Is this over watering or other issues?

• Thread starter Skeggox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skeggox

Skeggox

Probably from improper irrigation technique early on. Maybe watering the plants without fully saturating the media every time.
I believe this is the issue. This morning the one that's the worst is really fucking wilted with the bucket fairly light to pick up with one hand.

Skeggox

Skeggox

I feel like I'm gonna loose it. That's how wilted and poor the fan leaves look. A lot worse than 12 hours ago. I didn't have time to take a pic this morning. I'm sure I don't have adequate oxygen flow to the roots. I'm trying to get the heat down. I was running a sealed room with a Co2 bag, temp stayed at high 80s - low 90s before I started exhausting then it dropped to low-mid 80s when I exhausted. But they have never looked like this during that heat issue.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I believe this is the issue. This morning the one that's the worst is really fucking wilted with the bucket fairly light to pick up with one hand.

If it feels light and you believe this is the problem, then you need to saturate the entire medium, so run a couple gallons of water through the pot slowly and make sure everything gets wet. Hopefully that helps, then after you water make sure they have ample time to dry back. A good way to avoid this in the future is always saturate the medium completely from the start and add an ample amount of perlite to the soil, at least 20%. The perlite helps with allowing oxygen to get to the root zone in between irrigations.

Don't get discouraged if they don't make it, if you learn from it then you can always do better next time bro, good luck!

Skeggox

Skeggox

If it feels light and you believe this is the problem, then you need to saturate the entire medium, so run a couple gallons of water through the pot slowly and make sure everything gets wet. Hopefully that helps, then after you water make sure they have ample time to dry back. A good way to avoid this in the future is always saturate the medium completely from the start and add an ample amount of perlite to the soil, at least 20%. The perlite helps with allowing oxygen to get to the root zone in between irrigations.

Don't get discouraged if they don't make it, if you learn from it then you can always do better next time bro, good luck!
I actually said fuck it and poured a half a gallon in this morning just to trial and error before lights out. Just now I checked and the leaves have picked up, no where near wilted. But just a few yellowed since last night. When lights come on I'll be able to assess better but it looks better then earlier

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I actually said fuck it and poured a half a gallon in this morning just to trial and error before lights out. Just now I checked and the leaves have picked up, no where near wilted. But just a few yellowed since last night. When lights come on I'll be able to assess better but it looks better then earlier

Must of been under watered, I think the heat had a lot to do with it. It sucks because over and under watering looks almost identical. So keeping track of irrigation quantity and frequency is very important for this very reason. I would make sure the entire medium is wet. Maybe post a pic of the entire plants so we can see the size of the plant relative to the pot size. That helps us see the context of the entire situation and how much water the plants need.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

The soil is eith hydrophobic or you are way over watering if that's the case.
The soil is too loose in the bucket. It needs to be holding enough water to let that plant go for about a week. If before the week is up the leaves start drooping. Which they probably won't if the light and everything else is correct environment wise. But if they do. Its tume to water again

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

It's time for a soak.
1. Poke lots of holes in the soil. Don't worry about hitting roots, just be gentle. You need to open up the phobic sections of soil. Use an old coat hanger or something so you can reach the bottom of the pot.
2. Put the entire pot inside a bigger pot that holds water and fill the outside pot. Let it sit until all the water is absorbed. Add more water until the pot quits absorbing water. Massage the pot sides (if fabric) and let the inside of the pot re-arrange the soil a bit as it absorbs water. You may need to add soil.
3. Let the pot drain before going back in it's spot.

This is the only way to get rid of hydrophobic soil.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

It's time for a soak.
1. Poke lots of holes in the soil. Don't worry about hitting roots, just be gentle. You need to open up the phobic sections of soil. Use an old coat hanger or something so you can reach the bottom of the pot.
2. Put the entire pot inside a bigger pot that holds water and fill the outside pot. Let it sit until all the water is absorbed. Add more water until the pot quits absorbing water. Massage the pot sides (if fabric) and let the inside of the pot re-arrange the soil a bit as it absorbs water. You may need to add soil.
3. Let the pot drain before going back in it's spot.

This is the only way to get rid of hydrophobic soil.
Sorry. I wasnt trying to misguide. I will sit back and listen. 🤫 🤣

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The soil is too loose in the bucket. It needs to be holding enough water to let that plant go for about a week. If before the week is up the leaves start drooping. Which they probably won't if the light and everything else is correct environment wise. But if they do. Its tume to water again
This is part of hydrophobic soil. You get air pockets and other places that will not absorb water.
When you do a soak and massage, the soil will rearrange and fill in the gaps and air pockets.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Probably from improper irrigation technique early on. Maybe watering the plants without fully saturating the media every time.
I was thinking a 1/2 gal of water is not enuff to get proper runoff if proper dry cycle has been meant?
I use a gallon of water to treat a 2 gal nursery pot that gives me about 20-25% runoff about what I want - anyways I can’t imagine a 1/2 gal being nearly enuff unless the soil is not fully drying.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

This is part of hydrophobic soil. You get air pockets and other places that will not absorb water.
When you do a soak and massage, the soil will rearrange and fill in the gaps and air pockets.
Oh cool. I was sort of right. Sweet! Good to know i can trust what i know so far. Only being a first time grower. Thanks for confirming. 😃

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I was thinking a 1/2 gal of water is not enuff to get proper runoff if proper dry cycle has been meant?
I use a gallon of water to treat a 2 gal nursery pot that gives me about 20-25% runoff about what I want - anyways I can’t imagine a 1/2 gal being nearly enuff unless the soil is not fully drying.
There should not be run off in soil. Unless you are feeding commercial nutes. Organics never do run off, you will starve the plant.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

Ok. Are you planning on giving any other kind of food?
Well. Im just learning and they have been in the pots a little over a month. I sure will use something else. Something organic preferably. I have a hydro table and use GH nutes the 3 part. Can i use any of those?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Well. Im just learning and they have been in the pots a little over a month. I sure will use something else. Something organic preferably. I have a hydro table and use GH nutes the 3 part. Can i use any of those?
You can, but I don't like wasting soil. We grow strictly organic.
We use Earth Dust, Recharge and Sticky Icky. That's it.

Top Bottom