HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cruzin

cruzin

I am going to run some warmer lights this winter. I ran leds last winter and had to suplement heat as I live in a northern state. I got a couple of 400w mh given to me. But I like what Ive read about the 315l spectrum.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
In my veg rack I switch to t-5s in the winter months. It puts out more heat so I don’t have to run additional heating. In the summer it’s all LEDs. My new flowering commercial LED fixture puts out a decent amount of heat so it should be fine going into this winter. It’s a quantum board setup with far red leds around the perimeter. It uses mixed spectrum leds (5000k & 3000k). So far the results have been as good or better than what I was getting under my 3000k hlg quantum boards v2. I have since repurposed the hlg quantum board in the veg rack for extended vegging. I’m running the 260w fixture at 125w in a 8sqft space. By vegging them longer before flower I have increased my yield substantially in my perpetual flowering setup.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

We can go back and forth all day. in my opinion a good led light is far superior to mh. But good =$$$$$. MH is better than a cheap led but you have to deal with heat and the extra electricity. You can now buy good mh hps lights cheap as everyone wants led. So in my view it's a trade off.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

We can go back and forth all day. in my opinion a good led light is far superior to mh. But good =$$$$$. MH is better than a cheap led but you have to deal with heat and the extra electricity. You can now buy good mh hps lights cheap as everyone wants led. So in my view it's a trade off.

Great deals out there on hid stuff. I got 2 dimmable solis tech digital 600/400 ballasts for only about $200 shipped from growers house. Thats less than half price.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I dont know... I'd argue MH/HPS is just as good as a good LED with regard to bud production, especially if you use them together. The only downside as far as I can tell is they use more power and give off more heat. But as far as how well they grow pot, used properly I think its comparable. I've got a buddy playing with an HLG550 and he grows great pot with a couple of the same strains as I have but I wouldnt say the quality or yield is any better.

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

Great deals out there on hid stuff. I got 2 dimmable solis tech digital 600/400 ballasts for only about $200 shipped from growers house. Thats less than half price.
That's a good price from what I've seen. If you see a deal like that again hook up your brother from another mother in the Southwest US. :)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That's a good price from what I've seen. If you see a deal like that again hook up your brother from another mother in the Southwest US. :)

Keep an eye on growers house dot com. They constantly have sales and closeouts. I posted when i got them. Not shopping for anything presently.

At one point they had the all in one sun system 315 lec for $300 shipped. I got a galaxy ballast, the remote reflector and a phillips cmh bulb for that much there. And i got my secret jarden 3x3 for 100 shipped on closeout.

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

Keep an eye on growers house dot com. They constantly have sales and closeouts. I posted when i got them. Not shopping for anything presently.

At one point they had the all in one sun system 315 lec for $300 shipped. I got a galaxy ballast, the remote reflector and a phillips cmh bulb for that much there. And i got my secret jarden 3x3 for 100 shipped on closeout.
I'll check it out. Thanks brother. If I had the setup I wanted I would have no need to look either.

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

View attachment 893847
I bought mine off Amazon for 370 canadian. It was brand new too. But now that same seller only sells them for 550-800 cad. Insane. Must of lucked out.

I highly suggest the vivosun 315 watt lec as well. Mine was only 230 cad and I bought a Phillip's 3100k for it.
I like it because it has a bigger footprint than the sun system but unfortunately where the balast sits inside the vivosun it gets really hot. That's why I have a fan on it. That's one plus the sun system had over it.
The fixture runs cooler.
View attachment 893848View attachment 893849
Thanks brothers in bud for all the help.😎

Clansman

Clansman

Led for sure in the warmer climates. The electricity cost is much lower the heat output is also much lower, which will in turn save you on climate control for your grow environment. Not to mention lower risk of burning or fires. I’ve been using led for years now and I love it. A little expensive. But I feel it’s worth it. Just make sure to get a quality light.

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

Led for sure in the warmer climates. The electricity cost is much lower the heat output is also much lower, which will in turn save you on climate control for your grow environment. Not to mention lower risk of burning or fires. I’ve been using led for years now and I love it. A little expensive. But I feel it’s worth it. Just make sure to get a quality light.
Which is your preferred led setup?

Clansman

Clansman

I’m using AdvancedLed XML 350 for a 4x4x6.5 tent. They are a bit expensive but they are a quality light. I don’t have personal experience on any of the other top brands but I have heard good things about some of them.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
buy quality grow lights and there is no hurry to upgrade. And careful of forum hype. For example the 315 cmh does not match a 600 hps like said on the weed forums. More like a 450 hps if there was such a thing.

For sure. There is a good use case like for example when I replaced 2 600w in veg with 3 315's. Pulls 1 less amp for more light. I don't think the factor of 315 single lamp for single lamp vs 600's or 1k's is good unless you are talking multi light setups. Honestly tho I don't think 315's are a good choice unless running multi lights in the first place unless you wanted a single 400w.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

For sure. There is a good use case like for example when I replaced 2 600w in veg with 3 315's. Pulls 1 less amp for more light. I don't think the factor of 315 single lamp for single lamp vs 600's or 1k's is good unless you are talking multi light setups. Honestly tho I don't think 315's are a good choice unless running multi lights in the first place unless you wanted a single 400w.

That is the same opinion i have now about them.

Its fantastic when paired with 1 or 2 hps too. In my grow the plants in the overlap were consistantly the best plants.

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

I’m using AdvancedLed XML 350 for a 4x4x6.5 tent. They are a bit expensive but they are a quality light. I don’t have personal experience on any of the other top brands but I have heard good things about some of them.

Its fantastic when paired with 1 or 2 hps too. In my grow the plants in the overlap were consistantly the best plants.
Trying a 3x3' grow tent. Just trying to start with two plants.

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

Sounds great but, if I'm trying to start with just two plants and actually want to go on to grow at most 4 at a time for personal use what lighting would be good to start and eventually continue with "bud"? 🤠

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

What do you reccomend for starting with two plants and maximum of eventually planning on growing no more than four at once?

Top Bottom