Introducing Scynce LED Grow Lights

• Thread starter ScynceLED
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ace9137

Ace9137

I'll ask what everyone e else wants to ask.. what price range are you aiming for?

The market is already flooded with overpriced led fixtures. None if them out performing cheaper no name options. With the market si saturated, and the stupid markup some manufacturers put I their lights, what you're making would have to be much better than what's already out there.

There are only so many viable options for components, nothing you use would be new, or previously unavailable. It would just be a remake of something already available.

I just hope you are aiming for a lower price range. Already too much overpriced sub par LEDs out there.
^this is the way I wish I could say it, to bad I can not.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'll ask what everyone e else wants to ask.. what price range are you aiming for?

The market is already flooded with overpriced led fixtures. None if them out performing cheaper no name options. With the market si saturated, and the stupid markup some manufacturers put I their lights, what you're making would have to be much better than what's already out there.

There are only so many viable options for components, nothing you use would be new, or previously unavailable. It would just be a remake of something already available.

I just hope you are aiming for a lower price range. Already too much overpriced sub par LEDs out there.
I think they have 2 advantages depending how you look at it. The optics are a huge improvement to what's out there in most cases. The spectrum manipulation is nice but imo a little over done that may be confusing to newer growers. If the price falls in the middle it's promising. The deal breaker for me is actually one of the benefits of this fixture and that's the optics. I would rather have more diodes spread more evenly than loose efficiency trying to use less diodes. But look at the market 90% of the LEDs sold right now would benefit from these optics and I think that's what they are going for.

BigCube

BigCube

I think they have 2 advantages depending how you look at it. The optics are a huge improvement to what's out there in most cases. The spectrum manipulation is nice but imo a little over done that may be confusing to newer growers. If the price falls in the middle it's promising. The deal breaker for me is actually one of the benefits of this fixture and that's the optics. I would rather have more diodes spread more evenly than loose efficiency trying to use less diodes. But look at the market 90% of the LEDs sold right now would benefit from these optics and I think that's what they are going for.

Nothing they could use would be new. It's all been used before. Spectrum mixing lights already exist. I've asked a few people that own them, they say its gimmicky, and that you need all colors cranked up full for the light to be usable. They are just a more complex version of the veg and bloom switch led lights.

Ace9137

Ace9137

I had a look at their site, the magnification is something that is offered in the cob market. Pretty much the same thing with pricing, over priced, and gadgetry. @Aqua Man , I appreciate the video, it only convinces me that when the LED market crashes I will be getting the best deals ever.

Mewzette

Mewzette

I want to see an actual grow with these lights. Not theories or "claims" about spectrum, output, turning lead into gold. I am a grower of many different plants indoor and out for over 40 years. I have read much bs from many "experts" who have ended up burning consumers financially, me being one of them. Tired of shoddy construction, parts, especially from knock off Chinese companies. And I think it is crap that a forum would ban someone for asking honest questions just because they are skeptical.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nothing they could use would be new. It's all been used before. Spectrum mixing lights already exist. I've asked a few people that own them, they say its gimmicky, and that you need all colors cranked up full for the light to be usable. They are just a more complex version of the veg and bloom switch led lights.
Idk man those optics are pretty beast and new. I just prefer more diodes with no optics

BigCube

BigCube

No doubt optics have been around forever but not all created equal is what I'm saying.

Some people think lenses actually increase the amount of light output or something.

All optics do is concentrate or spread out the light. Might help distribute the par more evenly amongst the footprint. But only if they've built it right, and what can be achieved by using optics isn't worth the mark up.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Some people think lenses actually increase the amount of light output or something.

All optics do is concentrate or spread out the light. Might help distribute the par more evenly amongst the footprint. But only if they've built it right, and what can be achieved by using optics isn't worth the mark up.
I agree. However with similar fixtures with a lower number of diodes light spread is the most important aspect. No matter what fixture you use light spread is important. I prefer more diodes spread out to achieve the even light spread while not reducing efficiency. For the smaller box type led units I would rather loose some efficiency for even light spread. Many ways to skin a cat.

az2000

az2000

Nothing they could use would be new. It's all been used before.

Using patents? Is that new? How many grow-light brands have patented aspects of what they sell? (I've never seen it. But, I haven't been paying attention for 3-4 years.). Lenses and adjustable spectrum have been around for years. Sometimes patents have a trolly nature (more value in potential litigation than anything unique). That would concern me (if my purchase were supporting an uncompetitive trend in the industry)?

I mean, if angle of coverage were important, why not spread the diodes out? Why concentrate them and then incur the loss of a lens (and distance loss) to put the light where you really want it? Just don't concentrate the diodes? That can't be patented -- so it's done a different way that can?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Using patents? Is that new? How many grow-light brands have patented aspects of what they sell? (I've never seen it. But, I haven't been paying attention for 3-4 years.). Lenses and adjustable spectrum have been around for years. Sometimes patents have a trolly nature (more value in potential litigation than anything unique). That would concern me (if my purchase were supporting an uncompetitive trend in the industry)?

I mean, if angle of coverage were important, why not spread the diodes out? Why concentrate them and then incur the loss of a lens (and distance loss) to put the light where you really want it? Just don't concentrate the diodes? That can't be patented -- so it's done a different way that can?
Well said and yet look at the market. 90% of led fixtures are compact and would benefit from the optics. Ironic isn't it.

Ace9137

Ace9137

I agree. However with similar fixtures with a lower number of diodes light spread is the most important aspect. No matter what fixture you use light spread is important. I prefer more diodes spread out to achieve the even light spread while not reducing efficiency. For the smaller box type led units I would rather loose some efficiency for even light spread. Many ways to skin a cat.
I agree, LED's and its relative tech has the problem of hot spots. What I find the most annoying is the "full spectrum" range, instead of putting in IR or UV, focus on the spectrum's that plants actually use, with a decent spread and penetration as well as easily utilized light absorption for the plant(s). I do like the part about mimicking sunrise and sunset, those are very awesome and easily missed concepts.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I agree, LED's and its relative tech has the problem of hot spots. What I find the most annoying is the "full spectrum" range, instead of putting in IR or UV, focus on the spectrum's that plants actually use, with a decent spread and penetration as well as easily utilized light absorption for the plant(s). I do like the part about mimicking sunrise and sunset, those are very awesome and easily missed concepts.
I don't buy into the sunrise sunset stuff for the simple fact the spectrum and intensity change throughout the day. I can't see a benefit to this other than possible power saving and being able to run a peak intensity higher than otherwise. That's a whole nother discussion. I have thought about the impact of running various intensities peaking and dropping during the lights on and the impact it may have but have done nothing to try to find out.

Ace9137

Ace9137

I don't buy into the sunrise sunset stuff for the simple fact the spectrum and intensity change throughout the day. I can't see a benefit to this other than possible power saving and being able to run a peak intensity higher than otherwise. That's a whole nother discussion. I have thought about the impact of running various intensities peaking and dropping during the lights on and the impact it may have but have done nothing to try to find out.
It still shows that thought was put into it, spectrum variance can have impact on a grow, going to a much more abundant red spectrum in the last few weeks of flower has wonderful results, still length and intensity would still lead to a better yield.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It still shows that thought was put into it, spectrum variance can have impact on a grow, going to a much more abundant red spectrum in the last few weeks of flower has wonderful results, still length and intensity would still lead to a better yield.
Yeah I like seeing that. It may not be new but it's a positive in my view

az2000

az2000

Well said and yet look at the market. 90% of led fixtures are compact and would benefit from the optics. Ironic isn't it.

I debated commenting precisely because of that. I don't want to be unkind to a forum sponsor. Considering how BS-fortified the LED grow-light market has been for a decade -- and the vast majority of LED purchasers like agent Moulder on the x-files (they *want* to believe), what do my thoughts matter?

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can't change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference."

A few days ago you remarked "why do I even get involved in these threads?" Isn't it true? The tech is fun. But, the proprietary/team nature of it isn't. (Just a few posts earlier you were speaking of the real possibility of being banned for going against the team.). In the end it's not going to make a whit of difference. If someone doesn't buy these lights, they'll buy something else. If this stuff isn't fully-fortified, most of the alternatives are.

I'm going back to my household LED lightbulbs now. Home Depot and a hacksaw.

Latest posts

Top Bottom