Jumping Right In! Brand New Set Up

• Thread starter Goodthingsgrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You guys prob know this and @Aqua Man already has mentioned this a few times but.. Don’t forget that the vpd isn’t a fixed chart. It fluctuates as the data points (rh %, temp, leaf temp) fluctuate.
Yeah absolutely need to take leaf temps into account. Depending on the lighting used, transpiration rates co2 etc these can change the desire RH by alot.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Hey guys.
Since our last conversation, I have been involved in a long, hurry up and wait battle with the heat mat.
It started yesterday just before noon when I was clued in to the VPD and seeing my set up was way out of whack.
Turning the heat mat thermostat to the lowest setting and putting a towel under the tray didn’t quite work.
The temps would fluctuate from 72 to 85 as the stat kicked on and off with the humidity following in stride. It was evident it had to go. I plugged the mat in directly and waited for the hygrometer readings to stabilize. Now it is pumping out a constant 83 but the humidity was still down at 60.
I tried doubling the trays; I think I got a 1F drop.
Then a wire shelf from a bar fridge to lift it up off the mat. Wait for hygrometer stabilization. Small decrease in temp until the wire shelf heated up.
Tried a wire shelf on top of the wire shelf. Wait again. Small amount again but I’m seeing the humidity rise as the temp lowers. Awesome! Finally a light at the end of the tunnel.
This time I decide to jack it up a full inch with some extra pieces of quartz from the shower sill. I put 2 pieces along each side of the tray like skis and propped up both shelves and all. This made a dramatic difference. Obviously, it would right?
It still needed a little less heat so I added more tiles. I do believe I’m there!
According to my VPD calculations, I’m at the ~0.4kpa mark.
Now if I only had and followed this information from the beginning, things would probably be a lot different in the clone tray.

818AC945 7D66 4954 84CB 915672F525C3
FDE25AAB FF1A 4F25 AE82 0925BF053552
Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

It has now been 10 days since I cut my clones. I have 12/20 left. After my heat and humidity issues it doesn’t surprise me.
I can‘t see any roots yet but the 12 fighters are still beautifully upright. There’s a few that have yellowing leaves.
I think that is a good sign that the plant is taking what it needs from the leaves while it survives and makes roots.?

3100A9E0 772C 4C94 8758 64ABAB78F960
19E58FC8 AC40 4A00 B2F8 3CF890B38BEB
Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

This is an older leaf.
It’s one of about 4 like this from the bottom. A couple fell off on their own and one as soon as I touched it.
I‘m attempting self diagnosis; early nitrogen deficiency. Would anyone have a second opinion?

13578287 C7B6 4685 A717 2A7FC1ECFD7F
Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Well, this is where I’m at.
23 days since cloning. It has been a challenge, that’s for sure.
I started off with 20. I have 11 left in the tray. 7 have nice thick root spikes protruding from the starter cubes. The other 4 are still standing but not showing roots. If I look down into the hole, I see white, which could be root sprouts.
They don’t look great but they’re alive! This whole experience has been very educational.
Thinking I might veg these for a bit then flower them just for fun because the Turbokloner is up and running and I’m pretty sure it will provide stronger plants than these.

89178F0C 2E86 432A 8256 3296E14565AD
Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

I cut a lot of extras. The strongest will move on to the next round.
Looks like you upgraded your cloning situation. It's that an aero cloner?

I like it. I'm considering this too. Getting tired of dealing with this rockwool bullshit. The idea of being able to see the roots as they grow and not be sitting there for days/ weeks wondering if anything is happening.

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

Damn dude you went from trying to clone to clone boss real quick!
What’s your plan with those moms?
Throw into flower soon?

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

I’ve also been dealing with a mother problem.
Some, actually quite a few, leaves fell off starting from the bottom up. I found that my soil was in dire need of a rinse. Or more so, a flush. The numbers in the runoff were very high.
I've been rinsing repeatedly, did one “final flush” to break down the salts and a kelp and fish foliar spray. The spray did wonders.
They‘re doing a lot better now.
Less is more! And water to good runoff!

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Looks like you upgraded your cloning situation. It's that an aero cloner?

I like it. I'm considering this too. Getting tired of dealing with this rockwool bullshit. The idea of being able to see the roots as they grow and not be sitting there for days/ weeks wondering if anything is happening.
Yes. Aeroponic.
This is five days.

844D1A28 95EA 4213 BB04 67CC8BA5A590
E46FC5A6 AA60 4020 8435 14E9993DE3F5
Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Damn dude you went from trying to clone to clone boss real quick!
What’s your plan with those moms?
Throw into flower soon?
I’m going to keep them until I get success. Then probably flower them. Two at least.
I have so many more strains to try.
I do feel much more confident with the turbokloner than with the rockwool starters.

Top Bottom