Is curing in jars bullshit and a way to justify wrongly dryd buds

• Thread starter Dai
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aksarben

Aksarben

What about adding CO2 to the jar? I have some Auto OG Kush in 2 jars and I cracked the lid a bit and introduced CO2 from our Soda Stream carbonator. Good or bad idea?

Ace9137

Ace9137

What about adding CO2 to the jar? I have some Auto OG Kush in 2 jars and I cracked the lid a bit and introduced CO2 from our Soda Stream carbonator. Good or bad idea?
I doubt it would matter. The plant is dead, Earth's atmosphere is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 0.9% argon, and 0.03% carbon dioxide with very small percentages of other elements. My observation is that when you put your weed in jars, it is for preservation, and to a small degree, to remove any excess water or moisture from the center of the flower, sweating it or mellowing. The only reason that you have air exchange is to remove residual moisture when it comes to the surface of the flower. A lot of people thinks that buds that are harsh or do not burn right is from "what is in the plant" nutrient wise, it is just moisture or to much of, and yes lack of moisture can have the same effect, the balance is preference. Your bud does not get better as far as high goes, it is taste and quality that helps. Most street weed doesn't go through this practice at all, even dispensaries don't do full cures. CO2 frozen(dry ice), is great for extraction, I just doubt it would be a process good for drying something slowly.

Aksarben

Aksarben

Thanks for that Ace. The buds were already dried for around 10 days in our spare bathroom (no windows) with a very small fan stirring the air to help with air circulation. Just thought maybe CO2 would be good idea to help repvent molding in the jar. Like I say, I am brand new grower and until last Christmas , where Michigan became legal for Rec, I have never even had marijuana before. Now that I have read MUCH on the internet and Jack Herer's book "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" I am a very staunch supporter of cannabis in any form. It is REALLY sad that it was banned as schedule 1 (still is Federally) all these years from 1937. Hope national prohibition ends soon. Meanwhile, just curious if the CO2 would prevent any issues of mold happening. Don't want that to happen.

To get more bud into the jars, what if you ground it first in one of the grinders I have? I bought a PAX3 that came with a nice grinder and I have a small grinder that is only 2 piece and very sharp teeth. Makes for a very fine grind. Looks like if the weed is dry enough, grind the weed and use less jars.

Ace9137

Ace9137

Thanks for that Ace. The buds were already dried for around 10 days in our spare bathroom (no windows) with a very small fan stirring the air to help with air circulation. Just thought maybe CO2 would be good idea to help repvent molding in the jar. Like I say, I am brand new grower and until last Christmas , where Michigan became legal for Rec, I have never even had marijuana before. Now that I have read MUCH on the internet and Jack Herer's book "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" I am a very staunch supporter of cannabis in any form. It is REALLY sad that it was banned as schedule 1 (still is Federally) all these years from 1937. Hope national prohibition ends soon. Meanwhile, just curious if the CO2 would prevent any issues of mold happening. Don't want that to happen.

To get more bud into the jars, what if you ground it first in one of the grinders I have? I bought a PAX3 that came with a nice grinder and I have a small grinder that is only 2 piece and very sharp teeth. Makes for a very fine grind. Looks like if the weed is dry enough, grind the weed and use less jars.
well you could grind it up, you would probably end up with really stale and dry weed rather quickly. Cannabis prohibition just breaks my heart when there are more dangerous, if not lethal, drugs out there. I am a cannabis advocate. I believe the prohibition against cannabis is illegal, under the formation of law under circumstantial or non-existent facts. Mostly, if you want cannabis legal everywhere it takes common sense laws that are formed by the people, not some stuffy lawyers that are out of touch with their communities. <<<<<<<Rant over.

BudBogart

BudBogart

I recently watched a video about a commercial operation that packed buds in heat sealed bags puffed full of CO2 for storage.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Find the link, I would really like to see that myself.

I searched my history but can’t find it. I know they were sucking the air out and then replacing it with another gas. Shipping it like a bag of potato chips.
I thought it was co2 they filled it with but I may be wrong. Sorry if I mislead unintentionally.

Ace9137

Ace9137

I searched my history but can’t find it. I know they were sucking the air out and then replacing it with another gas. Shipping it like a bag of potato chips.
I thought it was co2 they filled it with but I may be wrong. Sorry if I mislead unintentionally.
It is okay, just sounded interesting, I may dig around for it tomorrow.

Aksarben

Aksarben

Anything like this?
Actually bagging with nitrogen, purging the air and replacing nitrogen might be the preferred way. They bag salads and other perishable in nitrogen filled bags in the produce section of our grocery stores.

Aksarben

Aksarben

BTW, I work as an Assoc. Winemaker, in the lab, at our winery and right behind me is a 300 lb Nitrogen tank I use for testing membrane filters. It has a regulator attached that lets me start out at around 2 psi and go up from there. Nice for blowing out computers as it is free of any moisture.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I'm sure it was nitrogen, which is pretty much inert, or at least prevents oxidation. Regarding grinding up your weed before jarring it... I would recommend against it strongly. Grinding it breaks up the bud material, which makes it dry much faster and destroying the resin glands tucked away inside the buds. The taste will very quickly dissipate and leave you something that will taste like hay mixed with dirt. The potency will probably be affected as well to some degree, after a while. Jarring the whole bud preserves the bud structure and protects the resin glands and terpene profile, since they dissapate much faster when ground up and turning very dry. I know that you are trying newer ideas, but the slow dry and jar seem to be the most popular method. Of course, noting is wrong with freshly dried buds either

Ace9137

Ace9137

I'm sure it was nitrogen, which is pretty much inert, or at least prevents oxidation. Regarding grinding up your weed before jarring it... I would recommend against it strongly. Grinding it breaks up the bud material, which makes it dry much faster and destroying the resin glands tucked away inside the buds. The taste will very quickly dissipate and leave you something that will taste like hay mixed with dirt. The potency will probably be affected as well to some degree, after a while. Jarring the whole bud preserves the bud structure and protects the resin glands and terpene profile, since they dissapate much faster when ground up and turning very dry. I know that you are trying newer ideas, but the slow dry and jar seem to be the most popular method. Of course, noting is wrong with freshly dried buds either
Exactly
BTW, I work as an Assoc. Winemaker, in the lab, at our winery and right behind me is a 300 lb Nitrogen tank I use for testing membrane filters. It has a regulator attached that lets me start out at around 2 psi and go up from there. Nice for blowing out computers as it is free of any moisture.
You are the king right now, serious advantage to preservation, with unsealed jars there is small amounts of atmosphere that gets in. By the way, that is why I posted what our atmosphere is made of, high concentrations of nitrogen and moisture along with oxygen cause blight in crops, isolated gasses adds a different dimension to the possibility of preservation.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I wonder if it would work mixing cannabis with coffee grounds??? I would be awake enough for a nap?

If you grind up and sprinkle some weed on your coffee grounds (or kief) in the coffee maker it will flavor the coffee with your strain and give a speedier mild buzz.

I guess if the weed was decarbed it would be stronger. But taste worse.

zebrausa

zebrausa

I trim to fit my hanging dry rack. I usually dry for 5 days. Drying until the stem is cracking is to dry for me. I usually start by burping 3-4 times a day for 5 min for a few days then open for 3 times a day etc. By day ten, my grow is initially cured. I find the best cure is a couple of months down the road after the initial cure. I use mason jars. After curing, my weeds never turns into powder when preparing to smoke. I vacuum bag then store. Just my two cents.

Aksarben

Aksarben

I guess if the weed was decarbed it would be stronger. But taste worse.
I actually have an Ardent Nova Lift Decarboxylator. I have used it for the wife's Phantom OG and meter out about 40mg of flower that has been decarbed into gelatin capsules and add 4-5 drops of MCT oil to it and seal it. The Nova List does an excellent job of decarbing and I do not think it affects the flavor in a negative way. You might loose a few Terpenes or so, but it is so controlled the resulting weed is fully decarboxylated. Coffee and Jack Herer variety should work well. Just started a grow of some Auto Jack Herer that have germinated and have their initial leaves at the moment.

Top Bottom