• Start date
  • Tagged users None
ScynceLED

ScynceLED

Scynce.Head
Supporter
Hello thcfarmer we are glad to be apart of the community 🙂

WHO WE ARE
The team at Scynce (sci-ence) has developed a new breed of indoor and greenhouse lighting that is challenging the status quo. Our focus is on better yields instead of only on power savings. With over two decades of automobile, marine, military, architectural and theatrical LED experience, we are excited to share with you the next generation of horticulture lighting solutions.

THE MOJO BEHIND OUR DOJO
With the rapid & inevitable decriminalization of cannabis throughout North America, new grid-burdening cultivations are coming online every day. Regulators have already begun initiating and tightening efficiency standards, cementing the inevitable move to LED for commercial operations. This comes at a unique nexus where LED technology has come far enough along to directly compete with traditional “tried and true” lighting solutions…at least in terms of delivering proper light energy across the top surface of a grow canopy and producing similar results for flowering.

We believe the next evolution in LED grow lights will be the utilization of optical technologies. These optics will focus and extend light energy down through the entire growing area, promoting healthy growth from roots to canopy.

This breakthrough combined with tunable spectrums, energy savings and a reduction in heat abatement will finally bring about the forthcoming LED revolution in horticulture.
Scynce (sci-ence) has spent over 3 years under heavy R&D developing and securing patents around multiple optical (lens) solutions, smart power and wireless digital spectrum tunability. Officially launched to market in 2018 and led by a team who previously disrupted a related LED market segment, Scynce is uniquely positioned to become the commercial grow light leader over the next 5 years.

ScynceLED

ScynceLED

Scynce.Head
Supporter
LEDs don't work ... or do they? The secret here are patented optics that guarantee even light intensity is spread across the canopy surface.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Let's see some specs of components and overall fixture, comparisons against some real competition (not florescent) efficiency ratings, and warranty. I hear a lot of claims and nothing backing it up. Who are these leading scientists and their credentials?

I'm not trying to be difficult but as always I'm skeptical of claims without validation.

B

Burned Haze

Pop me a light and i’ll Compete it against all the major competitors if you ever wanted a tester/compare journal ( I do COB,HLG AND OSRAM led’s) cause from your spectrums your showing and how it’s presented and shown, bring it and actions speak more than words towards the masses .

just because your meter shows a lot or it will do beat other lights (people want to see compares of lights or user reviews ), doesn’t mean it will beat or bring in more yields and think in masse amount of lights , if that light is bringing more heat vs the competition, That just makes issues on a LP ON just choosing a better light because they need to justify less a/c and less btu for their room ( look at so many of these grows where it must be led’s And it’s 100-1000 lights or more, in high climates )

Not trying to be negative in any way. Just saying ( show the math or a compare or someone who’s using your products in a grow)
Not just paid grows sayings “it’s amazing”, that’s not a review . once people see from people who actually bought it, more believable on the choice and review score ( at least for me )

Anyways your tech’s look cool and very well done video’s , keep it up and love seeing tech like this coming in the market!

Welcome!!! Do you have a website or did I miss that.?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just did some quick searching on this. I still have no idea what diodes are used or specs on components etc.

If light spread is what your all about they seem legit judging from what I have seen. As for the quality??? Hopefully we get some answers on specs and components.

This light spread comes at a cost like other optics the overall output is reduced.

Not for me but for someone very height limited it would make sense.

Providing quality is not an issue and the reduced efficiency is not an issue I could see these optics making it ideal for small tents just because of its light spread. I mean there are other ways to skin this cat but for someone looking not to do a bunch of diy and calculations.... There is a market for this.

Last edited:
visajoe1

visajoe1

The light spread is what I see as potentially novel here, allowing light to penetrate canopies more strongly at an angle vs vertical. However, folks may want to see it demonstrated somehow to be convinced. Furthermore, someone could develop an aftermarket lens that could create the same/similar light spread.

The computer stuff is applying existing technology and useful to larger scale setups or the hobbyist that wants to create daylight spectrums in their grow space. I've read about some folks writing their own programs on raspberry pi's that mimic real sun intensity, but they cant change spectrums.

ScynceLED

ScynceLED

Scynce.Head
Supporter
Just did some quick searching on this. I still have no idea what diodes are used or specs on components etc.

If light spread is what your all about they seem legit judging from what I have seen. As for the quality??? Hopefully we get some answers on specs and components.

This light spread comes at a cost like other optics the overall output is reduced.

Not for me but for someone very height limited it would make sense.

Providing quality is not an issue and the reduced efficiency is not an issue I could see these optics making it ideal for small tents just because of its light spread. I mean there are other ways to skin this cat but for someone looking not to do a bunch of diy and calculations.... There is a market for this.

Wow, lot's of good questions here. My apologies in advance as this might get a little lengthy.

1.) We are still a relatively new company (R&D started in 2014, patents filed in 2016, launched to market in late 2017) but our roots come from our 10 year reign in the automotive/marine industry (www.rigidindustries.com) going back to the early 2,000's.

2.) Diode selection isn't based on what the manufacturers tell us as it normally doesn't check out. Each week we are testing new chips in our in-house sphere and goniospectrophotometer. We are nimble enough to never build more than 500 lights without re-evaluating what chips we should go with on the next run. Today, we use Osram (Duris & Oslon) 5050 top bins for our whites (2700k & 6500K) and reds (660 & 720nm). We are currently testing new Cree, Luminous & Lumileds parts, which show potential to outperform everything in the market. If they pass our in-house testing and in-field testing then we swap them into the next build. Since we previously bought 100's millions of chips over the past 2 decades we get first access to new parts at the best prices possible.

3.) We knew optics were important when we pioneered the use of them on LEDs in the automotive industry 15 years ago. We brought this knowledge and science to horticulture and recently I found this reference document from Cree that is 3 years old (see page 17 ---> ). Here's the amazing part, the lights compared show that the LED fixture without optics is 13.3% more efficient than the one with optics. However, when looking at average PPFD over a 4x4 area, the fixture with optics delivered a 26% higher average. The moral of the story is that the efficiency of a light shouldn't be the only metric we make decisions by. Where the proverbial rubber meets the road is in PPFD readings at and below the canopy. I wish I could say that the data from this LED manufacturer pushed us into designing lights with optics. Alas, it did not, but here's more 3rd party data that the proof is in the pudding. Engine level horsepower means nothing if you can't get that power through your tires to the road. Light delivery is a key element to the future science of cannabis cultivation.

4.) These lights are completely sealed and can be cleaned with standard products that growers know and trust, such as ZeroTol:

5.) Spectrum tuning is an interesting topic. It's true that we are one of the only wireless spectrum tunable lights yet I am well aware that the benefits to this aren't fully proven yet. Everything comes down to yield (either in weight or better lab results) otherwise it really doesn't matter. There is early evidence that investing in technology today that has spectrum tuning capabilities will pay off in the long run. Here's non-published scientific analysis on reds at the end of the flowering cycle: https://www.maximumyield.com/how-minerals-and-light-affect-terpene-production/2/17531

6.) There have been many successes across our 300+ installations to date, but many are closed lip. If you search IG for #scynceled or #scyncegrown you will see many success stories. Some of our more respected & visible grow/test partners across different grow styles and sizes are:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

ScynceLED

ScynceLED

Scynce.Head
Supporter
The light spread is what I see as potentially novel here, allowing light to penetrate canopies more strongly at an angle vs vertical. However, folks may want to see it demonstrated somehow to be convinced. Furthermore, someone could develop an aftermarket lens that could create the same/similar light spread.

The computer stuff is applying existing technology and useful to larger scale setups or the hobbyist that wants to create daylight spectrums in their grow space. I've read about some folks writing their own programs on raspberry pi's that mimic real sun intensity, but they cant change spectrums.

For sure the optics are one of the key benefits and differentiators to how we are focusing on increasing yields. Spectrum tuning is another. The optics can't be re-created, legally, as they are protected in the US and Canada under patents: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...9,943,040.PN.&OS=PN/9,943,040&RS=PN/9,943,040

ScynceLED

ScynceLED

Scynce.Head
Supporter
Pop me a light and i’ll Compete it against all the major competitors if you ever wanted a tester/compare journal ( I do COB,HLG AND OSRAM led’s) cause from your spectrums your showing and how it’s presented and shown, bring it and actions speak more than words towards the masses .

just because your meter shows a lot or it will do beat other lights (people want to see compares of lights or user reviews ), doesn’t mean it will beat or bring in more yields and think in masse amount of lights , if that light is bringing more heat vs the competition, That just makes issues on a LP ON just choosing a better light because they need to justify less a/c and less btu for their room ( look at so many of these grows where it must be led’s And it’s 100-1000 lights or more, in high climates )

Not trying to be negative in any way. Just saying ( show the math or a compare or someone who’s using your products in a grow)
Not just paid grows sayings “it’s amazing”, that’s not a review . once people see from people who actually bought it, more believable on the choice and review score ( at least for me )

Anyways your tech’s look cool and very well done video’s , keep it up and love seeing tech like this coming in the market!

Please see my (lengthy) response to Aqua Man as it should answer most of your questions. If you want to be considered for our Key Partner test grow program, please reach out to: [email protected] Thanks!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

For sure the optics are one of the key benefits and differentiators to how we are focusing on increasing yields. Spectrum tuning is another. The optics can't be re-created, legally, as they are protected in the US and Canada under patents: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=9,943,040.PN.&OS=PN/9,943,040&RS=PN/9,943,040
China is where the worry is... I'm a big believer that r&d should be supported. I'm not a fan of the Chinese knock offs for this reason. Not that some aren't decent but stealing tech just rubs me wrong.

Ace9137

Ace9137

Wow, lot's of good questions here. My apologies in advance as this might get a little lengthy.

1.) We are still a relatively new company (R&D started in 2014, patents filed in 2016, launched to market in late 2017) but our roots come from our 10 year reign in the automotive/marine industry (www.rigidindustries.com) going back to the early 2,000's.

2.) Diode selection isn't based on what the manufacturers tell us as it normally doesn't check out. Each week we are testing new chips in our in-house sphere and goniospectrophotometer. We are nimble enough to never build more than 500 lights without re-evaluating what chips we should go with on the next run. Today, we use Osram (Duris & Oslon) 5050 top bins for our whites (2700k & 6500K) and reds (660 & 720nm). We are currently testing new Cree, Luminous & Lumileds parts, which show potential to outperform everything in the market. If they pass our in-house testing and in-field testing then we swap them into the next build. Since we previously bought 100's millions of chips over the past 2 decades we get first access to new parts at the best prices possible.

3.) We knew optics were important when we pioneered the use of them on LEDs in the automotive industry 15 years ago. We brought this knowledge and science to horticulture and recently I found this reference document from Cree that is 3 years old (see page 17 ---> ). Here's the amazing part, the lights compared show that the LED fixture without optics is 13.3% more efficient than the one with optics. However, when looking at average PPFD over a 4x4 area, the fixture with optics delivered a 26% higher average. The moral of the story is that the efficiency of a light shouldn't be the only metric we make decisions by. Where the proverbial rubber meets the road is in PPFD readings at and below the canopy. I wish I could say that the data from this LED manufacturer pushed us into designing lights with optics. Alas, it did not, but here's more 3rd party data that the proof is in the pudding. Engine level horsepower means nothing if you can't get that power through your tires to the road. Light delivery is a key element to the future science of cannabis cultivation.

4.) These lights are completely sealed and can be cleaned with standard products that growers know and trust, such as ZeroTol:

5.) Spectrum tuning is an interesting topic. It's true that we are one of the only wireless spectrum tunable lights yet I am well aware that the benefits to this aren't fully proven yet. Everything comes down to yield (either in weight or better lab results) otherwise it really doesn't matter. There is early evidence that investing in technology today that has spectrum tuning capabilities will pay off in the long run. Here's non-published scientific analysis on reds at the end of the flowering cycle: https://www.maximumyield.com/how-minerals-and-light-affect-terpene-production/2/17531

6.) There have been many successes across our 300+ installations to date, but many are closed lip. If you search IG for #scynceled or #scyncegrown you will see many success stories. Some of our more respected & visible grow/test partners across different grow styles and sizes are:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
1) there is a HUGE difference between lights for vehicles and lights for growing.
2)
if you are using "Science", you would be going by this and not the market.
3)Yet, no demonstration, no proof, only claims.
4)Laughing....just making the point that really no "science" here, just opinion.
5)"Here's non-published scientific analysis on reds at the end of the flowering cycle: https://www.maximumyield.com/how-minerals-and-light-affect-terpene-production/2/17531"<<<<<<This is not "science"...this called an opinion piece. Maybe if the document was from Phillips, or science direct I could get on board.

My points, the reason that I am saying anything that sounds like being an A-hole, may be on the matter of I am a consumer, which means, one day I will invest. I have no hatred or animosity, it sure does "feel" like your company does not respect the consumer, whether that is true or not is subjective on both parts. Going from one field to another isn't just about making money, most companies fail when they focus on the money instead of the product. I was in sales, I lost my job years ago for telling my boss that our quality is shoddy and needs improvement.....by the way that company is no longer in business. @logic this is not flamming or trolling....I look at these posts, and it just blows my mind that companies get away with this, this why I, as well as others have been duped. Do you care more about the business or do you care about your fellow stoner. Anyways, ban me then, If a company or another can not handle criticism of any form, especially when it is presenting unsubstantiated claims. Instead of talk, show us the results, demonstrate, then make a presentation.........otherwise, if not me, someone else will step up and do the same, will you also ban them?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
1. It's great to see a new company doing R&D in horticulture lighting and I appreciate the response.

2. I'm am no lighting expert but it's good to see that you are looking continually to continually improve quality.

3. I think there are a few considerations that need to be taken into account here.

The number of diodes used and their placement. The higher the number and more spread out the diodes are the less need there is for optics. Now for automotive where this is not feasible and home lighting where compact fixtures desired optics will make a huge difference.

In a grow space where light spread and efficiency are most important a compact fixture with less diodes simply is not a concern to most.

When you are talking 26% (let's be clear this advantage is taken by the difference in ppfd at the outer edges) higher ppfd this is only in comparison to what I consider low budget LEDs on the market that attempt to do a similar fixture with less diodes and more watts through them either without good optic or poorly designed optics. I would say the quantum boards and strips for the most part this would not be the case. As most qb and strip kits would likely out perform your fixture in this area easily since they wouldn't loose 10% of the output while still maintaining full coverage.

Now there is no doubt that your fixture will blow the mars and other smaller preassembled units that use less diodes in a smaller housing out of the water in all areas.

4. Who doesn't like a fixture that is easily cleaned.

5. I'm loving the ability to manipulate spectrum and that's one thing you have a nice advantage on.

6. Being so new it's not easy to show the potential in action and I think you guys are going about it in the right manner. Get out into the communities have these discussions and get some side by sides done.

I haven't see a price tag yet but then again I haven't looked. Personally I feel these lights aren't going to beat out the too dog LEDs.... Yet! But my feeling is they will fill that gap between the other small unit fixtures (blowing them out of the water) and the top led fixtures without optics that still provide great coverage with more diodes and spacing.

Marketing is something I hate so from point of view staying away from claims that are exaggerated or meant to slightly mislead will really help a companies reputation in the industry. I think you have a market and getting out there with the people and showing what it can do is the best form of marketing. Nobody in this industry trusts companies anymore so peer reviewed info is about as important as it gets

Don't make the mistake of misleading info or claims that cannot be validated and hold up to extreme scrutiny. The people in this industry will hang you from it.

Welcome to the farm. Sorry if I seem wary but just peek about and you will see how much BS we have to sift through on the daily from marketing.

BigCube

BigCube

I'll ask what everyone e else wants to ask.. what price range are you aiming for?

The market is already flooded with overpriced led fixtures. None if them out performing cheaper no name options. With the market si saturated, and the stupid markup some manufacturers put I their lights, what you're making would have to be much better than what's already out there.

There are only so many viable options for components, nothing you use would be new, or previously unavailable. It would just be a remake of something already available.

I just hope you are aiming for a lower price range. Already too much overpriced sub par LEDs out there.

Top Bottom