Isa Pruning Techniques For The Uc

• Thread starter desertsquirrel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
One thing that I did not see here (forgive me if it is here).

When you are selectively pruning, if you want to develop an open crown (desirable for more light/more sites), make sure to cut the branch just above the node with OUTWARD facing leaves. New growth always comes from the node (where the leaf meets the stem), and will always grow in the same direction as the leaf direction.

If you cut above leaves that are facing inward, branches will grow inward and give you an unbalanced, shitty looking tree.

When I prune, I look at the leaves, and I imagine where the branches that will be coming out next will be headed. Then I make my cut.

Learned this first with roses. :banana1sv6:

Good thread DS. +1.

Hope you are recovering quickly.

ttystikk

ttystikk

DS, hope you're recovering well, and those ribs are knitting back together. Sucks to hurt when you laugh...

I hear you on the working through your recovery. When I had my appendix out, sitting around was the LAST thing I wanted to do, because I couldn't keep my mind off the pain. Getting back to work on my favorite projects- and a few judicious tokes- solved it for me. Hope it's working out that way for you, too!

ttystikk

ttystikk

I saw with great interest your approach to pruning and defoliation. I wanted to share some techniques I learned long ago, with the hope of seeing how my old approach and the new might work together?

First, I ran only one 1000w HPS bulb in flower at the time, over 12 smaller plants. The Hydrofarm open double parabola style hood was on a rotator of my own design- surprise- and the bulb ran in a circle about 15" above the tops of my plants. I mention this because I feel that one is never sure which environmental factors might be in play to get a given set of results...

To start with, when my rooted clones were about 6" tall, I topped them, and cleaned off the scraggly stuff leftover from the cloning process at the bottom. I left four and only four side buds to grow. As these grew, I often topped the highest one of these as it would try to take over the apical position. I wanted even growth on all four side stems.

Once they got to be about 6" long, I used twine and tied them down more or less horizontally, using open loops so that I could easily reposition the tiedowns later. I used duct tape to tape the twine to the sides of the soil buckets I was using, 5 gallon nursery cans.

After a week or two, I would then top each of these four branches, as well as cleaning up the minor inner buds near the mainstem. The aim was to provide two to four budding/growing sites on each of these four side stems.

Another week or two later, I would reposition the twine loops so as to keep the plant growing more outwards than upwards. The aim was to create a plant about 15-18" tall from the soil surface, and about 2 feet across at this point.

The final prune before- or just after- going into flower was to top the excessively growing shoots wherever they may have been, and to reposition the twine loops to level the canopy of the plant. At this point they'd be roughly 3' in diameter and no taller than last time, owing to the twine physically holding them down and open. I think the technique here really helped get light throughout the plant by forcing it open and keeping it that way.

Concurrently with the topping and training schedule, I'd remove lower fan leaves and assorted scraggly stuff, as it was being shaded by the upper story getting very lush and completely filling in. Once finished and looking at the plant from the side, you'd see bare stem at the bottom near the soil splitting into four, then splitting again into more branches before heading up into a dense canopy. This canopy was never more than a foot deep from bottom to top, but was very broad, almost saucer shaped. The things looked a lot like bonsai trees!

In this way, I was able to encourage consistent results from each plant, with between 16 and 32 cola sites, and no popcorn underneath which never added anything to weight anyway. All the plants were the same height as were the colas- carefully managed with the twine loops- the goal of which was to manage the vertical distance between the plants and the HPS bulb constantly rotating above.

There were always 12 plants under the rotator, six in early flower weeks 1-3, and six in late bloom, weeks 4-6. The plants were a variety I'm not sure of anymore, and I always finished in 6 weeks. They may well have done better if they'd stayed in a few extra weeks, I'll never know. Each plant averaged 4 ounces of dried finished smokable product of very high quality, since it was basically all colas. A few stars showed the way to higher potential, with up to 8 ounces on one plant...

To do this, I used a staging system like a perpetual grow; a clone zone and rooted cutting area sharing a 4 foot shoplight, an early veg under 2 more shoplights, 2 stages of peak veg under 4 more shoplights, and finally a prebloom under a stationary 400w MH, all before going under the rotating 1000w HPS.

I did the pruning I did to maximize the light I was using to flower a smaller number of plants. The bloom zone with all 12 plants was about 7 feet across. I didn't know any better at the time, so by the time I got busted- yes, snitched out- the HPS bulb was 4 years old! And yet, the yields were still up there. I never had any trouble with plant disease attacking where I'd topped the plants, and I certainly never had trouble with plants being unable to hold up their heavy buds, quite the contrary! The girls all acted like little weightlifters, constantly pulling the twine loops out of their duct tape on the sides of the buckets, even when double looped!

All this was 20 years ago; the lead officer testified in court that it ws hands down the most sophisticated grow operation he'd ever seen, clearly trying to get me some prison time. I had to think fast to counter with the fact that I was growing in dirt with cobbled together homebuilt bicycle parts! This being Colorado and a first offense, I got lucky with no jail time, just probation and fines.

I still think about that old setup every day, because if it worked so damned well then- 24-30 oz of finished product every 3 weeks like clockwork under a tired old bulb- then there has to be something of value in today's admittedly much more high tech world...

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

DS, hope you're recovering well, and those ribs are knitting back together. Sucks to hurt when you laugh...

I hear you on the working through your recovery. When I had my appendix out, sitting around was the LAST thing I wanted to do, because I couldn't keep my mind off the pain. Getting back to work on my favorite projects- and a few judicious tokes- solved it for me. Hope it's working out that way for you, too!

Thanks so much, I'm nearly all better.

S

splitsec002

Get well soon DS, I'm going through all your threads and they've always been informative.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Awesome thread indeed. I used to scrog so I often topped several
Times in veg and just managed everything with the screen. Gave the scrog screen the kick to the curb last run so I will be doing a more natural grow now

So am I to assume you never top your plant? Not even just once when the are young?

I really like the defoliation technique. I have employed the same thing even though some are adamitly opposed to it. Do you find that pulling leaves in veg makes the plant spread out more?

M

MT Farmer

topping and defoliating times?

I am at about day 12 of bloom and defoliated in veg but was wondering when during bloom I should top, if at all, as well as what weeks do I defoliate?

Defoliating in veg was great but they def need some more.

Thought I read DS topping at day 10 in bloom and defoliating day 25 but I cannot find the exacdt times anymore.

Thanks for the help!

T

TheCheshireCat

Duuuuude!!! i so very much enjoyed reading your informative post, thank you!! :D

B

Buddy Hemphill

I am at about day 12 of bloom and defoliated in veg but was wondering when during bloom I should top, if at all, as well as what weeks do I defoliate?

Defoliating in veg was great but they def need some more.

Thought I read DS topping at day 10 in bloom and defoliating day 25 but I cannot find the exacdt times anymore.

Thanks for the help!

I think thats been asked more than once.

He aint tellin.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

Just before and just after flower.

or you could count how many times i defoliated during the thread...

But truthfully there is not a schedule, it is a matter of using the defoliation to remove excess leaf that is in direct cover of one or more bud sites below it, without removing so much or so often as to shock or slow the plants production of sugars.

S

steelyeyes

We seem to be close to the same page on pruning and defoliation. Other than pest control I think learning to manage the canopy has produced the best improvements in yield of anything we've learned. Keep the tips coming Desertsquirrel, they're worth their weight in gold.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

We seem to be close to the same page on pruning and defoliation. Other than pest control I think learning to manage the canopy has produced the best improvements in yield of anything we've learned. Keep the tips coming Desertsquirrel, they're worth their weight in gold.

Thanks man, glad i could help.

The main goal is to remove all bottom suckers and all major top leaves that are in direct cover of bud sites without stressing anything out.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

DS can you please post pics or start new thread on your topping methods, I think you stated that you were going to start one thanks once again? Also if I'm not mistaken you mention that you top during veg just wanted to know if it's right before you flower you plants?

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

yep, a few days prior to flip....

we just pinch off the the tip of the apical merristem...

there are other ways to top for other goals, sorry I'm not going to have the time to do a topping thread however.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

yep, a few days prior to flip....

we just pinch off the the tip of the apical merristem...

there are other ways to top for other goals, sorry I'm not going to have the time to do a topping thread however.

Hey DS thanks for taking the time to answer my inquiry I'm almost ready to flower still about 10 days away I read in your thread that one will top 80% of the top of the meristem? Last question one also has to Prune and top at the same time? Thanks

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

pruning, defoliating and topping are very important prior to flip.

Remove all suckers from the bottom 12 inches of the plant. Defoliate 10-12 of the largest leaf sets directly blocking bud sites, and yes, top 80% of the very very tip.

defoliate is about every 3-4 days, prune is once prior to flip and once after, and top is 5-6 days prior to flip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom