Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Bro, I sure wish I could help you out. Shyt you know me I love sharin knowledge :D But you have me stumped on this one. I only speak to what I know and sure would hate to have you fry your system based on bad intel. I do know your dimmer seems it would be wired with power from the wall coming to the dimmer and wired before the fixture so it can regulate the voltage. But I cannot say fur sure

I would reach out to ole sixstring a member here and see what he can share. He is a diy led guru. :)

Thanks for trying to help. Here's what MeanWell has to offer...
Screenshot 20190509 230320

If I'm reading this right, I should only connect the 2 dimmer wires to the Dim+/-. It says not to connect to Vo+/-. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me since single pair continues out the Vo+/- with full current from the driver. That would mean the dimmer must work differently depending the type of input.

All I care about right now is that it works. There'll be plenty of time later to figure out exactly 'how' it works.

Bummed that Sixstring is gone. Haven't heard anything out of him since GNomes' thread was shut down and the changing of the guard.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I think this must be him

Yeah, prolly.

I tried wiring the fixture the way MeanWell shows in the diagram and still no light. My problem is, I'm not sure what's doing what. Like, I know how a PWM & DC electricity works. I pretty much how the driver works too, but I have no idea what's going on in the PWM dimmer.

I think it'll work with the original driver that's "non-dimmable". In fact I'm going to hook it up and check in the morning. I hope it does cause that'll mean I have an extra dimmable driver that I just need to buy the chip for. I'll hook a 4000k CXB3590 100w to it and use it for clones. At 60w it doesn't really meed active cooling so I won't need to buy a fan and fan-driver...
20190510 004714

...I was wondering what was pushing the active cooling. It makes sense why these singles cost more han half the x2's. The x2 has the exact same fan driver but runs two fans. I'll price out componens tomorrow to see if DIY is cheaper and to see how much I need to build the clone/seedling/veg 1x CXB3590 4000k from the spare parts. I need to build a frame for the one I already have cause modifying the case isn't working out how I want.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah, prolly.

I tried wiring the fixture the way MeanWell shows in the diagram and still no light. My problem is, I'm not sure what's doing what. Like, I know how a PWM & DC electricity works. I pretty much how the driver works too, but I have no idea what's going on in the PWM dimmer.

I think it'll work with the original driver that's "non-dimmable". In fact I'm going to hook it up and check in the morning. I hope it does cause that'll mean I have an extra dimmable driver that I just need to buy the chip for. I'll hook a 4000k CXB3590 100w to it and use it for clones. At 60w it doesn't really meed active cooling so I won't need to buy a fan and fan-driver...
View attachment 869771
...I was wondering what was pushing the active cooling. It makes sense why these singles cost more han half the x2's. The x2 has the exact same fan driver but runs two fans. I'll price out componens tomorrow to see if DIY is cheaper and to see how much I need to build the clone/seedling/veg 1x CXB3590 4000k from the spare parts. I need to build a frame for the one I already have cause modifying the case isn't working out how I want.

I know almost nothing about electronics or led lighting. I am blown away by the projects you are in to. And how much work you do with the health issues posted.

Pretty awesome. Take it from another quite health challenged guy. I managed to get a house with no job but a couple of grow tents and now am too tired to fix it up. Lol.

So much work to do in every direction. Its boggling. I just take it slow and steady.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Sorry. If I knew you better, maybe (but you knew that). I will need trimmers this summer & fall but, I think my partners got that covered.

No offense intended. Cali made it legal but the Feds are still sitting in parked cars runnin drones (the new binocs) and power munchin donuts.
I’d get a plane ticket but the feds would prob have you on international charges for bringing in Canadian slave labour :p

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Sorry. If I knew you better, maybe (but you knew that). I will need trimmers this summer & fall but, I think my partners got that covered.

No offense intended. Cali made it legal but the Feds are still sitting in parked cars runnin drones (the new binocs) and power munchin donuts.

When I quote Monty Python, I'm joking. Have fun, I dread all the clipping. A lot of work!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I know almost nothing about electronics or led lighting. I am blown away by the projects you are in to. And how much work you do with the health issues posted.

Pretty awesome. Take it from another quite health challenged guy. I managed to get a house with no job but a couple of grow tents and now am too tired to fix it up. Lol.

So much work to do in every direction. Its boggling. I just take it slow and steady.

Oh, believe me, I pay a steep price for pushing myself. This ain't that bad, only 2.5x the sise of normal. A little more and the pressure itself will cause me pain.
20190510 011058
20190510 011035

I could barely walk yesterday from shovelin the day before. My average dailypain is about 7/10 (that's with the morphine and gabapentin, norco helps with break out pain).

I gotta push through it or nothing gets done. I do have goals in mind. I won't be doing this forever.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Oh, believe me, I pay a steep price for pushing myself. This ain't that bad, only 2.5x the sise of normal. A little more and the pressure itself will cause me pain.
View attachment 869776View attachment 869777
I could barely walk yesterday from shovelin the day before. My average dailypain is about 7/10 (that's with the morphine and gabapentin, norco helps with break out pain).

I gotta push through it or nothing gets done. I do have goals in mind. I won't be doing this forever.

Got a bad back myself. L3 L4 disc herniation. Pain is usually about 6. Runs to 10+ (sight, hearing non existent) at times. Keep pushing bro. We'll be out if here soon enough but in the meantime keep on keeping on.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Got a bad back myself. L3 L4 disc herniation. Pain is usually about 6. Runs to 10+ (sight, hearing non existent) at times. Keep pushing bro. We'll be out if here soon enough but in the meantime keep on keeping on.

Agreed, always good words from Dirty Joe (great movie). I don't plan on giving up the ghost anytime soon. I'm a gamer who waited over 35yrs for VR immersion. I didn't live this long to get taken out just as things are getting interesting. Watch the video I posted yesterday with the commercial grower explaining how he uses water to kill pests/fungus. That same water can be used to lower our body's pH. Cancer and a pile of other diseases can't grow in an alkaline environment. From what I can remember it'll even help lose weight and works on a number of disorders. My next $500 is going for a good quality tabletop water Ionizer.
51v6 xzudfL AC SY400

Combine this with an RO system and I'll finally feel safe drinking the water around here, meanwhile, combating lymphoma if I'm on the cusp of it developing.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Well the dimmer's schematic shows +/- in from the driver then +/- out to the fixture. Thats for a single pair driver. This model has 2 pair (1 pair voltage, 1 pair dimmer) and is supposed to be able to hook for a true PWM. So I'm figuring the driver pair has to hook in-line somewhere in the mix but can't find anything on it (I don't read schematics so well anymore, forgot a lot over the years).

I would ask @sixstring, but he doesn't appear to be a member any longer.
Well best bet is you can prolly find him on IG...………… Thought I saw him lurkin round those parts. :D

E

eirI

Hey I’m with you keep taking your neurotin I would think you getting the 800 mg taking throughout the day. I tapered off my dilaudid 4 mg slowly with of course the dr.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Well best bet is you can prolly find him on IG...………… Thought I saw him lurkin round those parts. :D

I figured it out. The "B" type have a second pair of dedicated wires for a 1-10v dimmer, the type with a single pair must pass through a dimmer (not sure what dimmers other than PWM can be used with the single pair type).

Since I don't have a 1-10v potentiometer on hand and the 100w ELG "B" type driver only outputs 70w at 110v, I decided to stay with the 60w and run it through the PWM motor speed controller I just bought. I'll use the 70w to build a 4000k seedling/clone light, as well as use in conjunction with my 3500k lights for a stronger veg. I need to just buy 4x 100w CXB 4000k and swap them all out to 3500k for the flip.

I'm very happy with how it turned out.
20190510 173419

I drilled a hole in the case and the 10a PWM worked perfectly. Looks like a factory install. Another thing I learned was that there's no difference whether a dimmer os marked for use with LED lighting or a motor. In fact, it may behoove you to buy one to drive a motor "speed controller" instead of an LED dimmer because they're the same price but the speed controller is sturdier and has a built in fan port.

Here's a pic of both...

8A dimmer
20190509 010440

10A speed controller w/cooling fan socket
20190507 182453

Haven't tried out the fan socket but I'm betting the fan port is not slowed by the controller and is just an optional active cooling socket.

So a single 10A $10 speed controller serves the purpose of a dimmer and a fan driver...
20190510 004649

When I took the 8A dimmer out of its case to save space the wires were so tiny they broke off from the potentiometer at the solder points...
20190511 035158

...even after I taped it to strengthen the wires. What sh*tty junk, unlike the quality Junk that is, me.

Anyone who is upgrading a fixed wattage driver, let me know, and I'll give you the link to the beefy $10 10A speed controller/fan driver. It even fit the small case better than the sh*tty dimmer that I could not fit while in its housing...
20190509 150130

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Hey I’m with you keep taking your neurotin I would think you getting the 800 mg taking throughout the day. I tapered off my dilaudid 4 mg slowly with of course the dr.

Any neurontin dose over 600mg causes me to have paranoid delusions and panic attacks. It seems that 600mg is the sweet spot for me as 300mg doesn't dampen the nerve pain enough.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 05/10/19 (daily)

Uzi Cookies
20190510 102801

Blue Magoo
20190510 102746

Jack Herer
20190510 102737

Jack Herer
20190510 102726

Uzi Cookies
20190510 102653

K99 (Kashmir99)
20190510 102630
20190510 102428
20190510 102457

Veg-lings for my indoor and mountain-side grows. The dep tent and mountain garden are almost ready. I'm still buulding the growroom for the indoor.
20190510 140906

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I figured it out. The "B" type have a second pair of dedicated wires for a 1-10v dimmer, the type with a single pair must pass through a dimmer (not sure what dimmers other than PWM can be used with the single pair type).

Since I don't have a 1-10v potentiometer on hand and the 100w ELG "B" type driver only outputs 70w at 110v, I decided to stay with the 60w and run it through the PWM motor speed controller I just bought. I'll use the 70w to build a 4000k seedling/clone light, as well as use in conjunction with my 3500k lights for a stronger veg. I need to just buy 4x 100w CXB 4000k and swap them all out to 3500k for the flip.

I'm very happy with how it turned out.
View attachment 869914
I drilled a hole in the case and the 10a PWM worked perfectly. Looks like a factory install. Another thing I learned was that there's no difference whether a dimmer os marked for use with LED lighting or a motor. In fact, it may behoove you to buy one to drive a motor "speed controller" instead of an LED dimmer because they're the same price but the speed controller is sturdier and has a built in fan port.

Here's a pic of both...

8A dimmer
View attachment 869921
10A speed controller w/cooling fan socket
View attachment 869920
Haven't tried out the fan socket but I'm betting the fan port is not slowed by the controller and is just an optional active cooling socket.

So a single 10A $10 speed controller serves the purpose of a dimmer and a fan driver...
View attachment 869917

When I took the 8A dimmer out of its case to save space the wires were so tiny they broke off from the potentiometer at the solder points...
View attachment 869915
...even after I taped it to strengthen the wires. What sh*tty junk, unlike the quality Junk that is, me.

Anyone who is upgrading a fixed wattage driver, let me know, and I'll give you the link to the beefy $10 10A speed controller/fan driver. It even fit the small case better than the sh*tty dimmer that I could not fit while in its housing...
View attachment 869918
Good job getting that done and figuring it out.

Top Bottom