some silica
@chemistry. Cold Rain water gets moderated by the bigger soil thermal mass. Indoor container temperatures will eventually get to air temp and only the water temp will raise or lower the temp unless one uses a heat mat or some other root heating tech

soultouch

soultouch

Ive been feeding one at 650 and still get runoff over 1000 after 4 days.and have had to keep flushing it.the other plant id get to 6-7 days..its got me beat ..i kept thinking the 4 holes and root mass the salts are battling to get out...simply put these 2 plants must b light feeders.
@Madmax, Feeding at 650 and leachate is 1000 ppm consistently suggests to me that as the roots are drawing up the nutrient solution, more water is proportionally drawn into the plant and with evapotranspiration, the nutrient solution in the soil is actually getting more concentrated between waterings. Then when you water some of the new solutions drains through and rinses some of this extra concentrated solution down and out as well. You could possibly reduce the concentration a little or water more frequently and that might bring down the runoff concentration, but might also keep your soil too wet

soultouch

soultouch

I went from just 2 to 4 events in a day and saw a huge improvement already. I still need to work out the details to increase those numbers and deal with runoff etc and fine tune everything but its obvious already the more frequent and steady the better. 👍
I had some plants in gallon containers and they were sucking 250 plus mls every 1 to 2 hours and sucking up any runoff in the saucer so yes even small 3 foot plant can suck up that much water. One day i slept in and they went 4.5 hours and i lost 2 of my plants

chemistry

chemistry

@chemistry. Cold Rain water gets moderated by the bigger soil thermal mass. Indoor container temperatures will eventually get to air temp and only the water temp will raise or lower the temp unless one uses a heat mat or some other root heating tech

Depends on how much sun your soil gets prior to the rain. I live in a temperate zone, so outdoors in our growing season we have warm rain, as nothing grows here in the Winter, so we don't get cold rain on our plants. Indoors in the Winter I use a water heater to pre-warm my nuits to the right tempreture, and if I'm in early veg where a lot of my medium is in view of my lights, the nuits, run to waste, come out warmer than they went in. But in flower, because of the canopy blocking out the light, the nuits come out colder than they went in. The variables are vast.

soultouch

soultouch

I have situation in 3gal pots coco perlite mix. Feeding 2 times 1200ml getting 10% runoff. Input EC 800 output came out yesterday at 350. Poured 4 l of 800ec solution through each pot EC output at about 500-550. Do I need to up to 3-4 times a day? I need to put them in flower ASAP so I want to tune in EC. Im waiting to final part for automation to come so now im hand watering.
Good share. Do you have volumes for your run off? With those measurements you could actually measure how much fertilizer your plant actually absorbed from the above examples. With the EC800 Runoff 350 you plant was sucking out about 500 ec as it passed through the container. When you flushed with 4 Liters of 800EC the EC of the Runoff was higher so less of a percentage of the fertilizer was being used but in all likelihood, in the second scenario the plant actually uptook a higher quantity of fertilizer, but you would have to track input volume, input ec, out put volumes and output ecs to reasonably work out what the plant is actually using.

Fudge

Fudge

I am not familar with the term gpw measurement. Gross Plant Weight?

Calcium could be supplied with Calcium NitrateandtheMagnesiumcould be supplied with Magnesium Sulfate, aka Epsom Salts at any dollar store or drug store. Micro Nutrients will not be useful
Gram per watt i think lol

soultouch

soultouch

The best results for coco i have found to date is during vege using 5gal air pots is drench it then let it dry out for 2-3 days depends on how the temps have been so the roots can stretch right out in search for water and then in flower i run a drip irrigation and keep it constantly wet. On my 3rd grow of using this method and have had back to back 42oz pulls off 8 clones with only an 8 week vege
I think this is one of the most asked questions when it comes to coco. As for myself I've tried everything. I think it's up to the grower, depanding on my time I ll feed 3-4 times a day and some days I ll water every other day. I have adopted the feed/water/feed schedule, watering with Cal mag. I know some growers will tell you to never to give it plain water etc. This is what worked for me
I personally never feed water feed water . You can rinse or leach out a high salt concentration by simply using a lower concentration of solution but use extra to thoroughly wet the soil. I am sure you results are fine, but with clean water will simply wash all the nutrients out and your roots will keep cycling through feast and famine cycles, This will not be optimal

soultouch

soultouch

What we are trying to achieve is called cyclical watering. The plant will become accustomed to the frequent fertigation events and increase growth exponentially. But please keep in mind frequently watering is not the only concern. Temp, humidity, light intensity, air flow, pot size, amount of drainage, and nutrient strength all play a role. If a few of these are out of parameters, it will result in a less than optimal outcome. But the most important thing to remember is this style of growing IS NOT SOIL. You can add dry amendments to your coco and then it would be comparable to a soil grow, and I would agree with some dry time. But with multiple fertigations in plain coco, the only time the plant has access to nutrients is in the water. So if you’re not watering, they’re not eating and you will have issues. This style is not for everyone. IMO, auto watering from a reservoir is a must have. Once you get everything dialed in, it’s almost set and forget.
@Enforcer, not sure i entirely agree with you statement that you can add dry amendments to your coco to make it more like soil. What would you consider dry amendments? Except for some grow media like coco which can internally hold some water like a sponge, all physical characteristics of grow media and soil are predominately determined by the particle size of consitutents and the mixing of these particle sizes. For instance when making a cubic yard of concrete about 1.5 cubic yards of ingrediants are used of rock, sand and cement. The sand fills in voids between the rock and the cement fines fill in between the sand and also have some chemical and hygroscopic reactions. Greenhouse media are often a combination of organic and inorganic components. Coco mixed with perlite would be one such example. Is Perlite a dry amendment? I think so and while it comes in many grades, horticulturally coarser grades are used with peat and coco mixes and reduce bulk density, reduce water holding capacity, and increase drainage and Air Filled Porosity which would make a peat lite or coco perlite mix even less like soil than straight coco or peat. Even large sand grains in soil are smaller than the particle sizes used in most professional grow mixes. Some clay particles are so fine that they remain suspended in water for many days and almost never settle in a sedimentation column.

As far as cyclical water, i agree that more frequent micro fertigations will tend to optimize uniformity and delivery of nutrient water but this again will vary with the physical characteristics of the media and the container geometry. Maintaining Readily Available water to make sucking up water easy but still maintaining an optimal airspace is the real pot of gold at the end of the rainbow in my opinion.

soultouch

soultouch

Gram per watt i think lol
Of course, if they were talking about yields per watt of lighting, i would have figured it out, but figuring out watering needs on a gram per watt consideration does not really compute.

soultouch

soultouch

Autopots don't need to be top fed after the wicking system is first turned on. After transplant, plants are top fed until their roots reach the bottom. When the wicking is turned on only the top 1-2cm of the rhizosphere will dry out leaving no effective salt build up that will affect the roots. As long as the roots are fully grown and the coco EC isn't high when wicking starts it doesn't cause an issue.

Autopots should not be top fed from then on to keep that top salt build up from washing into the root zone. After centimeters are dry there's no future risk of toxicity or lockout unless water is reintroduced. The only situation that can be a problem is when feeding full strength fertigation right up to the day wicking turns on and continuing to feed high EC for the days directly after as this would obviously stack the coco EC.

I got this info from Autopot so this is how it was intended to be used, at least. Just thought I'd spread what info I have. Wicking systems are a bit strange but they can have their benefits like providing constant fertigation, constant access to oxygen, and a more stable living environment for soil microbiology to set up camp. Also they're a much more sustainable way to use hydroponics than drain to waste, which I feel needs to change on the large scale due to how polluted the water and soil already is from poor agricultural practices over the years. On the small scale I doubt its a drop in the bucket, though
Autopots are certainly clever with the 2 level auto valve but some of the claims make little scientific sense to me. OctaPots are similar and just use a float valve or master float valve to keep saucers at a constant level whereas the autopot fills to an inch and then lets the water in the saucer almost completely dry before the refill water is triggered to come up to one inch. This cyclic draining encourages autopot roots to grow all the way to the bottom and with the next flooding some terrestrial roots may begin to drown. This is not likely with the Octapot system where a constant level of water prevents air loving terrestrial roots from growing where the media is simply too saturated Of course, Cannabis can adapt and grow aquatic type roots, larger smoother roots with fewer root hairs. In a way OctaPots water prune as much as Air prune. Some people add some airstones or an inverted net pot in the bottom of the grow bag to ensure even more oxygen diffision and because the AutoPot only cycles from zero to 1 inch there is probably enough oxygen as well just like with an NFT system.

However, "AutoPots should not be top fed to prevent top salt build up from washing into the root zone is not true The accumulation of salts on the soil surface will always happen eventually with sub irrigation. And if your soil is coarse enough that the autopot does not wick water all the way to the surface but leaves the top 1 to 2 cm dry does not eliminate the salt build up. In fact now a potentially toxic salt accumulation is happening but you can not see it. , Possibly the salt concentration can be so high that any root tips that come into contact will chemical prune back, but somewhere in there some roots will come into contact with a salt concentration that is both unbalanced and too hot.. The unbalanced part could lead to some lockout issues because of ph or cause some toxicities or deficiencies. The bigger problem is likely the too hot where the concentration of solutes in that zone will begin to suck the water out of the plant or at least make that water osmostically hard to uptake.
If the crop cycle were short enough, maybe the salt accumulation is not big deal, but i have had a plant alive for almost 2 years in 2 inches of constant flood water at the bottom and i can water from the top any time i want. If there is a big salt build up, one should not just water but really flush with ample volumes of water

There are several clear advantages that sub irrigation systems do provide. They will water every single mix in any size container to Container Capacity, which means that the media in that container will hold the maximum amount of water against the force of gravity. That water will be held at 0 Matric Tension which means plant roots will suck up the water with almost zero work. Of course, the choice of media will dictate how high the perched water table or saturated zone is above the container bottom. For instance a Clay soil may be saturated 3 inches above the bottom of the container so it would not be ideal to fill a 4 inch container with clay and expect to grow successfully. The perched water table in sand may be an inch above the bottom so growing in a 4 inch container might work better than clay. Nevertheless, both the clay and sand will provide the maximum amount of freely available water that each material can hold against the force of gravity.
A clever way to avoid any problem with Wet Feet in a sub irrigated setup is to use a container that is taller by at least the height of the perched water table plus the depth of the saucer or reservoir water. In my case where i used a 2 inch deep saucer, I simply used a 247 tall fabric pot instead of a short squatty pot of the same volume. One can also make sure they play with their mix until they find a mix that can wick water almost to the surface of the container mix but still have enough coarse particles to provide Air Space. Another way to moderate wicking rise and Airspace is to make a gradient mix slowly going from coarse bottom material to finer particle sizes toward the top of the container to provide more airspace to the lower, wetter parts of the soil. Placing an inverted pot or net pot wrapped in pantyhose is also a good way to displace the wettest part of any container with an air filled void which also encourages increased air exchange through the media profile and keeping the standing saucer water more aerated as well. When i get some extra money i am going to test ride both the autopot and the octapot and compare them to my own similar designs and variations.

BTW, Wicking Systems do not necessarily provide Constant access to oxygen. A fast draining mix watered from the top will actually suck in air as the water drains from the bottom. A wicking system will never suck in air, but it will also never temporarily saturate the Air Voids and will hold any media in a perpetual optimal easy water step. In my example above where i used clay sized particles, There would be a lack of oxygen whether water from above or from below. It is true that a shallow depth of water will have slightly more oxygen than a deeper depth. It is the amount of water surface area exposed to oxygen and more particularly how much oxygen can get into water voids where the grow media inside the grow bag is. Since both Ocatpots and AutoPots use breathable fabric bags there is some diffusion of oxygen, but in the bottom center of the bag where coco or coco perlite is saturated in static moving water there is considerbly less oxygen than in the surrounding water outside the pot.

Just so you can trust what I am disputing with the sales literature you were sharing. It could be said that i am one of the Pioneers of Greenhouse sub-irrigation. In fact I think i published a few years before Kratky. I literally invented Greenhouse subirrigation in 1989 [a simpler less polished version to be sure than autopots and OctaPots] and published the concept of CFI aka Constant Flood Irrigation System in HortScience in Nov 1992] I simply placed experiment plants in individual oversized saucers and used a fertilizer proportion and drop in weighted drip emitters to top off the saucers eight times a day with short enough timing to minimize the overflow waste, but the same concept. My experiment consisted of thousands of plants in over a dozen different media mixtures and this was the best way i could think of to water the plants most equivalently

soultouch

soultouch

Autopots are certainly clever with the 2 level auto valve but some of the claims make little scientific sense to me. OctaPots are similar and just use a float valve or master float valve to keep saucers at a constant level whereas the autopot fills to an inch and then lets the water in the saucer almost completely dry before the refill water is triggered to come up to one inch. This cyclic draining encourages autopot roots to grow all the way to the bottom and with the next flooding some terrestrial roots may begin to drown. This is not likely with the Octapot system where a constant level of water prevents air loving terrestrial roots from growing where the media is simply too saturated Of course, Cannabis can adapt and grow aquatic type roots, larger smoother roots with fewer root hairs. In a way OctaPots water prune as much as Air prune. Some people add some airstones or an inverted net pot in the bottom of the grow bag to ensure even more oxygen diffision and because the AutoPot only cycles from zero to 1 inch there is probably enough oxygen as well just like with an NFT system.

However, "AutoPots should not be top fed to prevent top salt build up from washing into the root zone is not true The accumulation of salts on the soil surface will always happen eventually with sub irrigation. And if your soil is coarse enough that the autopot does not wick water all the way to the surface but leaves the top 1 to 2 cm dry does not eliminate the salt build up. In fact now a potentially toxic salt accumulation is happening but you can not see it. , Possibly the salt concentration can be so high that any root tips that come into contact will chemical prune back, but somewhere in there some roots will come into contact with a salt concentration that is both unbalanced and too hot.. The unbalanced part could lead to some lockout issues because of ph or cause some toxicities or deficiencies. The bigger problem is likely the too hot where the concentration of solutes in that zone will begin to suck the water out of the plant or at least make that water osmostically hard to uptake.
If the crop cycle were short enough, maybe the salt accumulation is not big deal, but i have had a plant alive for almost 2 years in 2 inches of constant flood water at the bottom and i can water from the top any time i want. If there is a big salt build up, one should not just water but really flush with ample volumes of water

There are several clear advantages that sub irrigation systems do provide. They will water every single mix in any size container to Container Capacity, which means that the media in that container will hold the maximum amount of water against the force of gravity. That water will be held at 0 Matric Tension which means plant roots will suck up the water with almost zero work. Of course, the choice of media will dictate how high the perched water table or saturated zone is above the container bottom. For instance a Clay soil may be saturated 3 inches above the bottom of the container so it would not be ideal to fill a 4 inch container with clay and expect to grow successfully. The perched water table in sand may be an inch above the bottom so growing in a 4 inch container might work better than clay. Nevertheless, both the clay and sand will provide the maximum amount of freely available water that each material can hold against the force of gravity.
A clever way to avoid any problem with Wet Feet in a sub irrigated setup is to use a container that is taller by at least the height of the perched water table plus the depth of the saucer or reservoir water. In my case where i used a 2 inch deep saucer, I simply used a 247 tall fabric pot instead of a short squatty pot of the same volume. One can also make sure they play with their mix until they find a mix that can wick water almost to the surface of the container mix but still have enough coarse particles to provide Air Space. Another way to moderate wicking rise and Airspace is to make a gradient mix slowly going from coarse bottom material to finer particle sizes toward the top of the container to provide more airspace to the lower, wetter parts of the soil. Placing an inverted pot or net pot wrapped in pantyhose is also a good way to displace the wettest part of any container with an air filled void which also encourages increased air exchange through the media profile and keeping the standing saucer water more aerated as well. When i get some extra money i am going to test ride both the autopot and the octapot and compare them to my own similar designs and variations.

BTW, Wicking Systems do not necessarily provide Constant access to oxygen. A fast draining mix watered from the top will actually suck in air as the water drains from the bottom. A wicking system will never suck in air, but it will also never temporarily saturate the Air Voids and will hold any media in a perpetual optimal easy water step. In my example above where i used clay sized particles, There would be a lack of oxygen whether water from above or from below. It is true that a shallow depth of water will have slightly more oxygen than a deeper depth. It is the amount of water surface area exposed to oxygen and more particularly how much oxygen can get into water voids where the grow media inside the grow bag is. Since both Ocatpots and AutoPots use breathable fabric bags there is some diffusion of oxygen, but in the bottom center of the bag where coco or coco perlite is saturated in static moving water there is considerbly less oxygen than in the surrounding water outside the pot.

Just so you can trust what I am disputing with the sales literature you were sharing. It could be said that i am one of the Pioneers of Greenhouse sub-irrigation. In fact I think i published a few years before Kratky. I literally invented Greenhouse subirrigation in 1989 [a simpler less polished version to be sure than autopots and OctaPots] and published the concept of CFI aka Constant Flood Irrigation System in HortScience in Nov 1992] I simply placed experiment plants in individual oversized saucers and used a fertilizer proportion and drop in weighted drip emitters to top off the saucers eight times a day with short enough timing to minimize the overflow waste, but the same concept. My experiment consisted of thousands of plants in over a dozen different media mixtures and this was the best way i could think of to water the plants most equivalently

soultouch

soultouch

Im still only watering once ha..its 5 gal pot though.im running crazy runoff atm and that is the key ..2 ltrs in 1 ltr out..its wasteful but its kept ppm of run off 50ppm under or same going in..truthfully i could get away with once every 2 days.atm the saturation isnt dropping below 80% so bigger pots have more leeway but i like running more oxygen through ea feed.i might even start bubbling it before feed ..
Are you using a bubbler under each plant or are you using a bubbler in the solution reservoir. I would recommend using a sipon venturi to suck air into the water line as the solution flows to the plants. This creates a much smaller bubble and the diffusion is much greater than using an airpump
+ which most of the bubbles escape before they even enter the water line. A cheap way to go is to use a hozon or siphonex valve, though there are cheap venturis on eBay or you can use a lab sink hose siphon, they are like $20 and suck in one part air to 5 part waters that pass through the nozzle

soultouch

soultouch

@Aqua Man what drippers are they you use? I noticed you have 4 per pot. I'm using the blue wilma drippers, they're more open ended tbh you get a lot of flow and I think they maybe causing this slight problem I have.

I get 350ml per minute flow from them so it flows fast through my pots. If I slow the flow from the pump I'm not sure if water distribution will be very good across 20 pots. I've just hand fed them all 1lt each with some great white I do this every few weeks, I checked the ec while doing this and it was 2.8 but with the drippers it's only coming out at 1.8 so I'm wondering if the flow is too fast through the coco and not flushing the whole pot just the stream where the water flows through the pot to fast?
You could use some cut pieces of capillary matting, that undercarpet felt looking stuff to help distribute the water a little more evenly before it just plunges through the media. They make those green plastic water distributors for the top of rockwool cubes, one emitter to each half. thinking of 3 d printing a round pot prototype of something similar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom