Indica Landrace Clone and Grow

• Thread starter bigbagofbuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Here is my plan:
6 Syrian (10 seeds, 1 mutant, 2 males 1 never germinated)
1 Zanjeer (10 seeds, accidentally let them get too dry I think and lost all but one just after germination)

Here are the plants, just transplanted to 2 gallon pots, switching to flower shortly (~1 week) once the roots get a bit of time to grow.

Currently sitting at 75f 50rh ~500ppfd 18 hours.

Indica landrace clone and grow

Please excuse the beat up look, Ive been busy and the Zanjeer (yellow plant) ate through the nutrients as it was a few weeks older than the others and I have been half assing the liquid fertilizer.

All the plants experienced a bit of phytotoxicity in a pre flower pest control spray that I probably mixed too strong.

Ive taken clones and I am flowering the plants that I grew from seed. I plan to have the flowers tested and then use the male plants to produce the next generation maybe saving some mother plants if there is something special.

Im hoping to find more balanced cannabinoid contents that are different from the modern hybrids.

Medium is promix BX with added perlite, gaia green 4-4-4 and 2-8-4.

Treecutter

Treecutter

Nice! I love growing indica. I'm usualy home for 1.5 days and gone 3 with work. Indica is so much easier. Last year I did a bunch of wedding cake runs trying to get it dialed in.

If I remember right, the zanjeer smelt like black liquorice and got real dark in flower. I think thats the Indian strain that almost took double dosing of cal mag. I don't know if I even still have that journal, If I do find it ill share the notes. Been a minute since we had that.

Treecutter

Treecutter

Also on using the gia I found hitting them with the 2-8-4 1-2 weeks before flower worked better. I Supplemented with alfalfa meal tea and Alaskan fish fertilizer if I got behind on the top dress with the gia.

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Also on using the gia I found hitting them with the 2-8-4 1-2 weeks before flower worked better. I Supplemented with alfalfa meal tea and Alaskan fish fertilizer if I got behind on the top dress with the gia.
Good to know! Ill have to give that a shot since the medium was mixed for veg and I just used it for transplanting. Ill likely top dress with 2 tbsp 2-8-4 per pot today to let things get going before the switch in a few days. Then continue on the top dress schedule every 3ish weeks aiming for abother 2 to 3 applications of 2 tbsp/g mixing the 4-4-4 and 2-8-4 in varying proportions (last grow had 2 top dress applications after the switch to flower but was a bit short and the plants faded a bit earlier than I had planned)

Interesting to hear about the Zanjeer, Im really hoping this one is a female. Also good to know about the higher calcium needs, I can agree that it has been hungrier than the other plants when I was feeding liquid nutrients.

Treecutter

Treecutter

Yea, rule of thumb with gia and most organics 2 weeks before it gets microbial break down. Alfalfa meal is an exception, the nitrogen is immediately available. Even though most Alfalfa meal is 2 percent nitrogen, you can over dose it real quick.

I'm in travel right now but ill check my files when I get back to AZ for that grow log.

SativaKid

SativaKid

The Gaja Green 2-8-4 is amazing stuff. It's a bunch of natural components all milled down together into a powder, all natural. If you cut off all nutes and use Fish Fertilizer in veg and weak Banana peel tea once a week in flower. And recycle your soil. Use half cup of Gaja for every 7 gallons of soil you load into a grow bag. And every run the buds will get sweeter and bigger as your soil starts to evolve. It took 3 runs for my soil to flame on! Never use chlorinated water. It's too easy to dechlor your water. And I add 1/8 teaspoon Dolomite lime to my 20 gallon Dechlorination Barrel and my Calcium uptake by the plant is great. My leaves don't fall off in flower until the trichomes become milky.

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

As recommended I top dressed today with some 2-8-4. I watered it in with some beneficial microbes to get things going. I do use humic acids to dechlorinate the tap water to try and keep the microbiome going.

The plants look like they are starting to adjust to the new environment, the Zanajeer growth points are greening up to the right colour.

Ill probably switch to flower mid next week, Im not sure what to expect in terms of stretch and dont want to have things get unmanageable. The stalks on some of these plants are getting really thick.

PXL 20220121 104259224

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

The plants are looking good, makes me ichy to flip to flower, I wont have a good way to support the flowers if it comes to it.

There is a mix of some really short internode plants (fat stems) with some longer internode plants (thin stems).

The Zanjeer is giving an amazing smell from a stem rub.

The plants look adjusted and l will likely be switching to flower by Wednesday at this rate.

PXL 20220123 110243240

Here are 2 males that got root bound and are flowering under 18/6 currently. One of the males looks like a real keeper, I hope to be able to clone these once the other clones are out of the cloner in maybe a weeks time. The Syrian is described as semi-autoflower and it is definitely true when root bound. This trait is interesting to me and I am curious if it is also extra sensitive to photoperiod changes which would be great for outdoor growing in Canada.

PXL 20220123 111133752
PXL 20220123 111155603
PXL 20220123 111240522

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

I will be flipping to flower once the lights are out, which should start the cycle going into Wednesday.

Plants are looking healthy, no signs of the thrips I was combating before, the preflower pest treatment appears to have done the job well.

One more plant decided to flower and show its sex as male so I moved it back over to the male tent. My hope is to let these males flower under 18/6, take some clones in a week or so when the cloner has space, collect pollen for the future seed creation, and then hopefully if the clones work out, repot them and then run the lights at 20/4 to avoid them going to flower again until I am ready to pollinate.

Zanjeer is front right, the rest are Syrian.
PXL 20220125 101013019

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Day 2 of flower, 75f 50rh ~500ppfd 12hrs

Looks like 1 more plant is going to show itself as male, I am hoping the remaining plants are females.

Im not very good at cloning haha, I tried to improve humidity as my last set of clones were very ugly once rooted. My current cuttings are looking great, but one started to grow PM, I will be spraying them down with potassium bicarbonate solution to combat. Still no roots after 8 days, I need a proper cloner or new method haha. Currently using a cheap amazon DWC cloner sitting inside a storage tote which I have covered with a bag to keep humidity up.

Here are the plants today, front left is 90% chance a male, there are 2 showing pistils and still 3 not giving any indication.

The plan is to increase light intensity ~150 ppfd as the weeks pass starting next week.

PXL 20220127 095525741

I will likely move the male plant to the male tent once Im certain.

Here are the male plants, starting with my favourite (largest and densest flowers so far). I need to top dress the male plants that are still in their smaller pots ~1 tbsp, I did so last week and they loved it but I was lazy and didnt add any 4-4-4 and they are showing nitrogen deficiency (not visible in photos).

75f 50rh ~700ppfd 18hrs
PXL 20220127 100143797PORTRAIT
PXL 20220127 100126373
PXL 20220127 100157214PORTRAIT

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Day 3 of flower

Moved the suspected male to the male tent. The Zanjeer is looking like it will be female! Only 2 plants not yet showing sex (center and front left).

The short Syrian plants have dinner plate sized leaves when full grown showing 10 leaflets currently, I may have to defoliate the big leaves to open up the structure soon, so far the growth points seem to be pushing through, just a bit more crowded than I like. Im hoping they will stretch enough that I can clean up the bottoms and separate the branches from eachother more. The tall Syrian has longer internode spacing similar to the Zanjeer, these would make good bushes outdoors. The short Syrian is practically cabbage/romaine lettuce in comparison.

PXL 20220128 102450653

Check out the fat stems on the short Syrian plants compared to the Zanjeer (around 3 weeks difference in age). Looks to be around thumb/bic lighter thickness.

PXL 20220128 102520322
PXL 20220128 102540934

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
Here is my plan:
6 Syrian (10 seeds, 1 mutant, 2 males 1 never germinated)
1 Zanjeer (10 seeds, accidentally let them get too dry I think and lost all but one just after germination)

Here are the plants, just transplanted to 2 gallon pots, switching to flower shortly (~1 week) once the roots get a bit of time to grow.

Currently sitting at 75f 50rh ~500ppfd 18 hours.

View attachment 1208220

Please excuse the beat up look, Ive been busy and the Zanjeer (yellow plant) ate through the nutrients as it was a few weeks older than the others and I have been half assing the liquid fertilizer.

All the plants experienced a bit of phytotoxicity in a pre flower pest control spray that I probably mixed too strong.

Ive taken clones and I am flowering the plants that I grew from seed. I plan to have the flowers tested and then use the male plants to produce the next generation maybe saving some mother plants if there is something special.

Im hoping to find more balanced cannabinoid contents that are different from the modern hybrids.

Medium is promix BX with added perlite, gaia green 4-4-4 and 2-8-4.
Heavy feeder .....1 o'clock
Lol
They look marvelous baby

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Heavy feeder .....1 o'clock
Lol
They look marvelous baby
Haha yeah I slacked and that one ate all its nutrients ahead of the others as its around 3 weeks older. Its looking good now though, its the front right plant in most recent photos.
Syrian pollen ya say?
Yup these are the Syrian landrace from The Real Seed Company, planning to hit all the females with pollen for a nice seed run. I am also going to get the flowers tested so I am hoping if all goes well Ill have some seed with data on the mother. Planning to keep the seeds separate allowing for selection in the next round if it makes sense.

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
I bought balkhi, and the chit I think it was kerala.....gave em to my buddy who ended up reciprocating with a qp of "blueberry muffin" flowers .....nothing but mold. Hopefully I can get another crack at those RSC lines

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
To be fair the RSC lines were great I never got a chance to see him because I have a feeling they flourished and he kept them and he gave me what he gave me it is what it is I guess we're all due to meet that one guy huh?

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

To be fair the RSC lines were great I never got a chance to see him because I have a feeling they flourished and he kept them and he gave me what he gave me it is what it is I guess we're all due to meet that one guy huh?
I hate to say it but its human nature to exploit others. Dont assume otherwise unless you know them well, and even then they may just be waiting for the big score.

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Good news everyone! All the plants in the female tent are showing themselves as females, including the only Zanjeer that survived!

I did some stem rubs today and there is a good mix of terpenes.

The Zanjeer is so fruity that I am very excited to see how the flowers turn out!

The lanky Syrian female is also mostly fruity.

The stockier Syrians are more earthy with hints of floral notes, almost a rose scent to it.

The male Syrians are split into 3 groups, the first is earthy and floral, the second is mostly fruity, and the last one has the most amazing sweet cinnamon clove allspice smell to it.

Interestingly the male plants that initiated flowering under 12/12 are still flowering under 18/6. Im curious if this trait would appear in the females, maybe making them less prone to stress from light leaks.

The clones still arent showing roots so I hope they pop some out soon. Im going to collect pollen from the male plants that are currently flowering. Im hoping Ill be able to clone the last 2 male plants and then let all these males flower to completion to ensure sexual stability. The clones will then be grown on a 20/4 schedule to try and keep them vegging.

Edit: Im going to buy some grodan cubes and get those rolling as a back up to the cheap DWC cloner.

Last edited:
bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

These plants never cease to amaze me!

Some news from the grow today, 1 Syrian I thought was female appears to be male, giving it another day to confirm then off the the male tent!

And of course as it would be, the day after I order more supplies to clone these babies start popping roots! Im happy either way hahaha, just the way it goes, I will still be throwing some cuts into the grodan cubes to get more experience.

Literally 1 day of root growth, there were no roots yesterday afternoon when I checked. Most of the cuts are popping roots and it looks like the others are only a day away from rooting.
PXL 20220130 224219037

PXL 20220130 225216217
Last edited:
bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Temperture is creeping up as the PPFD increases.
Flower tent is sitting around 77f 45rh ~650ppfd.
Day 6 of flower.

Moved the last male to the male tent.
Started collecting pollen from the 2 males that havent been cloned yet, they are looking stable, no signs of intersex traits.
Flipped the male tent to 12/12 today as I should be getting the final male clones tomorrow and want to collect pollen from all the males.

I started 4 autoflower testers of my own pollen chuck inside the flower tent just to get a look at what they hold since they will likely be pollinated by accident with the Syrian pollen.

PXL 20220131 101558355

Here is the male tent, things are getting cramped so Ill definitely have to do some pruning and clean up soon.

PXL 20220131 102345429

Top Bottom