HOW TO WATER COCO FOR BEST RESULTS.

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madmax

Madmax

I reckon spraying would b heaps better.its quicker and your plants roots arnt going to b continuously saturated ..oldskols onto it ..that pump makes a freaky noise haha..

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Yeah its a diaphram pump... great for pressure but low gph.
i bought a 1/10 transfer pump,thinking i could hook the 30 ft of hose to a 1/2 pvc pipe with hose drilled in it every foot ,has blanked end,i use it to slide down the furrows of my corn stand so i dont have to water from the top,that 1/10 only has enough pressure to send water half way down the pipe,folks on amazon rated it 4 stars because of how loud it is,huh if they call that loud what have they been using thats quite,i can barley tell it on.
anyway guess i will go up to a 1/2 hp unit

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i bought a 1/10 transfer pump,thinking i could hook the 30 ft of hose to a 1/2 pvc pipe with hose drilled in it every foot ,has blanked end,i use it to slide down the furrows of my corn stand so i dont have to water from the top,that 1/10 only has enough pressure to send water half way down the pipe,folks on amazon rated it 4 stars because of how loud it is,huh if they call that loud what have they been using thats quite,i can barley tell it on.
anyway guess i will go up to a 1/2 hp unit
Like a pond pump?

Ever think of a small water tower you can fill with a garden hose and just use gravity?

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Mine sprays. But either work... I did it this way so if I use bugger pots I don't need more lines to each pot for even watering. Once you hit prob 3 gal pots with drippers you may want 2 lines per pot but I can't say I have personal experience with that.
I'm jealous. Wish I could come up with a system like that was portable and compact. Like clip on dripper's or something, then I could just elevate everything in the bin, and it would essentially work like a flood table of sorts.

Probably would create too much humidity issues for me in there anyhow. It would certainly be much easier.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm jealous. Wish I could come up with a system like that was portable and compact. Like clip on dripper's or something, then I could just elevate everything in the bin, and it would essentially work like a flood table of sorts.

Probably would create too much humidity issues for me in there anyhow. It would certainly be much easier.
So easy bro you can do a gravity drip feed soooo easy.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Like a pond pump?

Ever think of a small water tower you can fill with a garden hose and just use gravity?
i got a 250 gal IBC caged tote,i got it 2ft above the whole garden and my intentions were gravity feeding,that didnt work at all out to about 20 ft it took forever to feed but did,and the rest of garden got nill.
my plan is to put a 3/4 in pvc pipe with ball valves all around the garden and just hook a hose were needed

Moshmen

Moshmen

So easy bro you can do a gravity drip feed soooo easy.
+1 - I’m just nervous switching to coco - I’m just getting the soil shit figured out
Nice set up, nice work as expected from you! Lol 😜, I mean that in the nicest way possible , lol be nice to see that filled up green

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i got a 250 gal IBC caged tote,i got it 2ft above the whole garden and my intentions were gravity feeding,that didnt work at all out to about 20 ft it took forever to feed but did,and the rest of garden got nill.
my plan is to put a 3/4 in pvc pipe with ball valves all around the garden and just hook a hose were needed
Was gonna day bigger pipe and smaller holes.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

+1 - I’m just nervous switching to coco - I’m just getting the soil shit figured out
Nice set up, nice work as expected from you! Lol 😜, I mean that in the nicest way possible , lol be nice to see that filled up green
That was just before flip and moving plants to the other spot. 4 different strains started 2-3 weeks apart so was a pita trying to keep em pruned and even lol.

20201130 094023
Jakecan

Jakecan

I'm unsure if this has been answered, but what are your thoughts on Bottom Feeding Coco?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm unsure if this has been answered, but what are your thoughts on Bottom Feeding Coco?
I dont like it because of residual minerals. That goes for any bottom feed system. You can absolutely do it and do it well but you must top feed every so often to clear them out.

I haven't done bottom feed but it will keep the saturation zone soaking while the top will remain dry depending on flood height.

This will give some insight on how watering and media mechanics work.

Jakecan

Jakecan

I dont like it because of residual minerals. That goes for any bottom feed system. You can absolutely do it and do it well but you must top feed every so often to clear them out.

I haven't done bottom feed but it will keep the saturation zone soaking while the top will remain dry depending on flood height.

This will give some insight on how watering and media mechanics work.

Lots of good info in that thread. Yea I forsure prefer top feeding in Coco. I find bottom feeding can be a greater cause for pythium. Although, my friend swears by it i always notice water sitting in the bottom of his drain trays :/...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Lots of good info in that thread. Yea I forsure prefer top feeding in Coco. I find bottom feeding can be a greater cause for pythium. Although, my friend swears by it i always notice water sitting in the bottom of his drain trays :/...
If it works for him great. It's absolutely doable just need to make some adjustments. I don't think it's wrong just not my cup of tea. I'm lazy and like to eliminate as many risks as possible.

I guess unless he tries a different method he probably won't see a difference.

Imo there is no benefit to bottom feeding over top feeding that I can think of and plants that sit in runoff of at much more risk.

There are a couple benefits to top feedinG but that doesn't mean both can't be done well.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Was gonna day bigger pipe and smaller holes.
already 1/2 pvc holes are 1/16th,i think my problem is the 30 ft of hose from pump to the wand,that wand is good for one thing though,when it is 105 outside and you pull it from one furrow to go to another,just like jumping in a pool just soaks you down

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

already 1/2 pvc holes are 1/16th,i think my problem is the 30 ft of hose from pump to the wand,that wand is good for one thing though,when it is 105 outside and you pull it from one furrow to go to another,just like jumping in a pool just soaks you down
Oh yeah garden hose can be like 3/8 ID I usually get the 3/4 ID but they cost a bit more. Better flow rates.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Oh yeah garden hose can be like 3/8 ID I usually get the 3/4 ID but they cost a bit more. Better flow rates.
im thinking the head pressure,as it goes down the hose it is reduced
330 gph from pump 270/10 ft 198/20ft 114/30ft 60/35ft of gallons per hour,so it falls off pretty quick with stretch of hose or piping
from what i understand if i go to 1/2 hp pump it will suck the hose in so it will need a reducer,im wondering if it would have any issues with a pvc pipe,which ever way i need something in between ,i know nothing about all this hahahah,i do have a 250 gal tank sitting idea that i could fill with nutrients ,but gravity feed would take all day to water a 3ft x12 ft raised bed,ive tried that and not gonna cut it haahah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom