Hydro Innovations Water-Cooled Co2 Generator

• Thread starter Texas Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

grizz

just finished hooking up my hydrogen yesterday, awsome, 20 to 30 seconds on to get ppm from 500 to 1350 ppm. then around 10 TO 15 seconds to keep it between 1350 and 1250. 5 plus minutes before it kicks back on, NO MORE CO2 BOTTLES...

girlwondergrows

girlwondergrows

I'm just running the water heater version in my room, didn't want to spring 200 for the hydrogen sticker....

Its running to waste from the well, but it only runs maybe 20 minutes a night... very little. And thats with 125 ft2.

gwg

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I'm just running the water heater version in my room, didn't want to spring 200 for the hydrogen sticker....

Its running to waste from the well, but it only runs maybe 20 minutes a night... very little. And thats with 125 ft2.

gwg

Nice, I want to set up a run to waste on my setup but I don't have a drain right where i need it...

Tex

G

grizz

after 6 month of using the hydro gen I killed it, to many problems for me, damn thing wouldent stay lit, seemed to always be a problem of some kind.

SmokinDogCujo

SmokinDogCujo

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm pretty sure I read that someone on IC had an issue with their's where it caused a fire...

J

Jalisco Kid

Grizz did you check to see if you got the right orifice for the gas you are using? JK

G

grizz

yeah its the right orifice, worked great for a month or so then it started not staying lit, adjusted water flow and gas and it worked good then the same shit started happining. I just dont think they worked the bugs out of it before releasing it, the owner of my grow shop said he wont even sell them any more because people are have to much trouble with them.

B

bass ackwards

grizz,sorry to hear of your troubles,that's disappointing. I was all hyped up on these units,and really had a place for one in my upcoming grow. Have you contacted the manufacturer about your problems? Possibly you could get your money back. It is little comfort to you,but thanks for posting your problem it may save others for making a purchase that they may come to regret also.

Respect bass

G

grizz

no I havent takin the time to contact them, after all the trouble and seeing the amount of difference it makes using co2 I really dont think its worth the time and money to use it. there certainly isent the big yield defference that people speak of, to me just keep it simple is still the best advise I ever got on growing.

S

Silica

Brewing beer is pretty simple, if you keep a few barrels and have a roster sort of thing.
Its all i bother with in small setups up to 4m2.

Was thinking of getting one of these before reading your complaints Grizz.

P

PRODUCT

was about to buy one today! guess not anymore!! whats the great alternative?

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
Yep got rid of my water cooled co 2 gen from hydro innovations...Would not stay lit and when it did the water temps coming out where way to high for my 60 gallon rez...I really like there ice boxes..Jack :smiley_joint:

R

Rolln J

so whats the deal with these - are they any good as far as lasting/giving problems?

grizz did you get your sorted out? seems like there should be a manufactures warranty for at least a year on these bad boys?

399 is cheap for a generator with that many btu's - was thinking about going with their co2 controller as well - propane is more economical then canned co2 (at least it is for now) and you dont raise any eyebrows with propane can refills. Im on a well so I figure I can go drain to waste and run a greywater line out to my garden.

N

noone88

I'm using two of these.

According to my hydroshop guy/Hydroinnovations, they discontinued the NG model due to low gas pressure in many states.

I have one model that works very well; it fires and stays lit most of the time. I've had two non-firing in the past 3-4 months.

My other model, which is more recent, required a LP to NG conversion kit done by Hydroinnovations, does not like to stay lit. I'm guessing the failure rate is approximately 33%. My solution was to put a cycle timer on my CO2 controller. It is set to refire every 5 minutes.

Drain to waste is the best way to run the HydroGEN. The increase in water usage (and cost is minimal). I saw a $10-15 a month increase in usage (6k watt, 20x20 area)

It works well... when it works.

A standard CO2 burner is a reliable, but absolutely brutal to run during summer months (depending on your location, of course)

J

Jalisco Kid

If you ever need a nice size unit this one has worked well for years. JK

t.o.med

t.o.med

the johnson rocks 66,ooo btu co2 gen for 500 bucks. when i had my 30 light room i had this hooked up to a 100 pound propane tank.

R

Rolln J

am I correct in assuming that this unit is basically just a slightly modified inline water heater?

I have a generator already - just not running it because my room is much smaller then my old one that I bought it for and theres no way I could even run it in summer...

where I live its about an hour each way to get a co2 tank filled - but I can get propane 15 minutes away...

thanks for the response noone88

N

noone88

Correct, it is a modified tank-less water heater. There was a thread on ICMag about it's origins, but apparently it is slightly modified from another design so that it produces more CO2 and with less impurities (like carbon monoxide).

A lot of people have the ignition problem.

N

noone88

an update: my "working" HydroGEN is not successfully firing most of the time. I had to put a cycle timer on it as well.

There is a new HydroGEN (white instead of black) which uses dc power to ignite instead of battery. However, they are only making propane versions.

I will be going back to the sentinel units and using the Hydrogen during the warm seasons.

J

Josey Wales

I already have a tankless hot water heater but don't know much about how it works. Is it constantly producing co2, even when I am not running the hot water? Could I just redirect the vent over to a grow room or does it only produce co2 when running the hot water. There must be some way to utilize what I have already have.

Top Bottom