Is this a bad seed or grower error?

• Thread starter AnomalousGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnomalousGrows

AnomalousGrows

So a little backstory: I put my seeds in a cup of water to germinate in my tent with no lights. Once I saw the taproot I took it out the water put it in some happy frog+perlite+dynomyco sprayed it with some water and put it back in the tent my lights were on a 18/6 schedule. Now this was my first grow in the tent so I was struggling to maintain a comfortable humidity and temp for the plant (my previous thread) so it was fluctuating a lot during the time it was breaking through the soil. I kept a humidity dome on it and didn’t water it much if at all initially I had my lights at 50% but after some PPFD measurements I turned them up to 75%
There was also one night I fell asleep with my windows open and my room got really cold and the tent temp dipped down into the high 60’s.

All that being said I just wanted to know if the mistakes I made caused this or could it just be a bad seed?

Is this a bad seed or grower error
Is this a bad seed or grower error 2
Is this a bad seed or grower error 3
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
It looks like it’s mutated stress can cause seeds to mutate as does genetics

I don’t like the look of the brownish part.

Your well overwatering the soil is soaking. It only need be moist atm

Let the soil dry out it will probably carry on growing however while it’s soaking wet it won’t it’s drowning and the roots can’t breathe not trying to scare you it should work out if you let them dry a bit

The only thing that would bother me is that brown part mabye once it’s dryer it will look ok

Last edited:
AnomalousGrows

AnomalousGrows

It looks like it’s mutated stress can cause seeds to mutate as does genetics

I don’t like the look of the brownish part.

Your well overwatering the soil is soaking. It only need be moist atm

Let the soil dry out it will probably carry on growing however while it’s soaking wet it won’t it’s drowning and the roots can’t breathe not trying to scare you it should work out if you let them dry a bit

The only thing that would bother me is that brown part mabye once it’s dryer it will look ok
Ok I appreciate the feedback I’ll try leaving it alone for a few days the brown part is what’s bothering me too but otherwise it looks healthy and green I just didn’t know if it was salvageable or should I just scrap it and restart 🤷🏽‍♂️

Newty

Newty

I'm assuming the solo cup has a drainage hole?

Definitely ease up on watering, I actually use only a spray bottle to water my soil when my plants are in solo cups. Easier to give water in smaller amounts which means less chance of dampening off.

I recommend just running 100% Happy Frog until you transplant, you don't need to add anything else. I start all my plants like this, seem to have the least amount of trouble compared to other soils I've used for seedlings so I just stick with it.

Asmodeus

Asmodeus

I agree, I start my seeds in HF, no nutes. Let it dry back between waterings, in solo cups is usually 3 or 4 days. Never scrap the mutants, sometimes they may turn into your crown jewel.

I mutated this poor thing by accidentally spraying water on it and it got burned and twisted. I have no doubt it'll be just fine

20240226 131637

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
If it’s got true leaves ( the first leaves ) you don’t count the cotyledons It’s saveable. ( it looks saveable )

I had a read up on Mycorrhizal Inoculant
It’s seems it’s helps the plants take up nutes and helps the roots grow

As the seeds don’t food logic says it’s for the veg stage and not so much for seedlings

I would agree with @Asmodeus that sometimes mutants can yeild well but they can take longer

I’ve one myself atm to compare
Both are the same age. Because I have other plants I’m not worried about it taking longer however you maybe

Imo let it dry out and see how it’s doing when it starts growing properly ( they can grow upto 2” a day in optimal conditions )

Oh yeah as @Newty said make sure there are holes in the bottom of that cup

DCADDAD1 831A 4B2B BEBC F5642CB9F085
2F35F58C 1CE7 460F 9E4C 2923B370E3EB
Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I agree, I start my seeds in HF, no nutes. Let it dry back between waterings, in solo cups is usually 3 or 4 days. Never scrap the mutants, sometimes they may turn into your crown jewel.

I mutated this poor thing by accidentally spraying water on it and it got burned and twisted. I have no doubt it'll be just fine

View attachment 2127280
no such thing as water droplets causing burn marks,.

AnomalousGrows

AnomalousGrows

I'm assuming the solo cup has a drainage hole?

Definitely ease up on watering, I actually use only a spray bottle to water my soil when my plants are in solo cups. Easier to give water in smaller amounts which means less chance of dampening off.

I recommend just running 100% Happy Frog until you transplant, you don't need to add anything else. I start all my plants like this, seem to have the least amount of trouble compared to other soils I've used for seedlings so I just stick with it.
I used a spray bottle too I think I had just added some water which is why it looks so wet but I’ll try adding less water if it survives lol 😅 also its a small 4in pot with like 8 or 9 holes in the bottom but you saying that made me remember before I got my humidifier I was spraying water directly into the tent so I may have accidentally bottom fed it 🤦🏽‍♂️

AnomalousGrows

AnomalousGrows

View attachment 2127280
Thank you for the encouragement man 🥲

AnomalousGrows

AnomalousGrows

If it’s got true leaves ( the first leaves ) you don’t count the cotyledons It’s saveable. ( it looks saveable )

I had a read up on Mycorrhizal Inoculant
It’s seems it’s helps the plants take up nutes and helps the roots grow

As the seeds don’t food logic says it’s for the veg stage and not so much for seedlings

I would agree with @Asmodeus that sometimes mutants can yeild well but they can take longer

I’ve one myself atm to compare
Both are the same age. Because I have other plants I’m not worried about it taking longer however you maybe

Imo let it dry out and see how it’s doing when it starts growing properly ( they can grow upto 2” a day in optimal conditions )

Oh yeah as @Newty said make sure there are holes in the bottom of that cup
Ok so it maybe have been the dynomyco that cause the mutation I I’ll avoid it in my next run I appreciate the feed back 🙏🏽

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Ok. However can you explain
if it’s loaded with nutes you would refer it as hot and why do folks always reffer to fox farms ocean soil is hot

It’s something I picked up here grrr bloody bro science got me 😱
i never refer to any soil as hot,. and that term is only used by and created by people on marijuana growing forums,
if anything depending on the amended medium overwatering can cause the release of more nutrients creating an overfeeding burn, but that’s the growers fault,..
find me something about hot soil that is not on a thread or blog etc?

Newty

Newty

no it’s literally impossible, firstly the water droplet would have to be held raised above the leave surface than the light would have to be at a perfect angle for a long enough time to create a burn,.
a water droplet sitting in the leaf surface is impossible for it to focus and burn,.,
trust me i know,..
I can agree with that, if your environment actually caused that to happen then you definitely have other problems lol.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
thanks bud
Totally understand what your saying
I loathe to give bad info , thanks for clearing that up 👍
Rather learn that spout out 💩 🙂

Top Bottom