I keep getting tastelss, odorless buds!

• Thread starter greenops
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Hello fellow farmers,

I’m getting desperate. I had 2 indoor runs and one outdoor grow so far and I keep ending up with tasteless buds! I’ve been getting decent yields, the buds do look dank and the effects are there as well, but the buds just aren’t enjoyable to smoke.

I check the trichs to make sure they’re mature, I flush for 10 days and I cure for months. It’s not a case of having bad luck by growing a low odor pheno, as I’ve grown 5 x AK48s, 1 x Skunk#1 and 2 x Amnesia Lemons.

After ending up with tasteless buds for the first time I concluded that the mistake was that I’ve waited till branches started to snap (6 days) before putting them in jars.

I had two more AK48 plants on my balcony. When I harvested them I made sure that I jar the buds before the stems start to snap. I followed a drying/curing tutorial on the net which involves a hygrometer to determine the curing zone. This batch smells a bit nicer but nowhere near how buds are supposed to smell. I think that time the mistake was that the buds dried too fast (due to high temps).

After the outdoor grow I started another indoor run with hopes that new genetics would bring me dank buds. Everything went well, less stress, less newbie mistakes, cooler temps due to winter time. When I harvested I cut the plants at the base, to slow down drying. It’s been curing for a week now but I’m already sure that it will end up the same as the previous harvests.

One thing I’ve noticed is that in both indoor runs, the buds did smell dank up to week 6 - 7 of flowering then the buds lost their stickiness and smell, and started to feel dry to the touch. That didn’t happen in my outdoor grow, as they stayed sticky and had a dank aroma up to harvest day. At the time I thought that it was normal and the cure would bring the smell back.

Although the final product of the outdoor isn’t dank either, I think that if I had been able to let it mature (chopped early due to mold) and dry properly, I would have retained the smell. However the indoor runs lost their smell already during flowering… I can’t figure out why I hope somebody here can help me out.

Some info on my grow:
Medium: Pre ferted soil, Plagron (a recommended brand here in Switzerland)
Pots: 3 Gallons
Nutrients: Plagron Bloom, Plagron Green Sensation, Molasses
Cabinet size: 6ft x 3ft x 2ft
Light: 250w HPS in Aircooled Hood
Temperature: 79F – 82F
Ventilation: 130 cfm exhaust, passive intake, pc fan for circulation

Add more sugars, liquid fish meal bat quano and organic 3 part system

the rrock

the rrock

EEggggggzaaacccklllllly , not busting someone's chops over the number of plants they're growing or the strains they're running etc.

It's not a game of ego accentuation , that's always a losing game sooner or later , there's always a bigger dog gonna show up.

And in the end *we're all in this together* , and I don't think many will argue that if we don't help each other and thereby help ourselves......does it look like any sort of " help" is forthcoming from other sources?

Sorry folks there t'ain't no " Holy Grail" , not about any of it , and any illusion of such is temporary at best , disappointing at worst , the Joy is in the Search and the associated Journey.
Ive been running a strain for over 20 years that I consider the "holy grail" I just dont advertise it.

Ogbudsman

Ogbudsman

I've never claimed I'm an expert. I'm just getting frustrated cuz i'm spending all my free time researching and giving my plants all I can offer and I can't get over this hump.

Also I just wasn't aware that chances are so slim as you say. I have followed several grow journals where guys buy feminized seeds from these breeders and apparently they are all satisfied with the final product.

All I know is the guys at my local grow shop that sell the Nirvana seeds all claim they get dank buds out of them and they call my grow a mystery case.

Yes you all give me good advice and I appreciate that. I already heard most of these tips here after my first failed attempt and applied changes to my outdoor, then the 2nd indoor... that's how I can rule some of the issues out.

Thanks for the tip TF! Waiting til the stems snap, I did in my first harvest. But maybe the buds just dried too fast cuz it was summer then.
I'm trying what you suggested with the buds I just harvested, they're currently 67% and I keep burping them.

The thing that irritates me is that a lot of growers say the buds should stink all throughout flowering. My buds start to smell at week 6 but then start to lose that odor.... Either something is wrong with my growing conditions and technique or its simply genetics.

BTW, can air quality have an influence? My grow cab is in my bedroom and unfortunately i cant hook up my exhaust or intake directly outside. I just keep the windows open.

Here some bud shots of my last grow, not yet manicured...
Hey brother I know this is old af but I’m having the exact same issue. Crop king seeds green crack were sticky and smelt great at around week 6/7 then bam 💥 smell lightens stickiness gone and texture of buds is weird. Second round with this strain and I’m not happy. Did you find out what was up? 2 girls I left to see if it fixes before harvest and other 2 are in jars curin. Pray they get better

farmboy

farmboy

To the people that complain about replying to old thread, people search for same problem on google and get this result so its not only about solving and helping creator of thread, people read this and its okay to add even if its 20 year old post.

Now, i have exact same problem, sometimes plant begin to smell then they fade totally and they do not smell at all. And i have grown many different strains, white widow X big bud, big bang, dinafems white widow and moby dick, bloody skunk, cream caramel, gorilla glue, six shooter, westcoast og,
Glueberry O.G., jack herer, sour stomper, double grape, northem cheese haze, auto mazar, plus many, and from photoperiods i had grown blue cheese from barney, mataro blue, and ananas funk. None of them really stank, except from fastbuds westcoast OG,that thing stank well, but its smell were unusual for cannabis, nice but too unique. I got some faint smell from bloody skunk, moby dick and double grape, but faint, like low quality cannabis. And when my buds are smoked, they dont give off cannabis smell, they are like someone is burning hay or leaves. I can pull 170 g from auto, really nice looking plant, frosty and top shelf looking just without smell. As author mentioned, i have same situation, if it smells during growth i can get smell out of it after cure, so its not drying issue.
I had tried almost everything, i had grown with different lights, first run were cfl, then some china leds, and most of grows later on with vero 29 cobs. I tried to adjust the light height even up to 100 cm and so on. I had noticed that sometimes buds in shadow smell more. Only thing i did not do is vent air directly outside and plants are in apartment, they share air with people, but its never low quality or moist. I did lst, topping, stem splitting you name it.

Once i had been surprised by smell tho in uniqe situation. I harvested plant, left main stalk in pot and some small buds on it. They grew bigger after that and they really stank, i guess this were from extreme stress.

I advise to get some really frosty strain, more frost more terpenes i guess, i prefer something from mephisto, double grape, white crack, sour livers, chemdogging, if you do auto,i did get some smell out of it, better than no smell at all. I also recommend to grow organic. Also check trichomes with scope, to make sure its finished, you want some amber there and there on pystils. In near future i will replace veros for some quantum boards with some uva leds. I will also measure bud temperature with ir thermometer as i heard they should not be hotter than environment within 1 C margin and possible also PAR levels. Try to be precise about environment, i think if you get all this things really in check and still no results, then the only thing left is there must be some dark forces at play. Im surprised tho too, majority get them to stank without effort, this is a mystery to me. One difference i do have is not quality power supply, there is perhaps fast ripple on leds, but i dont think that counts, i will change that to as i am running out of options.

Boscoe

Boscoe

people search for same problem on google and get this result so its not only about solving and helping creator of thread, people read this and its okay to add even if its 20 year old post.
I resemble that remark! lol I've had the same problem. No smell or flavor. The only suggestions in this thread that seem to match up with my situation are:
A little too warm in the tent (85-90)
EXTREMELY low RH (like... 15%)
Fan blowing directly on the buds (tiny tent is 2x2.5x7' and fan does not oscillate)

So on my next run I'm going to try and address the temps, RH and put the fan at the bottom of the tent but not aimed up at the canopy just so there is some air movement and add some sort of Sulphur in flower.

It's just so weird to grow buds that LOOK good but have no quality to them.

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

Random question, are you using any form of a compost tea? I’ve been told that a good compost tea can help bring out aroma and flavor and do other good stuff that it’s made to do.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah this is a pretty old thread but the basics stay the same. High temps burn off terps and cannabanoids.
+1 on that one,,
never a problem with any strain for me, matter of fact my gg in flower just past 3 weeks i can smell them when i walk into the house..

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

+1 on that one,,
never a problem with any strain for me, matter of fact my gg in flower just past 3 weeks i can smell them when i walk into the house..

Of course you likely have proper ventilation and exhaust or cooling. The op here (in 2012) had said he was at up to 82 degrees. Under even a 250 watt hps that is way too hot imo.

Boscoe

Boscoe

Random question, are you using any form of a compost tea? I’ve been told that a good compost tea can help bring out aroma and flavor and do other good stuff that it’s made to do.
No I haven't. My first run was using Doc Bud's High Brix kit and my second run was Vermifire super-soil supplimented with DYnagro in flower. IN both cases I got identical results: great looking buds with no smell or flavor. And I grew two different strains in each grow, so 2 different mediums and 4 different strains resulted in the same flavorless herb. SO I'm assuming the problem is my environment, as the plants NEVER had any smell at all at any point (meaning I didn't screw it up during the cure).

But thanks for the advise, at some point I'd like to try a full organic system! 😁

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

No I haven't. My first run was using Doc Bud's High Brix kit and my second run was Vermifire super-soil supplimented with DYnagro in flower. IN both cases I got identical results: great looking buds with no smell or flavor. And I grew two different strains in each grow, so 2 different mediums and 4 different strains resulted in the same flavorless herb. SO I'm assuming the problem is my environment, as the plants NEVER had any smell at all at any point (meaning I didn't screw it up during the cure).

But thanks for the advise, at some point I'd like to try a full organic system! 😁
Well the safe assumption might be the right one could be environment base.

Whiskydrunk420

Whiskydrunk420

Hello fellow farmers,

I’m getting desperate. I had 2 indoor runs and one outdoor grow so far and I keep ending up with tasteless buds! I’ve been getting decent yields, the buds do look dank and the effects are there as well, but the buds just aren’t enjoyable to smoke.

I check the trichs to make sure they’re mature, I flush for 10 days and I cure for months. It’s not a case of having bad luck by growing a low odor pheno, as I’ve grown 5 x AK48s, 1 x Skunk#1 and 2 x Amnesia Lemons.

After ending up with tasteless buds for the first time I concluded that the mistake was that I’ve waited till branches started to snap (6 days) before putting them in jars.

I had two more AK48 plants on my balcony. When I harvested them I made sure that I jar the buds before the stems start to snap. I followed a drying/curing tutorial on the net which involves a hygrometer to determine the curing zone. This batch smells a bit nicer but nowhere near how buds are supposed to smell. I think that time the mistake was that the buds dried too fast (due to high temps).

After the outdoor grow I started another indoor run with hopes that new genetics would bring me dank buds. Everything went well, less stress, less newbie mistakes, cooler temps due to winter time. When I harvested I cut the plants at the base, to slow down drying. It’s been curing for a week now but I’m already sure that it will end up the same as the previous harvests.

One thing I’ve noticed is that in both indoor runs, the buds did smell dank up to week 6 - 7 of flowering then the buds lost their stickiness and smell, and started to feel dry to the touch. That didn’t happen in my outdoor grow, as they stayed sticky and had a dank aroma up to harvest day. At the time I thought that it was normal and the cure would bring the smell back.

Although the final product of the outdoor isn’t dank either, I think that if I had been able to let it mature (chopped early due to mold) and dry properly, I would have retained the smell. However the indoor runs lost their smell already during flowering… I can’t figure out why I hope somebody here can help me out.

Some info on my grow:
Try dungeon vault genetics you will never have this problem again. DVG will fill your room with amazing smells and trichomes as far as the eye can see

IMG 20210116 214939
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Hello fellow farmers,

Some info on my grow:
I skimmed the first page but missing some vital info. Are you hang drying the whole plants before cure? If so, how long and what is the temperature and humidity in the room during that initial drying?

Moshmen

Moshmen

95% genetics. I've grown buds in the worst possible environment that was better than most I've grown in perfect environment.
When my tent hits 90 degrees ( which doesn’t happen very often!) trichs degrade quickly, all my smoke seems to smell and taste the same- I’ve been educated that heat will degrade not only thc but terpenes will burn off as well leaving no taste and no smell

growsince79

growsince79

When my tent hits 90 degrees ( which doesn’t happen very often!) trichs degrade quickly, all my smoke seems to smell and taste the same- I’ve been educated that heat will degrade not only thc but terpenes will burn off as well leaving no taste and no smell
Heat won't hurt thc until over 300f.

Top Bottom