Is this a nutrient deficiency?

• Thread starter JayMan9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I don't have any way to test ppm currently. Do you have any suggestions?
To be honest I got a feeling it's fixed with your up potting. As for amending soils like I said I'm a hydro grower so that's something I don't feel comfortable giving advice on yet, reading plants and nutrients I understand for the most part also how ph and nutrients work.

I would think adding some dolomite lime would be a good option @cronny is probably well informed on it and could probably give ya some solid options.

JayMan9

JayMan9

To be honest I got a feeling it's fixed with your up potting. As for amending soils like I said I'm a hydro grower so that's something I don't feel comfortable giving advice on yet, reading plants and nutrients I understand for the most part also how ph and nutrients work.

I would think adding some dolomite lime would be a good option @cronny is probably well informed on it and could probably give ya some solid options.
Thanks again.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Wow, is this the type of fencing that I should put across the top when they bud to hold them up? ( assuming they do) I have been searching to find something. You certainly don't!!,

i like a 6x6 inch or 4x6 inch cage , 6 foot high. A 10 foot length makes a 3 foot wide cage. Pull the stems through when in veg. Another piece across the top to hold those long colas coming up the center. Nearer harvest time a netting wraps the plant for added Protection. Will weather very heavy storms.

DiverDown

DiverDown

i like a 6x6 inch or 4x6 inch cage , 6 foot high. A 10 foot length makes a 3 foot wide cage. Pull the stems through when in veg. Another piece across the top to hold those long colas coming up the center. Nearer harvest time a netting wraps the plant for added Protection. Will weather very heavy storms.
I have been online searching for 2 weeks to find this fencing. Everywhere I look they are only 4 inch square openings. Where did you get yours?

BudBogart

BudBogart

I have been online searching for 2 weeks to find this fencing. Everywhere I look they are only 4 inch square openings. Where did you get yours?
I got mine at a local contractor on my local exchange. Yes, it was a bit hard to find. I have used the easier to find 2x4 wire fence. It works but you can’t stick your hand inside to clean without snipping a few holes, not really a problem.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Should I flush the soil with water?
You say it's getting worse so yes I would recommend you flush it w/ pH adjusted water asap. I would have liked to have seen you flush it before you transplanted into the bigger pot but I wouldn't wait if you're sure it's getting worse

you want to adjust your pH in soil to 6.5 for best results and get an easy to use nutrient like mega crop or Jack's 3-2-1 and you will eliminate a lot of these problems by keeping it simple, good luck!

DiverDown

DiverDown

Are they in soil
Here are the babies and their issues. The only one without a single bad leaf is the one in the ground
9B62EA6C 273B 44A6 AD17 3553D3B5D74E
8D2F22CB D2F8 4D0F 9182 EE9F738A7821
ACC2F86F 10DE 4FC1 908B 0E1304D33E2C
8D0759F0 9E58 4B0D 8235 9091125B0E16
6947D685 90B7 4599 B37A 6911127F8BEC
09C18D65 0E70 4AB9 906E B4233C14DFED
632DF4BF 0219 468F AE41 B187324DA4AC

GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

Are those leaves all from the bottom of the plants? If it were from over-fertilization then you have remedied that problem. I personally don't get too excited when I see some big fan leaves with that yellowing but keep investigating. Have you looked carefully for any insect issues on those leaves, doesn't look like an insect problem either but since you are pulling leaves off you should check with a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe.
Overall I think they look pretty healthy except for those leaves.

C

cronny

Overall health looks great, dont worry about a few leaves dying that is normal, slight under watering can cause old leaves to die. Yoe should be feeding cal mag at least once a week it will help the plant with nutrient absorption.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You say it's getting worse so yes I would recommend you flush it w/ pH adjusted water asap. I would have liked to have seen you flush it before you transplanted into the bigger pot but I wouldn't wait if you're sure it's getting worse

you want to adjust your pH in soil to 6.5 for best results and get an easy to use nutrient like mega crop or Jack's 3-2-1 and you will eliminate a lot of these problems by keeping it simple, good luck!
Seeing those pictures I agree that's not that bad, I would have flushed it before I up-potted it, but I wouldn't flush it now

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Great argument everyone! But the solution is always the same when too much nitrogen or total ppm in the medium starts to block roots from uptaking elements. Calcium and potassium are usually blocked first as they are the largest molecules.

The solution is to leach the pots with fresh water. Unadjusted for ph as the calcium content of tap water will help quickly raise the ph back to normal as the excess gets washed out.

If it takes a lot of flushing to get clearish acceptable runoff good to add back a light dose of complete grow nutes (like 25% of directions) to give the plant some nutrients while it bounces back.

Hope this helps.

Also want to clear up another common misconception i keep seeing. If the ph in the runoff is low in buffered (limed) soil it is because there is too much built up fertilizer usually. So leaching with fresh water will also correct the ph.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Great argument everyone! But the solution is always the same when too much nitrogen or total ppm in the medium starts to block roots from uptaking elements. Calcium and potassium are usually blocked first as they are the largest molecules.

The solution is to leach the pots with fresh water. Unadjusted for ph as the calcium content of tap water will help quickly raise the ph back to normal as the excess gets washed out.

If it takes a lot of flushing to get clearish acceptable runoff good to add back a light dose of complete grow nutes (like 25% of directions) to give the plant some nutrients while it bounces back.

Hope this helps.

Also want to clear up another common misconception i keep seeing. If the ph in the runoff is low in buffered (limed) soil it is because there is too much built up fertilizer usually. So leaching with fresh water will also correct the ph.
I got to thinking maybe I'm not speaking the right language or using improper terms. By nutrient build up you mean sodium buildup causing lockout right? I just want to make sure it's not my poor communication skills since it wouldn't be the first time.

Have to say I really did enjoy the back and forth with @cronny on this and appreciate his tolerance of myself lol

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I got to thinking maybe I'm not speaking the right language or using improper terms. By nutrient build up you mean sodium buildup causing lockout right? I just want to make sure it's not my poor communication skills since it wouldn't be the first time.

Have to say I really did enjoy the back and forth with @cronny on this and appreciate his tolerance of myself lol

“Salt buildup” is not really correct. It can be nutrient ions (we call salts) or even broken down organic nutes in excess. Larger ions like calcium get blocked out first. Or we see the tip and edge burn from the potassium blocked.

Still the same fix to get the ph and ppms back in range. Simple leaching (flushing).

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

“Salt buildup” is not really correct. It can be nutrient ions (we call salts) or even broken down organic nutes in excess. Larger ions like calcium get blocked out first. Or we see the tip and edge burn from the potassium blocked.

Still the same fix to get the ph and ppms back in range. Simple leaching (flushing).
So for future nutrient buildup would be the best term to describe it? I understand it as sodium affecting the osmotic pressure and in turn the nutrient uptake but I guess it's a combination?

JayMan9

JayMan9

Hope this helps.

Just want to be clear here; if I flush with a lot of water and I clear the soil of 'build-up', would I feed them right after? I don't want to shock my plants either and cause any other damage. I took off all or most of the damaged leaves, plant looks way better now. When I look at the healthy parts she looks like a healthy plant.

GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

Just want to be clear here; if I flush with a lot of water and I clear the soil of 'build-up', would I feed them right after? I don't want to shock my plants either and cause any other damage. I took off all or most of the damaged leaves, plant looks way better now. When I look at the healthy parts she looks like a healthy plant.
You would need to wait for the soil to dry back out enough to need another watering and it may not hurt to flush it once more..

Top Bottom