HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Each set photorecptors I would think has a max absorption rate. I would assume the wider the spectrum the more photosynthesis. Especially when intensity is high. Like green is missing from blurple. It penetrates better than any spectrum and you will gain photosynthesis deeper. But it's also used less efficient than other spectrums by the plants... red and blue being the most efficient spectrum used by the plants.

There is 2 types of efficiency.
1. Wattage to photons for that spectrum. Red being most efficient I believe???
2. Plants efficiency to use those photons in that spectrum.

That's why full spectrum is better imo.

Can do all red light but you are then only utilizing the receptors that absorb red light and when they max out your SOL for increasing intensity without adding spectrums used by the other receptors.

Photosynthesis is a general and overall term. A plant can take in more photons overall if it's using all of the receptors instead of the ones only responsible for red or blue or green.

Some rely on others receptors being used like red spectrum combined with infrared. Blue with UV

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Each set photorecptors I would think has a max absorption rate. I would assume the wider the spectrum the more photosynthesis. Especially when intensity is high. Like green is missing from blurple. It penetrates better than any spectrum and you will gain photosynthesis deeper. But it's also used less efficient than other spectrums by the plants... red and blue being the most efficient spectrum used by the plants.

There is 2 types of efficiency.
1. Wattage to photons for that spectrum. Red being most efficient I believe???
2. Plants efficiency to use those photons in that spectrum.

That's why full spectrum is better imo.

Can do all red light but you are then only utilizing the receptors that absorb red light and when they max out your SOL for increasing intensity without adding spectrums used by the other receptors.

Photosynthesis is a general and overall term. A plant can take in more photons overall if it's using all of the receptors instead of the ones only responsible for red or blue or green.

Some rely on others receptors being used like red spectrum combined with infrared. Blue with UV

for our purpose we need a red heavy spectrum for best flowering. Too much blue gives less yield, less flower sites and branching and leafier looser flowers.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

for our purpose we need a red heavy spectrum for best flowering. Too much blue gives less yield, less flower sites and branching and leafier looser flowers.
Yeah ratios of spectrum are important just like nutrients... thisbis where we are at now. Companies are trying to find the ratios best suited. But that also has slight changes even from genetics.

It's a really complicated topic as taking into account my pervious post and then the impact of spectrum on type of growth.

I will say hands down intensity does trump spectrum... until you start getting to the light saturation points of those spectrums then spectrum becomes greatly more important in order to see any improvement.

Where that starts and ends... still not known AFAIK.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah ratios of spectrum are important just like nutrients... thisbis where we are at now. Companies are trying to find the ratios best suited. But that also has slight changes even from genetics.

It's a really complicated topic as taking into account my pervious post and then the impact of spectrum on type of growth.

I will say hands down intensity does trump spectrum... until you start getting to the light saturation points of those spectrums then spectrum becomes greatly more important in order to see any improvement.

Where that starts and ends... still not known AFAIK.

Companies tend to sell what is available and cheap. That’s why the budget lamps like spider farmer and viparspectra have so much blue in their spectrum compared to say hlg flowering lamp which has more red diodes. Red diodes cost more than blue.

growsince79

growsince79

but we need 2:1 red:blue for best results. So a proper lamp should have more red and be more light per watt. But we are already paying over a grand for one light. Are we up to 2k if they really copy a de hps spectrum?
I've been using 100w hlgs for a while now. I have the rspec, the 3000k and the 4000k. I haven't done a controlled experiment to prove anything. The 4000k is the brightest at 17000 lumens. The 3000k is 16000 lumens and the rspec is a bit less. I'm 95% sure the 4000k will not make the same relative yield as either of the others.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've been using 100w hlgs for a while now. I have the rspec, the 3000k and the 4000k. I haven't done a controlled experiment to prove anything. The 4000k is the brightest at 17000 lumens. The 3000k is 16000 lumens and the rspec is a bit less. I'm 95% sure the 4000k will not make the same relative yield as either of the others.

they're recommending 3500k for full cycle and 2700k (like hps) for flowering. The companies I respect say 4K is for veg only. From what I have seen and heard that sounds about right. Of course there are plenty of other variables.

I only know that a metal halide of the same watts as hps flowers less buds and way leafier. The hortilux blue is a “sunlight” spectrum. But without the red spike even a 315 cmh 3100k can about match it.

growsince79

growsince79

they're recommending 3500k for full cycle and 2700k (like hps) for flowering. The companies I respect say 4K is for veg only. From what I have seen and heard that sounds about right. Of course there are plenty of other variables.

I only know that a metal halide of the same watts as hps flowers less buds and way leafier. The hortilux blue is a “sunlight” spectrum. But without the red spike even a 315 cmh 3100k can about match it.
Depending on strain the 4000k could be good for the first 2 weeks after flip. A strain that's already short might be too short.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ima gonna be honest... I feel 4k will give a better product and hurt you on the weight side... worth it? That I can't say... but definitely 2700-3100 will produce more weight imo.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Ima gonna be honest... I feel 4k will give a better product and hurt you on the weight side... worth it? That I can't say... but definitely 2700-3100 will produce more weight imo.

I dont think the quality difference would be perceptible. No one we tested could tell cmh vs hps weed blind smoked or even seeing the buds. I got it wrong most times too and I trimmed the stuff.

There may be small differences but at this point in our tech and info all of this is basically product hype.

Top Bottom