Jumping Right In! Brand New Set Up

• Thread starter Goodthingsgrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Thanks Aquaman.
I read the wash info in a few places. I will leave it at that.
The ammonia smell was present one time after a micro, bloom, grow.
Not strong, just slight. Haven’t smelled it since. If it was root rot would the smell be constant but worse after watering?
I actually think I may be underwatering. Gave them higher volume of water tonight. I‘ll check them in the morning.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks Aquaman.
I read the wash info in a few places. I will leave it at that.
The ammonia smell was present one time after a micro, bloom, grow.
Not strong, just slight. Haven’t smelled it since. If it was root rot would the smell be constant but worse after watering?
I actually think I may be underwatering. Gave them higher volume of water tonight. I‘ll check them in the morning.
If you have root rot it will manifest itself in the plant... strange damage, deficiencies etc. I think your over thinking it.

Water to saturate the media with runoff for synthetic which i think you are using? Water close to lights on so the plant has a chance to uptake as much water as possible before lights out so its not sitting in a soggy mess over night. Keep the water temp the same as the media temp and give it a good wet dry cycle before watering again.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

My apologies all.
Got defensive and carried away.

I was watering 2L of 6.5 ph spring water when the pots were very light. I have been watering when the light comes on. I have a heat mat under my water bottles keeping them at usually around 18 - 19*C.
I mentioned the ammonia once, I was not concerned with root rot to begin with.
I believe I am under watering.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My apologies all.
Got defensive and carried away.

I was watering 2L of 6.5 ph spring water when the pots were very light. I have been watering when the light comes on. I have a heat mat under my water bottles keeping them at usually around 18 - 19*C.
I mentioned the ammonia once, I was not concerned with root rot to begin with.
I believe I am under watering.
Water until runoff... don't be afraid to let them dry they recover fast but then you need to keep an eye on the soil for dry spots. If you weight a pot of soil dry then one saturated, record the difference say 2lb difference when the pot weights 0.5-0.75lb +dry weight its time to water if that makes sense. 25-30% soil moisture. This changes as the plant grows but if you do it a acouple times you will get a good idea just by picking them up... it will kinda give you a reference of what they should feel like when they should be watered.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Going to chop a few clones tomorrow.
I prepared the Grodan plugs with 5.5ph water. Have them in the tray warming up on the mat for tomorrow. We’ll see how the numbers compare tomorrow after sitting overnight.
Both excited and nervous.

ABE511A0 E474 41E7 A724 1CF3AFB6A091
Hortulanus

Hortulanus

I prepared the Grodan plugs with 5.5ph water. Have them in the tray warming up on the mat for tomorrow. We’ll see how the numbers compare tomorrow after sitting overnight.

you bought the rootfarm light? How you liking it? I ran their nutes for a couple grows outdoor last summer.

youre close enough that we could swap clones if you’re ever down. I’m right off the 401.

a4twenty

a4twenty

5.5 is ok for a soak to lossen up left over material from manufacturing but i like to flush out the cubes with something closer to 6 (5.8-6.0) before using.

good luck

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

I bought the root farm light to use on seeds and clones But didn’t realize it has a lux of 13k at the cubes through the dome when on the stand. It comes with hangers that I will probably put to use as a filler light somewhere else.

you bought the rootfarm light? How you liking it? I ran their nutes for a couple grows outdoor last summer.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

These will be my first cuttings. You may not even want them.

youre close enough that we could swap clones if you’re ever down. I’m right off the 401.
[/QUOTE]

a4twenty

a4twenty

Ok. Should I resoak? I haven’t done any yet. Have lots of time.
not soak, flush from above. it washes the material out and replaces it with straight water or whatever you're adding.

i said 5.8 to 6.0 because you said grodan and i assumed rockwool but looking through your pics they look black. not familiar with those so i will say around 5.8 - 6.0 for rockwool but if they're more of a soil type product closer to 6.3 - 6.5.

to be honest when I'm starting seeds in rockwool i just use distilled water. it has a ph of 7 while sealed but that quickly drops to the right range once exposed to the hydrogen in the air.

again, good luck and don't get too frustrated if you don't get it right the first time. it can take a little practice to get just right.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

not soak, flush from above. it washes the material out and replaces it with straight water or whatever you're adding.

i said 5.8 to 6.0 because you said grodan and i assumed rockwool but looking through your pics they look black. not familiar with those so i will say around 5.8 - 6.0 for rockwool but if they're more of a soil type product closer to 6.3 - 6.5.

to be honest when I'm starting seeds in rockwool i just use distilled water. it has a ph of 7 while sealed but that quickly drops to the right range once exposed to the hydrogen in the air.

again, good luck and don't get too frustrated if you don't get it right the first time. it can take a little practice to get just right.
Yes it is rockwool. The black you see is a cloth type material that I was trying to reduce the direct light. It works but gets too warm. I have since removed it and also won’t be using the light. I will put the tray in the small tent where I have more room to move the light.
I will now flush the cubes from above with spring water corrected to 5.9. It has a ph of 7.8 to start.
I have RO water coming tomorrow.
Nervous but loving it!

B2486AA7 D99E 4859 9AD2 CA6B6579A578
B4C12C4E 6597 4B3A BB02 F12CADA9E03B
Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Thank you a4twenty.
I flushed with 5.9 and put them back on the mat to heat up. Their temp really dropped. It’s cold in this basement. I’ve turned the mat up a bit for now and turned the light on to expedite things.
I hope the temp is not a bad omen.

BE66CD2C 2C39 44EE AEEE 5FA42EEE7693
Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

I took the light off of the stand and hung it from the ceiling. It is now providing 4K lux at the dome and 3k inside. I can lower it as I need to.

534BB275 8E54 48FC 9BC1 67DB90BE7E38
Top Bottom