i stand corrected, 24 hr veg rules!!

• Thread starter OGKuShSAL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
forknowledge

forknowledge

What exactly is this 24hr veg about is it simply giving your rooted clone 24hrs of light before its placed in flower or does it apply to something else?

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
I dont like to veg seedling under 24h light on. I've tried it and i hated it! And i love to see the plant pointing straght toward the lights when they turn on. I feel plant need some dark cycle like everything. And i did't noticed a faster grow rate vegging 24h anyway, even the plant looked a bit lame.

Mud Man

Mud Man

YO yO yO TCM!! 18 hours is the best way, but i have to do twentyFo on because of cold ass temps and sheet.. (Get yaself dialed in Mud Looool)

OGkushaL!! SNAP that shit!! looool! My homie and we argue 18's vs 24's! this shit killed me!

i too stand corrected 24hrs rules! PreFLowers baby!

HollA
K+++++++

Mud Man

Mud Man

What exactly is this 24hr veg about is it simply giving your rooted clone 24hrs of light before its placed in flower or does it apply to something else?

sup mainge...:time

24 hour T5 baby VEG/Mother room,, Most prefer 18 hour!

The debate rages on,, some say 18s increase fem sex ratios and all of this kinda shizzle!:character0050: Old skool botany, but when is nature 24? this is the thing:rock

Keeping your lights on for 24 hours is crazy with HID's so 18hrs rocks if you have a HId in ya mother and veg room!
T5's and other powerful CFL's rock and can be left on for 24 hours no problem>? :cool0010:

M

mrdizzle

try running your light 18hrs, but leave a standard light bulb on during the 6hrs for lamps is off, I have noticed a major increase in growth

F

foolsgold

a dark cycle is key for any plant growth. almost every plant does 75-90% of the breathing while its dark. that means while lights are off your plants are taking in more co2 than any other time. this is why running your veg for 24 hours can actually wear your plants out and end up stressing them more in the long run. there are very few places on earth where there is 24 hours light, but that only lasts a couple days or so. i don't think 24 hours on is good idea at all. i find 18 on is plenty.

Globel

Globel

I turn my 1000 watt MH mother light off for 6 hours at night but all the other lights i.e. the veg tray lights and clone lights.. remain on.

R

radical farmer

I usually roll with 18-20 hours on, depending. I never do 24hrs just because I've noticed taht plants tend to stress a lot with 24hrs, probably because like everyone said, the plants need/should have a little break. I think that you growth rate will explode if you have some dark period for them. Plus, you save a little extra $$ when the lights are off.

N

negative 1

i respectfully disagree on this issue. 24 hours of light has never done me wrong, on this run i run <as always> 24 hour lighting with HPS and 17 of 24 plants are female.....this is up a tad fom the usual but i can count on around 50 - 50 male to female ratio.... i don't know that they veg faster or anyhting but it seems to me that the plants stay tighter and more compact.

R

radical farmer

You veg under HPS and they still stay tight and compact? HPS usually stretches the plants out more, thats why they aren't really recommended for vegging. They have the wrong color spectrum for vegging plants. Plus, you are wasting a lot of energy & money by leaving HPS lights on 24hrs.

L

Lost

a dark cycle is key for any plant growth. almost every plant does 75-90% of the breathing while its dark. that means while lights are off your plants are taking in more co2 than any other time. this is why running your veg for 24 hours can actually wear your plants out and end up stressing them more in the long run. there are very few places on earth where there is 24 hours light, but that only lasts a couple days or so. i don't think 24 hours on is good idea at all. i find 18 on is plenty.

So why do we turn the CO2 off when the lights go out?

I gotta say guys, I have been vegging under HPS 24/7 for a long time and get results to die for.

Here is the thing. When the plant is in veg, its not pushing very hard at all. After seeing how hard you can work the girls in flower, I don't see any way of stressing the girls in veg if you know what your doing.. They just are not working all that hard in veg.

mace

mace

plants breathe during photosynthesis, i cannot see how they would be building any cells walls while the lights are off. Now i could be wrong, but i don't think i am. I veg for 24 sometimes, and i veg for 18 sometimes. Depends on the situation. Never really saw a difference in the plants.
Side note, there is supposed to be some 16 on, 4 off, 16 on 4 off, cycle that is supposed to be killer, but i've never tried it.

F

foolsgold

just something i learned in a botany class. no need to be rude about it. do some reaserch and you will find that i'm not far off with those pecentages. the point is that the plants does most of it respiration at night. my brother also has his degree in turf and soil science. he swears that 24 hr veg cycle is not beneficial. it may not be harmful either, but it's not ideal.

M

Malachi

Don't know where you got your facts from but all photosynthesis activity happens during lights on, hense the "photo" in photosynthesis. This is also why we run out Co2 generators during the day because that is when the plant uses up the available Co2 and water and turns them into sugar in which cellular respiration converts into ATP, or the "fuel" plants use to grow. For the chemistry nuts out there this is what it looks like 6h2o + 6h20 = c6h12o6+6o2 or in lamens terms 6 molecules of water plus 6 molecules of carbon dioxide produce 1 molecule of sugar and 6 molecules of oxygen. So plants do not "breath" at night, this is when they simply break down stored chlorophyll in the plant.

not trying to be rude, just stating facts.

F

foolsgold

Plant cells respire as well, using oxygen and getting rid of carbon dioxide. Plants also use carbon dioxide when they make food from the sun’s energy and this makes oxygen – this is called photosynthesis. During the day, the plant cells photosynthesise more than they respire, so they get rid of more oxygen than carbon dioxide.

During the night, the plant cells respire more than they photosynthesise, so they get rid of more carbon dioxide than oxygen. so a dark period is beneficial to plants. allowing the plant to grow as close to the way mother nature intended will give you the best resluts.

btw i get my info from a professor in horticulter, and a brother with a bachelor degree in turf and soil science from michigan state. where do you get your info from?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Ultimately I think it boils down to this, two people can use the same methods and come up with differing results!! If 24hr veg works for you, awesome! If not use the 18/6 or 17/7 standards or 20/4 for cuts, whatever is clever but this bullshit about one being better than the other, is hard to decide when theyre are many other factors and simply stating your veg hrs isn't a true comparison by any scientific standards. True some strains wilt and look sorry after 24hrs of veg but they seem to perk back up with no darkness...hmmm
And vice versa sometimes a plant does seem to grow more with the 18/6 regiment as it typically jumps or grows during night cycle as well.

P.s. the plant has light rxns that occur during light hours and dark cycle reactions as well, i'm sure you all remember the calvin cycle and krebs cycle and all that other awesome carbon fixation and the real miracle of sunlight...lol

later

baba

Latest posts

Top Bottom