Jumping Right In! Brand New Set Up

• Thread starter Goodthingsgrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
No one talks about VPD in cloning but it's actually an essential concept to understand for the process to be successful. The goal is to actually keep our plants out of the "happy" zone so they can relax and not have to transpire without roots.

If you look at the chart around 77゚and below, 80% humidity gets you into the red zone. But as temperature increases into the eighties, all of a sudden you're in the zone where plants are doing their thing like they were in a normal state and RH needs to be higher to "turn them off"

Does this make sense?

Lower temps allow you to to utilize a lower rh.
Screenshot 20201210 113950 Gallery

What you dont want is all the way to the left where the values are zero. Zero bad.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

No one talks about VPD in cloning but it's actually an essential concept to understand for the process to be successful. The goal is to actually keep our plants out of the "happy" zone so they can relax and not have to transpire without roots.

If you look at the chart around 77゚and below, 80% humidity gets you into the red zone. But as temperature increases into the eighties, all of a sudden you're in the zone where plants are doing their thing like they were in a normal state and RH needs to be higher to "turn them off"

Does this make sense?

View attachment 1065985
What you dont want is all the way to the left where the values are zero. Zero bad.
Yeah VPD is important. I also find my ideal temo first then adjust RH to the temp but always taking leaf temps into account. Quite often you will find leaf tenp and soil temp are very close

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Does this make sense?

View attachment 1065985
Did you say we are trying to keep them ‘out’ of the happy zone? Are we trying to get as close to one (the green) as possible?

amekins

amekins

Did you say we are trying to keep them ‘out’ of the happy zone? Are we trying to get as close to one (the green) as possible?
No happy zone when trying to root because it demands too much of the plant without a root system to support it. So, let the plant NOT transpire and instead use its energy to root.

The knowledgeable dudes will correct if I have this wrong.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

KPA of about 0.4-0.6 for clones not yet rooted. Once rooted 0.4 to 0.8

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Yes, out. But I was probably being overly simple. @amekins said it great. And if you look at @Aqua Man #'s that is right at that red zone I'm talking about. 👍

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

KPA of about 0.4-0.6 for clones not yet rooted. Once rooted 0.4 to 0.8

Remember these are guidelines not hard rules. Just because your a bit out does not mean they won't root

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes, out. But I was probably being overly simple. @amekins said it great. And if you look at @Aqua Man #'s that is right at that red zone I'm talking about. 👍
Generally speaking any rooted plant will do fine around 1.0 KPA start to finish. But the post i linked is putting things into ideal conditions for stage of growth. Like I say no hard rule but a good guideline for optimal VPD.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

No happy zone when trying to root because it demands too much of the plant without a root system to support it. So, let the plant NOT transpire and instead use its energy to root.

The knowledgeable dudes will correct if I have this wrong.
Nope absolutely right. We want to reduce transpiration to a minimum without eliminating it. Even though they have no roots they will take up a tiny amount of water.

Top Bottom