Is this calcium def or nitrogen?

• Thread starter Diesel21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Overwatering really has little to do with too much water, or hydro systems wouldn't work so well. Overwatering is actually when your roots are starved of Oxygen, which they need to live and thrive. Circulating and aerating the solution should improve the dissolved O2 and hopefully cheer the roots up.
Exactly

growsince79

growsince79

Overwatering really has little to do with too much water, or hydro systems wouldn't work so well. Overwatering is actually when your roots are starved of Oxygen, which they need to live and thrive. Circulating and aerating the solution should improve the dissolved O2 and hopefully cheer the roots up.
In my opinion 5.5 ph is too low except in rockwool. 6.2 is perfect for hydrotron.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

To each his own. I've grown 1lb plants in 5 gallons watered twice a day for 30 minutes.
Agreed. Roots completely submerged and we'll aerated in hydroton. Dec.6 to Jan 2. Just over 3 weeks of growth. You can peek at the journal but I had to rip it out.

I don't go by how much a plant produces there are to many variables. Growth rates matter.

IMG 20191206 100016
IMG 20200102 190610
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What in getting at is your can't really over water these but you can absolutely underwater.

Diesel21

Diesel21

So you are saying by watering more often this will stabilize the ph of the root zone? And this is what is causing the issue?

Diesel21

Diesel21

So you are saying to add an air stone to my res even though it is an ebb and flow system Or just water more often to improve oxygen?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well I appreciate you help sir. I think I will bump it up to 5 times a day to start which is about very 3 hours. I don’t want to go right to every 2 hours
Both I would say are a good idea. You don't need crazy aeration. And tbh you may not even need to at all but you do need to increase frequency 100% imo

Diesel21

Diesel21

Also one thing I just thought of was flood time. It takes 6 mins to fill my system and it Drains one minute later. Should I adjust this?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also one thing I just thought of was flood time. It takes 6 mins to fill my system and it Drains one minute later. Should I adjust this?
I would say so... If you read that article it says flood every 2hrs for 15 min

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
So you are saying to add an air stone to my res even though it is an ebb and flow system Or just water more often to improve oxygen?
Yes! I would do both, unless someone has reasons not to. Keep in mind that a plant needs Oxygen even in the roots in order to live. They use CO2 during daylight to make energy via photosynthesis, but during the dark periods, when most growth occurs, O2 is used to power the plant (although it doesn't use as much as it creates during the daylight)... this is one reason they used to remove flowers from patient's rooms in hospitals in the past. Airstones, a little fountain... anything to get O2 into the water will help.

Diesel21

Diesel21

Yes! I would do both, unless someone has reasons not to. Keep in mind that a plant needs Oxygen even in the roots in order to live. They use CO2 during daylight to make energy via photosynthesis, but during the dark periods, when most growth occurs, O2 is used to power the plant (although it doesn't use as much as it creates during the daylight)... this is one reason they used to remove flowers from patient's rooms in hospitals in the past. Airstones, a little fountain... anything to get O2 into the water will help.
Cool. I have some air stones I’ll try it out. Thanks

Diesel21

Diesel21

I would say so... If you read that article it says flood every 2hrs for 15 min
Alright man here’s the deal. It’s been 8 days since res change. I increased ppms to 550. It has been 7 days since I changed watering schedules from 3 times per day @8 mins to 5 times per day at 15 mins. After a couple days the plants showed signs of n tox and the ppms were static and so was the water level. So I reduced ppms to 500. After a couple more days they slowly started drinking. Now the ppms are 480 but the plants look over watered. I also put 2 12” air stones in my res. What do you think?

Diesel21

Diesel21

Here are pics of the plant with the wierd stripes on it. It too has gotten considerably larger but seems to have the stripes still.

growsince79

growsince79

I grew flood - drain in 5 gallon hydrotron pots for decades and only ever flooded twice a day for 30 min- as per hydrofarm instuctions. Only problem I ever had was the drain line getting plugged with roots.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looks more like a humidity issue possibly. But could still be not enough fertigation. The N tox kinda leads me to this. As it dries out the nutrients become more concentrated. You can't really over water and overwatering is not to much water but to little o2 if the solution in the media is not refreshed then it becomes depleted of o2.

If you are in lower humidity then it would be compounded as the plants will drink it even faster and nutrients concentration will go up faster.

Top Bottom