Is curing in jars bullshit and a way to justify wrongly dryd buds

• Thread starter Dai
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Stkyfngaz

Stkyfngaz

After reading thru 7 pages in this thread left me pondering the way I feed my cannabis. It took some time for the good info to start rolling in, not saying there wasn't good advice in the earlier pages. But sorting threw the BS, like I said left me smh ! I've been growing for maybe close to 3 decades and always listen to advice from all legitimate farmers, it's always shit ta learn. All growers have there own way of getting quality buds in they joints myself included ( insert plug ) shhit everyone who smokes my shit always commend the fragrance and tastes being equivalent. With all that being said, flush yo shit at least 7 days, dry it properly, and for heavens sakes try the mfn mason jars for about 2-4 week sweat and enjoy you eve, and if you're like me you break up your fresh with friskars in hand you'll end up like ya boy "Stkyfingaz" 😎

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The grassy/hay taste comes from the Chlorophyll. The more chlorophyll, the more of a hay taste. Slow drying degrades the chlorophyll, as does jar-ing for a few weeks when nearly dried. The more nitrogen that you use, to a degree, the more chlorophyll you will probably see. I think the idea is to keep the nitrogen levels lower during flowering, but not absent. Plants often respond to nitrogen by increasing foliage and chlorophyll production. It is necessary for bud growth as well, since buds are just a different type of leaves. My goal was to have enough nitrogen to keep the bud production rolling, but not so much that I am seeing excessive greening or chlorophyll production. Using the degree of yellowing in the fan and auxiliary leaves gives me an idea of the overall nitrogen levels avail to the plants. A PPM meter also works, but shows everything combined and doesn't help with individual nutrient levels.
At least in my opinion.

Aksarben

Aksarben

My wife struggles with pain as a constant. Now, the Tylenol is not helping. Is there any particular strain I should look at for 1. Pain 2. NON-sedative. ? She wants to be able to take cannabis, but does not want to be going to bed or feel "zombie" from consuming cannabis so I wondered if there is any particular strain that works for pain and no sleepiness?
We have available: Phantom OG, OG Kush, Zkittlez, Bubbleious, Royal Creamatic, Wipeout Express, Cream Cookies. In the process (growing) is Northern Lights, Jack Herer, HWS High Density Auto, Purple Kush CBD 1:1 Auto, Mohan Ram Auto (actually these are all auto flower).
Any of these give pain relief without too much sleep time?

She believes it is muscle pain and abuse from earlier over exercising, and now she's paying for it. Just pain relief and ability to go on with the day... that is the quest.

Aksarben

Aksarben

Jimster... Great info you have and share!
Pictures of a recent harvest of my Zkittlez Autoflower plant. First time grower, and have pretty much used Autoflower growing in different strains. There is a lot of yellow showing, and having used Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro from the beginning on through the formation of flowering, I highly doubt any nitrogen deficiency, just normal yellowing of old, near their end of life, leaves.

20190714 202032 Large

20190714 202052 Large

Ace9137

Ace9137

I use Dyna gro myself, I always noticed that bloom will decrease in usage throughout the flower cycle. With that thought in mind, I have been using foliage pro throughout my grows now, it is pretty amazing that I do not need a two part solution(even though I swear by the ALMIGHTY CAL-MAG!), I will use up my bloom nutes and probably just use foliage pro only(plus cal-mag).

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Dont cure it if you dont want to.
Unless you actually try other ways, how would you even know?

After I cut down, I remove all leaf that isn't covered I crystal. Then I hang it for 8 to 10 days. After the outside is crispy and seemingly dry. I put it in a jar and sweat it.

Opening the jar and moving the buds around twice a day let's the moisture out and keeps the buds from drying out too fast. A jar isn't needed. So.e people use buckets. Some use bags. Some savages just hang it and smoke it.

I've done all of them. And I can tell you (and anyone else who's actually done it will too) that the bud does get better as it cures. It tastes better every day, up till about 2 weeks. Then it doesn't change much.
Ok I but my bud in jars and they don’t smell spices skunk anymore .just put my last dried in jars, had some two weeks and it just smells odd , not mold just not grasses. Just not anything like it was before I placed In jars
Happy growing

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Ok I but my bud in jars and they don’t smell spices skunk anymore .just put my last dried in jars, had some two weeks and it just smells odd , not mold just not grasses. Just not anything like it was before I placed In jars
Happy growing
Buds need to be completely dry to the extent said buds can be placed in mason jars.
In my opinion your buds were not completely dry when placed in mason jars. Been there done That , I’ve done the exactly same thing.

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Buds need to be completely dry to the extent said buds can be placed in mason jars.
In my opinion your buds were not completely dry when placed in mason jars. Been there done That , I’ve done the exactly same thing.
They were really dry.kinda crumble like dry. I am really careful about them being dry because
So how do I fix it?
Thx 😉
Happy growing

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The grassy/hay taste comes from the Chlorophyll. The more chlorophyll, the more of a hay taste. Slow drying degrades the chlorophyll, as does jar-ing for a few weeks when nearly dried. The more nitrogen that you use, to a degree, the more chlorophyll you will probably see. I think the idea is to keep the nitrogen levels lower during flowering, but not absent. Plants often respond to nitrogen by increasing foliage and chlorophyll production. It is necessary for bud growth as well, since buds are just a different type of leaves. My goal was to have enough nitrogen to keep the bud production rolling, but not so much that I am seeing excessive greening or chlorophyll production. Using the degree of yellowing in the fan and auxiliary leaves gives me an idea of the overall nitrogen levels avail to the plants. A PPM meter also works, but shows everything combined and doesn't help with individual nutrient levels.
At least in my opinion.

I harvest plants all the time still green. No fade but a nice medium green and the buds taste good right after the initial dry time before jarring.

I think it is more strain related. Hazes for example get much smoother and tastier with a good long cure. Fruity hybrids can taste real good right away.

Maybe its overfeeding that causes the need to fade or flush and wait longer for smooth smoke.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Happy growing

Proper “burping” or opening the jars and mixing the buds around to let the moisture and gasses out is necessary. More often at first and needed less over time.

Leaving buds in the jar without burping can mold them.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

They were really dry.kinda crumble like dry. I am really careful about them being dry because
So how do I fix it?
Thx 😉
Happy growing

They should still have moisture inside but feel dry outside and when you squish one it should bounce back to shape before jarring.

Then open and even maybe remove them from the jar the first few days. Feel them to be sure they are not wet. If they are i lay them out on a screen a while before putting them back in.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
So how do I fix it?
Thx 😉
Happy growing
What was your drying temp, humidity level and length of drying time before jarring?

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

What was your drying temp, humidity level and length of drying time before jarring?
Temp about 75, low or no humidity, they were in a closet then in a box . Have some in ziplock bags it took about 7 days to dry. I have some in the fridge drying and it still smells great..crazy how the smell can just disappear .
Thx for all info .....just want to fix it...dangit
Happy growing ☺️

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I harvest plants all the time still green. No fade but a nice medium green and the buds taste good right after the initial dry time before jarring.

I think it is more strain related. Hazes for example get much smoother and tastier with a good long cure. Fruity hybrids can taste real good right away.

Maybe its overfeeding that causes the need to fade or flush and wait longer for smooth smoke.
When I jar my buds, they are dry and ready to smoke. If they need burping, they might not be quite dry enough although I like to check them after a few days to make sure that they didn't get too damp from the excess moisture hiding in the stems. I have been trimming for the last week and have buds drying and some thatr have been dried but not jarred. None of these are aged and are great to smoke as they are. Drying slowly seems to be the biggest factor IMHO. After jarring, the buds DO change color and taste, as well as smell, but this is not quite the same as a normal "cure" in the sense that it is broken down by anaerobic activity or fermented. I think it is all residual enzyme activity that continues as long as there is enough moisture to support it, which doesnn't need to be much and much less than the amount that would support mold.
So... freshly dried buds are great, although when jarred, they will smoothen out a little and the taste/smell will usually mellow as well. I have always sworn that the buds seem to improve after about 2 weeks of drying and jarring, but haven't seen anything scientific to show it. I always thought that more active THC was available after it dried and aged, but it is only my opinion until I can find some type of proof.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
What about putting buds into gallon freezer Zip-Lock bags?
I store mine in Zip Locks until they get to the proper drying degree. Ziplocks and plastic bags aren't totally airtight and you will lose a little water and stuff over time. Glass is totally vapor proof, which is why I like it. Ziploks are fine but will allow things to dry out after a while... plus the contents dry much faster because they have much more surface area exposed to air as opposed to a packed glass jar. Either is great, but I recommend a jar for long term storage and preservation.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Happy growing
Sometimes it takes more than two weeks for the flavor and smell to develop. I agree with the comment about the buds possibly being too damp when jarred. If you smell ANY trace of ammonia, open the jar and let it dry out. The ammonia is actually a type of curing, but the result will be more like tobacco than buds, with a strong taste. This is how a lot of the buds used to be like in the 60s and 70s. The plants were partially dried and then baled up. During the delivery trip, the buds inside the bales sweated and fermented, giving the golden or brownish colored buds of the time.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

If flushing removes nothing, then why does it make a difference to the colour of the ash?
I just burned some sugar leaf of a potted plant, soil mix, no flush and burned nice white ash. Taste is of course lacking having been chopped a week ago.
20190730 000050

This is trim, no flush, 3 day hot dry, 4 days in the jar. In those 4 days the hay/chlorophyll smell has lessened. Same with the flower which is getting a sweeter smell. I'll give it a try next weekend. Back in the day I hung it by the garage rafters and as soon as it was dry we started to smoke. Since I started jarring the taste has improved. Of course drying in a controled environment with lower temps has also given me better taste. This was from only 6 lower branches of a 2 mo old plant that flowered in May, outside. I didn't feel it worth running the A/C 24/7.

Never grown hydro so can't say on flushing those but natural organic rich soil, not force fed doesn't need flushing but jarring, slowly removing moisture seems to help the taste. But, do what works for you. In the end that's all that matters. 😉

Last edited:
Ace9137

Ace9137

BTW, that frickin sugar leaf f'ed me up. Feeling no pain. Hum, I think that's why I grow it!
I had my buddy over a few days ago and we were smoking a cone, as good manners and hospitality dictate I gave him the first hit, or green hit. He toked it up I hit it, as my girlfriend hit it, he looked at me and said, "DUDE! I am already feeling it hit!", he was high on the first hit, it is always rewarding to know that you grew a good crop, and reaping the benefits is just awesome!

Top Bottom