If you grow with organics in soil do you use regular ph down?

• Thread starter the123321
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

so if I were to stop ph'ing my water and nutrient feeds how often should I be looking to check the run off? i'm using the same soil mix for all my plants - I'm guessing I don't have to test all of them? or will it vary if I'm growing different strains?
Once in a while... but really I wouldn't bother if I didn't see an issue.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

They aren't, however, an effective method of controlling pH, which is what the thread was about. Brewed teas, even aerated ones, can be acidic or alkaline- depending on what was used to make them and how much.
This caught my attention as a Herbalist. I hate Doctors. but yes, many plants and minerals when made into a tea actually will change pH an amazing amount depending on how they are mixed. This is important in herbalism because the body like acidic states. I can mix you a tea that will adjust your pH to any point I want. I never thought to apply that to growing. Shame on me. LOL

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Ive been using the same soil in my 4x8 living Soil bed in the basement for well over a year now with a consistent good flavor and yeild of different strains using that philosophy it works Biochar is the secret ingredient to longevity soil use
What does that do exactly? Looking to re amend my organic living soil. I’m om my first indoor grow and have been researching a lot but haven’t come across this yet.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We use an amendment with npk and microbes, enzymes, bacteria and some other trace goodies.
We never throw out soil. Every grow the plants eat about 1/2 gallon of soil that we have to replace.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

No, that wasn't me. We use Earth Dust. We've had grows with it and it's crazy easy. Organic so the soil is always reused.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I am considering adding just a touch of DaKine420's 'Sticky Icky', but I haven't finished looking at the numbers yet.
I don't like to add, but this is adding enzymes which I'm fine with. They can't hurt. If there's not enough food around, they become food so there is very little downside to it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What does that do exactly? Looking to re amend my organic living soil. I’m om my first indoor grow and have been researching a lot but haven’t come across this yet.
Organic soils build structure over time and that's probably the largest benefit to them. It's a waste to through out a good organic soil as it only improves.

Glassdub

Glassdub

Been using AgroThrive this grow, organic for the first time overnight the run off pH went acid & the PPMs when through the roof, stopped feeding except for ProTekt & recently a little Cal/Mag since I watering with mineral free AC run off water, just fed for the first time in 4-5 waterings (I usually water every 5 or so days), just finishing my second week of flowering, with their flower formula, run off pH is 5ish with very high PPMs but the plants look pretty fine so... 🤷‍♂️
I heard with organics PPMs are not so important, I just thought it was strange that it shifted from in range #'s overnight & didn't change a whole hell of a lot after all the straight waterings.

Day 98 top
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Been using AgroThrive this grow, organic for the first time overnight the run off pH went acid & the PPMs when through the roof, stopped feeding except for ProTekt & recently a little Cal/Mag since I watering with mineral free AC run off water, just fed for the first time in 4-5 waterings (I usually water every 5 or so days), just finishing my second week of flowering, with their flower formula, run off pH is 5ish with very high PPMs but the plants look pretty fine so... 🤷‍♂️
I heard with organics PPMs are not so important, I just thought it was strange that it shifted from in range #'s overnight & didn't change a whole hell of a lot after all the straight waterings.
So, what was different this time? Are you using the suggested feeding schedule?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

PPM's are not as important, but they are still great indicators to keep track of.
Lets have a pic of where they sit. Are they sitting in old runoff that gets re-saturated each time?

Glassdub

Glassdub

So, what was different this time? Are you using the suggested feeding schedule?
I only used Dyna-Gro prier, this is my 3rd grow, been using half a cup per gal as directed, but in the beginning every watering, which may have been a mistake but I cut off when the numbers spiked & the plants all looked pretty fine except for one that looked a little hungry & I subsequently fed apart from the rest.

Glassdub

Glassdub

PPM's are not as important, but they are still great indicators to keep track of.
Lets have a pic of where they sit. Are they sitting in old runoff that gets re-saturated each time?
I'm not sure what you mean, this is where they set, I water in my bath tub & drain off most all runoff before putting back in the tent.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

One of the great things about organics is not having to feed all the time. We only have 3 feedings the entire grow.
The only thing we have to provide is water and light. Of course, we keep an eye on numbers but once I got the lights figured out, we have'nt had any issues except some critters that sneaked in with Golum.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

No runoff with organics. You are flushing away all the stuff that makes it grow.
That's why you have to keep feeding.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

All the bacteria, enzymes and minerals you water to runoff are running off from your plant.
You want the soil completly wet without runoff. ALL the soil, not just a circle around the plant.

Top Bottom