HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I dont think the quality difference would be perceptible. No one we tested could tell cmh vs hps weed blind smoked or even seeing the buds. I got it wrong most times too and I trimmed the stuff.

There may be small differences but at this point in our tech and info all of this is basically product hype.
I can agree to that... I meant denser and including the full Blue spectrum with UV... at what ratios no clue yet.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I've done the experiments, how many else here have done them ? People go on about HPS's with the majority of the spectral power being in yellow light wavelengths and MH mainly in the blue spectrum dominate, they both grow plants just fine and as I said spectrum is more for plant morphology,
Indoor, outdoor,HPS,MH and LED grown buds all get me high as fuck the same.
DSCN0934
DSCN0866

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've done the experiments, how many else here have done them ? People go on about HPS's with the majority of the spectral power being in yellow light wavelengths and MH mainly in the blue spectrum dominate, they both grow plants just fine and as I said spectrum is more for plant morphology,
Indoor, outdoor,HPS,MH and LED grown buds all get me high as fuck the same.
View attachment 1117860View attachment 1117859

sure but more or less yield and different bud structure and calyx to leaf ratio from different spectrums. I agree any light source will grow potent weed if it’s intense enough.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

All my old pics of plants under different lights are in various threads at another weed site. I recorded a 30% loss in yield comparing known cuts under a hortilux 600w blue MH vs a hortilux 600w super hps for example. And the hps buds were tighter and bigger and had less leaf. And the plants under the mh grew more leaves in general.
39,000 lumens for the blue MH vs 85,000 lumens for the Hortilux Super HPS, so twice the light from an HPS to MH, do you think that might have been a factor ?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

39,000 lumens for the blue MH vs 85,000 lumens for the Hortilux Super HPS, so twice the light from an HPS to MH, do you think that might have been a factor ?

Of course. That’s the main factor. Then there is extra radiant heat and more blue light affecting things with the metal halide.

Don’t you find it interesting that with less than half the lumens it consistently only did 30% less? Maybe the spectrum accounts for the other 20-25%?

I have been clearly defending your standpoint with nasa and university testing backing up intensity over spectrum. But that’s not the whole picture.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Of course. That’s the main factor. Then there is extra radiant heat and more blue light affecting things with the metal halide.

Don’t you find it interesting that with less than half the lumens it consistently only did 30% less? Maybe the spectrum accounts for the other 20-25%?

I have been clearly defending your standpoint with nasa and university testing backing up intensity over spectrum. But that’s not the whole picture.
I wasn't trying to start an argument at all, just that there is a lot of variables to consider when comparing lighting.
30% less when your running the same wattage is most certainly a metric that needs comparing.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I wasn't trying to start an argument at all, just that there is a lot of variables to consider when comparing lighting.
30% less when your running the same wattage is most certainly a metric that needs comparing.

Didn’t seem like an argument. We are having a conversation.

login

login

I'm currently vegging and flowering using 1000 watt cmh lights dimmed to 860 watts. The problem I'm having is way to much leaf. it's a pain in the ass to have to keep constantly defoliating large plants.

Now I'm trying to decide go back to HPS or try LED.

JayFromStateFarm

JayFromStateFarm

Hi All
First time on forum. Or any forum😕
Anyway I took 6 cutting from my mother plant last night and put into a bubble Cloner I made from stuff laying around.
Question is I've they survive and grow a fair amount under the 9x 18w leds I've got what light would I flower them under in 2x1 meter space in 20l buckets thinking of 1 x 600w HPS but unsure If led tech has surpassed HPS ? I have to spend money so might as well buy best option for them obviously for the largest yield
Any help appreciated
So I got the Gavita ct 1930 they say it’s a 1:1 replacement for the HPS with a 4x6 footprint haven’t started anything yet but will shortly.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I'm currently vegging and flowering using 1000 watt cmh lights dimmed to 860 watts. The problem I'm having is way to much leaf. it's a pain in the ass to have to keep constantly defoliating large plants.

Now I'm trying to decide go back to HPS or try LED.
Currently have a tent on led full spectrum for full grow, short and stocky, very easy to controll, just sucks defoliating. Building a 4x4 now with mh and hps 1000w. Im thinking they are going to be way bigger at the start. Im going to do 4 plants, but I imagine with my hydro its going to be too much for the tent. Yet, I need to try it, get it under my belt.

My end game is Led Full spectrum for veg and Ceramic HPS for flower . .due to budget restrictions. With a 30 day veg its easy for them all to fit under the led. . . least this is my hope.

Im actually stuck trying to figure out if I should do 1 plant in the 4x4 with 45 veg no defoliation or stress, only topping. Or do 4 plants in the 4x4 with heavy stress and light toppings with a 25 day veg. The Hydro allows them to get pretty big by week 4, add another 2 months for flower and yea plenty big enough to flower early.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Its a tradeoff, heat and higher electric bills vs price as now most mh/hps rigs are dirt cheap.

Delta9420

Delta9420

Both iPhone and Samsung are great phones. I just like my. I. Phone and iPad but I like led and it seems like hps does a good job too,.my led are dimmable with several settings and I paid 75.00 free shipping for a 300 watt. So I don’t think that is expensive. Seem to be working good so far, but u put all lights and and fans in tent and it gets hot , in the summer time...so
Happy growing 😉✨can you send me a description or a link to the type of light you've mentioned?

growsince79

growsince79

Currently have a tent on led full spectrum for full grow, short and stocky, very easy to controll, just sucks defoliating. Building a 4x4 now with mh and hps 1000w. Im thinking they are going to be way bigger at the start. Im going to do 4 plants, but I imagine with my hydro its going to be too much for the tent. Yet, I need to try it, get it under my belt.

My end game is Led Full spectrum for veg and Ceramic HPS for flower . .due to budget restrictions. With a 30 day veg its easy for them all to fit under the led. . . least this is my hope.

Im actually stuck trying to figure out if I should do 1 plant in the 4x4 with 45 veg no defoliation or stress, only topping. Or do 4 plants in the 4x4 with heavy stress and light toppings with a 25 day veg. The Hydro allows them to get pretty big by week 4, add another 2 months for flower and yea plenty big enough to flower early.
If the space is full, yield will be about the same. 4 plants you get the same amount sooner. Big increase in g/kwh.

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

Hi All
First time on forum. Or any forum😕
Anyway I took 6 cutting from my mother plant last night and put into a bubble Cloner I made from stuff laying around.
Question is I've they survive and grow a fair amount under the 9x 18w leds I've got what light would I flower them under in 2x1 meter space in 20l buckets thinking of 1 x 600w HPS but unsure If led tech has surpassed HPS ? I have to spend money so might as well buy best option for them obviously for the largest yield
Any help appreciated
I agree with HPS for 20 years, i've been using the new white spec leds for a little over a year now, I think they're way better., Yields are about the same, but I get better terps and trich production, My humidity doesn't spike as much, and my air conditioners run less.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I agree with HPS for 20 years, i've been using the new white spec leds for a little over a year now, I think they're way better., Yields are about the same, but I get better terps and trich production, My humidity doesn't spike as much, and my air conditioners run less.
These were the same benefits I seen when I switched to hlg quantum boards 3 yrs ago. You left out one benefit, not replacing the hps bulbs every 6 months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom