HOW TO WATER COCO FOR BEST RESULTS.

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

18 pressure compensating woodpecker jr 2gph emitters on a ~25 foot line of 1/2 inch poly with an inline filter. It's probably overkill idk what i was thinking when i bought it i was a little ripped lol.
They have a psi requirement? id imagine a pump that 100gph with an adequate psi for the emitters would suffice if never planning to swap out the emitters for a higher gph rating which imo is likely

WaitWut405

WaitWut405

They have a psi requirement? id imagine a pump that 100gph with an adequate psi for the emitters would suffice if never planning to swap out the emitters for a higher gph rating which imo is likely
They have an optimal operating pressure of 10-45 psi , I think they will be ok, a 5% shot size should take about 8 minutes to achieve with a 2gph emitter in 5 gallon pots. Really dreading hand watering them until that hydrolock comes in, hopefully I see it before Sunday.

WaitWut405

WaitWut405

Really though most the submersible pumps that are low pressure simply don't put out enough pressure to generate the lift to get out of my reservoir and also meet that requirement, my 1056 gph ecoplus waterfall pump cant put out the pressure to operate the emitters. I guess the flow rate is kind of negligible if it doesn't operate within the intended psi range of your other components.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Really though most the the submersible pumps that are low pressure simply just dont put out enough pressure to generate the lift to get out of my reservoir and also meet that requirement, my 1056 gph ecoplus waterfall pump cant put out the pressure to operate the emitters. I guess the flow rate is kind of negligible if it doesn't operate within the intended psi range of your other components.
This is very true head pressure must be calculated and considered

DarkCoast

DarkCoast

The formula:

1.Feed 5% of the pot size as your nutrient solution.
2. Of that we want 10-20% to come out as run off.
3. If you get more you can lower the frequency.
4. If we get less we need to increase the frequency and for that feed we need to add more to get our run off.

So I will do the calculations up to 5gal below to save you all some time. Feed the amount listed and check to make sure you get runoff of the amount listed from there adjust to dial in the feedings as they will change as the plants grow.

REMEMBER THIS IS A GUIDLINE AND NOT A HARD RULE. Our goal is to get as close as reasonably possible. It's not gonna kill your plants if its not exact.

I'm gonna round up.

1gal. Feed 250ml get 25-50ml of runoff

2gal. Feed 500ml get 50-100ml of runoff.

3gal. Feed 750ml get 75-150ml of runoff.

5 gal Feed 1litre get 100-200ml of runoff.

First of all, thanks for the write up. However, I would like to clear some things up. Are you saying to aim for 10-20% runoff every watering? I usually water 250ml throughout the day and aim for runoff to begin towards my last waterings of the say. So say I water 8 times per day in 2gal pots. I'd want the last 2-3 waterings to start having runoff. Thats just the way I do it but im always open to other methods.

Lets use your method with a 2gal pot for example. You feed it 500ml and get 10-20% runoff, when is your next feeding? how do you determine how many times to feed per day?

DarkCoast

DarkCoast

Forgot to mention, I purchased some cheap Ecowitt soil moisture sensors ($20 each!) and a wifi gateway. I can now monitor the drybacks in real time in exportable data. Pretty amazing for crop steering, and serves the same function as a $600 Aroya or Growlink (mostly). Very impressed

Bro, thank you for this! The Aroya is robbery. I hate how everything marketed towards the cannabis industry is marked up 1000%. I just ordered 8 of these and the wifi hub. How have they been working for you? What % dry backs are you aiming for on them?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

First of all, thanks for the write up. However, I would like to clear some things up. Are you saying to aim for 10-20% runoff every watering? I usually water 250ml throughout the day and aim for runoff to begin towards my last waterings of the say. So say I water 8 times per day in 2gal pots. I'd want the last 2-3 waterings to start having runoff. Thats just the way I do it but im always open to other methods.

Lets use your method with a 2gal pot for example. You feed it 500ml and get 10-20% runoff, when is your next feeding? how do you determine how many times to feed per day?
So you feed 500ml if you were to collect the runoff from that feeding you would want to see 50-100ml come out for each feed. This will prevent nutrient buildup which causes ph, salinity and uptake issues.

If you feed say 3 times a day on 18/6 light it would look something like this…

Light go on 15-30 min later first feed say 8am (first feed can be low runoff if feeding 3 times a day. But again tgis is not a hard rule. Feeding to often is better than not often enough if you mix quality coco and perlite in the ratios I suggested)

Then second feed at 4 pm

Then third 12am and light go out at 2am. This allows 2 hrs of uotake before the lights go out and transpiration slows.

In a 2 gal pot 3x a day is likely the most unless you have a longer veg time with narrow pots and higher temp and airflow

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
So you feed 500ml if you were to collect the runoff from that feeding you would want to see 50-100ml come out for each feed. This will prevent nutrient buildup which causes ph, salinity and uptake issues.

If you feed say 3 times a day on 18/6 light it would look something like this…

Light go on 15-30 min later first feed say 8am (first feed can be low runoff if feeding 3 times a day. But again tgis is not a hard rule. Feeding to often is better than not often enough if you mix quality coco and perlite in the ratios I suggested)

Then second feed at 4 pm

Then third 12am and light go out at 2am. This allows 2 hrs of uotake before the lights go out and transpiration slows.

In a 2 gal pot 3x a day is likely the most unless you have a longer veg time with narrow pots and higher temp and airflow
Yea; I've been hitting mine more during the day; trying to keep up with multiple feeds. I do let them cycle almost dry ever now and again; but doing more small feedings.

Been adding the foamy 1 triacontanol, a little water soluble fluvic acids and some occasional weekly concentrated yucca saponins into there also; just to keep everything under control; wanting to understand more about enzyme activity and biotic and eliciting abiotic stress responses these days.

Just misted; and watered. Mostly Bubba Kush buds (pre98) cuttings sitting in 1 gals; but there heading outside this season. Roots are tight. Need a transplant; but hopefully I can get another week or two. So there not beastly heavy for the transport out to the land; although 2 gal's aren't much bigger; and would give them a little head start. Need to consider.
PXL 20220510 050736312

Last edited:
Observationist

Observationist

Yea; I've been hitting mine more during the day; trying to keep up with multiple feeds. I do let them cycle almost dry ever now and again; but doing more small feedings.

Been adding the foamy 1 triacontanol, a little water soluble fluvic acids and some occasional weekly concentrated yucca saponins into there also; just to keep everything under control; wanting to understand more about enzyme activity and biotic and eliciting abiotic stress responses these days.

Just misted; and watered. Mostly Bubba Kush buds (pre98) cuttings sitting in 1 gals; but there heading outside this season. Roots are tight. Need a transplant; but hopefully I can get another week or two. So there not beastly heavy for the transport out to the land; although 2 gal's aren't much bigger; and would give them a little head start. Need to consider.
View attachment 1243469
whats ur 1-triacontanol product?

i read you need to mix it with polysorbate-20 to make it emulsify, so curious what youre using along with the water soluble fulvic acids.

i was using new millenium ruby fulvic

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 1243469
Looking great brother… how ya been?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Looking great brother… how ya been?
Good; moving and busy. Sore but dealing with it; and the naysayers can go fuck themselves. 😆
I'm just making some adjustments; and trying not to lose my mind. re-calibrating life. (sorting relationships) Should be moved by end of the month; at latest. (hopefully)

Onwards to finding new cheap flowering supplements...

What's your thoughts on hydrolyzed bone broth??....(in small amounts) ever heard of it being used? (flowering) My biggest concern would be the sodium content; but it's fairly low on this type (low sodium) The complexity of the proteins is quite interesting; but I can probably work with it; if it's entirely soluble. Did the maths; and it's less than 3/4 of 1% sodium by weight.... in this stuff.

Probably some interesting combinations can be obtained with this kind of thing; I suspect. Breaking down some of the acids further. That glycine there is really important one for reducing neuropathic pain... receptors.. Glycine is an interesting amino acid to work with IMO. I drink this crap like tea also. 🤣 Taste like bones...

Glycine synthesizes many important compounds in vivo. It can generate purine compounds with ammonia, formic acid and carbon dioxide and synthesize porphyrins with succinic acid. It plays the role of detoxification in the human body.

By far, glycine is one of the most widely used amino acid in plant nutrition. It is often used for production of a wide range of aminochelate fertilizers (amino acid-chelated nutrients). Exogenous application of amino acids can increase nitrogen status and concentration of mineral elements in plant tissues

Proline, an amino acid, plays an important role in plants. It protects the plants from various stresses and also helps plants to recover from stress more rapidly.

The hydroxyproline-containing proteins (HCPs) among secretory and vacuolar proteins play important roles in growth and development of higher plants.

N-arachidonoyl glycine (NAGly) and Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC) signaling via GPR18 has been introduced as an important new target in microglial–neuronal communication. Our hypothesis is that endogenous NAGly-GPR18 signaling regulates phenotypic shape and cytokine production in microglia, and is mimicked by Δ9-THC in the BV-2 microglia model system. BV-2 microglia were exposed to NAGly and Δ9-THC or Vh for 12 h, which resulted in significant differences in the cell morphologies expressed. ($2 mumbo jumbo for a THC/glycine molecule combo; binding onto your neurons) N-Arachidonyl glycine receptor (NAGly receptor), also known as G protein-coupled receptor 18 (GPR18), is a protein that in humans is encoded by the GPR18 gene.

In HEK293 cells and cortical neurons, cocaine-induced dysfunction of the glycine receptor (GlyR) is restored by cannabinoids. Such restoration is blocked by GlyRα1S296A mutation. Consistently, the therapeutic effects of cannabinoids on CISs are also eliminated in GlyRα1S296A mutant mice. Based on molecular dynamic simulation, the hydrogen-bonding interaction between cocaine and the GlyR is weakened by cannabinoid docking.

PXL 20220512 080124047
Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
So I guess my short version of the question is; do you think trace amounts of sodium can be tolerated (less than 1% by dry weight) Before the water is added into the equation; which (should) bring it down to ppm levels...

ie. 1/16>>>1/4 tsp per gallon H20; I'll counter any excessive acidity with probably calcium hydroxide. After mixing in my salts in order.

This stuff is much cheaper; and has a wider variety of aminos than some of the other stuff I've been using. sodium gives me pause... I know it can be a potential problem.

Certainly the ratio's are different. Been working with hydrolyzed kelp also of late. Alkaline hydrolysis of Ascophyllum Nodosum contains nutrients, enzymes, amino acids, humic acids, Sulfur, Magnesium, Calcium, Sodium, Boron, Iron, Manganese, Copper, Zinc, and carbohydrates. >60 elements.

This is maybe the other one I want to screw around with... 😁 Quarts are $22 and gallons are $42... Certainly lots of ways to do something...

Spice of life.
S l1600 97

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So I guess my short version of the question is; do you think trace amounts of sodium can be tolerated (less than 1% by dry weight) Before the water is added into the equation; which (should) bring it down to ppm levels...

ie. 1/16>>>1/4 tsp per gallon H20; I'll counter any excessive acidity with probably calcium hydroxide. After mixing in my salts in order.

This stuff is much cheaper; and has a wider variety of aminos than some of the other stuff I've been using. sodium gives me pause... I know it can be a potential problem.

Certainly the ratio's are different. Been working with hydrolyzed kelp also of late. Alkaline hydrolysis of Ascophyllum Nodosum contains nutrients, enzymes, amino acids, humic acids, Sulfur, Magnesium, Calcium, Sodium, Boron, Iron, Manganese, Copper, Zinc, and carbohydrates. >60 elements.

This is maybe the other one I want to screw around with... 😁 Quarts are $22 and gallons are $42... Certainly lots of ways to do something...

Spice of life.
View attachment 1244162
Good for you brother, i have no answer but sodium under 20ppm is a good idea. When it comes to organics id say your knowledge is leaps and bounds ahead of mine so maybe a test run on a single plant?

What your saying makes sense to me but just choose to stick to the synthetic bioavailable sources. So long as you have the species to break it down and sodium is in check i cant see why it wouldnt be ok

GrassMeister

GrassMeister

Ya u can buy cannazyme or just a simple pond barely based formula. This is much much cheaper. Or u could brew your own.

Save your coco and your money
would you have the formula by any chance? looking to reuse my coco, i have about 170 5gal pots lol would kill me to see it in the trash

strider26554

strider26554

You can, but I would only do that in a sterilized system with no microbes and strict pH monitoring. Otherwise, the risk of spreading a pathogen or virus from one plant to all of them goes up quite a bit.
re using runoff, even under the best of set ups,,is a bit risky

strider26554

strider26554

meant to ask you. Did you add extra lime to counter the vermiculite? Did it raise the ph? Do you know if diatanatious earth raises ph? Im just thinking of mix in silica additions rather than the protekt.
i use dolomatic lime, it will counter the vermiculite and buffers well

strider26554

strider26554

Placing an inch layer of Gnat Nix on top of the coco works great to prevent gnats. You can also use a layer of perlite, or sand to accomplish the same thing. Basically you’re preventing the adult gnats from getting back into your coco to lay eggs. I use the yellow sticky traps to monitor the level of infestation.
sticky traps a must, layers of sand do not work as well as wood shvings, i have found a later of aspen bedding, or cedar the kind used for rabbtt bedding works wonders but aqua is right prevention is key

Z

zebracake

Spice of life.
View attachment 1244162
I've been using ferti nitro plus for amino acids. It's my first time using it so I can't give a review of it but my plants are looking good. I'm only using 250mg per gallon since it has 13.62% Nitrogen. The recommended dose is a gram per gallon but I think that's the recommended for soil. Here's the ratios of aminos:

Screen Shot 2022 07 30 at 110928
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom