i stand corrected, 24 hr veg rules!!

• Thread starter OGKuShSAL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nog

24/7

i have never noticed any adverse effects when vedging 24/7, i agree that in nature there is usually a dark period, but in nature plants do not grow in a nutrient solution full of chemicals, and the plants are subject to many more variables than one gets in a growroom. 24/7 is fine with cfl's, you would need to watch temps with hid though.

R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
Bottom line is plants grow when the lights are on....24hrs is best. You might be paying more, but your vegging time is shorter, so they cancel each other out.

C

cooperji

I think a side by side test might be in order. Never know how fat a girl is until you put her on a scale ..

R

radical farmer

Bottom line is plants grow when the lights are on....24hrs is best. You might be paying more, but your vegging time is shorter, so they cancel each other out.

I actually haven't even noticed a shorter vegging time using 24/7, surprisingly. To say that 24hrs is "best" is very subjective. Basically the only reason to give them anything less than 24/hrs is to not stress them as much and to save on energy. Just as long as it's more than 16hrs of light a day, they will grow just fine.. Whose really to say what is best?

S

SkyHi

My plants definately grow during the dark period, alot of the energy produced during photosythesis is stored and used at other times like at night during respiration....

K

KaliTransplant

My plants definately grow during the dark period, alot of the energy produced during photosythesis is stored and used at other times like at night during respiration....

Never noticed my plants growing at night. How much do your plants grow in one night ?

N

nog

plants do "breath" at night, they give off co2, but does it matter if they dont? i thought the idea was to get the plants to take in co2 to convert this by the aid of the light and other stuff, water and nutes into carbohydrates and other plant material????
also i have heard that cfl's which are what i use for vege do not like being switched on and off, and that you get longer from the bulb if you leave it on??

J

John Smith Esq.

75%-90% of breathing when the lights are out, nothing like throwing out some random fake % for the fun of it

well actually did you know that 78.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

btw, good debate fellas, i saw a post earlier on saying 18 or 24hr veg helps to show preflowers - anyone else found this to be the case??

K

khaoticOrder

My veg and clones have been getting 24 hours of lighting with many T5's and a 400 MH for several years and have always had plenty of growth. For mere entertainment of this discussion topic I will try 6 hours of dark for a month and report back any noticable changes.

As far as senior farmer "foolsgold" is concerned in the use of CO2 by plants during dark hours, I am humbly saying any entry level college botany course will declare purely that plats only actively use CO2 during hours of photosynthesis (when the lights are on).
But as far as undue stress induced by the lack of down time, this matter is still debatable and largely up to good observation by the farmer themselves and their own growing techniques.

Z

zoeronerer

they store the sugars to be used during the dark period to grow. thats why they release the o2 when they convert the sugars

they shift their duty from day to night on a cellular level and most of the stretch and actual growth of the plant happens at night.. all plants not just pot

some plants you will see no adverse effects .(so you think)

others will mutate (single leaf blade low yeild etc)

i have been told if you veg 24 for a seedling the plant stays a juvenile and it will not yeild as well.because of the wrong chemical signals to make hormones.

all living things need to sleep ......basic biology .

lost that pic needs more baby oil...

20/4 or 18/6 for the win

24/7 for clones .....until rooted

S

SmokeMan

just something i learned in a botany class. no need to be rude about it. do some reaserch and you will find that i'm not far off with those pecentages. the point is that the plants does most of it respiration at night. my brother also has his degree in turf and soil science. he swears that 24 hr veg cycle is not beneficial. it may not be harmful either, but it's not ideal.

This is a true statement , Most plants need nightime to do what they do to keep growing. But for some reason MJ will florish in 24 hour light in vegative state.

I grow in 24 hour veg and have been doing so for the past 2 years. It seems that the plants never stop growing. I see better reults under 24 hours. I switch up lights in the process tho. For instance I start with t5's on the seedlings then I move up to 2x250 watt compact floros , then when I feel the need I hit them with the hps light for weeks until ready to flower. Vegging after week 1 in HPS or MH ensures strong plants imo.

To do 24 hour vegative state growing , Enviroment and type of lights is key.

SupraSPL

SupraSPL

It makes sense that equatorial sativas would be more likely to benefit from a short rest period than indica doms.

I read the big book of buds and I have to say there was a good amount of misinformation in there, especially relating to strain histories. I felt like I was reading someones internet forum growing guide (which I very much enjoy all of them). Fact is some of the things written are up for debate though.

Unfortunately a bunch of clones started to flower under 16/8. No bid deal they switched back but now I run 20/4 and that seems to work for every strain regardless.

I'm in no rush to get from seed or clone to flower ready. If you have separate veg area it's easy to match it up so you never have to rush. If you can't get something as big as you need in 8 weeks (hard to believe) then just make more of them?

From the small amount of botany I studied, plants consume CO2 and expel O2 during lights on but during lights out photosynthesis ceases, so it is good to shut down CO2 systems at night.

sedate

sedate

SupraSPL said:
I read the big book of buds and I have to say there was a good amount of misinformation in there, especially relating to strain histories. I felt like I was reading someones internet forum growing guide (which I very much enjoy all of them). Fact is some of the things written are up for debate though.

I couldn't agree more - the print marijuana bibles that have been out for sometime do read very much like a forum grow guide - full of nuggets and baubles of questionable value.

EVERYTHING in print is up for debate.

Supra said:
It makes sense that equatorial sativas would be more likely to benefit from a short rest period than indica doms.

I actually have issues growing sativa's under 24 hour light - but that's all back on page 3 I think.

SupraSPL said:
Unfortunately a bunch of clones started to flower under 16/8. No bid deal they switched back but now I run 20/4 and that seems to work for every strain regardless

Do you notice plants, once moved into flower, begin to develop pre-flower much faster and begin heavy bud formation within a few days, instead of 10 days or so going from 24 hour to 12 hour light?

SupraSPL said:
From the small amount of botany I studied, plants consume CO2 and expel O2 during lights on but during lights out photosynthesis ceases, so it is good to shut down CO2 systems at night.

This is correct.

Photosynthesis ceases when lights are cut.

co2 after dark is a waste of effort.

hubcap

hubcap

Ive done both. With great results with both.
but, its all personal choice.

nice to see this debate rage on.

but, ive done both methods over the years. and if power bills arent an issue, go for the 24/7. no, its not natural, but neither is growing pot inside a house under artificial lights.

honestly, unless you're growing in a hole in the yard under the big HID in the sky........, everything you're doing is unnatural.

but we still like the results, right?

i say...

rock whatever you feel comfortable with because no one, that ive seen, has offered photographical proof via photos and real time threads that 18 hrs of light garners more healthy plants of heavier yields (of same variety/same nuts scheds/etc etc) than a 24 vegetative light cycle.

unless, one would like to post a link fer me?

listen to the results in front of YOUR face in YOUR garden.....and let THAT be your guide.
the rest is mularkey.

-cap

F

foolsgold

I remember reading somewhere that a plants root system breathes oxygen at night and during the day it used Co2.

I may be wrong though.

half right. the root definatly take in oxygen, but never
co2

waayne

waayne

Hubcap,I couldn't agree more,everything about growing indoors is unnatural!Been running my Veg room lights constantly for over 25 years with no problems!

A

antimatter

I prefer 18 hour veg with hid and a cfl always on so if the light is off 6 hours during the day I can just walk in and theres a light always on, during cold snaps I run the hid 24 on to keep the temperatures up.

DRorganic

DRorganic

i use 24-0 and get mostly female plants and fast growth .i use to do 18-6 but had more males .so i decieded to just leave it on 24-0 and it works for me.

Top Bottom