HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sounds great but, if I'm trying to start with just two plants and actually want to go on to grow at most 4 at a time for personal use what lighting would be good to start and eventually continue with "bud"? 🤠

Well the well known decent led lamps for a 3x3 cost $400-$600 and would have less wattage for the same results so run cooler but a properly vented air cooled 400 watt metal halide hps digital balast set up works great for half the money.

In between is the 315 cmh. That is what i like to flower in a 3x3 tent. I got a pound of og kush when i tried my new 315 in the tent.

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

Well the well known decent led lamps for a 3x3 cost $400-$600 and would have less wattage for the same results so run cooler but a properly vented air cooled 400 watt metal halide hps digital balast set up works great for half the money.

In between is the 315 cmh. That is what i like to flower in a 3x3 tent. I got a pound of og kush when i tried my new 315 in the tent.
If I

Bud, if I grew a a poud in 3×3 setup no need to get anything bigger. I'm Sure I'd have friends coming out of the woodwork. 😉😎😎😎😲

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
What do you reccomend for starting with two plants and maximum of eventually planning on growing no more than four at once?

I'm prob not the best person to ask about this cause I'm in the mindset of when you start out small you will always go big. Also have never used LED so I'm gonna say go strait for 1k's.

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

I'm prob not the best person to ask about this cause I'm in the mindset of when you start out small you will always go big. Also have never used LED so I'm gonna say go strait for 1k's.
Never have to big a gun only to small a pistol. Like the way you think

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm playing with the idea of adding some more lighting to my room without the extra heat.

Anyone got a link to decent comparable knockoffs of the HLG550? I'm not prepared to spend over $2000 to light up a 4x8 space so HLG is out.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

That's the exact light I bought off alibaba not even a month ago
That's canadian prices. Its 10% off right now on alibaba.
That's from a seller off Alibaba called KINGBRITE

Jerry kingbrite is one if most well respected and reliable chinese sellers on ali baba. Vivi Liu is who I dealt with she works for kingbrite. I can tell her I'm sending her a customer. If you say your buying two she should be able to give you a deal like she did for me.

-Like I said earlier these are the newest lm301h samsung diodes( these just came out two months ago) theirMore efficient than the lm301b.
-their medium bin 10% max less efficient than HLG top bin
-include uv and ir diodes
-epistar far red as well

-everythings prassembles. You literally just plug in the driver to the board and your done.

-this seller off alibaba has trade assurance.
If your not completely satisfied with your order you get your full refund back for the light

-multiple people off of rollitup use Jerry kingbrite and his boards.

I wouldn't go with rita fang from meiju lighting. That's the other second best chinese seller off ali baba. But they have had reports of not honoring a warranty. I'd stay clear of her

View attachment 894358View attachment 894359

Just what I was looking for, Thanks. Not going to buy right now but possibly in a couple months. When I do I'll shoot you a PM.

ParisOG

ParisOG

I bought 3 of the V2 clones from Shenzen Yuanhui LED Limited on Alibaba, they're the samsung boards with lm301b diodes, the only differences are that the meanwell driver is a different model number with the dimmer on a cord, and the far red diodes are epistar instead of Cree, but I've run epistar on a few things, and had really good results, Mars Hydro uses them too, so I went for it, but 3 for $925, and they fit perfectly in my 4x8, I get an even Lux rating all the way across 32k at 24", you could get away with 2, but you will have a bit of a dark spot in the middle. I had 2 1000w MH in there, and they were doing well of course, the old standby, however I got increased growth from these, I put them in a week ago today, and my babies jumped up into the scrog and I'm already fastening the branches, I'm a believer, we'll see what happens in flower, but I highly doubt I'll have issue.

koba

koba

I run on 2x 600w hps, and I can not say that I m happy whit result.
-First of all i did have heat problem, a big one in 8x4 tent. Now they are running on cool tube, but again no go.
- If y will add co2, then condider also that after releasing your temp. go up easy from lets say 26 degrees to 32... second no go.
- third one is electricity bill...

Now I really consider led option.

ParisOG

ParisOG

I run on 2x 600w hps, and I can not say that I m happy whit result.
-First of all i did have heat problem, a big one in 8x4 tent. Now they are running on cool tube, but again no go.
- If y will add co2, then condider also that after releasing your temp. go up easy from lets say 26 degrees to 32... second no go.
- third one is electricity bill...

Now I really consider led option.
I've done both, and HPS hurts, I'm running 3500 from the wall in LED on 140, and I'm only seeing about $150 increase now that the electricity here dropped from the inflated summer costs, I run QB's, Cob's, Blurple's, and I have one 436 watt T5 setup, when I was running the MH before I got my QB's my daily electricity was up in the $30 US range, now I'm running at $16-17 daily

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

I've done both, and HPS hurts, I'm running 3500 from the wall in LED on 140, and I'm only seeing about $150 increase now that the electricity here dropped from the inflated summer costs, I run QB's, Cob's, Blurple's, and I have one 436 watt T5 setup, when I was running the MH before I got my QB's my daily electricity was up in the $30 US range, now I'm running at $16-17 daily
So far it seems that T5's & QB's are the least expensive to run but, I realize to replace a HID 600'w takes a decent investment upfront I just got QB TS2000 which is only equivalent to about HID 500w, at least from the research I've done so far.

ParisOG

ParisOG

So far it seems that T5's & QB's are the least expensive to run but, I realize to replace a HID 600'w takes a decent investment upfront I just got QB TS2000 which is only equivalent to about HID 500w, at least from the research I've done so far.
Yes and no, if you look at the alibaba versions of the hlg models they're putting off 480w at the wall, so they aren't that far behind the HPS, and can potentially do more, at a lower wattage, I pulled my MH a week ago and put them in, and I'm pleased, I've seen a jump, and my node spacing tightened up quite a bit, you also have to think about light efficiency and what that'll do for you, LED gives you a fuller spectrum, and the QB's with warm white are killin it, photons from LED move a great deal faster than HPS, so your plant will burn off a shitload more calcium and magnesium to keep up, but if you can keep up with it, the potential is there, look at guys like Mr Canucks grow pulling 1/2 pound out of a closet under an es180

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes and no, if you look at the alibaba versions of the hlg models they're putting off 480w at the wall, so they aren't that far behind the HPS, and can potentially do more, at a lower wattage, I pulled my MH a week ago and put them in, and I'm pleased, I've seen a jump, and my node spacing tightened up quite a bit, you also have to think about light efficiency and what that'll do for you, LED gives you a fuller spectrum, and the QB's with warm white are killin it, photons from LED move a great deal faster than HPS, so your plant will burn off a shitload more calcium and magnesium to keep up, but if you can keep up with it, the potential is there, look at guys like Mr Canucks grow pulling 1/2 pound out of a closet under an es180

Light does not travel faster from an led. The speed of light is constant unless through a medium. Then the different wavelengths can change speed. A rainbow is caused this way as the photons hit the water droplets.

But an old flashlight and a new diode both cast light at the same speed.

The fuller spectrum can change the nutrient needs in the plant.

ParisOG

ParisOG

Light does not travel faster from an led. The speed of light is constant unless through a medium. Then the different wavelengths can change speed. A rainbow is caused this way as the photons hit the water droplets.

Pardon, not so much speed as the amount of energy and frequency of photons, Photon speed does change when it collides with a charged particle, plant matter contains ions that are charged, so the absorption rate of light is affected

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That's why I feel the green and more full spectrum makes for higher cal demand on plants under led. It may not be as efficient as the red and blue spectrums but over the whole plant that extra photosynthesis adds up increasing nutrient needs.

Of course this is just speculation.

ParisOG

ParisOG

That's why I feel the green makes for higher cal demand on plants under led. It may not be as efficient as the red and blue spectrums but over the whole plant that extra photosynthesis adds up increasing nutrient needs.

Of course this is just speculation.
[/QUO

Remember when every wanted to put green lights in so they wouldn't affect their grow?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Haha right. From my understanding to much can stunt growth though so I'm not suggesting going out to supplement green lighting.

Top Bottom