Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Yeah I think you're right. The Chinese make them and the distributers sew their patch on them. Wonder if Trump is going to slap a tariff on these babies. The tents are good quality. Heavy duty stitching and zippers no construction flaws and that tent cost me about $150. I did reinforce the hanging supports because they weren't sitting perfect on the cross bars but that just took a little duct tape.

Trump is an idiot. Who knows what that arrogant moron will do next. I couldn't in good conscience vote for anyone the last election. I remember the real estate scams that a$$hat pulled in the 80's that bankrupted him. All the property he stole from people using imminent domain. I'm glad I stopped watching the news a few years back. Now I only have to hear it second hand or from my weekly newspaper when I get Sunday brunch.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Yeah I think you're right. The Chinese make them and the distributers sew their patch on them. Wonder if Trump is going to slap a tariff on these babies. The tents are good quality. Heavy duty stitching and zippers no construction flaws and that tent cost me about $150. I did reinforce the hanging supports because they weren't sitting perfect on the cross bars but that just took a little duct tape.

Hey, on those hanger bars. They just rest on the frame, not lock on? I was wondering about that myself. I was thinking the same thing about the duct tape. I don't want weight and tension to cause them to slide or come loose. If I find a good permanent spot I might drill them and put in some short metal screws. Since I'm buying my lights one at a time I'll end up building a separate frame for them like how stage lighting is hung from catwalks. I've got no issue with fabricating.

Rcubed

Rcubed

Hey, on those hanger bars. They just rest on the frame, not lock on? I was wondering about that myself. I was thinking the same thing about the duct tape. I don't want weight and tension to cause them to slide or come loose. If I find a good permanent spot I might drill them and put in some short metal screws. Since I'm buying my lights one at a time I'll end up building a separate frame for them like how stage lighting is hung from catwalks. I've got no issue with fabricating.
Yeah I thought about putting screws in too but I can see the benefits of keeping them mobile. I noticed that they weren't that stable and I'd hate to bump them and have them come down. I'm 6'4" tall and I'm like a bull in a China shop

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I just unboxed that CF Grow COB. This thing is f^ckin niiiice! Bigger than I expected, and heavy. I'll post up pics later. Maybe even take a look inside if I'm up to it. I will definitely post pics of the internals at some point so the DIYers can get a look.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Sh*t, the single doesnt have a dimmer and can't be daisy chained. My bad, I didn't check this model before ordering. I'm still extremely happy and it will work great for a seedling room or a booster for a bigger unit. It'll definitely help me with a perpetual grow. I'll buy the double next month. I need at least the double to see how the dimmer and daisy chain are wired.

20180408 130708
20180408 130652

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Sh*t, the single doesnt have a dimmer and can't be daisy chained. My bad, I didn't check this model before ordering. I'm still extremely happy and it will work great for a seedling room or a booster for a bigger unit. It'll definitely help me with a perpetual grow. I'll buy the double next month. I need at least the double to see how the dimmer and daisy chain are wired.

View attachment 791129 View attachment 791130

Anyone know how far above the seedlings I should keep this. One of the Amazon reviewers said he measured 400par at 18" (I don't know what that means yet. I'll study up but I wasn't expecting this till tomorrow and my little ones need it ASAP).

They were stretching like crazy under that weak a$$ NanoDome light. This should flatten them out a bit, and even more when the tent arrives. I've got it about 18" from the top of the tallest seedlings. (It's embarrassing how tall they got but I had to give them some sort of light and it was too cold outside)

Wasn't prepared and had to shove stuff out of the way. Still in the middle of trying to make room for the tent.
20180408 135759

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Anyone know how far above the seedlings I should keep this. One of the Amazon reviewers said he measured 400par at 18" (I don't know what that means yet. I'll study up but I wasn't expecting this till tomorrow and my little ones need it ASAP).

They were stretching like crazy under that weak a$$ NanoDome light. This should flatten them out a bit, and even more when the tent arrives. I've got it about 18" from the top of the tallest seedlings. (It's embarrassing how tall they got but I had to give them some sort of light and it was too cold outside)

Wasn't prepared and had to shove stuff out of the way. Still in the middle of trying to make room for the tent.
View attachment 791146

I've got it down to about 12" from the bottom of the diffuser to the tallest seedling. I had it a little higher than this the first day, maybe 16" and the leaves down slightly. I learned from my outdoor plants that this wasn't from too much light it's from too little water. I dosed them with a few tablespoons of water here and there until they, lowering the lamp each time

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

(Sh*t!, I crashed out while writing the last post and it got locked in all stupid, like. )

I would periodically add room temp water and lower the lamp a few clicks at the same time. It's a very forgiving grow lamp, but at the same time, very powerful. I'm still blown away that it's only 100watts and runs extremely cool. So remember this trick of training your seedlings to properly hydrate and don't settle for your lamps first elevation.

Here are my girls at about a foot from the diffuser. Already starting up their second set of true leaves.

20180410 142925

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

(Sh*t!, I crashed out while writing the last post and it got locked in all stupid, like. )

I would periodically add room temp water and lower the lamp a few clicks at the same time. It's a very forgiving grow lamp, but at the same time, very powerful. I'm still blown away that it's only 100watts and runs extremely cool. So remember this trick of training your seedlings to properly hydrate and don't settle for your lamps first elevation.

Here are my girls at about a foot from the diffuser. Already starting up their second set of true leaves.

View attachment 791714

I have some close-ups but for some reason I can't get them to upload. I'll get fresh ones when I fire up the lamp again in about an hour.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I decided to drop a gang of beans. Banana Crack, Banana Ice Cream, Royal Nepal Kush and Orange Creamsicle (from my own stock), and some unknown that came with an order as freebies (calling them Idunnoes). Going to split them between indoor and outdoor.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Got the 48x24x60 tent set up. The light fixture itself looks very underwhelming inside of it but the actual light output is even more impressive than it was before. Still, I'll need a double at least to grow plants to full sise in here.

20180412 133008
20180412 133204

Rcubed

Rcubed

Yup. I'm kinda surprised though. Thought it was going to cost me a lot more to get started indoors. Even if I spend another $315 on a double it's less than I originally thought.
Yeah, when I bought my cmh fixtures I only gave 150 each. Bought the bulbs separate and saved about half the cost. Shop around and it'll surprise you how much you can save

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Was trying to figure out where my wilt/burnt tips were coming from. Thought the light might have been too close. They did do better when I moved it back up to around 18" but that wasn't the problem. It's been cold at night in my trailer so I was using a seedling heating mat at night to keep the soil warm. They do NOT like it. Lesson learned. Keeping a bunch of bananas in the tent to produce ethylene gas and running the light at 15hrs for more females.

They'll perk back up soon. These spring storms are causing some serious temp fluctuations and it's hard to keep up. Started the tent with the fan at the bottom but tent was staying too cool. Switched it to the top and closed the upper vents to utilise the very little heat produced by the lamp and it gave me about a 10F deg bump.
20180416 080944
20180416 081049

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Was trying to figure out where my wilt/burnt tips were coming from. Thought the light might have been too close. They did do better when I moved it back up to around 18" but that wasn't the problem. It's been cold at night in my trailer so I was using a seedling heating mat at night to keep the soil warm. They do NOT like it. Lesson learned. Keeping a bunch of bananas in the tent to produce ethylene gas and running the light at 15hrs for more females.

They'll perk back up soon. These spring storms are causing some serious temp fluctuations and it's hard to keep up. Started the tent with the fan at the bottom but tent was staying too cool. Switched it to the top and closed the upper vents to utilise the very little heat produced by the lamp and it gave me about a 10F deg bump.
View attachment 793110 View attachment 793111

Had Strep throat the last couple weeks. I've been keeping myself on a self imposed quarantine. As soon as I'm better I'll get some new plastic plant markers for labels. This finding stuff around the house sh*t is not working out well. lol

Farmer P

Farmer P

Lol you were doing great until the paper ones. I once cut a solo cup up into strips and used them as stakes. The white part on the inside takes the ink and shows it well. Looks like things are moving right along. Hopefully were going to see some more monster royal nepal kush colas this summer. :smoking: I got my mosquito netting up so everything's pretty much ready outside, I'm just keeping the indoor going as long as I can. Soon it will be too hot to run lights in my garage.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Lol you were doing great until the paper ones. I once cut a solo cup up into strips and used them as stakes. The white part on the inside takes the ink and shows it well. Looks like things are moving right along. Hopefully were going to see some more monster royal nepal kush colas this summer. :smoking: I got my mosquito netting up so everything's pretty much ready outside, I'm just keeping the indoor going as long as I can. Soon it will be too hot to run lights in my garage.

I started with what looked like my weakest RNK seeds with all the others and they didn't pop (waste not, want not) so I moved on to the fat healthy ones this round (still have one nice one left, couldn't figure out how to get any safely sent to you but maybe these will have a few seeds again this year. Wish you were closer I'd drive them over). Those are the new ones with the strips of Amazon gift card for markers, lol (worked very well).

Battling with this f^cked up cold weather system, staying up all night to make sure my little propane heater keeps burning. I get about 6hrs per 1lb can and I refill them myself off my home made filling system.
20180417 100257
20180417 100329
20180417 101244

My poor girls (and probably but hopefully not too many males) were suffering through low 50's last night. Outside it was in the low 40's. I'd run two heaters but don't want to die from carbon monoxide poisoning. I only run two when I can open the windows, and I only do that during low 30's temps but they are much more fragile than me and wouldn't survive it. There are enough air gaps in the trailer to run one with closed windows but to keep the heat concentrated I usually close off the back where they are currently growing. It's a b*tch. Hopefully these mid 70's temps coming will hold and with another two COB fixture I'm buying soon I'll get some real growth.

Kicking myself for not buying the, cheaper by the watt, $170 400w COB array that had complaints of being very hot. But I was trying to consider how hot it will get this summer and how much I can afford to shell out altogether for lighting fixtures this spring. I'll probably buy the hot array this fall in preparation for growing next spring.
20180417 103331

Just got it up to 65F as I was writing this.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Once the Royal Nepal's sex and if I get some fems, maybe we can figure out a way to get some clones to you. I don't know what they'll become this year because I don't know if it was my neighbor's plants going hermie or if they were random spontaneous A-sex beans. Preferably the latter. I've read there can be random seeds with no males or hermies.

If I do get males I might collect some pollen to make some interesting 'X's but I need to see how my setup works out first. Growing males around here is a good way to piss off the whole neighborhood, ROFL.

Farmer P

Farmer P

Once the Royal Nepal's sex and if I get some fems, maybe we can figure out a way to get some clones to you. I don't know what they'll become this year because I don't know if it was my neighbor's plants going hermie or if they were random spontaneous A-sex beans. Preferably the latter. I've read there can be random seeds with no males or hermies.

If I do get males I might collect some pollen to make some interesting 'X's but I need to see how my setup works out first. Growing males around here is a good way to piss off the whole neighborhood, ROFL.
Cool bro, I have enough to keep me busy for quite a while since I only flower 3 at a time, but if you find a sure keeper it would be cool. Maybe a swap of some sort will be in order eventually. Man I'm liking the frost on these black mambas. 26 days in and I got good looking clones of them too. Hopefully a keeper but we'll see.

20180417 171559
20180417 171607

Latest posts

Top Bottom