Is Tom Alexander Still Around? (sensimilla Tips)

• Thread starter Werunwild69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tom Alex

I'm a recent THCFarmer member and catching up on current news I know Tom wrote sensimilla tips and was/is a major ground breaker for our interests. I met Tom one time and wonder if he's still around.
Wow...I just stumbled accidentally upon the THCFarmer site and bingo, I further stumbled upon a question asking if I am still breathing...yes still here...thanks for the kind words, and no, I have never worked for General Hydro. Larry Brooke is a friend but not my boss. I hadn't done anything at all related to Sinsemilla Tips (Sinse with an i) since I stopped publishing ST in 1991. Those were the days...the stories that I can remember while selling ST up and down the West Coast! But just coincidentally, a Facebook group called Sinsemilla Tips Magazine sprung up 24 years later, a little over a month ago, and you all are welcome to join it. More political and grow info, just what everyone needs more of since everyone has so much time on their hands...not really...

I stopped publishing Growing Edge in 2009 after 20 years.

This THCFarmer site, to me is a lot like Sinsemilla Tips was. Real people, real info, human interest angle, real experiences. Whoever is putting the site together: great job! And great info source. Thanks for putting it out there.

T

Tom Alex

I used to do business with Tom when he ran Full Moon Garden Supply in Corvallis Oregon, sadly Operation Green Merchant shut them down.

He wrote Sensimilla Tips and was/is also the publisher of Growing Edge Magazine.
Thanks for the kind words and thanks for keeping Full M
I used to do business with Tom when he ran Full Moon Garden Supply in Corvallis Oregon, sadly Operation Green Merchant shut them down.

He wrote Sensimilla Tips and was/is also the publisher of Growing Edge Magazine.

Thanks Wayne for your kind words and thanks for the support back in the day with Full Moon and ST!

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Wow...I just stumbled accidentally upon the THCFarmer site and bingo, I further stumbled upon a question asking if I am still breathing...yes still here...thanks for the kind words, and no, I have never worked for General Hydro. Larry Brooke is a friend but not my boss. I hadn't done anything at all related to Sinsemilla Tips (Sinse with an i) since I stopped publishing ST in 1991. Those were the days...the stories that I can remember while selling ST up and down the West Coast! But just coincidentally, a Facebook group called Sinsemilla Tips Magazine sprung up 24 years later, a little over a month ago, and you all are welcome to join it. More political and grow info, just what everyone needs more of since everyone has so much time on their hands...not really...

I stopped publishing Growing Edge in 2009 after 20 years.

This THCFarmer site, to me is a lot like Sinsemilla Tips was. Real people, real info, human interest angle, real experiences. Whoever is putting the site together: great job! And great info source. Thanks for putting it out there.
Hi. Thanks for clearing it all up. Those damn rumors . Lol

waayne

waayne

@Tom Alex Glad to see you're still around!

I appreciated all the great info,and great service y'all provided back in the day at Full Moon.......

It's been so long it seems almost like it was another lifetime,but you definitely provided me with some great information back then.
Full Moon was my favorite shop,y'all did a excellent job in my opinion.

For those of you that don't know>>Tom was publishing cutting edge growing info back in the 80's that was quite advanced , in comparison to Ed,or Jorge.

I wish you, all the best Tom!

T

Tom Alex

@Tom Alex Glad to see you're still around!

I appreciated all the great info,and great service y'all provided back in the day at Full Moon.......

It's been so long it seems almost like it was another lifetime,but you definitely provided me with some great information back then.
Full Moon was my favorite shop,y'all did a excellent job in my opinion.

For those of you that don't know>>Tom was publishing cutting edge growing info back in the 80's that was quite advanced , in comparison to Ed,or Jorge.

I wish you, all the best Tom!

Sorry Waayne for mis-spelling your name in my original post but I blame it on auto-correct...Thank you again for your kind words... As you know, my store opened in 1980 and was a ground breaking way to sell high tech garden equipment. I treated it like a stereo store with four different sized grow rooms that were growing plants like cucumbers, tomatoes and basil. Most hydro stores back then just had inventory just laying all over the store, some not even on shelves and nobody grew plants in their store. Many Portland, Oregon stores had pit bulls that greeted you as you came into the store smelling your crotch and some stores had employees that had handguns on their belts. I feel I professionalized the indoor grow store and was the model of how to set up and run one.

When they stole my store in 1989 I was as famous as Ed or Jorge (who both are very good friends) since from 1984-1988 I had been the main guest up on the stage or at the desk on Donahue, Geraldo, Nightline, Today, CBS Morning News, numerous local tv shows and radio talk shows. None of the other writers or authors of that period were willing to take on the DEA and the prohibition politicians in the national media. I went toe to toe with them, was not willing to take their propaganda shit and was one of the reasons they tried to take me out in Operation Green Merchant. When the DEA stole my garden store in 1989 they used civil forfeiture with no criminal charges. But they threatened me, my then wife (now ex) and the corporation with criminal conspiracy if I fought to get the forfeited merchandise back. I wanted to go around the country and give speeches and raise money for a defense fund, but the specter of them throwing me in jail and losing my family for writing and publishing how to grow articles and selling garden supplies was too much to bear.

The reason the info in Since Tips was so advanced and interesting was because the growers in the hills, in their homes and in warehouses were writing the articles. Much like this site is the same way.

Since this all happened 25-30 years ago, a lot of the people involved in the industry have never heard of me, since many weren't even born yet. I hope to change all that in the next few years...

Well, I am back in the saddle, on the horse and trying to figure out what to do in the emerging Cannabis industry. One thing is for sure. The newbies & Vulture, er, I mean Venture Capitalists who are jumping on the Green Rush want nothing to do with anybody who had anything to do with Cannabis before the Green Rush. Well fuck them. I am defending and fighting for the small to medium growers while newbie Green Rushers will fight for the corporate controlled mega farmer treating it like a Budweiser beer brewery. Cooperatives and Collectives will be the saving grace for small to medium growers. They are already forming in Oregon, Washington and California. Stay tuned...

waayne

waayne

@Tom Alex Well you certainly created the modern model for Indoor Hydro/Gardening Stores.
I remember some of the pics of your cucumbers and basil. You were absolutely crushing it! It was inspiring to me as a young gardener to see that kind of potential,and see that level of professionalism.

Tips had so much great info ,and articles,that I would re-read every issue over and over......

You are absolutely correct,many of the folks who are reading this thread weren't born when you were running Full Moon and fighting the DEA/FED's. You are a true pioneer in this Industry and if there's anything I can do to help get the word out,please let me know!

I owe you a huge debt, for definitely speeding up my learning curve early on in my career.

I definitely feel your pain regarding the Green Rush,if there's anything I can do to help get your story out,please feel free to pm me here at the farm.

Your story is one that needs to be shared with the community.Please feel free to share it here on the farm.

You are truly a visionary in the Cannabis Industry,and I hope to see you actively involved going forward.The Cannabis industry desperately needs true visionary's leading it,with your skill set,knowledge ,and experience....

>RESPECT<

Thank's again for all your contributions!

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Sorry Waayne for mis-spelling your name in my original post but I blame it on auto-correct...Thank you again for your kind words... As you know, my store opened in 1980 and was a ground breaking way to sell high tech garden equipment. I treated it like a stereo store with four different sized grow rooms that were growing plants like cucumbers, tomatoes and basil. Most hydro stores back then just had inventory just laying all over the store, some not even on shelves and nobody grew plants in their store. Many Portland, Oregon stores had pit bulls that greeted you as you came into the store smelling your crotch and some stores had employees that had handguns on their belts. I feel I professionalized the indoor grow store and was the model of how to set up and run one.

When they stole my store in 1989 I was as famous as Ed or Jorge (who both are very good friends) since from 1984-1988 I had been the main guest up on the stage or at the desk on Donahue, Geraldo, Nightline, Today, CBS Morning News, numerous local tv shows and radio talk shows. None of the other writers or authors of that period were willing to take on the DEA and the prohibition politicians in the national media. I went toe to toe with them, was not willing to take their propaganda shit and was one of the reasons they tried to take me out in Operation Green Merchant. When the DEA stole my garden store in 1989 they used civil forfeiture with no criminal charges. But they threatened me, my then wife (now ex) and the corporation with criminal conspiracy if I fought to get the forfeited merchandise back. I wanted to go around the country and give speeches and raise money for a defense fund, but the specter of them throwing me in jail and losing my family for writing and publishing how to grow articles and selling garden supplies was too much to bear.

The reason the info in Since Tips was so advanced and interesting was because the growers in the hills, in their homes and in warehouses were writing the articles. Much like this site is the same way.

Since this all happened 25-30 years ago, a lot of the people involved in the industry have never heard of me, since many weren't even born yet. I hope to change all that in the next few years...

Well, I am back in the saddle, on the horse and trying to figure out what to do in the emerging Cannabis industry. One thing is for sure. The newbies & Vulture, er, I mean Venture Capitalists who are jumping on the Green Rush want nothing to do with anybody who had anything to do with Cannabis before the Green Rush. Well fuck them. I am defending and fighting for the small to medium growers while newbie Green Rushers will fight for the corporate controlled mega farmer treating it like a Budweiser beer brewery. Cooperatives and Collectives will be the saving grace for small to medium growers. They are already forming in Oregon, Washington and California. Stay tuned...
Wow man much respect to you! i thank you for everything you have sacrificed. I'm a lot younger then you but I have always had the vision you have shown here.

waayne

waayne

@delae632 @true grit @Skunkmasterflex @EveryOneSmokes @MakinGoo @Aligee @baba G

@Capulator @cannapits @manicgrower @pura @leadsled @GrowMaster

I wanted to give Props to the man @Tom Alex who I learned so much from early on.
Tom really sped up my learning curve in the early - mid 80's!

Big Ups Tom!

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
Welcome to the farm tom!

Anyone spoken about with such respect from waayne must be a true gem to the community.

Hope you stay around and we can all learn a lot from you.

Sounds like you paved the way for all use current farms and you were way ahead of all the indoor grow stores back then..... and probably even the grow stores that are around now lol. Some stores iv been to are jokes. I feel if I walk into someone's store they should be as knowledgeable or more then myself.

Once again welcome to the farm and look forward to having you around!!

Respect ~SMF~

Top Bottom