Hydro Permafrost T5 HO lights

• Thread starter deadcat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
deadcat

deadcat

Got some Permafrost growing w/the T5 HO lights, got 4 2ft bulbs. have 6500 spectrum for veg, 3000 for flowering. Using Fox Farm: Grow Big (Veg) and Fox Farm: Big Bloom (Flower). This will be my first time using the T5 light system. I will be flowering them sometime between 4-8 wks, gonna try to weight till they hit 18 inches then start the 12/12 cycle.

Going with 6 plants using a hydro set up. Setup is in a 4ft x 2ft x 5ft tent. 12 inch fan running 24/7 on the plants (same with lights... 24/7). Using seeds from a discounted bag (because it had seeds) I got from a dispensary out here.

(Window Sill from germination through 1st wk)

IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_02181.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_02202.JPG

Just kept the rockwool cubes damp by putting emptying/adding new water to the plate each day.

(After wk 1, moved to tent)

IMG_02321.JPG

6 site hydro container w/air pump & air stone. 12 inch fan, 4 2ft T5 HO lights.

(End of wk 1 pics)

IMG_02301.JPG
IMG_02263.JPG

S

Steve Z

hey man

i use that same light on my clones/seeds, the 6 bulb one

have the 6 bulb 4' on my veggers/mothers,

and i PROMISE you will want more light for flowering. i promise

deadcat

deadcat

hey man

i use that same light on my clones/seeds, the 6 bulb one

have the 6 bulb 4' on my veggers/mothers,

and i PROMISE you will want more light for flowering. i promise

Yeah, I plan to flower pretty early to help w/that, I know the lights have about a 3ft max range. Gonna be using the 3k spectrum w/Big Bloom to help w/flowering. If the results suck I will prob switch to HPS 400 watt when flowering next time, but I've heard some good results about the T5 HO during flowering, I have also used Fluoro to flower before (not T5 though) and actually got some decent and dense buds. Thanks for the input.

If anyone has used the T5 3k spectrum for flowering I'd like to hear about it.

S

Steve Z

oh i used it.

it makes great looking buds, but they usually tend to lack density. and the popcorn starts closer than you'd think.

if you use another t5 for side lighting that tends to work good as well. not saying it cant nor shouldnt be done, just compared to a 400 you'd be blown away

deadcat

deadcat

oh i used it.

it makes great looking buds, but they usually tend to lack density. and the popcorn starts closer than you'd think.

if you use another t5 for side lighting that tends to work good as well. not saying it cant nor shouldnt be done, just compared to a 400 you'd be blown away

Cool, thanks for the advice. I seen your gallery, stuff looks good! Maybe I'll just get that HPS anyways, still have to wait till next grow though because my funds for next couple months won't be too good. If not for anything else this should at least make a decent T5+Hydro grow journal for others to learn from. Didn't see too many out there, prob for the reasons you brought up.

NeoMarius

NeoMarius

Definitly bro, I am jazzed to see this go full cycle with what you have planned. Only tip with the t5's is to spread them through out the garden between plants even. If you can get singles they rock. Daisy chain them together and weave them through the garden. Ive set them bulb up on my pots for undergrowth with my 600 watt but never went solo. They do help but Im psyched to see what they do alone.

deadcat

deadcat

Definitly bro, I am jazzed to see this go full cycle with what you have planned. Only tip with the t5's is to spread them through out the garden between plants even. If you can get singles they rock. Daisy chain them together and weave them through the garden. Ive set them bulb up on my pots for undergrowth with my 600 watt but never went solo. They do help but Im psyched to see what they do alone.

Cool that's good to hear that you're interested. I was pretty tough for me to get info on this type of growing so I figured a journal for others would be nice. Gonna be keeping the lights real close and flower early (because fluoro lighting and all). Weaving the lights between the plants would be a good Idea to help the bottom buds finish, that's the biggest problem I've had w/fluoro, never used the T5 though. I will be adding posts with new updates/pics etc.. as I go (I wish it would let me just update the first post but I guess there is a time limit to edit your post. I'm gonna take a couple pics each week then post those pics at the end of that week to show progress. :fighting0085:

How's the bat shit been working for fert? The Fox Farm: Big Bloom I got has bat guano (and seabird guano) in it, heard it's supposed to be pretty good for flowering.

Gonna try to keep this grow around 3-5 months but we'll see how it goes.

genepool

genepool

Good luck with this run deadcat, I can't wait to see how these come out for u using hydro & t5 fluorescent lights.

D

dmtcorey

looks like she,s going to be interesting ,im along for the ride!

peace

deadcat

deadcat

I plan on posting new pics/updates each Friday evening BTW.

deadcat

deadcat

Got some Permafrost growing w/the T5 HO lights, got 4 2ft bulbs. have 6500 spectrum for veg, 3000 for flowering. Using Fox Farm: Grow Big (Veg) and Fox Farm: Big Bloom (Flower). This will be my first time using the T5 light system. I will be flowering them sometime between 4-8 wks, gonna try to weight till they hit 18 inches then start the 12/12 cycle.

Going with 6 plants using a hydro set up. Setup is in a 4ft x 2ft x 5ft tent. 12 inch fan running 24/7 on the plants (same with lights... 24/7). Using seeds from a discounted bag (because it had seeds) I got from a dispensary out here.

(Window Sill from germination through 1st wk)

IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_02181.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_02202.JPG

Just kept the rockwool cubes damp by putting emptying/adding new water to the plate each day.

(After wk 1, moved to tent)

IMG_02321.JPG

6 site hydro container w/air pump & air stone. 12 inch fan, 4 2ft T5 HO lights.

(End of wk 1 pics)

IMG_02301.JPG
IMG_02263.JPG

(End of wk 2 pics)

Nutrients being used:

Fox Farm: Grow Big (Veg)

IMG_02613.JPG

Fox Farm: Big Bloom (Flower)

IMG_02593.JPG

Day by day pics (Friday (last week) - Friday (today))

IMG_02351.JPG
IMG_02361.JPG
IMG_02372.JPG
IMG_02382.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_02402.JPG
IMG_02411.JPG

Roots

IMG_0242.JPG

Purple phenotype (under leaves) on 2 of them

IMG_02431.JPG

I followed an individual plant too (one of the plants Sat - Fri)

IMG_0244.JPG
IMG_02481.JPG
IMG_02501.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_02581.JPG

RETARD PLANT -

Here's one that I accidentally dropped my grinder on before moving the plants into the tent to start with. It was completely bent in half but I propped it up with a stem for a couple days and it made it through...

Begining of week one:

IMG_02592.JPG

End of week one:

IMG_02602.JPG

Going to add CO2 to help speed things up;

Fill container half way w/cool water... add 1 Tablespoon Sugar, 1 Tablespoon Active Yeast (I'm using highly active). Leave open or put hole in top, shake every 6 or 7 hrs for first 48hrs, then every couple days until it doesn't "fizz" anymore, repeat as needed.

!!Be careful!!

-If done wrong (Too much yeast and/or sugar) the result can explode!! Always use both in equal proportions.

-Toxicity and its effects increase with the concentration of CO2, here given in volume percent of CO2 in the air:

* 1% can cause drowsiness with prolonged exposure.
* At 2% it is mildly narcotic and causes increased blood pressure and pulse rate, and causes reduced hearing.
* At about 5% it causes stimulation of the respiratory center, dizziness, confusion and difficulty in breathing accompanied by headache and shortness of breath. Panic attacks may also occur at this concentration.
* At about 8% it causes headache, sweating, dim vision, tremor and loss of consciousness after exposure for between five and ten minutes.

IMG_02631.JPG

See Here for more on how to do this:
Make your own CO2

This will be placed in the grow room furthest corner from the entrance. My hopes is the fan will help blow the somewhat concentrated CO2 on the plants as it comes out of the bottle, either way it would increase total CO2 in tent and used by plants. We'll see how it goes.

IMG_0264.JPG

deadcat

deadcat

First time doing hydro so, looks like some mistakes popped up. Seems like the purple "phenotype" was just a indication of Nute burn... PH meter and TDS stick on the way, hard to get things stabilized w/o, had them on plain water for 2 days were doing good. After adding the tiniest bit of nutes they are now showing more signs of nute burn, gonna have to lay off some more on the nutes... By the time the PH meter and TDS meter arrive I may need to scrap this project and start over if things get too bad.

NeoMarius

NeoMarius

I myself never give them anything but pure h2o untill they reach at least 4-5 inches. Lil babies cant eat steak hence my sig. Hydro is very touchy and with them being so young you have some work ahead. I would give them a flush and keep them wet n hungry. It wont hurt them to with hold nute till they show a need for it. They may take a bit longer to veg but they will grow and finish healthy. I wish I had pic's from when I first set my hydro up years ago. Seedling's scorched earth. Poor lil guys were burned and limp noodling it. Blew 10-20 beans before I got the method down. Now clones on the other hand can go water farm soon as the roots are showing through. But seedlings are best kept in a humidity dome with a light heat underneath(75-81F). Ill be watching to see if you can get these beauties tall n hairy and hit me on back. Love the tent and your fan is proper. Great work with the Co2 by the way. I brew beer too so its an old trick you dont see everywhere so prop's.

S

Steve Z

man good luck and be safe with that homemade co2. shit scares the hell out of me.

if anything i'd just use those "greenpads" or whatever. they're super cheap and give GOOD co2, and arent likely to kill ya :-)

deadcat

deadcat

You guys think I'll be able to use this same reservoir the whole time if I keep them short or will I need to get a new one soon? It holds 3 gallons.

I myself never give them anything but pure h2o untill they reach at least 4-5 inches. Lil babies cant eat steak hence my sig. Hydro is very touchy and with them being so young you have some work ahead. I would give them a flush and keep them wet n hungry. It wont hurt them to with hold nute till they show a need for it. They may take a bit longer to veg but they will grow and finish healthy. I wish I had pic's from when I first set my hydro up years ago. Seedling's scorched earth. Poor lil guys were burned and limp noodling it. Blew 10-20 beans before I got the method down. Now clones on the other hand can go water farm soon as the roots are showing through. But seedlings are best kept in a humidity dome with a light heat underneath(75-81F). Ill be watching to see if you can get these beauties tall n hairy and hit me on back. Love the tent and your fan is proper. Great work with the Co2 by the way. I brew beer too so its an old trick you dont see everywhere so prop's.

Oh you're a life saver, I was wondering if I could just give them plain water for a while. That's what I was thinking, just a matter of getting the amounts/timing down. But if I can wait till veg or close to then to start nutes that's prob better for them. How do I know when they start needing it again, leaf color or something?

man good luck and be safe with that homemade co2. shit scares the hell out of me.

if anything i'd just use those "greenpads" or whatever. they're super cheap and give GOOD co2, and arent likely to kill ya :-)

Oh nice! I took out the co2 because I've read if some of the yeast gets on the plants it can infect them or eat away at them or something, but I will check out those "greenpads" I was trying to think of a cheap alternative that wouldn't put my plants at risk. What do you think of these?

(pretty cheap!)

and these aren't that dangerous to be around too?

I remember you mentioned you use grow big, when I put these back on nutes after a while, how much you think I should use to start? 1/4 tsp per gal? Don't want to burn them all over again.:doh

I'll be posting some picks of the plants throughout this last week tomorrow btw. They're not getting any worse at least.

deadcat

deadcat

After flushing and staying with fresh water (no nutes) I'm not seeing any new death spots or yellowing tips. the ones that were already yellow or damage have pretty much dried or are drying out but no new damage that I can see. Looks like I'm going to stay w/fresh water indefinitely until things look a little better. Here are the pics.

(End of wk 3 pics)
IMG_02692.JPG
IMG_02701.JPG
IMG_02751.JPG
IMG_02772.JPG
IMG_02791.JPG
IMG_0278.JPG
IMG_02802.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_02831.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG

the ones in the back (back middle and back right) look pretty horrible IMO, I think these were getting different concentration or air+nutes b/c lack of water circulation. I was using a 4 in air stone but I noticed the distribution was one sided. I have since got a 12 inch flexible air stone that goes through out the entire center. Now when I lift the lid there are bubbles being produced throughout the entire center, going towards each pot.. Instead of just one side of the reservoir. This should at least help w/circulation.

Pic #4 is where I stopped nutes, then pic #8 put about 1/8 tsp/gal, started burning, back on plain water ever since.

NeoMarius

NeoMarius

Lol, Experimentation is everything so dont get down. Im glad your babes are doing better. Remember, take it very slow. Plain water until 5-8 inches or if they look moist and healthy but are changing in color to a lighter shade. Then give a very small amount of High N. Be very sparing with it as you can always add more but its a bitch to take it away and often is too late to help. I am very pleased that theyre not getting worse. They may show no sign of growth for a week they may blow the fuck up. You can never be certain how a living thing will react to adverse stimuli. Keep them very moist too I would advise. Humidity 55%-75% for babies 55%-65% most of veg unless signs of mold show. Then cut it to 35%-50% humidity for bloom. Not Recomended for all strains!!! As they all differ in the original climates they were brought from. General rule tho is moist for growth dry for bud. Naw whut Im sayin. Good luck and kepp me posted bud.

deadcat

deadcat

Lol, Experimentation is everything so dont get down. Im glad your babes are doing better. Remember, take it very slow. Plain water until 5-8 inches or if they look moist and healthy but are changing in color to a lighter shade. Then give a very small amount of High N. Be very sparing with it as you can always add more but its a bitch to take it away and often is too late to help. I am very pleased that theyre not getting worse. They may show no sign of growth for a week they may blow the fuck up. You can never be certain how a living thing will react to adverse stimuli. Keep them very moist too I would advise. Humidity 55%-75% for babies 55%-65% most of veg unless signs of mold show. Then cut it to 35%-50% humidity for bloom. Not Recomended for all strains!!! As they all differ in the original climates they were brought from. General rule tho is moist for growth dry for bud. Naw whut Im sayin. Good luck and kepp me posted bud.

Cool, thanks for the advice & support. I'll be sure to keep this thread up to date with any new progress as well as continuing to post new pics each Friday.

How often you think I should change the water? I've been doing it ever day or two so far? Wanna make sure it stays fresh, not sure if plants put stuff back into the water or not (waste?).

Top Bottom