Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Kush buds before pre-trim, around 65% humidity.
20171026 085636

Buds trimmed down to a sise that rolls easily. Long colas cause pile-ups. If you want to keep them in tact then hand trim them. It is very important to cut the stems on the buds as tight as possible. Double check to make sure that all sticks are removed, they can damage the trimmer.
20171026 085651

The bowl trimmer has 8 sets of 3 rubber fingers offset from each other to catch and release buds better. When the crank is turned the rubber fingers roll the buds around a grate with a spinning blade underneath. Anything that passes through the grate gets trimmed off and extremely small buds get eaten up or fall through.
20171026 081447
20171026 081346

Only place a single layer of buds on the screen or they will pile up on the edges.
20171026 084929

It generally takes less than 10 turns of the crank to complete the trimming. Turn crank at an even speed, building up momentum slowly over a couple turns.
20171026 085108

Some buds will still require a little finish trim but not many. (You can spin them more times if you want it tighter but I don't like giving up that much bud)
20171026 081259
20171026 081250

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I just rolled a jay of this sh*t. After I cut it up and put it in the paper it started melting back together, without any heat! I rolled that roint very gingerly as to still allow airflow past the bud. It was like rolling taffy. Took about 10 tries to light it. Another 10 to keep it going until it completely plugged up about 2/3 through. There is no sparking up this roach, it's a rock now. I'm glad I didn't tell my private co-op what I wanted for it yet because it just went to $400 a zip. I'm not parting with it for any less. This sh*t is the real deal.

Sh*t, I am so f^cked off right now.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Farmer P

Farmer P

Here's the link to the 16" bowl trimmer I bought on Amazon. It seemed to me people had less problems with 16". I bet the 19" has the same gears and the larger blade cutting more material causes too much strain on them. Just a guess.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007...SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=bowl+trimmer

Thank you for the write-up. Looks like something I may invest in. Nice to save some time.
Hey on your super weed have you thought about trying to keep a cut and re-veg it? I think if you haven't already chopped it all the way down you should try. When you come across the one it's a good idea to keep it. :smoking:

F

FunkyG

can't believe how popular trimmers are getting.. people would have punched you in the dick 10 years ago for keefing bud and then selling it. just seems lazy and low quality to me. They don't even trim that well and still require hand trimming if you want decent looking buds that have lost part of their potency in the bottom of the barrel.

I've noticed a huge drop in bud quality coming out of the legalized states. Everyones worried about weight and not quality nugs these days it seems. Can't wait till my state gets in on the legal game so we can show peeps how we do it.

We already produce the best beer in the country, ya'll don't want us getting in on the weed game too ;)

Nice lookin buds though my man.. but $400 a zip for machine trimmed buds? O.o you def smokin something.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

can't believe how popular trimmers are getting.. people would have punched you in the dick 10 years ago for keefing bud and then selling it. just seems lazy and low quality to me. They don't even trim that well and still require hand trimming if you want decent looking buds that have lost part of their potency in the bottom of the barrel.

I've noticed a huge drop in bud quality coming out of the legalized states. Everyones worried about weight and not quality nugs these days it seems. Can't wait till my state gets in on the legal game so we can show peeps how we do it.

We already produce the best beer in the country, ya'll don't want us getting in on the weed game too ;)

Nice lookin buds though my man.. but $400 a zip for machine trimmed buds? O.o you def smokin something.

You don't know what you're talking about. I've lost far less potency by machine trimming. Handling the bud pulls far more resin off of them. $400 a zip is street value and is only a few bucks more than the inferior bud sold at dispensaries. I put it at that price because I have no interest in selling it, plus $50 an eighth has been the street standard for over 20 years. The super weed I smoked was machine trimmed. I collected less kief off of the Kush than I did hand trimming my Orange Creamsicle. You're getting inferior bud because you're getting inferior bud, not because of trimming technique. Of course you're going to loose everything when you throw sh*tty a$$ popcorn bud in the machine. You must not have much experience with good quality weed. Come back again when you get some.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Thank you for the write-up. Looks like something I may invest in. Nice to save some time.
Hey on your super weed have you thought about trying to keep a cut and re-veg it? I think if you haven't already chopped it all the way down you should try. When you come across the one it's a good idea to keep it. :smoking:

I did think about it but because of the mites I decided not to. I've had enough of mites this year. It's also why I won't try to get a hold of the clone supplier again.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

...furthermore, I don't know who you think you are, but you've got some f^ckin nerve being brand new and doing a drive-by flame on my well established Grow Diary, accusing me of kiefing bud. If you want to stay a member of this site you might want to show more respect for other people's hard work.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

You're very welcome.

...and, ooh ooh ooh, I did find a seed. Yay! It is probably a ×Chocolate Diesel (I though it was Choc Trainwreck but I guess I was mixed up), but this stuff should add potent to anything. I'm still planning on making my own Royal Dane × Nepal Kush down the road still, it's just that the mites seemed impossible to get rid of fully so I wanted to start over.

Thanks for prompting me to do a more detailed write up than I was planning. People need to stop being afraid of these machines. They really work well. I trimmed all night and filled four paper grocery bags with bud. I've mason jar'd 2.25lbs and still have 2.5 bags to go. I'm super stoked. I just wish you guys were nearby so I could smoke y'all out. Would love to taste what you guys have grown too. Maybe one day we'll actually be able to share with each other without incurring the wrath of the feds.

Toaster79

Toaster79

You're very welcome.

...and, ooh ooh ooh, I did find a seed. Yay! It is probably a ×Chocolate Diesel (I though it was Choc Trainwreck but I guess I was mixed up), but this stuff should add potent to anything. I'm still planning on making my own Royal Dane × Nepal Kush down the road still, it's just that the mites seemed impossible to get rid of fully so I wanted to start over.

Thanks for prompting me to do a more detailed write up than I was planning. People need to stop being afraid of these machines. They really work well. I trimmed all night and filled four paper grocery bags with bud. I've mason jar'd 2.25lbs and still have 2.5 bags to go. I'm super stoked. I just wish you guys were nearby so I could smoke y'all out. Would love to taste what you guys have grown too. Maybe one day we'll actually be able to share with each other without incurring the wrath of the feds.

Slam dunk!

Farmer P

Farmer P

Yeah, that would be nice. I was thinking I'd drive all the way up there for a cut of that dank lol. It's hard to come by a great cut like that. Hopefully your seed will represent its mom well.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Yeah, that would be nice. I was thinking I'd drive all the way up there for a cut of that dank lol. It's hard to come by a great cut like that. Hopefully your seed will represent its mom well.

If I were in better shape I'd drive it down to you. Also, only if there were no mites. You don't want these guys in your garden. You can only beat them back, it seems they are almost impossible to get rid of without destroying the plants.

If I do a successful Dane×Nepal breeding myself or if I can find both male and fem that rep well, I'll cross them back on themselves and we'll figure out a way to get some beans to you. Since we're in the same state we won't break any laws by sharing. But you don't want infested cuts and I'm not set up to start any clones right now. Well, I can start em but I don't have any place to maintain them until my harvest is dry.

F

FunkyG

You don't know what you're talking about. I've lost far less potency by machine trimming. Handling the bud pulls far more resin off of them. $400 a zip is street value and is only a few bucks more than the inferior bud sold at dispensaries. I put it at that price because I have no interest in selling it, plus $50 an eighth has been the street standard for over 20 years. The super weed I smoked was machine trimmed. I collected less kief off of the Kush than I did hand trimming my Orange Creamsicle. You're getting inferior bud because you're getting inferior bud, not because of trimming technique. Of course you're going to loose everything when you throw sh*tty a$$ popcorn bud in the machine. You must not have much experience with good quality weed. Come back again when you get some.

ROFL whatever you say old man.. $400 a zip LOL

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

...and for the off grid winter grow project, my first panel. Super high efficiency 100w monocrystalline panel. Going by the hardware store in a minute to buy rails to setup a 3 panel array. Wanted to get the one first so I can get precise measurements and workout any bugs. This is my first array but I've done my homework.

20171027 154446

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

People can talk all the smack they want about trimmer bowls, but I trimmed over 5.5lbs of bud last night. That is some serious speed and there is very little finish trim to do afterwards. I didn't even bother except for the grape clusters that the fan stems are obvious on.

20171027 200949

That's 40× 1qt mason jars averaging over 61gr ea. +2 1pt jars with another 80gr. I'm happy even after I split it with my cousin. Still have a harvest to do tomorrow as well.

BudBogart

BudBogart

People can talk all the smack they want about trimmer bowls, but I trimmed over 5.5lbs of bud last night. That is some serious speed and there is very little finish trim to do afterwards. I didn't even bother except for the grape clusters that the fan stems are obvious on.

View attachment 753476

That's 40× 1qt mason jars averaging over 61gr ea. +2 1pt jars with another 80gr. I'm happy even after I split it with my cousin. Still have a harvest to do tomorrow as well.

On the flip side, last year I hand trimmed a bazillion buds, just by myself. They have to be trimmed and cured before they go dry. Imagine how shitty a hand trimmed bud gets if you try and trim more than can be reasonably expected. I am sure a machine trimmer would have produced better buds under those circumstances. It's the price we pay for having a bountiful crop. Farmers shouldn't criticize unless they have a better recommendation, mho.

So glad your killing it!

Bud

Top Bottom