It’s Strawberry Season! KK’s SC x Str Diesel; Or Diesel x Str Diesel

• Thread starter Disambiguator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Disambiguator

Disambiguator

do ya mean mosaic virus? looks like it could be...

neverbreak
'mosaic' was what I meant. that's what i thought it was at first but now I'm thinking that root aphids and/or some other pests got to it. It wasn't responding to feeding, growth all but ceased, so I dumped it a week ago. No need to dwell on the one plant in my garden that got sick when everything else I look at is green and happy.

I'm liking what I see, mota. these are some strong, vigorous crosses. The LC #1 really jumped out of the gates. The LC #2 was a little bit slower FYI.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Thanks for the update Disambiguator! These plants all seem to be loving your growing skills. Good luck with the rest of your grow. I will be watching. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Disambiguator

Disambiguator

Hi nugzz. Once you get your balance, riding the wave is easy- that's the part that you are seeing here. Catching the wave is the tough part. You can explain to people how you got up and what the ride is like, but ultimately everyone has to "feel" the wave and get up on it by themselves. Every once in awhile I get carried away and walk the board a little too much to the chagrin of some of my plants but for the most part I keep it steady and am having a solid if not the most glamorous of rides.

Mechanically sound substrate- support, absorption, air, tilth
Diverse nutrient and microbe sources- they are one and the same.
EM inoculation- bringing in exogenous microbes to perform specialized tasks.

Microbes digest and excrete nutrients. Some die and become nutrient storage containers. Microbes are not only the engine that powers nutrient cycling, microbes are the nutrients.

A little Monday afternoon growing philosophy.

neverbreak

neverbreak

true bro, microbes are what all other life depends on. it's incredible how everything relies on them including ourselves. as a matter of fact, in terms of numbers (not mass) 90% of our bodies are made up of bacterial cells!! crazy fact to try to wrap ya head around!

neverbreak

Disambiguator

Disambiguator

true bro, microbes are what all other life depends on. it's incredible how everything relies on them including ourselves. as a matter of fact, in terms of numbers (not mass) 90% of our bodies are made up of bacterial cells!! crazy fact to try to wrap ya head around!

neverbreak
We’re not only on the same page, bro, we’re practically on the same sentence!

The Human Microbinome Project, a five year study involving 200 doctors and 250+ patients wrapped up a couple of weeks ago and the findings, like those of the human genome, will be coming in for years.
“It is hoped that the HMP will not only identify new ways to determine health and predisposition to diseases but also define the parameters needed to design, implement and monitor strategies for intentionally manipulating the human microbiota, to optimize its performance in the context of an individual's physiology.”
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Microbiome_Project

For a century, doctors have waged war against bacteria, using antibiotics as their weapons. But that relationship is changing as scientists become more familiar with the 100 trillion microbes that call us home — collectively known as the microbiome.
“I would like to lose the language of warfare,” said Julie Segre, a senior investigator at the National Human Genome Research Institute. “It does a disservice to all the bacteria that have co-evolved with us and are maintaining the health of our bodies.”
One way to restore microbiomes may be to selectively foster beneficial bacteria. To ward off dangerous skin pathogens like Staphylococcus aureus, for instance, Dr. Segre envisions applying a cream infused with nutrients for harmless skin bacteria to feed on. “It’s promoting the growth of the healthy bacteria that can then overtake the staph,” she said.
Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/science/studies-of-human-microbiome-yield-new-insights.html?pagewanted=all

"...promoting the growth of the healthy bacteria.” Does that sound familiar organic gardeners?

Other references:
http://www.hmpdacc.org/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18422288

So what does this have to do w/ growing marijuana? I think that the human body, yours and mine, can be a bridge to "microbial thinking". Microbes account for 9 out of every 10 cells in our bodies- microbes that began co-evolving w/ us long before we got off all 4’s and went erectus. Look at yourself, give yourself a pinch. The air that we breath is a sea of gasses and microbes. A handful of garden soil contains billions of microbes.

How can one work with or understand nature's processes w/o considering the health of the microbes that are omnipresent in nature?

neverbreak

neverbreak

love your post bro, it's great to see others thinking along the same lines and seeing the ultimate importance of microbes in every aspect of our life. they are basically the machines and run the planet and the grease on which every other organism depends upon. not only that, they are our ancestors! the first life on earth for microbial, bacterial in fact and they persist today, critical for all other life. it will be incredibly interesting to see what further advances in technology and our understanding of microbial life has to teach us in the future.

neverbreak

Disambiguator

Disambiguator

Here’s an example of the “microbial thinking” I use in the grow room. The last batch of soil that I mixed up came in at 6.0pH. Over the course of a couple of days, however, it rose almost a point, to 6.9 which is a higher pH than what I want to start my plants out at during the veg cycle, so a I applied a simple microbial tea rule- bacteria rich teas raise the pH while fungal dominant teas lower the pH.

I made a tea of arctic humus, kelp, oat flower, (oat meal->cuisanart) and 1T molasses/5 gal RO H2O, brewed for 17 hours, (don’t want to go much over 24 hrs), added to the soil mix and the next day the pH had gone down to 6.3, 0.3 over target, but workable. A 190-200 EC solution of yucca extract will bring filtered, 7.1 water down to 5.8 overnight which can also be helpful in a stubborn situation. Bacterial dominant teas (fish, dairy cow manure, soy bean or crab meal, guanos (if you use them) + molasses, (ie 2-3 T/ 5 gal.) will raise the pH.

A properly balanced bacterial and fungal tea should always come in at or near 5.9-6.4 (my target numbers) in 17-24 hours. Once the microbes are balanced and working in harmony, the pH meter usually can take a rest. I use the EC meter to check drain every 2 or 3 feedings to monitor nutrient levels.

neverbreak

neverbreak

this is something i've been wanting to get into a lot recently. it's good to see others doing it successfully. keep up the good work bro!

neverbreak

Disambiguator

Disambiguator

Thank you, neverbreak.
Got a bit of a roll going so I might as well enjoy it while it lasts. lol
The finer the nutrient particle size, the more surface area the microbes have to "attach to" and feed from. It follows, that the more nutrient surface area, the the higher the level of microbial activity in the substrate be it a tea, or the soil and the soil water solution.
Additional milling of meals, (ie soybean, alfalfa, crustacean, fish bone etc), w/ a food processor or grinder is an easy and effective method of multiplying the nutrient surface area a million-fold. Furthermore, by varying the size of the meal granules, ie coarse, medium, and fine, we have, in essence, created a time release fertilizer. The diverse particle sizes will decompose at different rates- the smallest particles being the most immediately available. Using different particle sizes of organic materials to help regulate nutrient release has it's own acronym- WINs, (Water Insoluble Nutrients.)

I flipped the LC#2's -> flower last night. The LC#1's were potted up to 3 gal. @ 21 days which qualifies it as a fast starter in my grow culture. c4n

Disambiguator

Disambiguator

Mid-Term Examination
LC #2 (Orange Diesel x Strawberry Diesel)

Flowering plant in 2 gal at left was flipped early (24 days veg) and has been in flower for 3 weeks. Plant on the right was flipped July 5 which puts it @ 6 days in flower. I've found that the ladies don't give a lot of stretch in veg which could be the result of something in my growing style or maybe that's just the way they grow. In any case, they make up for their early "unruliness" after about 10 days in flower and transform into neat, tidy little Christmas trees that fit in nicely w/ the larger, open branched strains that I'm running giving me more bang for the buck in my grow room. This might be a nice strain to fill my new flower room w/ a modified sog.

Lc mid1

Lc mid2
Lc mid3
Lc mid4
Lc mid5

Regardless of what you think about some of the quasi spiritual aspects of Biodynamics, (I see some of Steiner's ideas in a historical context- ie pre- Krebs cycle), Biodynamic compost rocks. I make a simple tea- 2 cup compost, 1 T molasses, 5 gal filtered water and give the plants 2 feedings during the first 10 days of flower and begin introducing a little P after that. @ 2-3 weeks I might add some water soluble, mined Potassium-Magnesium Sulfate depending upon strain and visual appearance.

Lc mu1
Lc mu2

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

They are coming along beautifully. Thanks again for the great show Disambiguator! Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Disambiguator

Disambiguator

Thanks nugzz. I brushed one while watering the other day and a nice, tart orange scent floated up- not like the musky orange I get from the fruit but a "sharp", orange zest. I picked up the strawberry at different points during veg which was interesting to me considering I've never grown anything "strawberry" before. Can't wait to taste it after it all comes together.

There are some tasks that I should only perform before or after a session and not in the middle of one. Counting days on a calendar would be one of those tasks. The little lady in the 2 gal got flipped @ 31 days veg not the 24 days as reported.The little lady stretched out about 1/3 in height and breadth during the first 2 weeks of flower. It's looking like the 3 gal ladies that I kept in veg longer will, at least, double their size in early flower which is where this strain's shape really kicks in. Nice, solid fat stalks which you can't really see in the pics.

All positive vibes.

215 User

215 User

Your bunch looks very nice Disambiguator.....

Like your compost and gonna try some in a few weeks.Every day is a day closer to harvesting so enjoy the fruits of your labor!

One Love

Disambiguator

Disambiguator

Hey bro, thanks.
I was trancing on these last night and "emerald velvet" came to mind. Rich, saturated, dark green foliage. The side branches are like mini stalks. Easy to root. Uniform. Architectural. They take their time to unfold so best to kick back and be patient, (<-talking to self.) A real beauty in the gr.

Disambiguator

Disambiguator

Here's some of that "emerald velvet" that I was tripping out on the other night-
Lc2 1

The little lady that was flipped @ 4 1/2 weeks in 1.7 gallon container.
Lc2 2

Lc2 3

One of the LC #2's in 3 gal flipped 2 weeks later @ 6 1/2 weeks-

Lc2 4

I've got 3 of these ^^, (one male sneaked by me) and they all look alike. if there are any slight pheno differences, I have yet to discover them. I've got the male quarantined and am wondering what to do w/ it. Any suggestions? lol

Lc2 5

Lc2 6

Size comparison- 6 1/2 weeks veg and 4 1/2 weeks veg. The little lady put on most of its cola stretch in the first 3 weeks of flower and I'm expecting the same proportional increase in size w/ the big babes.

Lc2 7

A sneak peak of Lung Candy #1 (KK's Str Cough x Str Diesel)

Lungcandy1 veg

Backing up the genetics. lol

Lungcandy1 2clone

Maybe you can tell, maybe not. I ran into a little bump in the road w/ the soil mix for the LC#1's. Problem was corrected and got them back on the wave but probably lost a week in the process. It's not the first time I've screwed up, won't be the last, it's just that my mistakes don't show up as a matter of public record very often. ;-)

soserthc1

soserthc1

plant's are looking nice disambiguator interested in the lung candy #2 as mota was kind enough to grace me with some, which I will be popping soon as weather breaks been insanely hot this summer.... respect soser

Disambiguator

Disambiguator

Thanks nugzz and soser!
I only know one thing that males are good for...
~nugzz
What? Peeing on toilet seats?

plant's are looking nice disambiguator interested in the lung candy #2 as mota was kind enough to grace me with some, which I will be popping soon as weather breaks been insanely hot this summer.... respect soser
I hope you do a thread. It would be very interesting to me, and to others, I'm sure, to see these rocking in an outdoor culture. Keep us posted.

Get ready to drool. I pulled a half dozen baby buds out of the interior of the "little lady" last night and got my first real taste of the aroma profile. Wow!! The first note was a surprise- honey vanilla which was followed up by what else? Strawberry! Unadulterated, kick-ass strawberry. As I mentioned, I've never grown anything "strawberry" before, so this was shear delight. As I continued to fill up my nose in search of orange, the strawberry scent transformed into a "sour gum" strawberry. Wasn't able to differentiate the orange. Strawberry dominates. I went back later to recheck my sense perception and was met w/ vanilla again. Strawberry Ice Cream.

This is a first blush and shouldn't be confused w/ a dried and cured profile, but it does give a hint of some of the good things to come. I must say, I am pleasantly surprised by the richness of the strawberry aromatics of this cross.

soserthc1

soserthc1

sounds really interesting temping me to pop some now but i really must wait.. and yes i will do a thread but gotta finish the two i am working on first... good luck bro... kill it.......peace soser

Disambiguator

Disambiguator

I'll get over and see what you're up to. I haven't been getting around to see wazzup as much as I'd like to...yet. And yes, the single steps are huge... one at a time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom