Infested with thrips. Suggestions anyone?

• Thread starter gettogro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gettogro

I have been having trouble with my plants the past few grows, they were not as healthy as they should be. I have been trying everything under the sun to try to fix the problem. What I thought were some fungus gnats, turns out I am in infested with thrips, in all my rooms, some worse than others.
When I put my healthy vegged in the flower rooms about 3 weeks later they start to turn to crap. Stunted growth, yellowing leaves, overall poor plants. I was blaming it on everything under the sun, bad batch of nutes, bacteria in my foggers, heat, transplant shock, me being just a plain shitty grower. I couldnt understand how the spot at my house would crush it and the other spot would be crap. I am doing nothing different from grow to grow.
Well I found that I am infested with thrips, I am hoping that they are the cause of my problems and I can find a solution.

Here are some pics of the infestation
These are some microscope shots of the bugs on my plants
Infested with thrips suggestions anyone
Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 2
Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 3
Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 4

I matched up to google pics of thrips.

Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 5
Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 6

Plants are unhealthy droopy and yellowing spots, Stunted growth. Almost no stretch after 2 weeks of flower.

Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 7
Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 8

When I shake the badly infested plants a bunch of these fall to the lids.

Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 9

Are these symptoms consistent with a thrip infestation?

Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 10 Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 11 Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 12 Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 13 Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 14 Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 15 Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 16 Infested with thrips suggestions anyone 17

I

shawnskush

shawnskush

Thats an easy one bro grab some bayer shrub and garden or monterey insect killer give em a spray down and they are dunzo

ttystikk

ttystikk

Whatever you use, be sure to do two things; first, follow label instructions, and second repeat the application three times, each time WITHIN the window of the pests' reproductive cycle.

Kill them, kill their kids, kill their kids' kids before they breed.

G

gettogro

Got some Monterey garden insect spray and treated all my rooms tonight.
Thanks for the heads up on the Spinosad.
Everyone seems to agree on the forums that it is the best answere.

I realy wish i would have found this problem earlier, seems to be a lot of damage done already. I never thought about thrips, You really have to be looking for them to find them. They are tiny..

Natural

Natural

Thrips suck! I think the gestation on them is 5-7 days..so soil drench and spray under leaves..every 5 days. I highly recommend setting off some DrDoom pyrethrin bombs and setting up yellow sticky traps. The Spinosad will keep them from breeding..but to get rid of them quick you need to kill the adults too.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Got some Monterey garden insect spray and treated all my rooms tonight.
Thanks for the heads up on the Spinosad.
Everyone seems to agree on the forums that it is the best answere.

I realy wish i would have found this problem earlier, seems to be a lot of damage done already. I never thought about thrips, You really have to be looking for them to find them. They are tiny..

You think thrips are tiny? Try looking for a russet mite- those fuckers are still small under 120x magnification!

No matter how late you might think it is, you caught them before they could wipe you out, and that's something to celebrate!

Natural

Natural

Monterrey on leaves is good..but well soil drench is out for you..you need something else besides Monterrey. Maybe dunks..don't know for hydro..sorry bro..maybe safer brand insecticidal soap?

PaperStreet

PaperStreet

That sucks man i tried everything man only thing that helped me was bayer3in1 insects,mites and fungus control man get on them and be vigilant should knock the out for u homie.
Peace its at HDepot i tried like 5 different products too bayer crushed my issues just sayin man good luck.
Peace

G

gettogro

Well I treated all my plants on thursday checked them on friday, nothing but dead thrips everywhere. Looks like the spineosad worked. :). I wish I would have caught it earlier, like 2 grows ago... LOL. Damage is done for this run. But looks like my future stock of clones have been eradicated of them for now. I plan to do a reapplication of spinosad on monday and then about a week later. Im assuming that I am going to have to treat my plants in all future grows as a preventative measure.

ttystikk

ttystikk

@gettogro don't beat yourself up, man- live and learn, just keep at it.

@dankworth I didn't know that, but I've been using it for awhile now. I've never had a thrips infestation... yet. Maybe the two are related.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Whatever you use, be sure to do two things; first, follow label instructions, and second repeat the application three times, each time WITHIN the window of the pests' reproductive cycle.

Kill them, kill their kids, kill their kids' kids before they breed.

This is suddenly reminding me of Arlo Guthrie's Thanksgiving Massacre...

I WANNA KILL! the kid says at the military induction center (where new conscripts went during the Vietnam war)... the Sergeant says, 'you're our boy'

It IS thanksgiving season... 'you can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant'

A

atomic punk

Getto I had broad mites on my recent grow after 2 weeks several of them had no pistels/white hairs at all, they were eaten down to the nub also internodes are very light green on a plant with Broad Mites. I killed a few of them, after vegging for weeks I couldn't bring myself to kill them all I called aroung and found a collective in San Diego he told me that Hot Shots will kill anything above ground he said he ran them for a full bloom cycle had the finished buds tested burned and unburned and they found to be Carcinegen free. I ran them a full cycle and within 5 days all my bugs were gone the girls did ok considering the initial damage they suffered. I made sure my room was sealed at least 12 hours a day with no air flow so it should permeate to environment . you can pick them up at Home Depot or Lowes for $7.95 they last for 4 months

Last edited:
Top Bottom