Ive come to the conclusion. How do u deal with?

• Thread starter Tylerm1712
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

AGAIN I want to make clear that I'm not disputing the results that you guys are seeing...

Eg like no benefits to fabric.

TSD

TSD

Agreed, every grow is different, and certainly bags are not for everyone. There's upsides and downsides to most anything, and it often boils down to convenience or simply preference.

I agree putting them in the ground is highly beneficial. Especially if you live in an overly hot zone. Regardless, it boils down to having good root penetration and maintaining proper substrate drainage. I think when you plant things in a higher elevation, especially in places with troublesome compacted clays, difficult soils, planting them in elevated area's gives them a real advantage, overall.

I also think when planting in soil, the specific considerations surrounding that really matter, but if it's done with a bit of forethought, the payout can be huge.
Yeah I don’t just chuck em in a hole lol, I fill it with my pre made soil mixture that has been baking in tubs for a month or more. I'm zone 4 so I have to start inside regardless. Our summers can be very hot and I definitely didn't take into consideration how fast they would dry out in the elements.... so instead of 3 trees in my garden, there were 6. I just got so mad about the pots one day and how sad my girls looked due to me not being able to figure out the damn pots, that I cut them right in half and made hubs help me get them to the holes... there may have been some colorful language that day, but no casualties and within a week they were back to thriving like they had been inside. Moral of the story... stick to what you know lol. I had a good year despite several setbacks, so I'm happy. My husband on the other hand, did not realize that they turn into trees in the ground... thank God our state legalized... poor guy was still a stress case all summer. 🤣

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

Wait... there is probably a reason you do t see a difference and I don't doubt you one bit but let's not just assume that because you didn't that the pots don't make any difference.

Again I'm not at all doubting your experience. Rather suggesting there may be another reason involved.
Gotta agree with ponky. I don't see a difference in yield. All I see is gnats coming out the bottom drain holes.

Ponky

Ponky

AGAIN I want to make clear that I'm not disputing the results that you guys are seeing...

Eg like no benefits to fabric.
We need to compare fabric to the classic plastic bale outdoor plant. Or see what guys with 15 footers use. They'd know

TSD

TSD

They use the large white bales or they build these boxes. I've ever seen people plant them into straight earth. But if they have the soil for it why not.
I suppose on a large scale, digging holes and filling them with amended soil is not plausible. I know I busted my ass this year and I only had a dozen.

Ponky

Ponky

I suppose on a large scale, digging holes and filling them with amended soil is not plausible. I know I busted my ass this year and I only had a dozen.
I don't have the conditions for good outdoor growing. Here it's greenhouse. Down in California some of those places are doing acres. Row after row of black tubes and bales. Looks like you'd need a bunch of farm hands. They must be making extracts.

Keifer2k3

Keifer2k3

They have a huge advantage to air exchange... the more suface area exposure to to air the better the gas exchange.

Plastic pots can heat up, don't breath near as well... where fabric breathe well and stay cool from evaporation.

Moldy? I mean if your pots are moldy you have an issue.... now if your seeing what you think is mild and is actually beneficial myco then I can understand the confusion.

Fabric are more costly and I don't feel they should be reused. That just part of the item. But that doesn't make them stupid by any means.
I love them. It's harder to overwater, the roots get more fresh oxygen, runoff is better when watered well. You don't want stagnant water or salt buidup so with fast evaporation and watering to about 20% runoff helps prevent. Plus I've found if you do run into plant health issues they don't use much water. In fabric that water will evaporate on its own so it doesn't get stagnant. I would only use them indoors. I use 3 gallon bags.
20211025 144314
20211025 143924
20211025 143901
If im outdoors i plant in the ground but we have great black soil where I am

Coronado_organics

Coronado_organics

That if you have more then a couple plants these fabric pots suck ass. How do you guys deal with them. Every time I water they just leak out the sides everywhere and get water all over the floor in my tent.
You know I used to use fabric pots I bought into the hype then realized hey I was still getting amazing growth from plastic pots so I switched back did research and found there really isn’t any real benefits to using fabric pots.

Ponky

Ponky

Do fabric pots compost, or is it microplastic waste. Washing artificial fibers tends to break them up, and we are finding the stuff everywhere, not just in our smoke. There are papers on how washing machines are doing this.

I quite like reusing my pots. Even nursery trays. A plant pot is for life. It's a tradeable commodity.

If you like bags, think about air pots or actual pot. That's what people outside our often misguided community use.

The cost isn't 2$ as it's not even financial. Getting that amount of plastic back out of our eco system is a huge task. I won't support the manufacture of single use plastic products.
They're a textile made from polypropylene. So about as bad as it gets. Especially since the small fibers can only really become micro plastic. And you can't recycle them.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well idk I see a huge difference. But hey to each thier own... anyone else have pics they care to share of the difference or we just going by I didn't notice?

20201201 134953
IMG 20200702 134442

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They're a textile made from polypropylene. So about as bad as it gets. Especially since the small fibers can only really become micro plastic. And you can't recycle them.
Do fabric pots compost, or is it microplastic waste. Washing artificial fibers tends to break them up, and we are finding the stuff everywhere, not just in our smoke. There are papers on how washing machines are doing this.

I quite like reusing my pots. Even nursery trays. A plant pot is for life. It's a tradeable commodity.

If you like bags, think about air pots or actual pot. That's what people outside our often misguided community use.

The cost isn't 2$ as it's not even financial. Getting that amount of plastic back out of our eco system is a huge task. I won't support the manufacture of single use plastic products.
Consider most are made from recycled plastic.... but hey I agree plastics are a problem.
Not all of them are made with plastics but all your nursery pots are.

I'm not gonna get into a big moral debate.

If they work for ya great if they don't great... but uts an absolute fact they breathe better. Not even something to dispute.

Don't forget the syle of grow make a difference and I hear the same suff about VPD until someone changes and see the difference when you have growth rates that are much faster and all of a sudden it's oh I see.

totamus

totamus

That if you have more then a couple plants these fabric pots suck ass. How do you guys deal with them. Every time I water they just leak out the sides everywhere and get water all over the floor in my tent.
I loved the concept of fabric pots, and bought 10 of them. After a couple of grows though, I switched back. The reason I did was that in each and every case the stalks of the plants in the fabric plant were small/wimpy. After harvest, I would remove the stalk/root system, and it was small, wispy - no large roots, just all little shoots. When I do the same thing with plastic, the root system is robust and much more developed than those from fabric. The stalk diameter is at LEAST twice as large.

As soon as I switched back, the plants again had larger, healthier stalks. Many growers online say that the fabric pots self trim the root system, and that the larger roots from plastic are bad because they tend to form circularly in the pot. Personally, I don't care if the roots are circular, or draw doodles. I like to see a healthy stalk!!

In some forum somewhere, a contributor advised to use a larger fabric pot to get the same results as a smaller plastic pot. He believed that the self trimming of fabric pots created an unusable zone that had to be accounted for. He advised using a 5 gal fabric pot to replace a 3 gal plastic. That made sense to me, and served to cement my opinion that I did not want to use fabric any more.

At this point, I am usually getting 5-7 ozs per plant, and part of that (I believe) is because I stopped using the fabric pots.

I just harvested two plants, and filled a 5 gal pail about 2/3s full with trimmed, dank buds. I used 3 gal plastic pots from Home Depot to grow in.
Bud1
Bud2

TSD

TSD

I don't have the conditions for good outdoor growing. Here it's greenhouse. Down in California some of those places are doing acres. Row after row of black tubes and bales. Looks like you'd need a bunch of farm hands. They must be making extracts.
Yeah I've seen pics of the tree farms in Cali, it's crazy.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok enviro warriors... plastic is not equal and the fabric pots are made from polypropylene that's BPA free and usually recycled plastics.... nursery pots?

I loved the concept of fabric pots, and bought 10 of them. After a couple of grows though, I switched back. The reason I did was that in each and every case the stalks of the plants in the fabric plant were small/wimpy. After harvest, I would remove the stalk/root system, and it was small, wispy - no large roots, just all little shoots. When I do the same thing with plastic, the root system is robust and much more developed than those from fabric. The stalk diameter is at LEAST twice as large.

As soon as I switched back, the plants again had larger, healthier stalks. Many growers online say that the fabric pots self trim the root system, and that the larger roots from plastic are bad because they tend to form circularly in the pot. Personally, I don't care if the roots are circular, or draw doodles. I like to see a healthy stalk!!

In some forum somewhere, a contributor advised to use a larger fabric pot to get the same results as a smaller plastic pot. He believed that the self trimming of fabric pots created an unusable zone that had to be accounted for. He advised using a 5 gal fabric pot to replace a 3 gal plastic. That made sense to me, and served to cement my opinion that I did not want to use fabric any more.

At this point, I am usually getting 5-7 ozs per plant, and part of that (I believe) is because I stopped using the fabric pots.

I just harvested two plants, and filled a 5 gal pail about 2/3s full with trimmed, dank buds. I used 3 gal plastic pots from Home Depot to grow in.View attachment 1182208View attachment 1182209
This goes against evidence of anyone who grows in them and the facts of how they work lmao... im outs this bioscience based on bias observation thread.

Idk 1 gal fabric see to give some pretty big stalks and roots for me. Much more so that non breathable plastic.

I've looked at some of you all pics and case see why you lrob don't see any improvement and make the claims they don't work as well.

The info in this thread is just kinda head scratching. Maybe try the nail through the stem at harvest I hear it gives more resin.

Smh I'm out. Stalks 2x as big from using plastic pots... 🤔

20210101 190123
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Ok. My simple recipe is: 4 gallons of water. One 50 gram scoop of maxigrow or bloom. 60 ml peroxide. Changes once every week. Top up with water and peroxide as needed midweek. Aerate. I didn't even PH. Great finsh. And yield. Apparently you can go straight water and peroxide for the last 2 weeks. If you want to save on nutrients. Run 2 airstones per 5 gallon bucket.
What's the peroxide for ponky?

Top Bottom