humidity

• Thread starter mrgreenthumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrgreenthumb

Been living here in new mexico for a year now..moved from florida.which is high humidity,had no problems there for a long time.brought my strains with from there.
But been fighting slow growth ever since moving here..with no apparant reason why other than the humidity and thinner air...plants don't show nay burn,plenty of fresh air and so on...any ideas?I grow in pro mix also..soiless meduim

Scorpion

Scorpion

Hi mrgreenthumb,
Not sure what the problem indoors could be,but outdoors you will experience very cool night time temps,even in the summer if you are at elevation,which most of the state is above 4000ft.
I generally do not even start outdoors until summer solstice ,which has proven to be very successful.
Aphids,spider mites and occasionaly white flies will attack the crops.
try not to use any pesticide ,it kills the good bugs too like Bees,Mantis,wasp,butterfly and we need them.
Last season I used nothing but worm tea and I had zero pest problems,
even thought the pests were present the entire grow,the plants did not suffer.

good luck
scorpion

M

mrgreenthumb

Thanks for the help ...will check the temps carefully.just didn't know if humidity in the 20's was causing it.was just wondering if I should be increasing humidity...I am growing indoors.and just having a rough time

coolslayer

coolslayer

I would say adding a humidifier indoors would help.....your humidity needs to be higher during the vegetation phase.

sky_blue

sky_blue

I don't know if I'm aged enough to post, but your problem is obvious. If you're doing veg. at 20% humidity, that's absolutely going to create problems. Up it w/a humidifier to 60-70%.

mr_rodzilla

mr_rodzilla

I don't know if I'm aged enough to post, but your problem is obvious. If you're doing veg. at 20% humidity, that's absolutely going to create problems. Up it w/a humidifier to 60-70%.

What he said!

M

mrgreenthumb

been working on the room,got temps under control.moneys been tight thou.growth is slow in veg but plants look ok.really need to pick up a humidifier i guess but need a good one with a gauge i can set and hooks up to water supply directly,found one runs almost 200 dollars.

have put a few plants into flower roots looked pretty good nice and white but the vigorous growth is just not there.in flower the plants just go no where.no stretch,stop using water.i am going to try to get a humidifier.temps in flower room running 77-80f ..really getting depressing had a really nice garden in florida never a problem now i cant grow nothing.the only thing different is the humidity now.but i figured the low humidity would be awesome for flowering but things are not working out the way i thought

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

been working on the room,got temps under control.moneys been tight thou.growth is slow in veg but plants look ok.really need to pick up a humidifier i guess but need a good one with a gauge i can set and hooks up to water supply directly,found one runs almost 200 dollars.

have put a few plants into flower roots looked pretty good nice and white but the vigorous growth is just not there.in flower the plants just go no where.no stretch,stop using water.i am going to try to get a humidifier.temps in flower room running 77-80f ..really getting depressing had a really nice garden in florida never a problem now i cant grow nothing.the only thing different is the humidity now.but i figured the low humidity would be awesome for flowering but things are not working out the way i thought
I live in the far north. It gets below -40 F here for 4 months a year. My humidity in my house in the dead of winter can get as low as 8 percent, want to see a spark show off the cat?? In my room I can never get it above 33% in flower, and in veg I struggle to get it to 30%. Other than the slow growth in veg, the flower room always seems to explode, and produce more resin at 30% humidity...

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

A portable swamp cooler would work well depending on your space. Anyway you slice it you need to drop atleast $200 to remedy this problem. If you want vigorous growth and big lush leaves you need to get your RH up to 50% atleast 60% is even better. Also if your Temps go up try and balance it by bumping your RH up.

pugliese63

pugliese63

Learn about VPD, it will help you understand.

Thank you Seamaiden. This is your answer. I'd like to say that once I read up and starting using a VPD calculator my results improved tremendously. Many growers are unaware of the relationship between humidity and temps. I can't stress enough how important this is. I live in the deep south where there is plenty of humidity or so I thought. I installed a temp/humidity gauge that would give minimum and maximum readings in addition to real time. Using a VPD calculator I found out I was actually short on humidity during lights on sometimes to be in the optimal range ( I run CO2 and keep my "daytime" temps at 85 and humidity at 82%, lights off temps at 63 and humidity at 56%) I actually added a humidifier in addition to my dehumidifier. You'll be surprised at how high the humidity should be to obtain optimal growth. You should also note that with many areas of the country in serious drought that humidity levels are way below average right now and need to be compensated for.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Pugliese, this is excellent information. I've had many queries on how to manage VPD when running CO2, and because I've never run a sealed room, let alone with supplemented CO2, I can't answer their questions. Now I know who can! Thank you.

Cort

Cort

A bucket (I use a 18 g rubbermade tub) some rags and a fan. poor mans humidifier.

Fill bucket 1/2 way or so, I use RO because I have it and I get less mineral build up,

I set a few bamboo stakes across the bucket and hang my rags/towels into the water.

Fan blows across the towels.

It does help and you probably have everything you need, but it is not as good as a real humidifier.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Thanks for the help ...will check the temps carefully.just didn't know if humidity in the 20's was causing it.was just wondering if I should be increasing humidity...I am growing indoors.and just having a rough time

humidity that low will deff cause slo veg!!!

Add an evapative cooler , will bring up ur humidity and help cool ur room. u can get one for 150$ and they are cheap on electricity!!

Confu...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
A bucket (I use a 18 g rubbermade tub) some rags and a fan. poor mans humidifier.

Fill bucket 1/2 way or so, I use RO because I have it and I get less mineral build up,

I set a few bamboo stakes across the bucket and hang my rags/towels into the water.

Fan blows across the towels.

It does help and you probably have everything you need, but it is not as good as a real humidifier.
I can name your technique!

Hanging towels
Blowing fan

I bet we can haiku that, too.

Humidity dress
The fan blowing across towels

Top Bottom