Independent growers in colorado

• Thread starter SweetIslandFunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SweetIslandFunk

Now that HB1284 is through the door how can independent growers in Colorado continue to operate. How can we get rid of extra meds? Is our hobby with benefits become a little bit less beneficial ? The 70/30 rule has made it so that dispensaries must grow 70% of there own and can only buy 30% from other sources which must be other medical marijuana centers. So does this mean I should hook up with a dispensary ? Or are the dispensary growers screwed to? Does the 70% have to be In the same location? If so how does one start a MMC? Or join one? I am Colorado grower who wants to continue to do so, I need guidance. Please comment

SIFunk

C

canaguy27

If your operation is over 5 patients, then you have to be an MMC. Good luck starting one.

If you partner with an MMC, get ready to be lowballed. A guy I talked to that was offered the position was offered $1400 per lb.

There will be a lot of meds going out of state because of this.

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
all these regulations are only going to raise the price . if the disp. you are working with doesnt relize this they arent going to have any product on the shelves. i work with/ under a disp. and i get 3000-3500 a lb. noone can survive at 1500 a lb. not indoor anyway. how are they going to really prove the 70/30 law anyway? plus you have to register and un-register every employee that works for you, they cant even handle that licenses now, how are they going to stay on top of this? seems like they created a monster of paper work..

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
sweet island, how many patients/ plants do you have now? if you dont mind me askin....

S

SweetIslandFunk

I let my patients go due to all of this bullshit but I still have access to mine and two other patients grows. I am willing to take on patients after all of this is sorted out and that will be easy.

How's everyone feel about Arizona? Or Chicago? It's on the ballot this year I believe.

sky high

sky high

5 patients who know 5 patients who know 5 patients.....etc..etc...etc.

Just as it was "pre-dispensary", I believe the demand for meds behind the scenes will increase considerably and as buttaflave says, prices in the dispensaries...'er....a..."Centers" will rise because they will have to cover excessive admin costs/etc. to comply. This will give the independent guy a chance to fetch a decent price for his meds and still give the patients a far cheaper bag of meds than they can get at the "Center" in their area.

One way the Centers/Gov't will track meds is that I'm guessing EVERY sale will generate a 1099 at the very least. There are also bar codes coming into play.....and like someone mentioned about liquor sales...scanning yer card when you sell/make a purchases is gonna be a reality very soon, IMO.

time will tell....but things are changing without a doubt.

s h

S

SweetIslandFunk

So what's the rule on caregivers for patients. No dispensaries just care givers that have one grow and use it all for patients directly? Going back underground

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
would i be able to have a "co-op" in my facility? as in, i have a couple friends who has five patients and they come to grow with me? either way i think i smell double d's blowing up in colorado... even with 5 patients you can make a profit with that system.. i am not worried, i think they have just created way more work/problems then they thought..

sedate

sedate

Wow.

I've been giving this alot of thought myself.

I'm especially troubled by all the tiered license requirements - like one for sales, one for grows, one for edibles . . . jeeze.

SweetIsland said:
they cant even handle that licenses now, how are they going to stay on top of this? seems like they created a monster of paper work..

Exactly. I mean, the idea is to choke the industry with red tape.

Choke out the industry with paperwork and liscensing chores to help shake out wildcatters and neighborhood grows - the only dispensaries left standing will be the big-boys in Denver.

ButtaFlave said:
i work with/ under a disp. and i get 3000-3500 a lb. noone can survive at 1500 a lb. not indoor anyway

I mean - I don't get that - and it seems wholesale prices are dropping quick all over Colorado - my last lb went out in tiny little pieces prices are so depressed.

canaguy27 said:
There will be a lot of meds going out of state because of this

ButtaFlave said:
all these regulations are only going to raise the price . if the disp. you are working with doesnt relize this they arent going to have any product on the shelves.

Yup! I wouldn't be suprised if we see $90 1/8's in Denver within a week of that 70/30 rule.

ButtaFlave said:
how are they going to really prove the 70/30 law anyway?

They can't. But they will use difficulty in enforcing the provision as an excuse to add more regulation next year.

For some reason, the state here, feels the need for absolute control.

Honestly, the dispensary I still work with does all his buys privately at home from friends and a guy that comes in from California - methinks this law will be alot of bark with very little enforceable bite.

The most important parts - private growing and possession - are still protected.

I, for one, am okay with fewer patients since it is fewer people calling me whining - just upgrade equipment.

Where's that MPB forum?

S

SweetIslandFunk

I know that there cannot be more then one collection of 36 plants in one location, however a co op may have more then one grow, just not in the same place.

sedate

sedate

SweetIsland said:
So what's the rule on caregivers for patients. No dispensaries just care givers that have one grow and use it all for patients directly? Going back underground

No rules if you are 5 patients or less and not a "business" - just don't register for sales tax or anything and don't make business cards or anything - and you'll be fine under the radar.

sky high

sky high

buttaflave....

There was a clause that said no 2 CG's (or more) could grow in the same space. dunno if it stands in the revised verbiage or not. (I'm guessing yes)

Bingo, sedate. This is actually a good thing for the small guys.

s h

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
as long as i get to grow. the only thing that really pisses me off is that i cant work with ALL the genetics i want do to number restrictions.. i am going to hold off on the seed popping for a while... right after the d-haze... its also f's things up cause i have a business with investors, now I, not my business, has to get "hired" by the disp. wtf? whats to say they dont just lowball the shit outta me?

sedate

sedate

ButtaFlave said:
whats to say they dont just lowball the shit outta me

Well - first off - most growers have to go to the trouble of selling it in the first place - so be glad you can just dump the shit like a pawn shop even if you aren't getting the dollars you want.

You are selling dried plant matter, after all - this isn't exactly a difficult commodity to produce - so remember you are still in a decent position, all things considered.

But papered growers without thier own store-front will be held hostage to the big dispensaries with buying power.

Sky High said:
Bingo, sedate. This is actually a good thing for the small guys.

Yea man I think this is really going to help push prices back up and get the underground scene breathing again.

In the zealous quest for control, the legislature just pushed 1/2 the industry back underground where the man couldn't enforce it in the first place.

The thing I'm really afraid of is California's November ballot initiative.

Giving the 36,000,000 people there thier own 25 sq/ft of growspace would, methinks, be the end of high priced marijuana in this country.

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
sedate- i was thinking more on the line of contracts.. or a way to keep the price level..as a company we sign contracts that keep the price regular... if i am an employee of a disp how do i have a contract if i am an employee not a contractor.. then if i become aa employee what does my company do? dissolve? my investors are going to love this..

sky high

sky high

Anyone old enough to remember this one?

"All good things must come to an end
It's the same with the wildwood weed"

I hear ya sedate.....but if folks want "legalization" they must also realize that as everyone fires up a garden, "weed" will take a seat beside tomatoes and other veggies that folks will GIVE away to others/neighbors/etc.....or at best...will sell for a nominal amount.

think of all the folks who'll have to get jobs. holy shit. Makes me glad I'm old(er). I love veggies....and in the end, won't need the income from weed to survive like some folks are setting up for.

nope. no worries.

true grit

true grit

I think everyone is a little freaked just yet. None have seen the final bill from what I can summize. There will be lawsuits. Some will be found un-constitutional. Rasmussen polls don't lie, and seeing almost 50% in favor or legalization in CO will freak out some politicians once lawsuits start getting filed with that much legalization support.

I'm sorry but I got plenty of homies in Cali that aint hurtin while everybody is bitching about low prices and not being able to sell shit. Its called quality and it sticks out, black market or not. If you are concerned about money, start a tight knit group of patients and don't budge on price... that or become a dispensary. And if you are on a scale to do so, price, warehouse, zoning, etc is NOT AN ISSUE.

sedate

sedate

true grit said:
There will be lawsuits. Some will be found un-constitutional. Rasmussen polls don't lie, and seeing almost 50% in favor or legalization in CO will freak out some politicians once lawsuits start getting filed with that much legalization support.

I would argue that the legislature is much more concerned with the fact that when it actually went up for a vote - in 2006 when Democrats won a *total* victory - it failed by like 10 points.

Polls are important, sure, but they matter less when there is a demonstrable vote to point too - and, if anything, Colorado voters are going to be a bit *more* hostile to marijuana now than before the Ogden memo set the Denver scene ablaze.

true grit said:
I'm sorry but I got plenty of homies in Cali that aint hurtin while everybody is bitching about low prices and not being able to sell shit. Its called quality and it sticks out, black market or not.

I agree. I think the growers with the best of the best will survive.

That seems to be the niche dispensaries all want and real good pot is still fucking hard to find.

Methinks that'll never change.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

Some things about the structure of HB 1284 have me confused. I'm partying with a bunch of attorneys in aspen next month and I have ALOT of questions about this bill. One of them is the licensing fee. Is $35,000 per location or per entity? The co-oping is another issue. Have you guys seen the warehouses in boulder that sell segmented grow space, like storage units for growers (is this considered shared space)? If you are 1099'd, are you considered part of the 70%?

I believe if you are 1099'd and considered part of the 70% your grow has to be in a location that could be considered commercial, i.e. not in a residence. The description of an "in-house" grow remains vague as well as what is considered part of the 70% and what is considered part of the 30%.

I talked to the dispensary that I am working with about pre-vegging plants in 10" net pots for growers using DD style tubs. The veg market for hydroponics is pretty much wide open. It would be nice for caregivers to run 2 18plant (or 4 9plant is better IMO) DD's on a light flip that are approximately 30 days apart from each other. Caregivers could pick up their next round of plants from a retail location instead of having to veg everything out, clone, keep mothers, ect. As far as genetics are concerned, I'm having the dispensary I am affiliated with keep at least 25 mothers. I'll be running their grow. What is keeping a dispensary from renting grow space just like the storage units in boulder, then all of that can be considered 70% grown in house even if 70% isn't sold in house.

I TOTALLY see the lowballing going on and people are starting to get some shit weed out there due to the influx. Try doctors orders, a friend of mine said he is getting a grand a quap if you KNOW it's heady. I have a crop that got seeded up and I am VERY tempted to go sell it to some price-based dipshit for the $800 a qp price most dispensaries are negotiating. That's what you get for lowballing IMO. The dispensary I am working with has a $40 cap, so they don't pay over $800 a qp. Quite frankly their quality is mediocre unless one of my friends has to pay his rent or something and gets desperate. The lowball effects quality, but for $40 tax included it's not going to be the best of quality unless it's grown in house. I am negotiating a contract for $3,100 a lb or I'm walking. I'm fine with that price as long as the savings is passed on as a $40 cap. If it's retail $50 an 1/8th I wouldn't take any less than $3,600 IMO. If a business can't make it on a 40% markup then someone shouldn't be running a business. It may have to go to $45 due to a certain $35,000 fee but we'll see. I am hoping the sale of vegged plants will help cover the license cost.

DO NOT sign any contract with a no-compete clause in it or you are screwing yourself.

Top Bottom