HYDRO Vs SOIL.

• Thread starter LUDACRIS.
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LUDACRIS.

I have to respectfully disagree that hydroponics will yield higher than organics. There is a difference between growth rate and the yield. Because something grows faster does not mean it yields more in the same space. If you factor in time for veg growth, hydroponics will have the edge in yield. If you have a separate veg area, that timing issue is irrelevant.

Having greater aromatics is a matter of opinion and relative to growing skill and methods. When done correctly, organics (organic nutrients, soilless mixes) produce buds that smell just as strong as those grown hydroponically. I will concede that hydro-grown plants do have a slightly faster growth rate, but to solidly state that they yield more overall, I believe is misleading.

The reason that I switched to organics was because I didn't see enough difference in either growth or anything else to warrant the need for so much monitoring and expensive meters and nutrients. I think that the only provable plus to hydroponics is growth rate.Whereas the cons are chemical aftertaste in the flavour of buds, extreme susceptibility to over/under fertilization, very high initial investment, many things to break and clog, etc.

If grown in a nice airy organic soil mix and watered with good organic amendments, growth enhancers and beneficial fungi (mycorrhizae), you will easily compete with that of a hydroponic system. Your end result will be full flavored, non-chemical tasting buds. They can be arguably, slightly more potent due to the fact that, as of now, science cannot compete with Mother Nature and naturally occurring elements.

Bottom line - unless you are obsessed with fittings, toys and technology (and many are) organics can grow nearly as fast, just as big (if not bigger), better tasting and IMHO more potent buds. And they do this with very little initial investment, and are very forgiving of newbie mistakes.

(LFAQ).

CHRIS.
:)

I

iamachavvy

I prefer to use organic soil, just because of the pure fact that it takes less monitoring and is less expensive like you said, and i'm always happy with the crop at the end :) :) :)

L

LUDACRIS.

I prefer to use organic soil, just because of the pure fact that it takes less monitoring and is less expensive like you said, and i'm always happy with the crop at the end :) :) :)

Thats why i grow with soil/organic.

LUDA.
(chav lol).

r ye fae edinburgh or weegie land ??

T

trusmoker

yeah soil is king for taste too hydro is a pain in my eyes plus the buds grow differnt kinda airy if u ask me lol hydro is good for 1 thing thats making an wasting money :)
peace ts

L

LUDACRIS.

yeah soil is king for taste too hydro is a pain in my eyes plus the buds grow differnt kinda airy if u ask me lol hydro is good for 1 thing thats making an wasting money :)
peace ts

Hydro kits are also usefull for filling your trash can with and giving you severe headaches.......LOL.

LBH

LBH

I grew in soil for 6 yrs. When I switched to hydro I noticed ZERO difference in taste. The myth is just that,....a myth. You'll find that many senior growers who have tackled both, will agree.

My yields DID increase and increased furthermore as I got dialed in. I now put out much more than I used to. I'm comfortable saying it's no less than an ounce per plant.

I GLADLY "mess with fittings" and technology and such (once, upon initial set up, my systems have never needed repair or upgrades) to NOT have to deal with dirt, mud, the removal of, and the replacement of (I'm on the 3rd floor, lugging 7gallons of dirt PER POT up and down sucks)

Then there's the cost,...the biggee. Ever price FFOF??? Ever price tap water? Nuff said, but add to that the fact that you use considerably less nutes (and get more bud), from a cost perspective, hydro is a no brainer. FWIW- It costs me $46 to set up a 4 bucket system with res. I run 4 sets of 4 perpetually.

Now there's the issue of dealing with runoff. I test for EXACT ph and ppm in 1 bucket. Easier to feed, I feed 4 plants in one shot and know they are at EXACTLY 5.8 and know EXACTLY how much food is in there. I can also monitor how much of it they are using. Priceless in dialing in a strain.

so lets recap

MUCH cleaner
MUCH better feed and ph regulation
Cheaper
easier
better yields of same quality

LBH

LBH

peace ts

Wow,lol. You need to come spend a week over here :) I grow buds that would crack your skull if I threw it hard enough. Not saying my soil buds weren't rocks, just saying the method is moot, the talent is what will get you to that finish line, not the medium.

I used to spend $66 per 4 plants for FFOF. Water is free dude. Not sure where all the "cost" comments are based on. Taste, that's personal preference and no one can argue your findings on that because it's an opinion. Cost though, that's pure fact.

L

LUDACRIS.

RECAP !!!!!!

I have to respectfully disagree that hydroponics will yield higher than organics. There is a difference between growth rate and the yield. Because something grows faster does not mean it yields more in the same space. If you factor in time for veg growth, hydroponics will have the edge in yield. If you have a separate veg area, that timing issue is irrelevant.

Having greater aromatics is a matter of opinion and relative to growing skill and methods. When done correctly, organics (organic nutrients, soilless mixes) produce buds that smell just as strong as those grown hydroponically. I will concede that hydro-grown plants do have a slightly faster growth rate, but to solidly state that they yield more overall, I believe is misleading.

The reason that I switched to organics was because I didn't see enough difference in either growth or anything else to warrant the need for so much monitoring and expensive meters and nutrients. I think that the only provable plus to hydroponics is growth rate.Whereas the cons are chemical aftertaste in the flavour of buds, extreme susceptibility to over/under fertilization, very high initial investment, many things to break and clog, etc.

If grown in a nice airy organic soil mix and watered with good organic amendments, growth enhancers and beneficial fungi (mycorrhizae), you will easily compete with that of a hydroponic system. Your end result will be full flavored, non-chemical tasting buds. They can be arguably, slightly more potent due to the fact that, as of now, science cannot compete with Mother Nature and naturally occurring elements.

Bottom line - unless you are obsessed with fittings, toys and technology (and many are) organics can grow nearly as fast, just as big (if not bigger), better tasting and IMHO more potent buds. And they do this with very little initial investment, and are very forgiving of newbie mistakes.

(LFAQ).

CHRIS.

I grew in soil for 6 yrs. When I switched to hydro I noticed ZERO difference in taste. The myth is just that,....a myth. You'll find that many senior growers who have tackled both, will agree.

My yields DID increase and and increased furthermore as I got dialed in. I now put out much more than I used to. I'm comfortable saying it's no less than an ounce per plant.

I GLADLY "mess with fittings and technology and such (once, upon initial set up, my systems have never needed repair or upgrades) to NOT have to deal with dirt, mud, the removal of, and the replacement of (I'm on the 3rd floor, lugging 7gallons of dirt PER POT up and down sucks)

Then there's the cost,...the biggee. Ever price FFOF??? Ever price tap water? Nuff said, but add to that the fact that you use considerably less nutes (and get more bud), from a cost perspective, hydro is a no brainer. FWIW- It costs me $46 to set up a 4 bucket system with res.

Now there's the issue of dealing with runoff. I test for EXACT ph and oppm in 1 bucket. Easier to feed, I feed 4 plants in one shot and know they are at EXACTLY 5.8 and know EXACTLY how much food is in there. I can also monitor how much of it they are using. Priceless in dialing in a strain.

so lets recap

MUCH cleaner
MUCH better feed and ph regulation
Cheaper
easier
better yields of same quality

RECAPED ABOVE.

You can NOT compete with mother nature. FACT and you will never yield more going hydro than growing soil. NOT possible.

:worried

L

LUDACRIS.

Wow,lol. You need to come spend a week over here :) I grow buds that would crack your skull if I threw it hard enough. Not saying my soil buds weren't rocks, just saying the method is moot, the talent is what will get you to that finish line, not the medium.

I used to spend $66 per 4 plants for FFOF. Water is free dude. Not sure where all the "cost" comments are based on. Taste, that's personal preference and no one can argue your findings on that because it's an opinion. Cost though, that's pure fact.

If you want the best expect to pay for it.

LUDA.

LBH

LBH

That's comical. No,..."simple" is the right word. I just think we are using different definitions (wink). Best comment I ever heard from a grower, old breeder out in Michigan,...."Less is more". I believe he's on icmag under the same name, read some of his shit if you really want a clue on how unintelligent your last comment was.

If I'm lost, please don't try to find me.

Now, I'm trying to have an adult debate here but so far, all we have from your side is opinion and unfounded, condescending comments. You might be more comfortable over on the Grasscity (roll eyes) but if there's anyone with experience in both methods and half a clue as to hold a discussion that wants to chew the fat on this subject, I'm here.

LBH

LBH

just to clarify two things.

When I say soil vs hydro, I'm talking about the same grow environment, same size bucket, dirt vs soil, not my 5 gal hydro bucket against a 375gallon smartpot on some mtn peak in Mendo. Hydro vs mother nature and hydro vs dirt are 2 different things

If you are tasting chemicals or anything other than good old fashioned weed when you smoke, hydro OR SOIL,....rethink your flushing regimen. I would bet my house that you could not tell my soil weed from my hydro weed in a blind taste test. I'm going to give you 10 joints, you're tell me which ones are hydro, which are soil?.....nonsense.

T

Teknix

Well thanks fellas for Clearing all that up . Im new to the farmer forums , although have been farmibng for years and im still been debating in my mind which is best . I do agree the FFOF isa quite pricey.. when doin 10 3 gallon pots.

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Ive grown an ECSD in both mediums. The hydro blew the soil away as far as yield. Im talking double the quantity. Fact is i grow in soil b/c i dont need the yields. Im also shooting for taste, smell, and bag appeal and it tends to be a bit better in soil.

L

LUDACRIS.

That's comical. No,..."simple" is the right word. I just think we are using different definitions (wink). Best comment I ever heard from a grower, old breeder out in Michigan,...."Less is more". I believe he's on icmag under the same name, read some of his shit if you really want a clue on how unintelligent your last comment was.

If I'm lost, please don't try to find me.

Now, I'm trying to have an adult debate here but so far, all we have from your side is opinion and unfounded, condescending comments. You might be more comfortable over on the Grasscity (roll eyes) but if there's anyone with experience in both methods and half a clue as to hold a discussion that wants to chew the fat on this subject, I'm here.

You should not be advertising other websites on here and telling me to go and join them. I have my own website thanks to jokers like yourself. Thanks for doing your moderating job. Now go and start a fight with somebody else.

Th lmao rainbow
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I grew soil for years (at least 15) - got tired of getting bags of dirt stock with aphids, root aphids, white flies etc etc

in the same space with the same lights I kill my soil yeilds and my room turnover is much faster

I also grow weed that doesnt taste like its hydro - its all about what you use - how much and when you use it and yes a good flush

and what I mean by flush is cutting nutes out and watering for 10-14 days depending on your medium

no flushing agents unless you count molasses

in the years I have been playing in hydro - dog chow - rockwool - hempy - and now coco - not once have I said hey I miss dirt

as far as bag appeal I feel my nugs have that and then some

I always tell people if it works for you then thats what works best

I am not here to tell anybody there grow style is bullshit

MEGA956

MEGA956

//Its all about personal taste, some people love hydro otheres dont. Hydro works for
LBH and thats why obviously he likes it and will defend his grow-op.

//Cannardo made a good point too, about why he uses soil, for taste and bag appeal.
Hydro is more a commercial style, more quantity less quality. Soil is more personal
grow, more quality less quantity.

//Any debate is more than welcome.

L

LUDACRIS.

//Its all about personal taste, some people love hydro otheres dont. Hydro works for
LBH and thats why obviously he likes it and will defend his grow-op.

//Cannardo made a good point too, about why he uses soil, for taste and bag appeal.
Hydro is more a commercial style, more quantity less quality. Soil is more personal
grow, more quality less quantity.

//Any debate is more than welcome.

Yes you are very right there.

CHRIS.
(i am to busy to argue with anybody as everyone to thier own and thats it).

B

bongtime

hydro vs soil

alright lads here is a pic of my first hydro grow ebb and flood table..and second pic is my first soil run i am doing now!! the soil plants are 5 weeks 12/12...am not doing soil again...lol..here are the pics...

hydro grow
http://i111.invalid.com/albums/n138/alza06/firsthydrogrow.jpg

soil grow
http://i111.invalid.com/albums/n138/alza06/firstsoilgrow.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom