i stand corrected, 24 hr veg rules!!

• Thread starter OGKuShSAL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Do what you "suspect or feel" is best for you.
However the science speaks clearly that MJ needs no rest! I've personally been growing for nearly 40 years!
My indoor room is 8ft wide, 8ft high and 24 ft long.
My outdoor grow space is 40ft x 60ft, so I do both indoor & outdoor. I clone, grow from seed, etc..
I've done 18/6, 24hr, etc..
During veg the results are fantastic with 24hr veg lights.
Now I do 12hr LED full spectrum at night and natural sunlight all day.
I just put 12 plants outdoors April 15th and they are 4+ feet tall already. Results are results..
I never said it needed rest, I only said it works best for me, and from my observations I believe clones root better with dark but that's just been my observation

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Do what you "suspect or feel" is best for you.
However the science speaks clearly that MJ needs no rest! I've personally been growing for nearly 40 years!
My indoor room is 8ft wide, 8ft high and 24 ft long.
My outdoor grow space is 40ft x 60ft, so I do both indoor & outdoor. I clone, grow from seed, etc..
I've done 18/6, 24hr, etc..
During veg the results are fantastic with 24hr veg lights.
Now I do 12hr LED full spectrum at night and natural sunlight all day.
I just put 12 plants outdoors April 15th and they are 4+ feet tall already. Results are results..
Care to explain the science? It's not that simple. I will explain after you do.

There are reasons you may see no I'll effects but there are also reasons you will see negative effects.

N

Nevesone

Care to explain the science? It's not that simple. I will explain after you do.

There are reasons you may see no I'll effects but there are also reasons you will see negative effects.
Screenshot 20190608 103413 Chrome

N

Nevesone

I realize there is much debate on this subject..
Some say it affects yields and health of the plant going 24hr light cycles. I've been doing it for two decades with excellent results. Especially from seedling to 60 days, then switch to 18/6 for 30 days then 12/12 to flower. I have not however noticed any yield decrease, if anything a bigger yield as the plants get bigger faster.
So, the science says you can most definitely apply 24hr light with no ill affects (which I've done without any issues whatsoever!)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Maximum Yield is hardly scientific proof but ok.

So yes 24 hr lighting will work and may be beneficial in circumstances where lighting is not maximized. By this i mean the plants after a certain point reach light saturation and start to change processes from photosynthesis to photorespiration. The rate at which growth drops off at this point makes it less desirable to continue providing light for several reasons.

1. Cost... why continue paying for light that is giving you minimal results and the other equipment such a s AC etc.
2. I would say the bigger factor is that during lights out the plants perform different processes and in doing so feed the microbes in the soil such as bacteria and fungi that help break down nutrients and produce enzymes beneficial for the plants and help provide defenses against pathogens that may attack the root system.

So yes it can be done and yes if your lighting is lower and not reaching the point where photorespiration occurs you will see more growth. If you are reaching light saturation the extra growth will be almost negligible. But at the cost of reduced symbiotic relationships of microbes in the soil that play a major role in plant health.

I think its up to the grower personally and there is no right or wrong but there are reasons for a dark period it may not be necessary but it does have an impact. I prefer to have my dark period other may not.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I should add usually clones and seedlings are in soils/rapid rooters etc. that do not have these beneficial microbes yet and are under low light conditions so 24hr light is not an issue and is very common.

Make sense?

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Here's an interesting article from Maximum Yield. I read about this last summer and decided to give it a shot on my indoor grows. So far, I'm very happy with this light schedule. My power bill has gone down 40% during vegging periods and I have recorded faster growth on my plants using this method.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Here's an interesting article from Maximum Yield. I read about this last summer and decided to give it a shot on my indoor grows. So far, I'm very happy with this light schedule. My power bill has gone down 40% during vegging periods and I have recorded faster growth on my plants using this method.
Yup this has to do with light saturation and eliminating it keeping the plants in the most productive time periods of each process. It again would depend on the lighting used etc etc etc. as to the amount of benefit gained. Also increased levels of Co2 also help reduce this effect. Essentially extending the period of photosynthesis and increasing the rate of photosynthesis , again dependent on light as to the amount of benefit.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Yup this has to do with light saturation and eliminating it keeping the plants in the most productive time periods of each process. It again would depend on the lighting used etc etc etc. as to the amount of benefit gained. Also increased levels of Co2 also help reduce this effect. Essentially extending the period of photosynthesis and increasing the rate of photosynthesis , again dependent on light as to the amount of benefit.

Yes, I've noticed I can keep my lights a little bit closer, and turned up a little bit higher using this schedule, and still I save money on electricity. And when supplemented with co2, the plants grow at an exponential rate.

N

Nevesone

Maximum Yield is hardly scientific proof but ok.

So yes 24 hr lighting will work and may be beneficial in circumstances where lighting is not maximized. By this i mean the plants after a certain point reach light saturation and start to change processes from photosynthesis to photorespiration. The rate at which growth drops off at this point makes it less desirable to continue providing light for several reasons.

1. Cost... why continue paying for light that is giving you minimal results and the other equipment such a s AC etc.
2. I would say the bigger factor is that during lights out the plants perform different processes and in doing so feed the microbes in the soil such as bacteria and fungi that help break down nutrients and produce enzymes beneficial for the plants and help provide defenses against pathogens that may attack the root system.

So yes it can be done and yes if your lighting is lower and not reaching the point where photorespiration occurs you will see more growth. If you are reaching light saturation the extra growth will be almost negligible. But at the cost of reduced symbiotic relationships of microbes in the soil that play a major role in plant health.

I think its up to the grower personally and there is no right or wrong but there are reasons for a dark period it may not be necessary but it does have an impact. I prefer to have my dark period other may not.
Where did I write "maximum yields"??
I'm not telling you in no way to one thing or another. That's a personal choice based on your own experiences & research.
All that I am saying here is:
B. 24hr light cycle speeds up vegetative state. Simple.

B. I and many professional growers use this technique to speed up the growth process and have no found to experience any ill effects.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm not telling you in no way to one thing or another. That's a personal choice based on your own experiences & research.

B. I and many professional growers use this technique to speed up the growth process and have no found to experience any ill effects.
Umm you posted the pic from maximum yields or am i seeing things? Not to mention that info was only in regards to seedlings/clones not full veg.

You said it was scientifically proven that MJ needs no rest. I'm telling you put it under 24/0 light for full veg with 1500+ ppfd and tell me you won't have issues. You can do this under certain other light schedules.

Why do you bother switch to 18/6 for 30 days? was there a problem you found doing your whole veg at 24/0? Sounds kinda odd that you would do this after your claims.

It speeds it up until you have problems and then it doesn't. I'm not saying you WILL have problems.

Did you read my post?

I said there is no wrong way but to blanket statement its scientifically proven 24/0 increases growth is just not accurate or the whole story. It will depend on your equipment and your setup whether its more beneficial or not.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I don't think you get what i'm saying. I am not saying you are wrong It will speed up growth but there are reasons why a dark period is beneficial and that when high light is involved the gains made from doing 24/0 over 18/6 in my opinion are not worth the benefits that the dark period provide.

TheDOG

TheDOG

I don't think you get what i'm saying. I am not saying you are wrong It will speed up growth but there are reasons why a dark period is beneficial and that when high light is involved the gains made from doing 24/0 over 18/6 in my opinion are not worth the benefits that the dark period provide.
Just offering something that has worked for me with great results. Iā€™ve done both 18/6 24/0 and then I tried 20/4 I saw better results when I tried this method. Iā€™ve seen plants do well in all of these conditions but sometimes I feel the genetic makeup of the plant is what determines how the light cycle effects itā€™s outcome with the lighting. Even in flowering I found 11/13 or 10/14 work well.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just offering something that has worked for me with great results. Iā€™ve done both 18/6 24/0 and then I tried 20/4 I saw better results when I tried this method. Iā€™ve seen plants do well in all of these conditions but sometimes I feel the genetic makeup of the plant is what determines how the light cycle effects itā€™s outcome with the lighting. Even in flowering I found 11/13 or 10/14 work well.
I can definitely see that. Also i think the stress tolerance of a plants plays a big role and that would be genetics also

N

Nevesone

I've not found this process to yield little results, quite the contrary. In my personal experience of doing this for the last 10+ years it's definitely speed up what I was trying to accomplish, which was NOT save money lol
Umm you posted the pic from maximum yields or am i seeing things? Not to mention that info was only in regards to seedlings/clones not full veg.

You said it was scientifically proven that MJ needs no rest. I'm telling you put it under 24/0 light for full veg with 1500+ ppfd and tell me you won't have issues. You can do this under certain other light schedules.

Why do you bother switch to 18/6 for 30 days? was there a problem you found doing your whole veg at 24/0? Sounds kinda odd that you would do this after your claims.

It speeds it up until you have problems and then it doesn't. I'm not saying you WILL have problems.

Did you read my post?

I said there is no wrong way but to blanket statement its scientifically proven 24/0 increases growth is just not accurate or the whole story. It will depend on your equipment and your setup whether its more beneficial or not.
I honestly think you just want to argue against 24hright. That's fine, do and think what ever gives you power and ego.
I posted a small tidbit of many articles that are pro 24hr. Veg.
If you wish to continue your argumentive stance, do it with someone less educated šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've not found this process to yield little results, quite the contrary. In my personal experience of doing this for the last 10+ years it's definitely speed up what I was trying to accomplish, which was NOT save money lol

I honestly think you just want to argue against 24hright. That's fine, do and think what ever gives you power and ego.
If you wish to continue your argumentive stance, do it with someone less educated šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£
I guess you are having trouble understanding my posts idk... I'm not trying to argue just stating there is more to it.

If your butt hurt that's on you

BudBogart

BudBogart

If you plan on putting plants outside once the weather turns, Grow 18/6 or youā€™ll never be able to back the light off enough to go outside without starting to flower.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I saw the source as well..

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
The only solid argument I have had from using 24/0 veg over they years is genetics. Older genetics sometimes like to start to flower when they get root bound or sit in veg for long periods of time. 24/0 has seemed to help with that some as in prolong it from happening but not eliminating it. Just gives me an extra month or 2 on my moms before I have to restart them. Not scientific just from my personal observations so take that as it is. Other then that I don't really see a huge benefit from running 24/0 vs 18/6. I've done them both and I would do them both. I personally like 20/4 or 18/6 now as it gives a solid time to spray in veg and I don;t really see a growth or yield difference either way (as in my 24/0 rooms weren't bigger plants and didn't yield more). So I see it as it has it use for certain situations.

Question @Aqua Man if you take the soil and microbes completely out of the picture in something like rockwool running sterile is that the main argument for 18/6 vs 24/0 besides the power/environment? Just curious cause the science side I haven't really bothered with I've just done it and watched the results. No idea honestly if it swings either way.

Edit: 1 other thing I will say is 18/6 veg plants seem to be more sensitive to strong lighting when moving rooms. Going from 315's to 1k's I sometimes have to turn my 1k's down for the first week in flower since i started back on 18/6. Never had to with 24/0. Only certain plants.

Latest posts

Top Bottom