I'm trying hydroponics, one day it will work :-)

• Thread starter QcBerry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
steamroller

steamroller

I am not familiar with this type of grow.
Is there supposed to be water in bucket for roots?
If the res and buckets are same level the water will be also [or very close].
Raise your res. to match the buckets if you want more water in them, or remove the stage.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I am not familiar with this type of grow.
Is there supposed to be water in bucket for roots?
If the res and buckets are same level the water will be also [or very close].
Raise your res. to match the buckets if you want more water in them, or remove the stage.
It looks like he's doing some sort of DWC variant but from what I'm seeing he's just dripping into hydroton and whatever excess drips into the bucket. I'm not seeing how any of the solution is returning to the reservoir? I'm confused.....

QcBerry

QcBerry

The water return to the reservoir from a 1inch pipe. And no the roots are not sinkibg into solution, only drip go through the root and then dry. Its not a dwc since there is almost no water in the plant bucket, the bucket are 4 inch higher.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

The water return to the reservoir from a 1inch pipe. And no the roots are not sinkibg into solution, only drip go through the root and then dry. Its not a dwc since there is almost no water in the plant bucket, the bucket are 4 inch higher.
So the bottom bucket is just to catch water? How much water flow do you have? If you're dripping I can't see how you would be able to get a flow back to the reservoir unless both res and catch bucket are at the same level of solution but then you won't really have a "flow" per se because the amount of drip would be miniscule or are you just recycling solution back and forth?

QcBerry

QcBerry

2023 04 042139505344442276945209912

QcBerry

QcBerry

In the reservoir there is two pump. One for the dripper and one that take the water from the bottom of the reservoir and make a fall to the top of the same reservoir. The only flow in the plant bucket are the dripper. The plant bucket are 6 inch higher that the reservoir and the reservoir is half. So there is not much water in the plant bucket

QcBerry

QcBerry

and the drip water came back to the reservoir since the reservoir is lower. I got 2 x 1gallon dripper per bucket, and now i try to run 3 min on and 2hours off. Should i wait till the bottom of the hydroton net is completly dry???

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

In the reservoir there is two pump. One for the dripper and one that take the water from the bottom of the reservoir and make a fall to the top of the same reservoir. The only flow in the plant bucket are the dripper. The plant bucket are 6 inch higher that the reservoir and the reservoir is half. So there is not much water in the plant bucket
OK....now I get it.

So you're using the bucket under the plant site as a catch and your pumping it back into the reservoir. Reservoir is pumping solution to drip site.

steamroller

steamroller

In the dutch buckets I plan to use there is a 2 reservoir at bottom before the water drains.
The are meant to operate like you are basically, but most use the clay or perlite in the whole buckets not just the net pot.
IMO the roots need to be in something. Water, wool,perlite, or clay.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

and the drip water came back to the reservoir since the reservoir is lower. I got 2 x 1gallon dripper per bucket, and now i try to run 3 min on and 2hours off. Should i wait till the bottom of the hydroton net is completly dry???
So what does the other pump in the reservoir do if, from what I'm understanding, you're gravity feeding the drip back into the reservoir?

QcBerry

QcBerry

The other pump just make sur there it have a continuous flow i guess.. dont know hahahaha. I just taught a fall in the reservoir will put more oxygen and help making my water better XD im a noob guys. And for the root, in aeroponic the root are not into the solution, the concept i had in mind is the drip will fall from the root. Even after 2hour the root is stils humid so basically it still into water since the water stays on the root by capilarity and slow go back to the reservoir

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

The other pump just make sur there it have a continuous flow i guess.. dont know hahahaha. I just taught a fall in the reservoir will put more oxygen and help making my water better XD im a noob guys. And for the root, in aeroponic the root are not into the solution, the concept i had in mind is the drip will fall from the root. Even after 2hour the root is stils humid so basically it still into water since the water stays on the root by capilarity and slow go back to the reservoir
Gotcha!!!

I understand you wanting oxygenate through the waterfall effect but I don't think you're going to see the oxygen level rise all that much vs an airstone and air pump. That's what I would use if you're trying to oxygenate the water.

QcBerry

QcBerry

Gonna give you update tomorrow but i think they die. It sucks im gonna be too late too make another grow before summer. Im gonna need to put my ac in in 2 month

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

After readin about your set up, your system in a new one to me. Where did you see it or how did you come up with it? To me it seems kind of like a lvertical nutrient film rig (nft). I think you should put an air stone in it for sure. Oxygen to the roots is a must. Get a 2 or 4 port aquarium air pump some 1/4” tubing and some air stones. Do that and you can run water over the roots continuously. Or you can raise your res so the water level just touches the bottoms of your mesh pot (dwc or rdwc) then lower the water level to 4-6” below the mesh pit as your roots grow. Until then I think you’ll be good with 1 hour off 5 min on watering. If the plant doesn’t show any sign of wilting I’d extend the off time.
For dwc or rdwc set ups I like an air stone in every bucket.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

After readin about your set up, your system in a new one to me. Where did you see it or how did you come up with it? To me it seems kind of like a lvertical nutrient film rig (nft). I think you should put an air stone in it for sure. Oxygen to the roots is a must. Get a 2 or 4 port aquarium air pump some 1/4” tubing and some air stones. Do that and you can run water over the roots continuously. Or you can raise your res so the water level just touches the bottoms of your mesh pot (dwc or rdwc) then lower the water level to 4-6” below the mesh pit as your roots grow. Until then I think you’ll be good with 1 hour off 5 min on watering. If the plant doesn’t show any sign of wilting I’d extend the off time.
For dwc or rdwc set ups I like an air stone in every bucket.
I think your right on the NFT. If I was going to keep his system intact in the way he has it setup, I would stack the buckets. Lids on both buckets with net pot on top bucket and a hole on the bottom of the top bucket draining into the bottom bucket res. Bottom bucket would have airstone for aeriation.

I'd also paint the outside of the top bucket where the roots are growing into so that it's dark and the roots aren't seeing orange light. Might be one of the reasons he's not seeing roots outside the net pot as the light is self pruning the roots.

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

I guess you wouldn’t be able to tell if it’s wilting so. If it doesn’t perk up at 1 hour off extend the off time to 1.5 hr
Btw Peroxide provides a quick oxygen bump

QcBerry

QcBerry

I think your right on the NFT. If I was going to keep his system intact in the way he has it setup, I would stack the buckets. Lids on both buckets with net pot on top bucket and a hole on the bottom of the top bucket draining into the bottom bucket res. Bottom bucket would have airstone for aeriation.

I'd also paint the outside of the top bucket where the roots are growing into so that it's dark and the roots aren't seeing orange light. Might be one of the reasons he's not seeing roots outside the net pot as the light is self pruning the roots.
There is no ligh leak in the root bucket

QcBerry

QcBerry

I dont think that give less water was good.. now they clearly lack of water.. i think they are die but im trying to clean them with a peroxyde solution, i buy some bennies and enzyme for the next try. I think i had a bacteria in my water thats cause root rot and harm mt plant really good. Im gonna start new seed in some other way. One day, my drip system will work. Even if you dont believe in it XD

QcBerry

QcBerry

I rinse them with clear water and 7ml of peroxyde for each liter of water. The plant who mad the 90°degree this morning came straight back. I dont know how many time i should let it run like that... im going to change my reservoir too delete the peroxyde so i can add bennies and enzyme.
2023 04 051232197699171442645120127
2023 04 051233058569696164170279372
2023 04 051230558868870534972457183

Top Bottom