i stand corrected, 24 hr veg rules!!

• Thread starter OGKuShSAL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pass2TheLeft

You veg under HPS and they still stay tight and compact? HPS usually stretches the plants out more, thats why they aren't really recommended for vegging. They have the wrong color spectrum for vegging plants. Plus, you are wasting a lot of energy & money by leaving HPS lights on 24hrs.
It really depends what size of plant you grow for example i grow large indoor plants so the stretch in veg is a good thing to form the shape if its to compact then light wont penertrate and only the tops go well

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The sun doesn’t set set in the summer months near the north and South Pole but it’s not bright sunshine more like twilight as it circles the horizon. @Jimster when vegging under 24h light how much light intensity are the plants receiving and is there co2 supplementation? What I’ve seen in many different veg rooms of various sizes and designs is when vegging under cmh or 1k HPS or mh @35+ w/sqft and getting co2 supp (6-800ppm)the plants leaves will begin to droop at around 14 hours of intense light. When the leaves droop it’s an indication that the stomata are closing and not assimilating co2 at a sufficient rate to justify blasting them with more light, wasting power. Continuing to do that for prolonged periods will cause a jam up of unprocessed sugars causing purple stems and massively slowed foliage and root growth. After 7-10 days in those conditions plants will start to look like shit. I’ve hD good results vegging in flip flop rooms getting 12 hours of intense light and 12 hours of low light overhead fluorescent lights ;as good as 18 hours intense light 6dark. But they have that 12 hours of downtime to slow down and process the sugars they’ve made. They droop during that period even tho they’re still getting light. Different strains can handle more or less before showing stress but they all grow faster w a rest in demanding conditions. Vegging under t-5s no additional co2 they can handle 24h no problem it’s only when pushed hard they show issues from my experience

I'm sorry if I confused anyone, but I agree that some rest is best. Even in extreme north or south, the 24 hour sun is only for a month or two at most, then it very quickly shortens again. Plants need dark to normally flower. The light inhibits the flowering process, so as long as the light is on for a certain time, even if it isn't bright, it won't flower. Each strain is different, with Indicas maturing faster to accommodate the shorter season. Sativa typically doesn't need to finish as quickly and come from more central zones. The auto seeding varieties are crossed with Rud. plants, which are native to northern climates and need to grow from start to finish in 3 months or less regardless of photoperiod. Since sativas often deal with relatively uniform day/night hours...at the equator it's 12 hours sun, 12 hours dark all year, the plants are sometimes slow to switch over to flowering and I've had to hit them with a few days of 9 hours light to get them to switch over, then back to 12 to finish Maybe this is why a lot of Sativa grows don't turn out well outdoors. Locally, the outdoor photoperiod is about 12/12 and we could get a frost at any time...outdoor sativas would just be starting to flower. Sorry for the rant!

N

Nthngmn2

View attachment 833782 24 hr light works well it's a matter of getting thing right been pissing around with this for many years I grow for the love of it more than anything,hell I hardly even smoke much anymore ,little pic of some shit I got rolling right now I use no ph or nute devices just hit 5 weeks nothing great ,trying some new strains
Yep me too ! Love the grow ,smoke to sample and try to out do the last grow. Always learning a bit more. Simple ..less is more.

Reactions: NGA
N

Nthngmn2

I'm sorry if I confused anyone, but I agree that some rest is best. Even in extreme north or south, the 24 hour sun is only for a month or two at most, then it very quickly shortens again. Plants need dark to normally flower. The light inhibits the flowering process, so as long as the light is on for a certain time, even if it isn't bright, it won't flower. Each strain is different, with Indicas maturing faster to accommodate the shorter season. Sativa typically doesn't need to finish as quickly and come from more central zones. The auto seeding varieties are crossed with Rud. plants, which are native to northern climates and need to grow from start to finish in 3 months or less regardless of photoperiod. Since sativas often deal with relatively uniform day/night hours...at the equator it's 12 hours sun, 12 hours dark all year, the plants are sometimes slow to switch over to flowering and I've had to hit them with a few days of 9 hours light to get them to switch over, then back to 12 to finish Maybe this is why a lot of Sativa grows don't turn out well outdoors. Locally, the outdoor photoperiod is about 12/12 and we could get a frost at any time...outdoor sativas would just be starting to flower. Sorry for the rant!
Thanks for your time and for sharing your knowledge. my comment was to the the rest of worlds light cycle not my lack of getting my head around 7th grade earth sciences and our solar system. And a small portion of the map that's not growing in these far removed locations anyway . Your killing me smalls ! Sake of discussion. but you made your point ! I like shinny things , you more smarter !! Be well ! Peace out

London bud

London bud

Ive turnt my lights off at night and by the time i turnt them on in the morning I had to raise the lights because the plant has grown into them so plants obviously grow in the dark

N

Nevesone

I have inside and outside grows going at the same time, have for years! I have used 24hr veg. light cycles for years with excellent results!

a dark cycle is key for any plant growth. almost every plant does 75-90% of the breathing while its dark. that means while lights are off your plants are taking in more co2 than any other time. this is why running your veg for 24 hours can actually wear your plants out and end up stressing them more in the long run. there are very few places on earth where there is 24 hours light, but that only lasts a couple days or so. i don't think 24 hours on is good idea at all. i find 18 on is plenty.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

The results aren't that much better than a 18/6 veg cycle. Plants love a rest period allows them to cool down. 24 is great for clones.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I think the 24 hour issue is more relevant if you are using indoor grows where height is an issue. Plants grown under 24/0 are much more compact than plants with some darkness included, as they do a lot of their physical growth/stretching during the dark periods. Less dark=more compact. I usually allow my plants to reach 6ft or more, while most indoors operations are maybe 3 ft max. The point is that different strains and types of grows react differently to the 24/0 light cycle, and what works for some won't work for others.

B

Burned Haze

17hr on /7hr off = best veg ( works just as good as 18/6 but save a hour)

Same as in flower 11 on / 13 off ( instead of 12/12) thats 2+ days every month you get free in power by doing. It that way

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Been vegging for 24 hours for over 40 years. Im sold it grows them faster.

We veg/flower under both 1000w Hortilux/Gavita, and from 5-30 gallon containers of Promix BX. We bend, and train out plants, and want them growing as fast as possible before flip. We do like strains that stretch a lot after flip to take advantage of less veg time. Like an F2 Mr Nice SSH weve had for 6 years will stretch 4-5 times, and produce 18-24oz per plant/20 gallons soil, and 60 days veg. It wont grow as fast under 18 hours of light. 6 hours less per day, for 60 days is 360 hours is 15 days. Half a month.
We just got 18, out of 26 Females of Dominion Skunk. 24 hours/1000w Hortilux.

The sun is many times more potent than the light, so for me, it is not a waste of energy, if I still cant compete with the sun.
The Sun, is 100w+ sq/ft. Bright day, at the Equator, more like 130w Sq/ft. High altitude??? Equador had the highest UVA/UVB rating ever detected. It was as high as MARS!!!. UV Index was 26. You know the UV Index they put in the paper that goes to 10?? This Registered to 26.
1000w Hortilux in 4 x 4 is 62.5w Sq/ft
We also run 2 Sola Cure, Flower Power Bulbs per 4 x 4 area, and 1000w HID. In Veg/Flowering, UVA/UVB is used 6-8 hours per day at 18-40 inches. With Gavitas, you have to have them farther away, so you run 4 per 4 x 4 at 40 inches vs 2 in a 4 x 4 at 18-24 inches.

Every 3 days we turn the lights out 1 hour, to let the Ignitor cool off. Been turning the lights out like this for over 40 years.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Lights off: Cannabis roots feed Cannabis microbes Cannabis diet throughout Cannabis veg.

Lights on: "let's just buy some bottled microbes and bottled carbs for bloom and wonder why our plants are generic disease prone and not skunky"

J

JohnnyUtah

I do 24 hour under T-5 and the results are awesome. My plants are never stressed and it helps heat the room in Winter. Since it's T-5 lighting it does not cost much at all for the extra electricity. I grow in soil and use water from my well. I ph to around 6.5 and only use alfalfa tea for nutrients.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

The last thing I want to do is speed up my veg!! I have no room as it is in bloom, so I use 16 hours of light in veg (and bloom gets 11), not saying this's the right or best way, I only do this because it best fits my purpose. Also I suspect clones root better with a dark period, and I keep the tray of cuttings in the veg tent

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Lights off: Cannabis roots feed Cannabis microbes Cannabis diet throughout Cannabis veg.

Lights on: "let's just buy some bottled microbes and bottled carbs for bloom and wonder why our plants are generic disease prone and not skunky"
This is true

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I do 24 hour under T-5 and the results are awesome. My plants are never stressed and it helps heat the room in Winter. Since it's T-5 lighting it does not cost much at all for the extra electricity. I grow in soil and use water from my well. I ph to around 6.5 and only use alfalfa tea for nutrients.
T5' are far less efficient as LED

N

Nevesone

The last thing I want to do is speed up my veg!! I have no room as it is in bloom, so I use 16 hours of light in veg (and bloom gets 11), not saying this's the right or best way, I only do this because it best fits my purpose. Also I suspect clones root better with a dark period, and I keep the tray of cuttings in the veg tent
Do what you "suspect or feel" is best for you.
However the science speaks clearly that MJ needs no rest! I've personally been growing for nearly 40 years!
My indoor room is 8ft wide, 8ft high and 24 ft long.
My outdoor grow space is 40ft x 60ft, so I do both indoor & outdoor. I clone, grow from seed, etc..
I've done 18/6, 24hr, etc..
During veg the results are fantastic with 24hr veg lights.
Now I do 12hr LED full spectrum at night and natural sunlight all day.
I just put 12 plants outdoors April 15th and they are 4+ feet tall already. Results are results..

Top Bottom