Is this signs of root rot?

• Thread starter KristiRae
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KristiRae

Has anyone see anything like this? All the new top growth is sad and curling down, bottom growth seems fine?

Is this signs of root rot
Is this signs of root rot 2
Is this signs of root rot 3
Is this signs of root rot 4
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That's a whole lots of purpling. All stems and all the way into the veins and purplish hues in the leaves. Could be long term consistent over watering.

Kinda lost on this one... See what others say. Bit they will appreciate all the info you can provide about the grow

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Culd be a nutrient sensitive variety not getting what it wants, or too much of something causing uptake issues with other things.

What is on it for light? What's it growing in and what are you feeding if anything?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I rarely say that something looks overwatered, but this is one of those times. To me, it just looks overwatered and possibly over fed/ locked out.
There is a similar thread with purpling stems that the same issues are being debated. It might be a P or K deficiency, but it's hard to know without having an idea of the Ph and the PPM/EC if it's available. A magnesium foliar feed might give it a shot of magnesium and bypass the roots, in the event the roots are locked.
More info will help a lot!

K

KristiRae

That's a whole lots of purpling. All stems and all the way into the veins and purplish hues in the leaves. Could be long term consistent over watering.

Kinda lost on this one... See what others say. Bit they will appreciate all the info you can provide about the grow
Thanks! Curious
Culd be a nutrient sensitive variety not getting what it wants, or too much of something causing uptake issues with other things.

What is on it for light? What's it growing in and what are you feeding if anything?
Meihzi 1200w, growing in soil, and feeding it Emerald harvest 2 part series, not sure the ppm. I agree it’s over water but my partner does not think she’s over watering.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just thinking out loud here. In the morning just before or at lights on do you notice water droplets at the leaf edges (might look like dew). Would likely be more pronounced on the lower leaves. I'm wondering if that damage along the leaf edges is cause by repeated daily guttation. That would indicate to me its been consistently over watered for some time now

K

KristiRae

Just thinking out loud here. In the morning just before or at lights on do you notice water droplets at the leaf edges (might look like dew). Would likely be more pronounced on the lower leaves. I'm wondering if that damage along the leaf edges is cause by repeated daily guttation. That would indicate to me its been consistently over watered for some time now
We don’t see any dew on leaves, but will watch for closer signs. Laid off the feeding for a bit, however it’s just the new growth, the bottom of the plant looks great.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Are these plants on the floor? Can you check the temps before the light comes on and if you have a thermometer push it into the soil and take reading just before light on. something just seems a miss but I do agree over watering appears to be an issue. It also appears to have started flowering so i'm assuming its on a 12/12 night temps still seem suspect to me.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Has anyone see anything like this? All the new top growth is sad and curling down, bottom growth seems fine?
Top growth curling down = check for mites!

I see a few white dots in that picture, that's often indicative of mites, not saying it is, saying check for it first

20191106 061512

Btw could be a few things going on? I don't think I've ever seen a stem that purple for example, but maybe it's the strain I don't know without more info

however mites often attack the new growth and I think you should check very carefully with magnification to verify or eliminate the possibility of bugs

Last edited:
K

KristiRae

Tha k
Top growth curling down = check for mites!

I see a few white dots in that picture, that's often indicative of mites, not saying it is, saying check for it first

View attachment 907634

Btw could be a few things going on? I don't think I've ever seen a stem that purple for example, but maybe it's the strain I don't know without more info

however mites often attack the new growth and I think you should check very carefully with magnification to verify or eliminate the possibility of bugs
Thanks man, it wouldn’t surprise me if it was mites, we just used SM 90 last night to help eliminate bugs. Also hear it’s supposed to be good for the root system. This is only our second grow so definitely beginners over here. The strain is Gods cherry pie X Dr.who, and almost all of my plants have purple stems, all different varieties.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Light purple stems, almost Lavender, is normal for plants but the bright purple and purple veins are usually indicative of a nutrient issue. I wish I could remember the answer from last year on the site here, but it was identified and solved... damn memory isn't what it used to be. Mites cause damage but not typically purple stems.
Please pardon senior memory moment. 😞

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I looked up some old posts, and I think that Phosphorus deficiency is associated with the purple veins and stems. The deficiency can be caused by too much potassium, which somehow competes with the available phosphorus. Deficiencies caused by nutrient imbalances are tough to figure out. I wish I knew how to test for just specific nutrients... but I know that Potassium is difficult to leach out of your growing mix, if it is the culprit here. Thanks to @Dirtbag for the info... last year!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I looked up some old posts, and I think that Phosphorus deficiency is associated with the purple veins and stems. The deficiency can be caused by too much potassium, which somehow competes with the available phosphorus. Deficiencies caused by nutrient imbalances are tough to figure out. I wish I knew how to test for just specific nutrients... but I know that Potassium is difficult to leach out of your growing mix, if it is the culprit here. Thanks to @Dirtbag for the info... last year!
Yeah that's why i was thinking temps it also affects phosphorus uptake. Good call

K

KristiRae

anyone have any good ways to combat pests? We have tried dr doom, insecticidal soap, now we are going to foliage spray with SM90 as recommended from our dude at the hydroponic store. Also any idea of how to combat the P issue if we are using a synthetic nute line?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks! Curious

Meihzi 1200w, growing in soil, and feeding it Emerald harvest 2 part series, not sure the ppm. I agree it’s over water but my partner does not think she’s over watering.
Tell us more about your soil or a picture from the bag. I looked up your newts it didn't tell me much but I'll post a link maybe it will tell somebody else what I didn't see, good luck

Alternate spinosad and azamax; stay away from neem it doesn't help imo

Top Bottom