Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I just realised, if I'm not going to put the solar generator in the trailer I have a much better option. I have a big Craftsman plastic tool box. Like a small automotive "job-box" with a tote handle and wheels. I might fit up to 4 batteries, but at least 2. That should fit everything and shorten a lot of cable runs to make it more efficient. I'll post up pics in a bit. Once I get it all laid out.

Then in the next few days I should be able to post up that wiring diagram I've been promising. Hehe.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

What prompted this was another look at my 1500w AC inverter. I was thinking it was 12v-48v, in increments of 12v, but that was just my charge controller. My inverter is 12v only and will work just as well, or better, than any 500w-600w. I just need to make sure to have enough batteries and panels to run whatever devices I'm using.

That saved me another $80-$100.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

1st Grow Log of 2019 03/30

Welcome to my Grow Log. This will be my third year of growing (third outdoor/second indoor), all recorded in this here diary. So if youve been following since the beginning you pretty much know everything I know about growing. If you're new, welcome. If you're a new grower, even better. My first year I was absolutely lost and I had no idea where to start. I began this diary to help first time growers.

This is the first season I feel confident in my understanding of the basic mechanics of growing. This is gonna be fun.

Just hatched 13 beans. Decided to skip the wet paper towels and go straight from a 12hr soak to very moist soil. It's so cold that I run a seedling heating mat under the beans from soak to veg. Because the mat doesnt keep an even temp I always get dry-out casualties in the paper towels. The soil stays warm and doesn't dry out easily.

Starting with five strains this year, Grape Alien Haze x Hyper Glue(3), Uzi Cookies(2 fem), Jack Herer(2 fem), Kashmir 99(3), and Death by Kush(3).
20190330 170217
20190330 165911
20190330 170044
20190330 170051
20190330 170102

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Some of my beans are a little older so their mortality rates are a bit higher. Lost two Death by Kush so far. They popped but fizzled. No biggie. The third might make it. Two Kashmir look to be in good form and the third is "iffy". Two of the Grape Alien haze might be dead, waiting to see if they color up, but the third looks promising. Old beans are almost always harder to start but these genetics are way worth the trouble and I got them at a great price, so, I'm still happy as a clam.

I dropped in the soak 1 fem Choc Diesel, 3 Blue Magoo x Hyper Cherry Pie, and 3 Tangie x C99. With what I just dropped, even with the losses, I should have plenty for both grows.

For the new grower, lightly abrade older seeds against a match-book (match-box) striker strip. This allows the water to permeate the seed coat more easily during the soak and will give you a better chance for hatching. Older beans will grow more slowly at first, so be patient. You can also add a small percentage of chlorine bleach to the soak water to weaken the seed coat. I havent done it before so I don't know the correct percentage. You'll need to look it up yourself.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

A bit of advice for the new growers. Don't get attached.

Some of your plants will go male (even a small % of fems go male), some will be killed by pests/disease, some beans won't hatch or will hatch and be weak. Just be persistent and observant and you'll keep your losses to a minimum.

...and don't be afraid to give your seedlings help out of the seadcoat and membrane. I've used a straight pin to carfully remove the coat and membrane from many of my girls. Before, when I was still afraid to do this, I lost a lot of beans to strangulation by the membrane. I lose far fewer hatchlings now.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Almost available...

...great, now I need to come up with another $400. But it'll be worth it. They're porting over my favorite VR game, Robo Recall. I can't even imagine how fun RR will be with a 4000sq ft of playing area. No more necessary teleporting except to climb buildings. The maps should completely fit into this area.

If the graphics are anywhere close to the rift then this may be the beginning of mainstream VR gaming. About friggin time.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 02/04/19

Been having trouble with germination and narrowed it down to probably a temp issue. When I started a few days ago it was much warmer and almost all my beans were popping their tails. Then the temps dropped at night and my trailer lowered into the upper 50'sF - lower 60'sF and all germination stopped/paused. Hooked up the Heat Bud 170-250w heater to a temp controller and set it up in the closet.
20190402 061721

I think this will fix the problem. Hopefully none of the beans were damaged or killed.

20190402 063339

In the process of building my solar generator cabinet and when I'm done with that I'll start work on the growroom. Will be partitioning part off a portion of it for dep.

I'm up to 26 beans and beanlings started. Ordered 20x 1gal smartpots yesterday. Had to dump the 15w t5 and kick on the 200w CXB unit. Started it dimmed as low as it can go and have been turning it up a little more each day and observing the effects on the hatchlings. It's been very positive so far and I think Im close to the sweet spot. The beanlings have slowed their stretch, turned straight up (those that were bent to the side), and the first leaf sets are opening up.
20190402 061241
20190402 061252

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The solar genny is almost ready. A few more wires to connect and a grounding stake, and she's done. I know it looks a little patchwork but the way components must be oriented and interconnected made design difficult. The next one I build will use stud bolt passthroughs instead of open holes. It'll make the connections look much cleaner. I have the passthroughs already but I was concentrating more on getting it functional than aesthetics.
20190402 191341

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 04/03/19 (indoor & outdoor seedlings)

Finally figured out the temperature drop inside my trailer when the last storm system came through stopped germination cold, literally. Okay, so what I learned is that once temps drop below 71F these beans I planted stop growing, maybe even die (once germination has started). Before anyone gets upset and tells me I don't know sh*t... I know this isn't true for all beans because the ones that came from my plants are more cold hearty and will happily germ in the low 60F's. I've read that it can take as little as a single generation for cannabis beans to adapt to the climate the parents were grown in. Now, I don't know if this is true, but based on my experiences, I think it's likely.

Here we go, 25 beans, all mixed up. I'll post a list tomorrow cause I'm too tired tonight. I dropped another 6 in the soak to bring the total to 31 tomorrow or the day aftet. My kill count is 4 so far; 1 Kashmir, 2 Death by Kush, and 1 Lemon Garlic. I'm really bummed about that last one cause Garlic are special to me. I've wanted to raise them since I first saw a pic of their trich formation in the Cannabis Encyclopedia. There's still two, and I have three more but it doesn't stop me from being bummed. The membrane was choking it and when I tried to help to help it the whole tail broke off. If it were a bigger plant I would have taped it but it was way too small and fragile.

Thank you @Srenots for hold my hand through this.

Now they're poppin all over the place.
20190403 222304
20190403 222207
20190403 222042
20190403 222056
20190403 222107
20190403 222115

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Finally figured out the temperature drop inside my trailer when the last storm system came through stopped germination cold, literally. Okay, so what I learned is that once temps drop below 71F these beans I planted stop growing, maybe even die (once germination has started). Before anyone gets upset and tells me I don't know sh*t... I know this isn't true for all beans because the ones that came from my plants are more cold hearty and will happily germ in the low 60F's. I've read that it can take as little as a single generation for cannabis beans to adapt to the climate the parents were grown in. Now, I don't know if this is true, but based on my experiences, I think it's likely.

Here we go, 25 beans, all mixed up. I'll post a list tomorrow cause I'm too tired tonight. I dropped another 6 in the soak to bring the total to 31 tomorrow or the day aftet. My kill count is 4 so far; 1 Kashmir, 2 Death by Kush, and 1 Lemon Garlic. I'm really bummed about that last one cause Garlic are special to me. I've wanted to raise them since I first saw a pic of their trich formation in the Cannabis Encyclopedia. There's still two, and I have three more but it doesn't stop me from being bummed. The membrane was choking it and when I tried to help to help it the whole tail broke off. If it were a bigger plant I would have taped it but it was way too small and fragile.

View attachment 864612 View attachment 864609 View attachment 864610 View attachment 864613 View attachment 864608 View attachment 864611

I always had problems germinating seeds when it is below 70 or so. I used to use light bulbs over a dark container which worked great but then i had to buy cfl not as hot and now led.

So i finally got a heat mat and controller. No more problems so far.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

My front porch is feeling really crowded. Picked up materials to expand it and begin my grow room. I will need more solar equipment and lights to utilise it but I've been a straight up street hustler this last week and I hope I'll start stackin Benji's soon.

20190403 202242
20190403 202138

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I always had problems germinating seeds when it is below 70 or so. I used to use light bulbs over a dark container which worked great but then i had to buy cfl not as hot and now led.

So i finally got a heat mat and controller. No more problems so far.

Had the heat mat and still wasn't warm enough. Set up my 180w-250w Heat Bud on a controller. That, along with my 200w CXB fixture was enough to keep it around 73F in the closet. I'm in the Cali Sierras in a trailer so day/night temp differentials can be massive and change suddenly. During the day it can drop from 60F-70F to below 40F in minutes. Same thing when the sun sets. That's what kills inexperienced hikers up here. They go out on a beautiful spring day in light clothing without bringing warm clothes and freeze to death by nightfall.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

...hey, to my friends on here...

If you've known me on here long enough then you know my cousin has been battling terminal cancer. I was told by his wife tonight that his oncologist is taking him off of chemotherapy because it's no longer doing any good. He's already been turned into a paraplegic by cancer in his spine about 6-8mos ago and now it's started growing at a rapid rate again in his liver. He's down to a 1/3 of a liver, a half kidney, and his pancreas recently stopped working. We have no reason to expect him to last much longer but he still chooses to fight for his life with everything he's got. I'm impressed and inspired by this man. He's outlived the original prognosis by 8-9yrs.

I'm asking my friends (or anyone willing) to pray for him. I have no interest in any theological debates so if you you don't agree then please refrain from commenting. I'm asking for your help because it doesn't get more serious than this and I believe every prayer counts. I'm almost certain he's going to die very soon but I still believe in miracles so if there's any chance at saving him, I'm all for it.

On the other side of this, he'll be survived by his adult daughter, wife, and 11yr old son. They could use the prayer support as much or more than him.

I'm truly blessed to have friends like you and over the last couple years you all have really made me feel like I'm part of a family here. Thank you all soooo much for your support and prayers.

Erick31876

Erick31876

I'll be praying for you and your family. I recently list my grandfather and mother to cancer, and my girlfriend's mom has stage 4 cancer. I know that every prayer counts. I will keep you and your family I'm my prayers.if there's anything I can do to help, feel free to let me know.

Srenots

Srenots

View attachment 864612 View attachment 864609 View attachment 864610 View attachment 864613 View attachment 864608 View attachment 864611

np bro...

Top Bottom