I'm new to growing auto flowers

• Thread starter jester83
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
In the 80s/90 this was well debated and some
In the end someone did a scientific test on 24/7 vs 18/6 and you do get 15% more growth witch was backed up by jorge Cervantes
The test was done on photoperiods veg growth so how it translates to autos/flowering under 24/7 not so sure
I've followed a few forum debates about it. I'm also watching a lecture by Dr. Bugbee in which he claims the plants continue to increase in size as the light increases, even beyond the light intensity from the sun. I don't know how plant size (i.e., yield) relates to potency, however.

Anyway, I find the light intensity and duration discussion interesting. My initial impression was that plants in general would need a dark period because they evolved as we did on a planet with night. But now, after learning more about these plants, I'm thinking maybe that's not true for cannabis. Eventually, it becomes a return-on-investment issue. Will the cost of the next added watt of power provide better, the same or worse yield or potency? How do we decide whether to add or not to add that next watt? I'm not expecting answers. It's just interesting to me.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
In the 80s/90 this was well debated and some
In the end someone did a scientific test on 24/7 vs 18/6 and you do get 15% more growth witch was backed up by jorge Cervantes
The test was done on photoperiods veg growth so how it translates to autos/flowering under 24/7 not so sure
I don't trust Jorge Cervantes or any of those cali weed guys at all. Studies are pointless for the most part with weed because the genetics of cannabis vary so wildly. 2 different phenos of the same strain can react wildly differently to nutes, light, water, weather etc... that's my 2 cents anyway. ✌️

GregTheAlien

GregTheAlien

I don't trust Jorge Cervantes or any of those cali weed guys at all. Studies are pointless for the most part with weed because the genetics of cannabis vary so wildly. 2 different phenos of the same strain can react wildly differently to nutes, light, water, weather etc... that's my 2 cents anyway. ✌️
I'm beginning to come to this conclusion as well. Gotta do what works for you and your genetics.

J

jester83

Does it look like I need to do anything with it or should I just let the water dry out and then feed it again to see if it's a nute lock out or anything else or am I just being a new parent

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Studies are pointless for the most part with weed because the genetics of cannabis vary so wildly.
That depends on the studies and the accepted science. Sometimes science is wrong, but that isn't a reason to distrust science. How else would we know something was wrong? It can be helpful to know what doesn't work. If research results are unreliable, it means more research is needed.

Relatedly, we'll surely see research increase if the cannabis classification changes, and I expect it might become law this year. If so, there surely will be more research, especially as corporations get involved--and they will get involved.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Does it look like I need to do anything with it or should I just let the water dry out and then feed it again to see if it's a nute lock out or anything else or am I just being a new parent
Lockout would be my guess. If that's the case, then letting it dry would be the thing to do. Keep an eye on it.

It's okay to worry about the young ones.

PianoStan

PianoStan

I'm also doing my first grow. I also went with autoflower (Northern Lights) and deep water culture. I went with an 18/6 light scedule.

The best advice that i can give you is BE VERY CAREFUL with the amount of water you provide it when it's young. I nearly drowned my plant twice in the first 3 weeks. But now it drinks nearly 3L water per day.

Good luck

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
That depends on the studies and the accepted science. Sometimes science is wrong, but that isn't a reason to distrust science. How else would we know something was wrong? It can be helpful to know what doesn't work. If research results are unreliable, it means more research is needed.

Relatedly, we'll surely see research increase if the cannabis classification changes, and I expect it might become law this year. If so, there surely will be more research, especially as corporations get involved--and they will get involved.
The research on plants in general is in its infancy still as far as understanding. I didn't state I don't trust science as long as I see where the funding came from and your name isn't fauci. What I stated is testing in a lab is not a great way to study . Cannabis plants. Growing cannabis plants is a lot more feel than measurements. The genetics in cannabis are far too varied and ever rapidly changing to ever have a good answer off studying some plants in a lab for most aspects. I read text books on the science I like, but too many people misunderstand science to be honest. Not necessarily you just in general.
If for example you want to study a GMO crop like corn it's not varied nearly as much as cannabis so a lab study makes sense especially for GMO corn that farmers use. Far less varied, But as far as cannabis I think people should learn to read the plants, too many people want a cookie cutter answer, the "pill for everything" mind set we have as humans currently part in thanks to big pharma. That was my point, not to woo woo away science ✌️

PianoStan

PianoStan

The research on plants in general is in its infancy still as far as understanding. I didn't state I don't trust science as long as I see where the funding came from and your name isn't fauci. What I stated is testing in a lab is not a great way to study . Cannabis plants. Growing cannabis plants is a lot more feel than measurements. The genetics in cannabis are far too varied and ever rapidly changing to ever have a good answer off studying some plants in a lab for most aspects. I read text books on the science I like, but too many people misunderstand science to be honest. Not necessarily you just in general.
If for example you want to study a GMO crop like corn it's not varied nearly as much as cannabis so a lab study makes sense especially for GMO corn that farmers use. Far less varied, But as far as cannabis I think people should learn to read the plants, too many people want a cookie cutter answer, the "pill for everything" mind set we have as humans currently part in thanks to big pharma. That was my point, not to woo woo away science ✌️
It's definitely important to know who funded a study before you show any interest in it.

Until recently, say the last 15-20 years, the National Institute for Health was the ONLY US agency that was authorized to grow marijuana for the purpose of study. The problem with that is that it's a government agency, and they would only release the product if the purpose of the study was to prove the NEGATIVE effects of marijuana. And to be totally honest, I'm noy really sure how much that policy has changed. States legalizing weed has opened up more sources to obtain the marijuana for study. But it still matters greatly who funded the study, and how in-depth and detailed it was as to whether or not it's even remotely believable. That's the primary reason why marijuana studies remain in their infancy.

GregTheAlien

GregTheAlien

It's definitely important to know who funded a study before you show any interest in it.

Until recently, say the last 15-20 years, the National Institute for Health was the ONLY US agency that was authorized to grow marijuana for the purpose of study. The problem with that is that it's a government agency, and they would only release the product if the purpose of the study was to prove the NEGATIVE effects of marijuana. And to be totally honest, I'm noy really sure how much that policy has changed. States legalizing weed has opened up more sources to obtain the marijuana for study. But it still matters greatly who funded the study, and how in-depth and detailed it was as to whether or not it's even remotely believable. That's the primary reason why marijuana studies remain in their infancy.
If we are to continue high-jacking this thread, let me say, I definitely trust and love science. My agreement was more of the sentiment that you must learn for yourself and you can't simply live in the abstract or discussion section of a study and hope to grow the perfect cannabis plant. To make the perfect cannabis plant you must grow cannabis plants, take notes, take readings, smoke joints (not necessary but it can help), and learn what works. Repeat.

J

jester83

I don't mind it at all I look at it as all information that I can use or pick trough if I need to figure out what's going on with my plants

Stokes

Stokes

This is my first grow was thinking of using a dwc for a starter still getting everything I need and ready before I start
Definitely would not recommend DWC for first grow. How are you on details? If you have decent water and an EC/ph pen i would recommend coco. If youre pressed for time i would recommend a solid amended soil, then a top dressing of an organic fertilizer every 2-3 weeks. I like down to earth, tried out roots organics dry amendments and terp teas last couple grows and theyre solid.

Last edited:
Stokes

Stokes

Ok so I got ff ocean flore and happy frog and tios on the medium mixture I should use and do I need to get netureints for later use
If its an auto i would just start in ocean forest. Photos are good to start in happy frog then transplant to ocean forest.

If youre gonna go liquid nutes i would recommend something that self buffers the ph like advanced nutrients ph perfect, or even megacrop (which is solid but you dissolve in water.

Keep in mind that if you go dry amendments that it does take time for them to be broken down into food for your plant. So you have to anticipate feedings, time them for certain life cycles of the plant. You have tk pay attention to waterings because the it will kill microbes or make them dormant.

PianoStan

PianoStan

If we are to continue high-jacking this thread, let me say, I definitely trust and love science. My agreement was more of the sentiment that you must learn for yourself and you can't simply live in the abstract or discussion section of a study and hope to grow the perfect cannabis plant. To make the perfect cannabis plant you must grow cannabis plants, take notes, take readings, smoke joints (not necessary but it can help), and learn what works. Repeat.
I'm a career nurse. Science has been my life. However, people have been led astray by the thousands of studies every year that are published after a short duration, small sample group, and/or not having been peer reviewed; yet they are reported as fact. And the internet is more of a curse than a blessing since people have taken to re-tribalizing society and only looking up information that reinforces their pre-conceived notions. And anybody can say anything and make it look good.

So paying careful attention to the potential motives of the people funding research is imperative.

However, i definitely agree that we shouldn't hijack this dude's thread.

PianoStan

PianoStan

If its an auto i would just start in ocean forest. Photos are good to start in happy frog then transplant to ocean forest.

If youre gonna go liquid nutes i would recommend something that self buffers the ph like advanced nutrients ph perfect, or even megacrop (which is solid but you dissolve in water.

Keep in mind that if you go dry amendments that it does take time for them to be broken down into food for your plant. So you have to anticipate feedings, time them for certain life cycles of the plant. You have tk pay attention to waterings because the it will kill microbes or make them dormant.
Advanced Nutrient pH Perfect Micro-Grow-Bloom is what I have used to grow my first plant. And it has become a monster even through all of my mistakes. It drinks pretty close to 3L/day of nute water. I am really happy with their products. My only real complaint is that you need like 10 other nutrient solutions to deliver exactly what the plant needs when it needs it.

This is my first grow, and I'm doing Deep Water Culture. It's worked out well so far. I should be harvesting in 4-5 weeks. Fingers crossed I don't screw it up before then.

Stokes

Stokes

Advanced Nutrient pH Perfect Micro-Grow-Bloom is what I have used to grow my first plant. And it has become a monster even through all of my mistakes. It drinks pretty close to 3L/day of nute water. I am really happy with their products. My only real complaint is that you need like 10 other nutrient solutions to deliver exactly what the plant needs when it needs it.

This is my first grow, and I'm doing Deep Water Culture. It's worked out well so far. I should be harvesting in 4-5 weeks. Fingers crossed I don't screw it up before then.
People hate on advanced nutrients because someone in the company was a pedo or something. Ive used ph perfect for soil and coco and grew bangers with both. I have no complaints. Did you look at the 2 part sensi line? Might have been the easier option for DWC

Also, im doing my first run in coco with megacrop a/b. Im really liking what im seeing. Might want to put it on your radar. Self buffering too. But it also has silica iirc, which ph perfect doesnt

PianoStan

PianoStan

People hate on advanced nutrients because someone in the company was a pedo or something. Ive used ph perfect for soil and coco and grew bangers with both. I have no complaints

Also, im doing my first run in coco with megacrop a/b. Im really liking what im seeing. Might want to put it on your radar. Self buffering too. But it also has silica iirc, which ph perfect doesnt
If some high up muckity-muck being a deviant is enough to boycott a company, no company with more than 5 employees should be profitable! Honestly, I can't be troubled with someone's behavior beyond my own.

I have seriously never been able to even keep a cactus alive for more than 30 days. This is my first marijuana plant. It's slightly light burned on the top because I didn't bother to train it when it was little. I nearly drowned it twice in the first 3 weeks. I've struggled to maintain proper humidity. But this is what it looked like yesterday:
240503 W7T2 D4

Stokes

Stokes

Seedlings only need like a shot glass of water around the base at this stage. Water heavier around the edge if you want. Want to encourage roots to look for water, make them dig in.

Stokes

Stokes

If some high up muckity-muck being a deviant is enough to boycott a company, no company with more than 5 employees should be profitable! Honestly, I can't be troubled with someone's behavior beyond my own.

I have seriously never been able to even keep a cactus alive for more than 30 days. This is my first marijuana plant. It's slightly light burned on the top because I didn't bother to train it when it was little. I nearly drowned it twice in the first 3 weeks. I've struggled to maintain proper humidity. But this is what it looked like yesterday:
View attachment 2164644
What are you, like week 3/4 flower?
Shes gonna bulk like hell! What a 1st grow! Very well done.

If youre above 40 and under 70 rh id say youre good. If i had to nit pick id say clean up the base of the plant and remove lower bud sites. But as good as shes looking id be scared to mess with anything, you’ll have full jars either way

Top Bottom