If you have chemistry questions....

• Thread starter squiggly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pork

pork

what can i do to get my Mg or my K without those? If i drop the CalNit to make room for KNO3 I lose Calcium (which I could bring up, how?)...

squiggly

squiggly

if you're going to add them--you might try doing them together, like in Sul-Po-Mag.

pork

pork

was also thinking that maybe my well water is contributing enough sulfur to precipitate out with the Ca. Other folks don't seem to have these same issues I'm running into, could it be the water? How many ppm of Sulfur until it will precipitate out (i think i read somewhere on hydrobuddy's website ~400ppm, which is 2x what I'm doing...)

azmmjadvocates

azmmjadvocates

I'm discussing the effects of chemicals and the levels at which they're applied to plants. This is a chemistry questions related to growing thread. If it's not relevant here, perhaps you could tell me what is?!

A bit of what I've been wanting to see in a thread has much more to do with other topics other than chemistry and believe the topic is deserving of a thread of it's own. However I'm just getting back today from laying to rest my nephew and that is why I'm late responding to this. I'm still quite a bit shaken and not quite up for it as of yet. Talk soon

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Alrighty.... I would like to know:

Is one gram of K equal to 1ml of K?

Found some water soluble k and want to kmow before I buy it, that if I put a gram of it in water will it be the same as puting a ml of it in water?

the percentage is:

0-0-50 for the NPK

Thanks brother.

EVOKE

EVOKE

whats up Squiggly can u tell me what this means...The male is obtained from a determinated quantity of plants growth with a mitothic inhibitor that give us polysomic plants.

squiggly

squiggly

Alrighty.... I would like to know:

Is one gram of K equal to 1ml of K?

Found some water soluble k and want to kmow before I buy it, that if I put a gram of it in water will it be the same as puting a ml of it in water?

the percentage is:

0-0-50 for the NPK

Thanks brother.

A little background:

1. There is no such thing as liquid potassium unless it is extremely hot.

2. Solutions consist of BOTH solvent (water) AND the solutes (potassium).

Generally, in chemistry, we talk about concentration of solutes in a solvent. We tend to use the measure of molarity (abbreviated M) which is a measure of molecules of solute per liter of solvent or mol/L.

You may also find things in concentrations of mg/mL, g/L, g/mL, etc.

So the answer is no. One gram of K is never equal to one mL of K--and specifically speaking, you aren't adding "1 mL of K" you'd be adding 1mL of water, with some K dissolved into it.

What you need to know is HOW MUCH K is dissolved into the water, or what the concentration of the solution is. Then you can figure out an equivalent amount in grams. Without that information it is impossible to answer this.

squiggly

squiggly

whats up Squiggly can u tell me what this means...The male is obtained from a determinated quantity of plants growth with a mitothic inhibitor that give us polysomic plants.

Determinated quantity refers to a quantity that is finite and known. It's a fancy way of saying a known amount of plants were grown out.

Mitothic inhibitor--I believe this is a typo, and the word intended is mitotic inhibitor.

These inhibit mitosis, which is better known as cell division. Generally, they do this by affecting the function of microtubules which are responsible for grabbing hold of chromosomes (lined up in the center of the cell--2 copies of each present, ready for division) and pulling them into each of the daughter cells--so that telophase may begin.

The effect of such inhibitors would be two-fold. It would kill many of the plants--in fact we, as humans, know mitotic inhibitors by a different name--chemotherapy. Chemotherapy drugs typically inhibit mitosis in an attempt to starve cancer cells. Unfortunately, because it not a directed treatment (until some recent developments) it also causes cell division to stop in healthy cells--which causes all of the negative effects (hair loss is a perfect example, because the growth of hair involves rapidly dividing cells, mitotic inhibitors cause hair growth to cease--and the result is hair loss).

I digress.

Presumably, the experiment in question was intended to allow cell division to progress up until metaphase (such that extra copies of chromosomes would be produced) and then arresting cell division in that phase with mitotic inhibitors. The result would be a cell that contains extra copies of its chromosomes--i.e. a polysomic cell.

As for the hows and whys, I'd have to read the article to know.

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
Damn dude your the man! Ill be sure to return with a question when I need help....wait I just thought of one...Do you believe Stuffmonger aka John McAfee was making topical ointments or is he lying his ass off and making MDPV? Im fascinated by this story!

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Thank you sir. What I was getting at is:

Aqua Flakes breaks down to: 2-4-10

the solids break down on the bag of salt potash to: 0-0-50

So my question is... how much salt to water must I add in order to get the same as what is supposedly in aqua flakes?

Sorry brother... been a while since chem. Hope you can understand my wording.

nope notme

nope notme

I see your Q got skipped.

CaCl2 and Calcinit can be mixed together, they often are in Cal/Mag products (MagiCal for example) but neither of them can be mixed with MgSO4, the Ca and S will react and precipitate out of solution.

The MKP can be added to the Jacks Pro hydro directly, its the most abundant salt in Jacks Pro already, the MOST has such a high amount of S in it that id be cautious of mixing it in a concentrated amount with anything really besides the MgSO4, but see if squiggly has anything to add.

So I guess you could do:

Part A:
Jacks Pro Hydro
MKP

Part B:
CalciNit
CaCl2

Part C:
MgSO4
MOST

MOST is really unnecessary if you already have the Jacks Pro Hydro, although the micronutrient package in Jacks could use more Zn IMO, so buying a little Zinc sulfate or Zinc EDTA makes more sense if you want to use the Jacks. The CaCl2 is also very unnecessary, blooming cannabis loves lots of NO3, despite the popular belief that it doesn't. N demands will always be more than Ca demands. If the plant will ever want the Ca, it will want the NO3 that comes with it in CalciNit. Also Ca accumulates both in soil and hydroponic solutions more than any other nutrient, and too much Ca can really delay maturation (another very little known fact) so application rates for Ca should decrease over time.

P.S. You really don't want to be ADDING any chloride to your mix, unless you're using RO water and reagent grade salts i can almost guarantee your plant is already getting way more chloride than it wants without adding any. The only reason i can see to expose your plant to the additional chloride is if you want to use the CaCl2 as a foliar spray, since CaCl2 has the lowest point of deliquescent out of all Ca salts (at ~32% RH), giving it the greatest efficacy of all Ca salts when it comes to foliar applications. It also has some fungicidal effects.

Thank you so much for the in depth reply. as well as the other advice as far as most goes, that clears up another question I had about the most in the jacks back thread. I called Jr peters too and spoke to a gal there and was more confused about the most before I called. They told me about the same thing as another poster reported on jacks thread of 1 1/2 tsp per 25 gal. reseviour of full jacks and calnit. I stated that seemed like a lot and she asked what I was growing, I got pretty nervous and hung up. lol So are there plants that take that much micros?

nope notme

nope notme

I feel like i'm asking a genie for another wish by asking another question lol.. I recently ran out of my CaNo3 from JR peters, the blue stuff. I picked up some bulk CaNo3 that is 14.5 no3 and 1% Amonium Nitrogen the same as Jr peters but the Calcium is 19 instead of 18 in Jr peters. There seems to be a few impurities as well, so the grade doesn't seem to be as good as peters and it's not blue either. I assume peters adds a dye? it's water soluble and i've ran it for about a week with no problems noted yet but is the extra 1% CA going to be a problem?

dizzlekush

dizzlekush

I called Jr peters too and spoke to a gal there and was more confused about the most before I called. They told me about the same thing as another poster reported on jacks thread of 1 1/2 tsp per 25 gal. reseviour of full jacks and calnit. I stated that seemed like a lot and she asked what I was growing, I got pretty nervous and hung up. lol So are there plants that take that much micros?
lol about the nervous hangup. In all honesty i dont know much about the specific micronutrient needs of most crops aside from cannabis. I know for plants that are considered 'heavy feeders' (tomatoes, melons, squash, peppers etc) the Hoagland Solution usually provides adequate amounts of all micronutrients, which isnt very much.

Hoagland Solution:
N 210 ppm
P 31 ppm
K 235 ppm
Ca 200 ppm
Mg 48 ppm
S 64 ppm
Fe 1 to 5 ppm
B 0.5 ppm
Mn 0.5 ppm
Zn 0.05 ppm
Cu 0.02 ppm
Mo 0.01 ppm

After lots of study and observation, my own formulations are falling fairly close to Hoagland's. The differences are i use 40-70% as much N, K and Ca as Hoagland, ~10X the Zn, i add ~30ppm Si to the solution, and additional P (with phosphoric acid) during the 2nd half of bloom.

I feel like i'm asking a genie for another wish by asking another question lol.. I recently ran out of my CaNo3 from JR peters, the blue stuff. I picked up some bulk CaNo3 that is 14.5 no3 and 1% Amonium Nitrogen the same as Jr peters but the Calcium is 19 instead of 18 in Jr peters. There seems to be a few impurities as well, so the grade doesn't seem to be as good as peters and it's not blue either. I assume peters adds a dye? it's water soluble and i've ran it for about a week with no problems noted yet but is the extra 1% CA going to be a problem?
My calcium nitrate also has impurities, i picked it up from ebay being sold as Yara Liva's CalciNit. this being my first time with the supposed Yara Liva CalciNit, and i since it wasn't in its original packaging since i didn't buy 50lbs, i dont know if thats the average purity from Yara or if i was ripped off.

Dont worry about the extra 1% Calcium, it wont have significant effects on your formulations. The salt thats commonly called Calcium Nitrate in horticulture, floriculture etc. is almost always actually the hydrated double salt Calcium Ammonium Nitrate Decahydrate, which should resemble small white spherical pellets. Jacks (JR Peters) trademark for their products is their blue dye, which is why your first calcium nitrate was blue, its probably the only blue calcium nitrate being sold.
I assume peters adds a dye?
FYI the 'Peters' product lines are actually owned & made by Scotts, not JR Peters. They're Scotts version of JR Peters product lines which are called 'Jacks'. So the 'Peters' product line isn't made by JR Peters, its made by Scotts, JR Peters makes the 'Jacks' product line. It was originally one company called Jack Peters that got bought up by Scotts and eventually the 2 companies split, which is why they have nearly identical product lines and confusingly similar names.

ttystikk

ttystikk

For what it's worth, I bought a whole new unopened bag of Yara Liva Calcium Nitrate, and it didn't seem to have any impurities in it. No dye, either. It dissolves quickly and leaves nothing behind when it does. Maybe you got some that had been tampered with in some way...

squiggly

squiggly

There are always purity concerns when you're dealing with salts--but most of them are not going to give you issues with plant feeding--impurities of this type and scale are only usually problems in reactions--where small additions, even one molecule, can make a big difference.

squiggly

squiggly

Damn dude your the man! Ill be sure to return with a question when I need help....wait I just thought of one...Do you believe Stuffmonger aka John McAfee was making topical ointments or is he lying his ass off and making MDPV? Im fascinated by this story!

I think he's probably a murderer, and hopefully they catch him.

Oh, and his software blows flaccid dick.

dizzlekush

dizzlekush

Give me a couple days to get things compiled, I'll post the meat and potatoes of his "theories" i've compiled from here and different forums (fair use) for those who wish to pick them apart and hopefully cite links to scientific research that contradicts his theories.

I'll start one and post a link here, I'd like to hear what everyone has to say in a postmortem pissing match lol, and hopefully nobody will get banned, who knows maby Fatman will one day resurrect and comment back. Hell maby he should just pm someone responses? I know he has friends here, that would be cool, he wouldn't get banned that way.

I'll add my own schpiel on this later
Going to try to dig in to this for you sometime early next week.

Lookin forward to hearing back from both of you r.e. the subjects we were discussing earlier @squiggly @azmmjadvocates.

dizzlekush

dizzlekush

Squiggly, how many mg/L (or mM, whichever floats yer boat) of ascorbic acid would i have to add to my water to completely dechlorinate it for compost tea brewing if my water averages 0.6mg/L of chlorine?

I guess i'm looking for the minimum effective dosage here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom