• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Humboldt County afraid of being uprooted from pot perch

As legalization of marijuana grows as a possibility, the Northern California enclave where weed culture thrives ponders its future. Would its pot economy wither or does greater opportunity await?

By Sam Quinones
April 7, 2010 | 5:54 p.m.

Reporting from Garberville, Calif.

In this region renowned for potent marijuana buds, many in Humboldt County long accepted that legalizing the weed was the right thing to do.

Now some folks aren't so sure.

A statewide initiative in November would allow cities to regulate pot possession and cultivation. Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco) has proposed a broader legalization. Neither is certain to pass.

Yet as medical marijuana has spread and city and state budgets are being slashed, legalized marijuana is becoming more possible than ever. That has some people here thinking twice.

Wholesale prices have dropped in the last five years -- from $4,000 a pound to below $3,000 for the best cannabis -- as medical-marijuana dispensaries have attracted a slew of new growers statewide, Humboldt growers say.

Recently, "Keep Pot Illegal" bumper stickers have been seen on cars around the county. In chat rooms and on blogs, anonymous writers predict that tobacco companies will crush small farmers and take marijuana production to the Central Valley.

With legalization, if residents don't act, "we're going to be ruined," said Anna Hamilton, a radio host on KMUD-FM (91.1) in southern Humboldt County.

In March, Hamilton organized a community meeting in Garberville addressing the question "What's After Pot?" It attracted more than 150 people, including a county supervisor, economic development consultants and business owners.

All this was unimaginable to the hippies and student radicals who came here in the 1960s and '70s, escaping a conventional world they abhorred. As marijuana's price steadily rose, it funded their escape. In time, mom-and-pop growers became experts.

The plant thrived in the tolerant climate -- cultural and geographic -- of far Northern California. Small plots got bigger. An Emerald Triangle of premium marijuana growers formed in Humboldt, Trinity and Mendocino counties until, virtually alone, they supported the economies.

Following Hamilton's lead, a meeting will be held in Ukiah, Mendocino's county seat, on April 24 to discuss "The Future of Cannabis in Northern California." Speakers include the director of the Ukiah Chamber of Commerce.

For years the plant was only a small part of the Humboldt economy, as logging and fishing provided most of the jobs.

Today, harvestable redwoods are mostly gone; so, too, the sawmills. Salmon beds are covered with silt. Marijuana stands as a major source of income, even for many whose grandparents worked the sawmills and 40 years ago railed at the pot-smoking hippies moving into their midst.

Humboldt State economists guess that marijuana accounts for between $500 million and $700 million of the county's $3.6 billion economy.

Though growing is widespread, particularly in southern Humboldt County, it remains illegal for those not connected to a medical marijuana collective. Every year growers are arrested and sent to prison. Some live in paranoid isolation, telling their children not to discuss their parents' work. Meanwhile, they've gotten used to selling a weed for thousands of dollars a pound.

Legalization could take many forms. But the conventional wisdom here is that fully legal weed might fetch no more than a few hundred dollars a pound, as more people grow it and police no longer pull up millions of plants a year.

Illegal marijuana "is the government's best agricultural price-support program ever," said Gerald Myers, a retired engineer and former volunteer fire chief who moved to the county in 1970. "If they ever want to help the wheat farmers, make wheat illegal."

On the other hand, increased demand for legal pot might buoy its price.

"If it's regulated like cigarettes, you're going to have a massive increase in demand for it, I would believe," said Erick Eschker, economics professor at Humboldt State. Either way, though, talk of legalization raises a question: Is Humboldt's competitive advantage in growing pot, or in growing pot illegally?

Plantations divert water from streams and rivers. Some growers use huge diesel generators to power greenhouses on mountainsides -- growing indoors in the outdoors. Occasional spills from these generators have devastated streams. Indoor growers, meanwhile, devour electricity. Officials estimate that 800 to 2,000 houses in Arcata are devoted partly or entirely to growing marijuana. Humboldt County is also known for its lax prosecution compared with other counties.

"That advantage, if you will, is going to be gone if it's legal," Eschker said.

Any well-designed legalization ought to ensure that "other people in the community won't have to pick up the tab for an industry cutting corners," said county Supervisor Mark Lovelace. "People would have to learn to turn this into a legit above-board business."

How many could do that is unclear.

At stake, many locals say, is more than a business; it's a way of life. The cannabis economy has spawned numerous nonprofits and community health and arts groups, which depend on growers for sustenance.

"It's morally right that marijuana be legal," said Kym Kemp, a journalist who blogs about life in southern Humboldt County. "But I know why they want to say, 'No, don't let this happen to us,' because we're going to die. It already happened with the logging industry."

But others say legalization would create a more solid, independent economy in the long run for the county, which has a population of 129,000. Instead of depending on one crop, "the community would learn all over again about economic self-sufficiency" that the original hippies moved here to achieve, Myers said.

More houses and agricultural land might again find legal uses, the theory goes, thus making property more affordable. The county might actually be invigorated, said Clif Clendenen, a Humboldt County supervisor and owner of an apple cider business in Fortuna.

"It saps some community energy when you have your best and brightest out in the hills growing and not contributing in the same way they would if they went off to college and came back to teach," he said. "Whenever you have 20-year-olds making six-figure incomes, it's an economic house of cards."

Once legal, marijuana cultivation might well lose its outlaw glamour, to be replaced by the daily grind and smaller profits that farmers all face. Growers would have to keep books, pay taxes and abide by pesticide regulations.

Grocery stores, car dealers, construction-supply outlets and other retailers would have to adjust. So, too, would thousands of residents, many with full-time jobs, who make ends meet by trimming marijuana at harvest season for $25 an hour.

With so few voters, Humboldt is unlikely to influence what happens statewide. "We're better off trying to figure out what the pathway would be to a robust industry cluster with [marijuana] as its product," said Kathy Moxon of the Humboldt Area Foundation, a community nonprofit.

Radio host Hamilton has suggested new school curricula, urging that a community college satellite campus planned for Garberville offer more classes in accounting and business administration. Others have proposed classes in marijuana testing.

Moxon sees an opportunity to take business away from Oakland-based Oaksterdam University, which offers classes in marijuana growing, the science of cannabis, new methods of ingestion, even the weed's history.

"We're the place where people should come to learn to grow," Moxon said. "Who wants to go to Oakland to learn to grow?"

Then there is the Napa Valley model, where vintners thrive by focusing on premium wines, branding and wine tourism. Appellation -- the branding of the Humboldt name like Champagne or Bordeaux -- is a route people here find promising.

But achieving a Napa Valley of marijuana might require the kind of collective action that Humboldt weed growers have found anathema. Remarkably, Hamilton's "What's After Pot?" meeting was the first time the topic was discussed so openly and thus stunned many locals. And no one seems to have investigated how a Humboldt appellation might be acquired.

Still, the idea resonates.

Said Hamilton: "It's appellation or Appalachia."

[email protected]

F

Frank_Castle

It is fear of the unknown. There is a very real chance that legalization will allow the residents of NorCal to grow even more and openly. If legalization should ever allow the MJ crop to go mainstream (doubtful) then their expertise should be marketed within giant coop's or through marketing their strains they can be sold as a connoisseur strain and sold for higher prices. With proper business strategy the emerald triangle can be the new Napa valley of weed.

S

SkyHi

What I don't understand is why we don't hold out and vote for something more convenient, a broader legalization as ammiano put it...

LeroyBrown

LeroyBrown

You guys have to make sure people know that this puts weed in the hands of big business

true grit

true grit

Yeah, this is interesting, but a step thats gotta happen. I'm sorry this hurts the Humboldt economy, but legalization sets precedent for the other 36 states that dont even have MEDICAL!!! People not wanting it legal for money, when 100's of thousands get arrested a year cuz they don't even have mmj in their state?

I know plenty of emerald triangle growers, the good ones are amazing, and IMO will not have a problem adapting and overcoming. And if it opens up, I'm sure those folks can tear it up even bigger for a year or two legally while the tobacco companies try to figure out how to even grow this stuff well- there is going to be a curve no matter who they hire...which ironically may end up being triangle growers/sub par growers with no work.

I'd say to all the homies out there- kill it this year and next and head to the next med state and kill it there. They want legit pot business, well they will learn how we can franchise to the next med state til it gets legal, until WE are the ones that can afford setting up huge shop to compete with tobacco.

S

SkyHi

Or just vote no and wait for a better initiative like ammianos

true grit

true grit

Yeah you can wait, but it will still happen. It's only a matter of time. You guys that are on here and out there are on the ball.... I'm sure other not so aware or passionate growers may not fare so well. But lets be realistic, a majority of population who smokes pot could care less about the money made and will just vote yes.

IMO i don't see why the demand wouldn't go up- tremendously. People who have never considered it before, now will. That leaves a HUGE chunk of the community who might actually consider it now. Cali tourism will rise like crazy... I'd love to do pot-eco tourism. A whole new realm of legal industries, because thats where this business is going....

And just to clarify my stance SkyHi- I too DO NOT SUPPORT Richard Lee's bs bill. Thats horseshit. I agree it sucks and shouldn't pass, but its one of those things- ignorance out numbers the intelligent.

S

SkyHi

I feel you grit i feel you, ppl just see legal pot and are going to vote yes....hopefully big business doesnt take over and commercialize it tooo much...mom and pops coffee shops and stores would be nice ...getting california out of this deficit would be nice as well but we have all seen why were in this situation the politicians will just continue to use our money for vacations and limos ...

Illmind

Illmind

I say horde away now. Don't let none of the good shit get out and charge an arm and a leg for it. I am against this though I know a few cats from HBC and they're very good people and it's people like them who have borned this culture who are gonna be tossed to the side by big business. I don't think the people who have been ahead of the curve for many years should suffer because the gov now sees $$$$ that they want a piece of. As if they don't have enough already. Fucking greedy pricks.. I hope for the sake of CA that this does not pass. Oh well looks like opium poppy fields it is then lol.. Na but it's gonna go bad if they do this, expect production of meth to go up that's for sure.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
They were already uprooted by Pennsylvania hillbillies. They just don't know it yet. Same lattitude, better soil and all the good strains. We have been kicking humboldt ass for quite a spell now.

LOL!!

I want it to stay illegal in a way too. And yet I don't. They already took our stills.

D

Dubwobble

Expect production of meth to go up?
That quote is just plain ignorant.

I've seen legalization coming for 20 years now. I started smoking when I was 12, and I am 41 now. I've been busted so many times for little shit like smoking a joint in front of a club, having a ROACH in my car, I even got busted once for having a pipe on me - which they tested positive for THC resin. I'm sick of it. It's good now in Cali. but it can be better. If you don't have a card you are still f*cked.

Richard Lee's bill most likely will not pass. But it is the first of many, many attempts to turn the scales (pun intended!) of legalization. Richard Lee's isn't true legalization. Nothing short of complete legalization with no limits is the only way that makes sense. I can buy a case of 1/2 gallon Absolute Vodkas...., I can have a whole storehouse of it in my kitchen and no one can say sh*t. The same should apply to marijuana.

And honestly, the humbolt / mendo / commercial growers argument I've heard forever.

I really like the point that truegrit makes... the rest of the country doesn't have it legal and hundreds of thousands of people get arrested still.

If the commercial growers want to be truly commercial they should be able to get everything "up to code" and dial in all the legal expenses to make themselves a legit business.

true grit

true grit

I say horde away now. Don't let none of the good shit get out and charge an arm and a leg for it. I am against this though I know a few cats from HBC and they're very good people and it's people like them who have borned this culture who are gonna be tossed to the side by big business. I don't think the people who have been ahead of the curve for many years should suffer because the gov now sees $$$$ that they want a piece of. As if they don't have enough already. Fucking greedy pricks.. I hope for the sake of CA that this does not pass. Oh well looks like opium poppy fields it is then lol.. Na but it's gonna go bad if they do this, expect production of meth to go up that's for sure.

SkyHi- totally bro. I feel ya.....

Ill- Word, its all about greed, and sadly if those that were ahead of the curve wanna stay ahead of the greed, then they too will adapt.

But you nailed it on the head- HORDE!!! Got homies out there hookin shit up just to keep it alive come legal bud so tight circles will have the dank, and that black market will no longer be illegal and the heads shall prevail!! lol. At least I hope so... I keep tellin my homies, find your keepers, lets make f2/s1's, and start stashing...Cali is only the first step then it will hit us other med states.... As long as heads don't sell out genetics to cash croppers and big alcohol/pharma, then out of quality alone we should be able to hold some market share.

And on the meth thing... Im leaning more in hopes of more psychedelics! lol. Grow weed to fund Brotherhood of Eternal Love type shit....lol

true grit

true grit

If the commercial growers want to be truly commercial they should be able to get everything "up to code" and dial in all the legal expenses to make themselves a legit business.

Word. Thats what is happening out here in CO. The most recent being forcing anyone who vends edibles to dispensaries has to have a license, up to health code inspected kitchen, etc... and guess what- Plenty of chefs stepped up and did everything they needed to and now vend legally in Denver. Growers will just have to do the same thing. They are already talking about allowing/regulating commercial/ag grow space here. Just a matter of stepping up to the legal plate.

D

Dubwobble

As long as heads don't sell out genetics to cash croppers and big alcohol/pharma, then out of quality alone we should be able to hold some market share.

.... uhhhh, I guess you've never bought seeds huh?
A friend of mine just bought 40 packs of Cali Connect seeds from Harborside for his outdoor this year. I'm sure there are people buying 100 packs.

Quality genetics are available to anybody.

Venom818

Venom818

They were already uprooted by Pennsylvania hillbillies. They just don't know it yet. Same lattitude, better soil and all the good strains. We have been kicking humboldt ass for quite a spell now.

LOL!!

I want it to stay illegal in a way too. And yet I don't. They already took our stills.

:giggle yeah thats why all the growers are after those elite pennsylvania strains and the pennsylvania dank:flower

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
its a tough fight about the Cali weed. its so much easier to get strains out there and to the masses when all you have to do is call up a shop and say i got blah blah blah and its better then blah blah blah. out on the east coast its all underground man. shit is so underground we don't even know the names of some of the shit we get, we just know its good or bad.

I'm not dissing Cali in anyway it's beautiful but just cuz a guy grows weed in Cali doesn't mean its good. Shit now a days anyone that grows weed weather good or bad considers themselves a grower. But if they grew oranges and them shits came out fucked up small and tasted terrible they wouldn't run around telling people they were orange farmers would they?

Venom818

Venom818

its a tough fight about the Cali weed. its so much easier to get strains out there and to the masses when all you have to do is call up a shop and say i got blah blah blah and its better then blah blah blah. out on the east coast its all underground man. shit is so underground we don't even know the names of some of the shit we get, we just know its good or bad.

I'm not dissing Cali in anyway it's beautiful but just cuz a guy grows weed in Cali doesn't mean its good. Shit now a days anyone that grows weed weather good or bad considers themselves a grower. But if they grew oranges and them shits came out fucked up small and tasted terrible they wouldn't run around telling people they were orange farmers would they?

good point but im sure the farmer in cali that have been doing this for 30 years may know a thing or 2 about growing

S

SkyHi

Ok ok lets not turn this into a pissing match of whos got the dank. we all know its cali, lol. jk....lets keep this to a debate sort of speak about legalization...we already had one similar thread closed....

Illmind

Illmind

Tobor I wouldn't doubt it.. For sure there is the super kill underground somehwere in the US and it's gonna stay that way most liklely even if MMJ law come into effect. Why fuck a good thing up? Every Dead or Phish show I went to in State College, PA basically they had some of the best nugs in the world by far always. That don't mean the dude I seen was from there but it was a coincidence. Like kid twist says no names no witnesses just the kill. You start asking to many questions on the east coast people think you po's. And crystal meth production is going up either way son I hate to tell you, and when you take that weed bread away something else will fill that void believe it. I know all you got in your head is you galloping on a horse away from the weed store into the sunset smoking a clear wrapper but this law effects more than you think.

N

nor cali farmer

tobor dont push that penn swag on us bro. its been cali from the start and will be till the end. so go smoke another 1/4 of your kill and think of something else to say that we all can have roll on . peace thc joe in cali

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom