Janus Treatise on Growing

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Janus

PVC is 1/2" and used for plant stakes. Add a coupler and another 2' section when the plants get bigger.

Recirc. Rezs are sunk below ground level. Gravity drain.

Milwaukee DO meter.

Any brand of infrared is fine.

Good luck

Janus thanks for posting your finding and research. Amazing!! Not only your finding but the system you got going.

I reviewed the entire thread and I Got a few questions for you.

In your veg system I can see a vertical pvc pipe. Is that for plant support or for air circulation. Obviously via your flowering pics can not tell if there is one in the flowering setup. Nice trees.

Is your nutrient is re-circulating?
if so, what give the nutrient power to return to the res?

Any recommended brands of do meter?
infrared thermometer?

For plant tissue testing did you use a kit?
any recommendations? (for tissue testing)

Thanks for your time.

J

Janus

#4 is smaller than Big and Chunky. The smaller stuff holds more water. Or said another way, it holds less oxygen.

Yup, single 1/4" line into each bkt T off twice to equal 4 drippers. Drippers are a PIA but produce a slightly better result than cycling the water.

Curious why you dont use #4 grade perlite ? Do you just T off the 2 1/4 feed lines that are going 24/7 and put a dripper at each end of the T? That is how I would do it..but I've also never done it before and don't know if it would work till I tried! I'm still playin in dirt boxes...but this winter..it's on.

L

Lost

Love the Big and Chunky. Too bad the machine got destroyed and they have to build another from scratch. Notice that there is no big and chunky out there on the west coast?

Apache69

Apache69

Hello and thank you for all of this great info. In you opinion what is the ideal EC or PPM for flowering, on average? Also, do you run 70%RH throughout the Flowering period? Thank you in advance for any help.

Cheer,

J

Janus

Machine destroyed, eh? That sounds like internet folklore. Sunlight just got a massive delivery of the stuff a few weeks ago. At least 3x over the last 5 years they run out and get severely back-ordered. Eventually they get caught up.

Ideal EC for flowering is very plant and time specific. Some only max out at 2.0 and others up around 2.7. One of the biggest benefits of a recirc system like this is you can monitor the solution in real-time. When things are balanced EC slowly ticks down while PH slowly ticks up. After the flip stay on veg nutes till ph starts moving slowly down. It means they're starting to chow the P & K.

70% throughout the entire cycle is about right. Just be prepared for the big RH spike after lights out. If running at 70% during the day with the room full of vegetation the RH will easily hit 85%+ within a couple hours of lights out. Vent or run dehueys to handle. I usually start both just before lights out and pull to 55% for the last hour so to get a head-start before it jumps.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Professional and very informative, thanks Janus

G81

L

Lost

Machine destroyed, eh? That sounds like internet folklore. Sunlight just got a massive delivery of the stuff a few weeks ago. At least 3x over the last 5 years they run out and get severely back-ordered. Eventually they get caught up.

Ideal EC for flowering is very plant and time specific. Some only max out at 2.0 and others up around 2.7. One of the biggest benefits of a recirc system like this is you can monitor the solution in real-time. When things are balanced EC slowly ticks down while PH slowly ticks up. After the flip stay on veg nutes till ph starts moving slowly down. It means they're starting to chow the P & K.

70% throughout the entire cycle is about right. Just be prepared for the big RH spike after lights out. If running at 70% during the day with the room full of vegetation the RH will easily hit 85%+ within a couple hours of lights out. Vent or run dehueys to handle. I usually start both just before lights out and pull to 55% for the last hour so to get a head-start before it jumps.

Thats what sunlight told my local shop *Shrugs*, I was there when they called. But since I posted it on the internet it must be rumor? Glad they are finallt getting some in.

A

antimatter

How did I miss this thread :D

Janus curious about your Co2 comment, I personally air cool my rooms no co2 enrichment other then whats outside but I noticed you mentioned 1000 ppm max bottled would you say you get maximum growth rates and save 50% on co2 costs by doing so? does going from 1000 to 1500 ppm require more co2 then going from 500-1000 ppm?

J

Jalisco Kid

How did I miss this thread :D

Janus curious about your Co2 comment, I personally air cool my rooms no co2 enrichment other then whats outside but I noticed you mentioned 1000 ppm max bottled would you say you get maximum growth rates and save 50% on co2 costs by doing so? does going from 1000 to 1500 ppm require more co2 then going from 500-1000 ppm?

One part per million is one part per million whether it is in a group of 5 ppm or 999,000 ppm. JK

A

antimatter

One part per million is one part per million whether it is in a group of 5 ppm or 999,000 ppm. JK

That is what I figured even though it sorta sounds like a stupid question, I just recall people saying they hardly ever have to change there tanks when running 1000-1200 in comparison to 1500.

foaf

foaf

Hi Janus.. good to see you around. :)

as far as the CO2 issue, if the reason you lose CO2 is some mixing with outside air, then you do lose more parts per million as you go higher on the range when they mix. Consider this thought experiment... ambient air is about 400. If, just say, you have a room running at 1000 ppm. If you mixed half of that air with ambient from venting or leaks or whatever, then at the end you end up with 700, a "loss" of 300 parts per million. If you are running at 2000 ppm, and you mix your room with 1/2 ambient air, you end up with 1200 ppm, an appearent loss of 800 ppm. So with the same amount of mixing loss, you have more parts per million to add, to keep up with your settings if you run higher in the common range.

S

Socachi

Janus some great info up front, diggin those trees you got growin. Any pics of the trunks, bet they're huge. Really diggin your setup, at first I thought it was a DWC from first look, then a drip and DWC. But I see that was wrong. Any updates on the grow.

Thanks for all the info.

Socachi

M

MediMary

This thread is great janus, thanks for sharing, and ur system is badass JK. DAMN!

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

to preface my question, i know gpw is very strain dependent, and on all factors. what's your peak gpw? i've read of dtw systems in soilless that achieve 1 gpw, watering every 3-4 days (not 'optimum' DO). it makes me wonder how necessary it is to water 24/7. i'm sure it keeps the lines from clogging - does it increase yield? tia

M

MediMary

Hey janus, by chance do you have a link to the studies on hydroclay as a medium, looked on the net but couldnt find anything conclusive ... thanks:)
glad you are around enjoy your threads and posts very much !

J

Janus

Sorry, Mary I don't have the research on the LECA. I was told by a reputable PhD in the field that they had done trials but I'm not sure it was ever published.

Thanks for the welcome back.

M

mrdizzle

to preface my question, i know gpw is very strain dependent, and on all factors. what's your peak gpw? i've read of dtw systems in soilless that achieve 1 gpw, watering every 3-4 days (not 'optimum' DO). it makes me wonder how necessary it is to water 24/7. i'm sure it keeps the lines from clogging - does it increase yield? tia

hey buddy, I think Ive concluded that the DO in janus 24/7 watering schedule speeds up the veg growth to get you there quicker much like RDWC.

Im not sure Im convinced that it equals bigger buds or heavier yeilds assuming the plants are the same size I think both with put out equal sized buds ect, but something could be said for the ability to monitor the PH and PPm in your rootzone while feeding every 3-4days there is a little more guessing involved

Latest posts

Top Bottom