HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bighempn

bighempn

Hi All
First time on forum. Or any forum😕
Anyway I took 6 cutting from my mother plant last night and put into a bubble Cloner I made from stuff laying around.
Question is I've they survive and grow a fair amount under the 9x 18w leds I've got what light would I flower them under in 2x1 meter space in 20l buckets thinking of 1 x 600w HPS but unsure If led tech has surpassed HPS ? I have to spend money so might as well buy best option for them obviously for the largest yield
Any help appreciated
I run both leds and hps double ended lights in different rooms. In my experience, both work great but both have their draw backs.

hps lights smash on the nugs in flower pretty well and also give good canopy penetration as well as better coverage but also add a lot of heat to the grow space so if you have a good AC unit to combat this then it shouldn’t be a problem. The other possible draw back (and typically because of ceiling height) is the minimum Height they must be above the canopy or you will Scorch plants. Ideal canopy height for HPS lights is about 4-5 ft above. 3ft is ok, 2 is really pushing it, 1 ft and you’re burning plants.

now as for LEDs, the tech is there forsure, it causes way less heat in the grow space, doesn’t need as much canopy height( about 12”-24” ), and most LEDs produce a fuller spectrum that HPS lights. They also tend to cost more too though but they also use less power on average, about 30% +\-

bighempn

bighempn

Also I forgot to add I happen to know a lot of growers and I’ve seen consistently, people I know hitting over 3 lbs per light with good LEDs like the gavita 1700’s. I recently bought some LEDs from phlizon LEDs on alibaba for about $460 ea. They kick major ass so far from the initial test I did with them but I haven’t officially did a full run with them yet. They are basically gavita 1700s with the same Samsung 301b and osram LEDs and drivers just not the price tag of $1300 a piece. One thing you wanna look for in a LED light is that they have the Samsung 301b diodes and the osram diodes for the 660nm range for your red light spectrum for late flower. I’ve even bought some cheap Chinese 200$ LEDs on Amazon for vegging mother plants and they work great and they feel and look very robust with an aluminum housing. So all in all, I’d say LEDs are the future of growing without a doubt.

Catheriena

Catheriena

I would go hps till you buy a solar tube . For that space heat is gonna be a huge issue. You can buy a hps 150 watt and it would work however if you own the dwelling you live in a solar tube is the way to go. Keyhole saw and the 300 buck tube and some calk and never pay for lightening again except ur clone and veg rooms. Are u using co2? That makes it so u can have higher Temps but you're still gonna have a humidity issue if your fans are cycling too quickly.

H

HBZfarms

I've ran HPS for lots of years..good results..great actually.. Thought I've never changed and even advised against LEDs to younger growers..I had a 600 watt ballast go down and before replacing I did my normal research on things..long story short..I ended up with a spider farmer LED.. Ran one grow and was blown away with the extra frost it produced.. No extra yeild really..well moving on I added 4 far red lights in each corner of the tent that run the last 3 hours of the 12/12 cycle...also added a UV A light that comes on 30 min on 30 minutes off for 4 hours of the light half of the 12/12...The results of this setup have made me realise what I've been missing...Yield has increased 25 percent.. The density and the insane amount of trichs is beyond a noticeable.. Not looking back..been giving away hps lights to ppl in need

growsince79

growsince79

I've ran HPS for lots of years..good results..great actually.. Thought I've never changed and even advised against LEDs to younger growers..I had a 600 watt ballast go down and before replacing I did my normal research on things..long story short..I ended up with a spider farmer LED.. Ran one grow and was blown away with the extra frost it produced.. No extra yeild really..well moving on I added 4 far red lights in each corner of the tent that run the last 3 hours of the 12/12 cycle...also added a UV A light that comes on 30 min on 30 minutes off for 4 hours of the light half of the 12/12...The results of this setup have made me realise what I've been missing...Yield has increased 25 percent.. The density and the insane amount of trichs is beyond a noticeable.. Not looking back..been giving away hps lights to ppl in need
I run hlg rspec and hps. My buds seem to finish faster and have slightly more trichs under hps. Maybe hlgs just suck and I need a spider farmer.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I agree.....now will they last forever as the old mechanical hps ballasts do. The $500 led lights from Spiderfarmer and others work and perform great even better than hps but will they last 10 - 20 years like the old reliable? 5 year? Its yet to be seen that they'll have longevity....I've had minor issues already with the 2 led lights I've had . quickly repaired but still it shows how fast things can go wrong with this new tech.........

I live in the cold north and I can use the heat off the hps 9 months of the year ...I had to buy a 1500w heater just for my flower room ....running 18hrs a day its more expensive than running the hps.......but I like the led results so I'm splurging

H

HBZfarms

I run hlg rspec and hps. My buds seem to finish faster and have slightly more trichs under hps. Maybe hlgs just suck and I need a spider farmer.
Hlg and spider farmer are top of the line. Very comparable as far as quality and results.. What size HP's I've always used 400 w in 4x4 tents and 600w in 5x5....The spiderfarmer I use is the SE5000....the driver can be mounted outside the tent..honesty I think the the fact my tent is running way cooler with better light coverage is the factors that add the extra trichs and density..I have all that light covering the whole tent instead of the light coming from a single bulb....more yield with higher quality bud...I'll never loom back

H

HBZfarms

I agree.....now will they last forever as the old mechanical hps ballasts do. The $500 led lights from Spiderfarmer and others work and perform great even better than hps but will they last 10 - 20 years like the old reliable? 5 year? Its yet to be seen that they'll have longevity....I've had minor issues already with the 2 led lights I've had . quickly repaired but still it shows how fast things can go wrong with this new tech.........

I live in the cold north and I can use the heat off the hps 9 months of the year ...I had to buy a 1500w heater just for my flower room ....running 18hrs a day its more expensive than running the hps.......but I like the led results so I'm splurging
I agree 100%..and I'm still in that learning stage of LED longevity and life... I have a few ballast that I've had 20 years plus. The others 10 years plus.. That can't be denied them big ole hot heavy ballasts are battle tanks..I only have the one LED so far and currently off setting the light cycles from HP's to heat the room...But I'm positive all the HP's will be replaced eventually and I'll be keeping a few around in case the LEDs go down at any point

H

HBZfarms

I agree 100%..and I'm still in that learning stage of LED longevity and life... I have a few ballast that I've had 20 years plus. The others 10 years plus.. That can't be denied them big ole hot heavy ballasts are battle tanks..I only have the one LED so far and currently off setting the light cycles from HP's to heat the room...But I'm positive all the HP's will be replaced eventually and I'll be keeping a few around in case the LEDs go down at any point
I feel your pain living in the north.. Pretty cool tho when your lights double as a home heat source

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Hlg and spider farmer are top of the line. Very comparable as far as quality and results.. What size HP's I've always used 400 w in 4x4 tents and 600w in 5x5....The spiderfarmer I use is the SE5000....the driver can be mounted outside the tent..honesty I think the the fact my tent is running way cooler with better light coverage is the factors that add the extra trichs and density..I have all that light covering the whole tent instead of the light coming from a single bulb....more yield with higher quality bud...I'll never loom back
Spider Farmer top of the line? I hardly think so. Decent mid-range lights but not top of the line.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Spider Farmer top of the line? I hardly think so. Decent mid-range lights but not top of the line.
Spider Farmer are great for the home hobbyist who are trying to get started. The lights are good at a price that will save you money over the higher end professional grow level lights. I have a Spider Farmer SF5000. I love it, but I wouldn't say it's a better light than my E720. Both grow a great plant. Spider Farmer is an ideal option in the mid-range in prices. It's a solid choice for the home hobbyist.

growsince79

growsince79

2 or 3 lights in a 2 x 4. 150w hps and 100w hlg mix as needed for temp control. The buds grown under LEDs alone are more leafy and less terps than under hps. The best buds get a mix.

growsince79

growsince79

400w hps is way too small for 4 x 4 imo. I use 450w in half that space.

H

HBZfarms

So what is top of the line....hlg? I'm new to LED but not new to insanity lvl research and reading..what I've gathered is HLG is the best..spider farmer running in close second...have you ran both...if so which models... Ide love to hear your review and difference in the two or if you know better all together for the price..paid roughly 600 for the SE5000 and loving it....educate me further I'm all ears...I run in space no bigger than 5x5....but 4x4 and 3x3....for the price of the SE5000 ide surely love to know of a better light...I would order it today

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

Any more than 400 and I have heat issues in the summer. I've ran 6s in a 4x4 and its trouble for me
I have to run all led in the summer. In the winter I need at least 1 and sometimes 2 hps lights. So far the winter buds have been better.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

So what is top of the line....hlg? I'm new to LED but not new to insanity lvl research and reading..what I've gathered is HLG is the best..spider farmer running in close second...have you ran both...if so which models... Ide love to hear your review and difference in the two or if you know better all together for the price..paid roughly 600 for the SE5000 and loving it....educate me further I'm all ears...I run in space no bigger than 5x5....but 4x4 and 3x3....for the price of the SE5000 ide surely love to know of a better light...I would order it today
HLG are the real deal.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

HLG are the real deal.
If an HLG Scorpion Diablo fits in both your price range and grow area, you won't be disappointed. It's only negative is it's price tag. Over-priced? Not really ... it's similarly priced to other top of the line LED grow light fixtures. Another brand to consider is Lumatek-EU/Photontek-USA. Lumatek/Photontek is the same line, different brand name based on EU/USA.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The Grower’s Choice ROI lights are quality too. But again not cheap.
I have the E720. I love the light, but it was $1000 USD when I bought it. It completely lights a 5 x 5 for flower, corner to corner - edge to edge. Great light! Don't buy the additional controller unless you plan on running multiples. It will boost the output from 720w to 780w ... but 720w works very well in a 5 x 5 tent.

Top Bottom