Inexpensive MPB DIY

• Thread starter Lost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
another_sellout

another_sellout

These buckets are specific to vertical lighting. They need the 3000 or 4000 watts to really utilize that big old base to its full potential. Overhead light only feeds the canopy. The side lighting drowns the plant from floor to ceiling (8 feet with 1000 watt bulbs). Shit, you can grow two foot thick four footer with 400s in 5 gallons if you're so inclined. That brings me to my question. My 5 gallons are going to the veg room, and I'm trying to build the big buckets and up my wattage. Do you leave your buckets on the floor and drain to some sort of recessed reservoir, or are you elevating the buckets and losing precious floor to ceiling space? I might tear a hole in my floor for a drain to a reservoir in my crawl space, but there's gotta be a better way. Right? Or should I sledge that hole? All options would be appreciated.

420Gator

420Gator

i like to move mine a while after watering and suck all the shit up with a shop vac

T

t7rln

Hi Mr. Lost,

Thank you for your wonderfully detailed DIY. It's the detail that you put across which has allowed me to understand so much more about this system.

In fact your willingness to share and educate comes through in every on of your posts. You've got a great attitude, and contribute a lot to the folks here.

Early in this thread, you stated that you veg. in 5 gal. buckets, allowing a smooth transition into the MPB as you have built it.

I am wondering if you could describe your veg system.

Much thanks brother,

t7rln

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
I'll 2nd that

I agree with everything t7rin said

mal

L

Lost

Wow, thanks for the kind words.

This is how I am currently doing it. I veg in 8 inch cocotek pots, with roots coco. I handwater every day. That way I know whats going on and I actually have to look at each plant daily. Once they are veg'd up and ready for the MPB, i add 2 inches of hydroton to a 5 gallon net pot lid 10 inch I believe is the correct size, and fill the basket with hydroton. This way I veg all my plants the same and if its not being used for a MPB, its east nuff to transfer to a 5 gallon coco bucket.

Remember that when you put these guysinto the mpb room, that the lights are at the cieling and maybe 2/3's of the lights should be off. Each day you will turn on another light, and maybe lower the lights a few inches a day. Plan to take at least a full week.

13dawgsveg1
Pots
M

mrdizzle

Im seriously in love with the coco baskets. my last run the plants were so big, the basket felt like a bowling ball, rock hard. they air prune the roots so no dead roots on the bottoms like 6in cubes, when you transplant and run the top feed right on the edge of the baskets the roots pop out in 2 days

N

noone88

Emphasis on what Lost just wrote. When you bring your vegged plants into your flower room, turn on ONE THIRD (1/3) of your wattage and raise them high.

Don't even try 1/2 wattage. You'll lumen shock your plants.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Do you guys think that if you are running digital ballasts,
would it be possible to set the light output to the lowest setting,
and slowly bring it up in wattage over a week?
Then possibly you could just leave the lights at normal height.

N

nog

i clocked that idea of yours about the collar so the side roots are protected, and the extra water in the res, i have done it on my stand alone buckets, and it works a treat, great tip lost. my main problem is space. this limits what i can put in my space, no room for lots of fancy kit, chilers etc, i have digital thermometers in the buckets, and over the last 3 weeks or so the temps have got a bit high, 72f during the day and even higher on some days, so far the girls look ok, white roots no sign of rot etc, but it is a concern, in winter its ok i have to use aquarium heaters to get the temp up to about 65f, last week they hit 82f they are looking reaal healthy so far but i am worried. any tips on getting the temp down would be gratefully received.

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

Do you guys think that if you are running digital ballasts,
would it be possible to set the light output to the lowest setting,
and slowly bring it up in wattage over a week?
Then possibly you could just leave the lights at normal height.

I start just half of my digitals at 50% and raise them above the canopy for the first 3-5 days, then I slowly add more lights and increase the strength over the next week. After 10-14 days all the lights are on and at full strength.

Y

YoungDro

Am I missing something??

Is there an advantage to water cooling your lights and co2 burner? Why not just rely on Mini-Splits and save time.

From the video it doesent look hard...

N

noone88

i clocked that idea of yours about the collar so the side roots are protected, and the extra water in the res, i have done it on my stand alone buckets, and it works a treat, great tip lost. my main problem is space. this limits what i can put in my space, no room for lots of fancy kit, chilers etc, i have digital thermometers in the buckets, and over the last 3 weeks or so the temps have got a bit high, 72f during the day and even higher on some days, so far the girls look ok, white roots no sign of rot etc, but it is a concern, in winter its ok i have to use aquarium heaters to get the temp up to about 65f, last week they hit 82f they are looking reaal healthy so far but i am worried. any tips on getting the temp down would be gratefully received.

You need to get a water chiller immediately or you will lose your whole crop.

T

t7rln

INFORMATION SHARE:sun2: Not sure if this is the best place to share this info. but it seems to be as per the thread title.

While researching a chiller I came across
I have no experience with this brand of chiller, but for the $150-$200 less than what most 1/2 HP chillers cost, I would be interested in anyone's comments who has experience with it.

Shipping is free and no tax unless in Oregon.

t7rln

H

Headach

Emphasis on what Lost just wrote. When you bring your vegged plants into your flower room, turn on ONE THIRD (1/3) of your wattage and raise them high.

Don't even try 1/2 wattage. You'll lumen shock your plants.

Been there done that :D also very light nutes too, been done that :character0025: and dont spray with neem at recommended strenght, been there done that :banana:

T

t7rln

INFORMATION SHARE:sun2: Not sure if this is the best place to share this info. but it seems to be as per the thread title.

While researching a chiller I came across
I have no experience with this brand of chiller, but for the $150-$200 less than what most 1/2 HP chillers cost, I would be interested in anyone's comments who has experience with it.

Shipping is free and no tax unless in Oregon.

t7rln

This chiller rocks so far...

sedate

sedate

t7rln said:

I have had excellent results looking for aqaurium - as opposed to indoor hydro growing - supplies. Most of this hydro shit is all rebranded aquarium stuff anyway.

J

Jalisco Kid

What rh and lights are in your room. I never have that lumen shock problem. I even put a bubba in my room that I was told was highly sensitive. It had no problems. I use K silicate and kelp during this time.Something he did not do. I veg my girls under hid's. at 50 w/sq'. I think people veg their plant too close together and have them too humid. JK
Wow, thanks for the kind words.

This is how I am currently doing it. I veg in 8 inch cocotek pots, with roots coco. I handwater every day. That way I know whats going on and I actually have to look at each plant daily. Once they are veg'd up and ready for the MPB, i add 2 inches of hydroton to a 5 gallon net pot lid 10 inch I believe is the correct size, and fill the basket with hydroton. This way I veg all my plants the same and if its not being used for a MPB, its east nuff to transfer to a 5 gallon coco bucket.

Remember that when you put these guysinto the mpb room, that the lights are at the cieling and maybe 2/3's of the lights should be off. Each day you will turn on another light, and maybe lower the lights a few inches a day. Plan to take at least a full week.

L

Lost

j/k - my RH varries from 45 to 65% Generally its right around 50-53... :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom