Isa Pruning Techniques For The Uc

• Thread starter desertsquirrel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RollinEndough

RollinEndough

I dunno, JACK and my buddy DownWithDirt both seem to be killing it while lollipopping and topping like crazy before the flip. 2.5-3 pounds per light.

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

That's possible. As the 3 pound light I saw was just a 5x5' canopy of 12" colas whereas in your grows there's plenty of additional lower growth.

Numbers like this make everything I've done seem super weak no doubt. 2.2 was my best to date with a single light.

L

Liberanos5

ISA pruning techniques

Proper as well as improper pruning can drastically affect your plants health in areas such as vigor, structure, yield, natural resistance to pests and pathogens, reproduction, ability to uptake water and solution, its production of plant growth regulators and plant health in general. Because of the importance of proper pruning practices as well as the general lack of them within the community i decided to post some of the International Society of Arboriculture's pruning techniques that i have been loosely adapting to Cannabis since my arboriculture class a few years ago...

Methodology:

As with anything in growing, no methodology can be viewed as optimal without clearly defined goals or objectives. Only within the context of an objective can optimization become clear. That being said, only prune to achieve specific goals, ie; change plant structure, provide more bud sites, prune-for-clones, etc.

Pruning objectives:

Because each cut made has the potential to change the entire structure and growth pattern of the plant, no cuts should be made without clearly established goals. Removal of specific branches and foliage as well as how they are removed is as important to your plants health as any other aspect of its care.

Branches:

The first thing to keep in mind when pruning is basic plant biology. Branches can usually be placed in one of two categories; dominate and co-dominate. They are most easily identified by they way in which they protrude from the trunk, in that dominate tend to extend at a 90 degree angle while co-dominate are at a 45 degree angle (more or less). However this is more difficult to discern with Cannabis.

Beyond their shape, the two kinds of branches have very significant differences in terms of plant structure and stability. Dominate branch's rings flow down the branch and one by one wrap around and into the rings of the trunk creating incredibly strong bonds (similar to the braids of a rope). co-dominate on the other hand, do not connect to the trunk in this fashion and are easily split (this is why you see so many Y shaped cannabis plants split down the center.)

Furthermore, dominate branches are protected by the branch bark ridge and branch bark collar which when pruned correctly create a branch bark protection zone. What this means is that if the branches are pruned outside of the branch bark collar a cube of protective tissue (physically and chemically) forms at the edge of the cut sealing it off from decay and pests.

It is important to point out that branch hight is set. Whether your cultivar be Cannabis or Christmas tress, branch height on all trees and plants does not change once it starts to grow.
Well done! I took2 pages of notes. I have 3 peach trees that are having a nice rest this year as the spring weather in these parts froze off all the blooms. Long story. But the trees look fantastic. I intend to prune them heavy in the late fall to open up the center so more sunlight can get into the tree and hopefull next year will be a bumper crop if the weather cooperates! My indoor gardening is in it's infancy and I am mostly experimenting with plain ole bag seed and have constructed a 12x12 space. This winter I will have a heated garage as my can fan exhausts into it. I call this strain "U.P. Gold" not to be confused with Michigan's Upper Penninsula but for "Unknown Phenotypes!" I know! I'm facken hilarious!!! :rolleyes: But a big THANK YOU and a tip of the hat to you for all the work you have put into this thread. Very useful info. for an old "actual" gardener but a TOTAL NOOB indoor gardener like me. Totally on the same page with clear cut goals and objectives being in place before a course of action is undertaken. I see no problem applying this thinking to life in general not just to gardening/pruning. Thank you AGAIN!!
Pablito!

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

Well done! I took2 pages of notes. I have 3 peach trees that are having a nice rest this year as the spring weather in these parts froze off all the blooms. Long story. But the trees look fantastic. I intend to prune them heavy in the late fall to open up the center so more sunlight can get into the tree and hopefull next year will be a bumper crop if the weather cooperates! My indoor gardening is in it's infancy and I am mostly experimenting with plain ole bag seed and have constructed a 12x12 space. This winter I will have a heated garage as my can fan exhausts into it. I call this strain "U.P. Gold" not to be confused with Michigan's Upper Penninsula but for "Unknown Phenotypes!" I know! I'm facken hilarious!!! :rolleyes: But a big THANK YOU and a tip of the hat to you for all the work you have put into this thread. Very useful info. for an old "actual" gardener but a TOTAL NOOB indoor gardener like me. Totally on the same page with clear cut goals and objectives being in place before a course of action is undertaken. I see no problem applying this thinking to life in general not just to gardening/pruning. Thank you AGAIN!!
Pablito!

Thank you very much.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

We have only done that with about 4 strains so far, however even the lower yields are quite high considering the strain.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I don't care what he calls it, just don't call me late to dinner! Showin' us amateurs how it's done...

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

These plants were toped or defoliated on the 4th. The cotton candy OG is the only thing i ever top a second time, or top during flower. There is just no way around it, its on the ceiling by he end of week 1. The 4th was right around 3 weeks and they just went crazy after the defoliation/topping - they consumed half of the nutrient solution, 200 ppms.

Coton candy on the 4th, 5th and 6th.

IMGP0742
IMGP0940
IMGP0991

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

DS if one have a plants that when I started to flower I notice that its hard to keep all the branches from getting light and when on the 26 day of last big defoliated I had to cut more than 25 set of leaves just so almost every branch can get light also there were many branches inside the plants that probably wound get enough light with this effect my plant bud growth do you think the plant will get stunned by taking out too much leaves thanks

Top Bottom