Irie Seeds "Orange Gasm" under Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..........

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
sshz

sshz

Rather, go up to post #6 and look at my pic from the underneath. You'll see the 2 rows of LED's on each bar. The grey bar in the middle of the 3rd and 4th row is the driver housing, as I stated. So my plan is to add 2 100 CFM's exhaust fans to other areas of the room tomorrow, and I'll move in an 8 inch exhaust fan to replace the 6 inch after the harvest. IF THAT'S NOT ENOUGH, THEN I'LL HAVE TO ADD BOTH THE 6 INCH AND 8 INCH EXHAUST SYSTEM TO THE ROOM. I want the door closed at all times and I want the room in the mid 70's and will do what I have to to make it right. More work for this weary body.

sshz

sshz

Another thing just occurred to me- do 2 rooms, 1 light in each room. Not ideal by any means, but another option to consider. I’ll turn 1 light off for a few hours and see where the temps drop to.

sshz

sshz

The wife said I could use 2 rooms, if I did 3 crops a year instead of 4 and leave Xmas time smell free........lots to think about. One thing I'm pretty sure of though- 2 LED's in a room are creating too much heat.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
The wife said I could use 2 rooms, if I did 3 crops a year instead of 4 and leave Xmas time smell free........lots to think about. One thing I'm pretty sure of though- 2 LED's in a room are creating too much heat.
Ohhhh the compromise. Why do you think that 85 is too hot for the plants?

sshz

sshz

Well, I do 4 indoor crops a year. My winter crops are always better. The rooms are cooler and it translates into a better end-product. You can also have more bugs problems if it's too hot, along with more watering (which leads to more humidity) and some other issues. The main reason I switched to LED was to lower heat, it seems to be backfiring. I have lots of options, including adding more ventilation, separating the lights, etc., etc. I want to be able to keep the doors closed in the room(s), so the heat will have to be manageable. I just have to be patient until I can get my 2 rooms harvested this weekend, before being able to deal with it more intelligently and patiently.

I did turn off one of the light off and the temps fell around 3 degrees. My thoughts right now would be to switch to an 8 inch exhaust fan, along with installing two 100 cfm inline fans outward directly above each light. If this doesn't work, I'll probably have to separate the lights into 2 rooms.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Well, I do 4 indoor crops a year. My winter crops are always better. The rooms are cooler and it translates into a better end-product. You can also have more bugs problems if it's too hot, along with more watering (which leads to more humidity) and some other issues. The main reason I switched to LED was to lower heat, it seems to be backfiring. I have lots of options, including adding more ventilation, separating the lights, etc., etc. I want to be able to keep the doors closed in the room(s), so the heat will have to be manageable. I just have to be patient until I can get my 2 rooms harvested this weekend, before being able to deal with it more intelligently and patiently.

I did turn off one of the light off and the temps fell around 3 degrees. My thoughts right now would be to switch to an 8 inch exhaust fan, along with installing two 100 cfm inline fans outward directly above each light. If this doesn't work, I'll probably have to separate the lights into 2 rooms.
I understand. That would be a good option other than adding an AC. My tent runs a bit on the hotter side but I think I make up for it with the airflow. As long as your leaf zone temp is cooler you shouldn’t have any issues. You will get it under control shortly. Along for the ride.
Burnz

Anthem

Anthem

SSHZ,
With the LED's you want the room temperature to be higher than HPS. I am not sure if you came from HPS but while a lot of people try to keep room temperatures around 78 for HPS I try to keep the grow room at like 82 or 83 with LEDs. I found some helpful information on you tube from Black Dog LED about the temperature thing. Good luck with the grow. You have some nice hardware that should help you get some great end product!!!!

sshz

sshz

Thanks Anthem, I'll check it out. And yes, I was shooting for 78 degrees, which is where i was at with my HPS's........

Anthem

Anthem

Rather, go up to post #6 and look at my pic from the underneath. You'll see the 2 rows of LED's on each bar. The grey bar in the middle of the 3rd and 4th row is the driver housing, as I stated. So my plan is to add 2 100 CFM's exhaust fans to other areas of the room tomorrow, and I'll move in an 8 inch exhaust fan to replace the 6 inch after the harvest. IF THAT'S NOT ENOUGH, THEN I'LL HAVE TO ADD BOTH THE 6 INCH AND 8 INCH EXHAUST SYSTEM TO THE ROOM. I want the door closed at all times and I want the room in the mid 70's and will do what I have to to make it right. More work for this weary body.
I was interested in the gray piece in between the 2 rows of leds on each bar. Do you know if they are some sort of a light or just part of the mounting system?

sshz

sshz

It appears to be part of the mounting system, as there's no LED's in that direct area. I do see some screws along the bar there so it has to be for structure/support I imagine.

Regarding your recommendation, you are correct sir. Numerous places are recommending 82 to 85 degrees, Black Dog states 85 degrees is ideal. Here is a summary per Black Dog for those wish to read it:

I feel a lot better now, just switching from an 6 inch to an 8 inch should be enough to lower the temp's to the proper range. Now I have to consider adding CO2, which I was hoping not to bother with.

Anthem

Anthem

Thanks Anthem, I'll check it out. And yes, I was shooting for 78 degrees, which is where i was at with my HPS's........
Once you get into flower, I have found with the 1650''s they like to be about 12 to 18" away from the plant at 100 percent of intensity. Also found that having a control is pretty much a must to control the light intensity through out the grow. I am only aware of 2 controls for the gavita lights. One being the gavita one that I am not crazy about because it will not control much other than fans and lights. I am using the trolmaster control, kind of cool because you can just buy modules to do what you want. Also you have to get E adaptors for the fixtures to work with a controller.
One more item, with those lights you are probably going to want to consider CO2 to take full advantage of the lights. So your overheating issue might become a window AC project and CO2 and sealing up the room.
The lights if they are about the same as the 1650 should be able to flower a 5' x 5' or close to it area. I am running them at 5' x 4 1/2' with no problems. Getting 2 to 2 3/4 per light.

Anthem

Anthem

It appears to be part of the mounting system, as there's no LED's in that direct area. I do see some screws along the bar there so it has to be for structure/support I imagine.

Regarding your recommendation, you are correct sir. Numerous places are recommending 82 to 85 degrees, Black Dog states 85 degrees is ideal. Here is a summary per Black Dog for those wish to read it:

I feel a lot better now, just switching from an 6 inch to an 8 inch should be enough to lower the temp's to the proper range. Now I have to consider adding CO2, which I was hoping not to bother with.
The CO2 thing is actually pretty simple once you get it set up. I have used window units and they work get. I really do not bother with adding all kinds of seals to the door. with 4 lights in a room. I can usually get 2 weeks out of 20 pound bottle of CO2. For me CO2 is like 15 bucks a fill, so the cost once you get it set up is a minimum. And there is actually a benefit because when you are working in the room with lights on you can kind of tell the health of the grow by the CO2 solenoid going off. Once they really getting going in flower they start to eat CO2 at a faster rate.

sshz

sshz

I did the CO2 thing for many years........refilling the tanks became a real pain in the ass. The extra heat from the burner didn't help either. If I can run enough ventilation thru the room, I'm hoping to avoid that additional work and expense.

Gavita recommends 18 inches in flowering, I'm currently at 42 inches with the sprouts and they seem like they're growing nicely.

And an A/C unit is out of the question as it's in the basement and 3 of the 4 walls are poured cement- basically sub-ground. I have 3 grow rooms if needed so I can always separate the lights to individual rooms if necessary, but I was hoping not to have to do that. The first crop will be a crap shoot I'm imagining, learning as I go along. I have time to make further decisions on way or another.

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

So, just a quick update. I haven't spent much time in this room, as I've been harvesting the Light Speed and LemonOG Haze X Cookies and doing a thorough cleaning of the 2 other rooms. The room I've used for the last 20 years is now being converted to storage, so the knockdown took a while to get it back in shape. That rooms exhaust fan (a 10 incher, not 8 incher like I previously thought) will now be placed in the Gavita room to help withdrawal some of the heat. The room runs around 84 degrees when the door is left open and between 87-87.5 with the door closed. I'm hoping the bigger exhaust fan will lower temps a few more degrees.

Eight days in, the plants look really nice. I'll put a pic up later today. Only issue with these lights, and I hear it all the time- is the constant bumping of the head on them. You forget about them easily and they're so dam big- around 44 inches by 43 inches. But, I really like them so far. Specifically, they start up right away, a 30% electricity savings for me, no more purchasing 1000 watt HPS bulbs twice a year, they put off a more normal white light rather than the yellow HPS, strong and even coverage underneath the light, and I think I'm a bit ahead plant size wise than I would have been under HPS.

I've only been feeding them Cal/Mag 2-0-0 until yesterday (I use an R.O. device to strip my water) when I gave them 1 tablespoon of 3-2-4 veg fertilizer too, raising the ppm to 200. I've been watering every 3 days I think.

It seems to me more and more the key to success under LED's is a uniform canopy. I've listened to Rasta Jeff's podcast about the strain 4X and he said they liked to be topped and can withstand a lot of manipulation. I'll pinch the top off around day 20, grow them another 10 days and then begin flowering. I bought some support netting but i haven't put it up.

I'm looking at another Irie Seeds strain for next time- Bepop.

sshz

sshz

11 days in veg......both sides of the room are doing really nicedly.

IMG 0095
IMG 0096

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

You do beautiful things brother! My LEDs that I picked up this year for flowering run way hotter than I expected. I am in the lower 80s, but I have read the Black Dog article before and that makes me feel a little bit better haha. I wish you well with this run! Positive vibes...

~nugzz

sshz

sshz

If you enlarge the pic, you’ll see the room is around 84 degrees I believe......when I leave The door open, it gets down to 83. Door closed, maybe 85-86.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom